8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
Roof Hyd Cylinder Repair Information

Gary Medcalf had a roof lift cylinder fail, leak at bottom of cylinder.

As a result of his Dealer saying "NO longer available" we scrambled to see what was doable.

The following will be our Best Option, in my opinion.

I sent email to Top Hydraulics, Inc.

Here is what I got back from my email to:

Klaus Witte

Top Hydraulics, Inc.
90730 Southview Lane
Florence, OR 97439
(541) 902 3214

www.tophydraulicsinc.com

Top Hydraulics | Rebuilt and Upgraded Convertible Top Cylinders, Pumps, Hydraulic Lines - Top Hydraulics, Inc

Hello Dick,
Good to hear from you again. I am very impressed by the way you support forum and chapter members - you are a blessing for the SSR community!

We rebuild SSR hydraulic cylinders literally on a daily basis. It is quite normal for these cylinders to fail at this age. In warm climates, the life expectancy of the hydraulic cylinder seals can be even less than ten years. The first ones to fail are the left or right "Roof hydraulic cylinder", also known as main lift cylinders. They will normally start leaking on the bottom, where the mounting pin goes through the cylinder. Do your chapter member a favor, and recommend having at least left side and right side cylinder upgraded by us at the same time. They have identical seals, and those seals fail practically at the same time. Once the system has full pressure again, it is almost certain that the matching cylinder on the other side will fail instantly, within days, or latest within weeks. Unfortunately, these two cylinders involve by far the most work to remove from the car.

The cylinders need to be removed from the car and sent to us for rebuild/upgrade service - we do not stock them. Average turn around is currently one day. See Rebuild/Upgrade Service for Chevy SSR Convertible Hydraulic Components - Top Hydraulics, Inc. Ultimately, we end up replacing and upgrading seven seals per cylinder. I expect our seals to last about three times as long as the originals, under similar circumstances. $150 per cylinder (or $900 for all eight cylinders) plus $10 shipping per order.

Sincerely,

Klaus Witte

NOTE: Gary's roof cylinder DID start leaking at the bottom near mounting pin, just like Klaus said.

I email Klaus back and informed him the R in question was at the Dealer w/extended warranty.

His answer:

Dick,
I suppose the dealer will replace only one cylinder at a time, and they will cringe at the extra time it takes to send in the cylinder, but we are their only option. Most dealers are quite happy to find us... :-)
I am surprised there is not more talk on the forum yet about failed hydraulic cylinders, since we are rebuilding a lot of them. We are probably dealing with the tip of the iceberg right now, and there will be a lot more chatter soon with Chevy being out of stock and these cylinders not being manufactured any more. I hope that Gary will report about his experience on the forum, and I hope that ultimately a hands-on forum member might work with us in creating step-by-step cylinder replacement DIYs.

Gary Medcalf aka GLMSSR04 is negotiating with the Dealer on repairing BOTH cylinders in his Roof Compartment.

This means, the roof cylinders are repairable. To me, that is good News.

Gary's Dealer has removed and is sending BOTH hyd cylinders to be updated and repaired.

Dicktator
ABLUR05 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 10:24 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Location: Trinity, Florida (Winter), Caledonia, Michigan (Summer)

My SSR:
06 Pacific Blue W/Chrome Package
Great Info!!
I saved this info to file for future use.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 04:52 PM

missing roof release tool

Hello I am currently having the Hydraulics replaced on my roof but i do not have the tool to release the roof and they are now no longer available to buy is there a tool that will do the same job that you can recommend or will i have to flag down and borrow one from a fellow ssr owner ....Thank You Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by schem003 View Post
Hello I am currently having the Hydraulics replaced on my roof but i do not have the tool to release the roof and they are now no longer available to buy is there a tool that will do the same job that you can recommend or will i have to flag down and borrow one from a fellow ssr owner ....Thank You Mark
No you don't have to borrow one.

I have Roof Tools. We made some when GM stopped.

PM me with your address

I take PayPal: [email protected]

Tool is $70.00 plus $5.00 to mail

Dicktator
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3546.JPG
Views:	736
Size:	623.3 KB
ID:	172961   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3544.JPG
Views:	608
Size:	493.4 KB
ID:	172969   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3545.JPG
Views:	520
Size:	451.4 KB
ID:	172977   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3547.JPG
Views:	529
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	172985  
Marc NY likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 09:25 AM

I have a 1995 SL500 M/B and there is a leak in the rear of the car do you haveany information so as I can find where they are and how to get to them so as to remove and send them to you? R J Weber [email protected]
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 09:54 AM
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R J Weber View Post
I have a 1995 SL500 M/B and there is a leak in the rear of the car do you haveany information so as I can find where they are and how to get to them so as to remove and send them to you? R J Weber [email protected]
Hello R J,

You have a Mercedes R129 chassis SL-Class, and you posted on the Chevy SSR forum. That was probably an oversight while you were googling the subject, or you were trying to reach Top Hydraulics directly. I find that the best forum for Mercedes R129s is R129 SL Class - Mercedes-Benz Forum. This forum has a dedicated section with salient threads dedicated to hydraulic top questions: R129 soft top 'Hydraulic System' ultimate thread - Mercedes-Benz Forum. To contact Top Hydraulics directly, please email us at [email protected].

I don't want to bore SSR owners with Mercedes talk. The Mercedes R129 SL-Class has twelve hydraulic cylinders, they all fail at some point (using the same seal material as the SSR cylinders), and Top Hydraulics' upgrade should give them another 30-50 years of service life. You must have some serious leaks if you still have the original cylinders in your '95. There is much more info on Top Hydraulics' website, including detailed DIY instructions to check for leaks, R&R of cylinders, and FAQs.

Klaus

Upgrading SSR folding top cylinders, pumps & hydraulic lines

Folding top hydraulic cylinder p/n's:

post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 01:19 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Kudos Klaus, very professional and very smooth.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 09:18 PM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
Nice job Klaus.......

Mike

One of the "Blues Brothers"

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 05:30 PM

Getting this message: TLAT Hall Switch Fault followed by Roof Cycle Time Out. Any suggestions on how to fix?

O-YELLA '03
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 01:24 PM

Who in the Tampa area can do the repair if the cylinders are ordered thru Top Hydraulics?
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by david norton View Post
Who in the Tampa area can do the repair if the cylinders are ordered thru Top Hydraulics?
The total removal/rebuild/install can be done in Florida by:

Cabrolet Hydraulics
3007 62nd Ave East
Bradenton, Fl 34203
Phone 941-756-1300

Tell Zig (Owner) Dicktator told you to call.

Dicktator

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 02:51 PM

Garage
Rating on Top Hydraulics, Inc.

I have the same/similiar issue of a bad roof cylinder on my 2004 SSR, plus a bad hydraulic roof hose. I have been told I need:

hydraulic hose GM part #88980386
cylinder GM part #88980385

Anyone that has used Top Hydraulics, Inc. have anything good/bad to say about their rebuild quality? Or higher recommendations for obtaining this part?

Also, best suggestions for getting the hydraulic hose? Or best choice in getting one of OEM quality?

Thanks!
Celeste
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 04:24 PM
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR

My SSR:
2005 Slingshot Yellow (O-YLR) 2005 Flame Pace Trk (CFO's)
Celeste

I have been involved with several roof cylinder repairs where the cylinders were repaired by Top Hydraulics in Oregon. The rebuild work on each of those cylinders was of very high quality. I believe that Cabriolet out of Florida offers similar workmanship. It is more a function of location than anything else. Expect about a week to week and a half turn around. You will most likely not find OEM cylinders nor hoses available, so will have to rebuild your cylinder(s) and use aftermarket hoses if you need them.

While on the subject, you are way better off rebuilding all 8 cylinders while you are at it, because all will fail in short order after the first seal failure. Otherwise, you will be going back into the system time and time again if you fix just the single cylinder that is currently leaking?
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 05:27 PM
Dr Who
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Redline Red
I did all eight of mine about a month ago. I used Cabriolet....shipped them on Monday, had them back on Friday. They even gave me a follow-up call.They also have the hoses and clips. I did not see a reason to replace the hoses and I think that would be a major job to do so. Also, they have extra clips for the hoses. lost one of mine during the install and had to wait for a replacement to finish the job. Therefore, I would recommend having a spare clip sent back with the cylinders....to play it safe.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 02:44 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

I had the 2 main cylinders rebuilt in April 2017, and every thing worked fine untill a few weeks ago when the top came up it tore my wind screen off. Apparently the cylinders are starting to fail or could it be another one is going bad ? I open and close the top every day and when it opens in the last second or so you can hear it drop or thud . Any advise would be appreciated Ralph Doerner as kloss
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 05:09 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
kloss, it sounds like your roof struts are shot. They assist the hydraulic cylinders with the weight of the roof.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 05:42 PM

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kloss View Post
I had the 2 main cylinders rebuilt in April 2017, and every thing worked fine untill a few weeks ago when the top came up it tore my wind screen off.
Whoa!!--what Windscreen do you have? OEM or aftermarket? Is it a new addition, if not, has there been any indication that it is that close to the top? I know, a lot of questions, but I can't imagine the top hydraulics or struts having anything to do with the top hitting it.

Nick '06 Smokin Asphalt FPR & Kathy '04 Ultra Violet
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 09:12 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2003 @ 2006
Garage
If anyone needs a roof tool living close to Vegas I have one I can loan. Right now chasing onnaue issues and rattles that seem to be coming from roof mechanism? If you get a chance Dick I've me your take on the rattles I know we talked on the tonnaue cover..Jersey
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 11:16 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur, #15535, auto, aux guages, Joe's tune, Mike's spare tire kit, upgrades, BOD: 9/24/2004
Hi,

I just had a wonderful conversation with Klaus concerning replacing all eight cylinders on my top. Although I have not experienced any issues with the top, I know that it is just a matter of time before one will leak and fail.

I am fortunate to live so close, less than 200 miles, to their shop. I will wait until later in the year when the shop is not so busy to have the work done. I will plan a trip down upon our return from Denison.

We can enjoy the Oregon coast around Florence while upgrading the roof to ensure years of Permagrin magic!

David
Hollister SSR likes this.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 12:42 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

The windscreen came with the R when I bought it in 2005. When putting the top down, now it seems like it flies lower, it could be my imagination? When it gets to the vertical position it wants to just drop. It comes down so quickly it makes a pretty loud thud. I try to stop the motion just before it hits bottom, hoping to stop the loud thud, but it doesn’t work. Is there a fix or am I just going to have to put new pads down?
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 01:00 PM

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
Kloss---See post #16 above. I agree probably Roof Struts causing the "thud" when it drops down. I'm kinda new but if it actually hit/tore the Screen off that would be something altogether different. Never heard of that happening!?
ALSO--Go to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" it will show in the left column under your name and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

Nick '06 Smokin Asphalt FPR & Kathy '04 Ultra Violet
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 05:10 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Smokin' Asphalt, Automatic, bought March 2016, #16765
The thud is a tell-tale sign that the roof support struts are shot. LST Roof Struts

Edit: And they are not difficult to install.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 06:07 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06 Pac Blue FPR auto #23823 build date 03/08/2006 ZR6 Zone Show Vehicle named BluByU
Dicktator also has a fix for the pads that the roof rests on. As he suggested, I used a flip flop cut to size and glued down. Works great.

Dave
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 06:35 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Two Tone Jet Black&Chrome Auto
That thug you hear

The lift struts when working properly support 160 lbs of the weight of the top. When they lose their capacity to support the top and the last couple of feet of drop is when the most weight is on the struts. As the top drops that couple of feet, the hydraulic pressure spikes in the system putting an undue load on the seals of the cylinders. This will blow the seals and cause the cylinders to leak and need repair.

Order the Top Lift Cylinders from Simple Engineering. click this link http://shop.simple-engineering.com/c...c?categoryId=8 Takes about twenty minutes to replace. $194 for the pair.

Jack

It is not easy being a Hyper Old Person.

Jack Pruitt
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatg450 View Post
The lift struts when working properly support 160 lbs of the weight of the top. When they lose their capacity to support the top and the last couple of feet of drop is when the most weight is on the struts. As the top drops that couple of feet, the hydraulic pressure spikes in the system putting and undue load on the seals of the cylinders. This will blow the seals and cause the cylinders to leak and need repair.

Order the Top Lift Cylinders from Simple Engineering. click this link Lift Supports - Simple Engineering Takes about twenty minutes to replace. $194 for the pair.

Jack
Jack is correct! The Pneumatic Struts are to "Buffer" the roof when stowing in roof compartment, one each side, 130lbs each, total 260lbs. Our Roof is STEEL.

GM did not put a seal at bottom of lift cylinder to compensate for loss pressure in pneumatic cylinders. Thus, according to Top Hydraulics and Cabriolet Hydraulics, this allows a "Jack Hammer" effect on your Hydraulic System and failure.

Easy to replace and IF your roof is "dropping" the last 3/4 inches!! You should change Pneumatic Cylinders.

IF you have rebuilt your cylinders, you should replace your Pneumatic Cylinders.

Rebuilt Cylinders and Pneumatic Cylinders replaced, GOOD for another 10yrs.

To Order: Lift Supports - Simple Engineering

My SSR How to Library has a lot of information and instructions, FREE!

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D...F39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator

post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 10:20 AM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzi Guy View Post
Dicktator also has a fix for the pads that the roof rests on. As he suggested, I used a flip flop cut to size and glued down. Works great.

Dave
Hey Dave...... You have to be careful when padding the small area that gets cut. The thing that actually cuts that pad is the HEADLINER..... not the roof itself. The other thing that is important is to remember that the roof has to travel all the way to the bottom of the compartment. There is a lock that captures the roof assembly when the roof compartment cover closes. It looks like a gate latch at the bottom on each side and has a cable coming to it from the lid hinge.

Regards,

Mike

One of the "Blues Brothers"

post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 10:55 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06 Pac Blue FPR auto #23823 build date 03/08/2006 ZR6 Zone Show Vehicle named BluByU
Thanks Mike for the clarification. I was careful with the thickness of the flip flop and made sure it didn't exceed the height of the surrounding pad.

Dave
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 03:18 PM

Well, I guess it's my turn. My cylinders lasted almost 14 years. Found a puddle of fluid on the passenger side. Question for you experts: How long should I expect the removal of all 8 cylinders to take? I want to have them all rebuilt. I'm just looking for an estimate, please.
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 03:27 PM
Dr Who
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Redline Red
I guess it would depend on the skill set of who is removing them. It took me about 3 to 4 hours. the upper ones are not difficult, the bottom two took some work. Main issues were getting to them in the limited space of the storage compartment. Dictators instructions were great! Review them before you start. Mark each cylinder as to where and which side it goes on. Also, there is a little clip that holds the hydraulic line to the cylinder. BE CAREFUL, EASY TO LOSE. I suggest getting a spare or two sent to you when they return the cylinders to you...just in case. I also recommend taking pictures as you go along, so you will have something to refer to when put them back on.
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 03:38 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Smokin' Asphalt (Canadian specifications)
Garage
This link has a huge amount of info including a video on hydraulic cylinder replacement,procedure and time involved.

DIY Convertible Hydraulic System Replacement Video - Chevy SSR Forum

Hope I got the link pasted properly ...

Ken
Vancouver Island, Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in