5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 06:48 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
ABS light came on!

Mine came on just before I left for my trip NORTH. Gone 6 weeks, 4917.4 miles and the light came on, sometimes. Cruise Control,traction control are in this circuit.
My cruise/traction control worked fine and so did my brakes. Just no "anti skid".

When in New Jersey at BSTPAPA, put on Tech 2, said check grounds. Eric, Bob's Son had his crew redo all the grounds. Didn't help!

When I returned to Walters in New Jersey and we put it on the lift, we did the next phase of the manual and Tech 2 codes. Check connectors and data cable and wheel sensors.

03/04 has two wheel sensors, one on each front wheel. Rear wheels are read by sensor in transmission. Reads drive shaft RPM I quess. This also sends signal to Cruise Control and Traction Control plus speedometer.
(05/06 has wheel sensor on each wheel)

Did all that and still had ABS light. Spoke with Dan Schultz and he suggested dielectric grease on the connectors to insure conductivity.
NOPE!

Back to the Manual - Says "Your Screwed, order a EBCM". I DID!
E lectrnoic B rake C ontrol M odule. This is the PC board that communicates with the PCM. PBMV is other module for Valve. P ower B rake M odule V alve.

I have been told that the valve is a rare failure.

I will post my results after the install in a week or so. Part had to be ordered.

Best Price on EBCM, Marc in Cailf SSRToys

Dicktator

1. Main Ground for ABS. Located on Frame, drivers door, behind front fender.
2. Connector front wheel sensor. Remove, sprayed with contact cleaner.
3. EBCM connector. One for Data Cable other for 12volt power
4. Connector Data Cable. Cleaned and used die electric grease
5. 12 volt power cable, cleaned replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0519.JPG
Views:	1575
Size:	472.6 KB
ID:	118754   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0468.JPG
Views:	906
Size:	597.2 KB
ID:	118755   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0469.JPG
Views:	1140
Size:	534.5 KB
ID:	118756   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0470.JPG
Views:	1310
Size:	453.0 KB
ID:	118757   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0478.JPG
Views:	984
Size:	431.3 KB
ID:	118758  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 08:20 PM

My SSR:
03 Black #1814
Dicktator,
Can't wait to hear your results. Great pics and info. How much was the EBCM? Do you know if yours was just rebuildable?
post #33 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 12:31 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
Dicktator,
Can't wait to hear your results. Great pics and info. How much was the EBCM? Do you know if yours was just rebuild-able?
I would rather not post a price, not knowing if it has or will change but it was the lowest price on a NEW ECBM.

I understand there is a place in Tenn. that rebuilds them. I want our Florida Electronic "Guru" Ed Borland to look at the old one and see if it is repairable and how difficult is it.

Dicktator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 08:00 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Had mine replaced under extended warranty, so no clue what it cost.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #35 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 05:37 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
05 AUTO SMKN ASPHALT(DOES NOT WANT TO GO HOME)
Abs

I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE....HAVE BEEN IN CONTACT WITH FOLKS IN TENNESSEE THAT REBUILD THE UNIT...IT IS LIKELY THE INTERNAL RELAY CAUSING THE PROBLEM....COST IS $149.00(PLUS SHIPPING) (LIFETIME WARRANTY)....THEIR EMAIL IS [email protected] (phone #18669836688.....THIS IS A MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE OPTION......THAN BUYING NEW..ESPECIALLY SINCE WE STILL HAVE BRAKES SO THEIR IS NO INTERUPTION OF THE PERMAGRIN FACTOR....CHUCKSTR
post #36 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 07:05 AM

My SSR:
Black, '03, 1sb, #1256 and '05
After having mine cleaned up last year, I didn't have the error code for a long time. Recently in the rain or if I hit a hard bump, I will get the error code again.....but it goes away on the next start up, so I won't be doing anything for it until that changes.
post #37 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 10:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to hottoddy6757 Send a message via Yahoo to hottoddy6757
YOU are Fixing the wrong thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
What has anyone done about fixing this "Service Brake System" problem? Are a lot of you guys just doing what I have been doing and ignoring it? How much is a replacement sensor? Has anyone sent theirs out for repair?
I fixed mine. Read my Diagnosis & Repair.
post #38 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 05:01 AM

ABS Warning light

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottoddy6757 View Post
I fixed mine. Read my Diagnosis & Repair.
Where is your diagnosis and repair ?
post #39 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 08:57 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
My repair with pictures is under Technical, sticky, called ABS BRAKE PROBLEM/PICTURES.

It was, in my case the EBCM which is the electronic half of the ABS System.

Top half, EBCM consist of PC Board and solenoids, bottom half is PBMV which is the hyd part of the ABS.

You can see from my pictures what we did.

GM Tech 2 Scan Tool said "Check grounds First". Did that! No go.
Check all wheel sensors, Did that!
Check/Clean all connectors, Did that!
Change EBCM, BINGO!

Note that the ABS unit is only 5/6 inches from Catalytic converter. Electronic components do not like heat. Converter runs at about 1800 degrees.

E lectronic B rake C ontrol M odule
P ower B rake M odule V alve

Dicktator

1. ABS Brake
2. Unbolt bracket from frame, carefully
3. Data Cable connector
4. NEW EBCM bolt to bottom half, note pins slide into solenoids.
5. NO room to work and if you pull down to much on ABS Brake, you will break hyd lines to wheel cylinders. Which is the PBMV. If that happens, you will need to replace EVERYTHING!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0477.JPG
Views:	778
Size:	400.3 KB
ID:	119165   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0560.JPG
Views:	1342
Size:	461.0 KB
ID:	119166   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0564.JPG
Views:	827
Size:	517.6 KB
ID:	119167   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0587.JPG
Views:	741
Size:	511.8 KB
ID:	119168   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0576.JPG
Views:	1240
Size:	532.5 KB
ID:	119169  

post #40 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 02:46 AM

My SSR:
2003 Red SSR
I got new brakes, but my system brake lights keep coming one, I can drive for a while and the service lights come on but my brakes are working fine. What should I do?
post #41 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 08:10 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman30 View Post
I got new brakes, but my system brake lights keep coming one, I can drive for a while and the service lights come on but my brakes are working fine. What should I do?
I suggest:

Manual says "Check connections first".

If you can get under your R, disconnect, clean, spray w/contact cleaner and replace. The ABS system is located under driver, on frame.

Can take it to Advance Auto, Autozone, have code read.

Maybe EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module) is acting up. Common Problem with our ABS.

Dicktator

post #42 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 06:28 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
I bought the NEW EBCM a year ago, before I learned about MyAirBags.Com in Ga. can do the EBCM repair for $59.00 plus shipping.

Also Dragon2U does the repair for just the cost of mailing.

Anyway, my NEW EBCM is failing already, so I am now of the opinion having the EBCM repaired is BETTER than buying a new one with the built in problem.

Dicktator

post #43 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 06:53 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 SILVER/P BLUE FPR,06 PACIFIC BLUE SSR
I had the ding, ding, ding and service brake system light on. I did a search and found this helpful thread and located the ground wire on the frame, under the drivers door. Took it off, used a wire brush in a drill to clean the frame, wire connector and the bolt. Put it back together and prayed primer on to seal it. I took it for a ride and no dinging and no warning light servicing braking system! I can't thank you guys enough for all this good information that is on this site! I know I saved a lot of $ from reading this thread and the problem was solved quickly! Joining this site has to be the biggest bargain for SSR owners! Again, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!
post #44 of 66 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 10:45 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Ops! Took it for a long drive today and problem is back. I am getting one of Mike's heat shields from the Dicktator on March 1st. Still very good info on how to solve problems, I am starting with the cheap fix first and work up the $ tree!
post #45 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 03:07 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Had my front brake calipers replaced today because the brakes squeaked really bad! Total price was $245, $124 for calipers, $105 labor and $16.03 sales tax and guess what, no beep, beep, beep came on about "service brake system ". Looks like it killed two birds with one stone! I will let u know if that changes! Ok, it is Miller time! I still have to install Mike's heat shield to help protect the brake modular from the heat of the catalytic converter. Tomorrow for sure!
post #46 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 03:14 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
I have been dragging my feet posting about my brake module problem, it did not go away. I will have to get it repaired. I was so hoping it was solved! If I take off the EBCM, can I still drive it? Thanks!
post #47 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 02:18 PM

Is there any way to disable the chime for the 'service brake system' message on the DIC?
post #48 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 03:15 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpychip View Post
Is there any way to disable the chime for the 'service brake system' message on the DIC?
Repair the ABS module and add Mikes heat shield. If that doesn't do the trick then you have another problem and need to get that fixed. The barkes are nothing to ignore, which is why they put the chime on the alarm.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #49 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 04:32 PM

I had the brakes checked by a local mechanic (no GM dealer close by) and he said the brakes were fine. Can the ABS module and heat shield be purchased online? I tried cleaning the ground but it didn't help.
post #50 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 06:25 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Dragon2u can repair it for you for the cost of postage (send him a PM) and the heat shield is available from www.sinple-engineering.com

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #51 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 06:00 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpychip View Post
I had the brakes checked by a local mechanic (no GM dealer close by) and he said the brakes were fine. Can the ABS module and heat shield be purchased online? I tried cleaning the ground but it didn't help.
Go to Tech Discussions/SSR How To Library, 1st one is ABS

Here is link:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=3EF39...5ADCE5E5%21105

Dicktator

post #52 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 07:01 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesteib View Post
Where is your diagnosis and repair ?
Here you go: https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/s...2/#post1087916

See Post #30

My Service Brakes soon started 3 weeks ago. I have Changed Brake Booster & Brake Stop Light Switch. No Help. Changed after a PO265 DTC at recommendation of Auto Parts Manager with a 2004 Silverado with 245,000. New Front Rotors & Pads. The Hubs & Bleed all Green Brake Fluid out with Fresh Synthetic Brake Fluid. Still have Service Brake soon. Had Instrument Cluster replaced with New Cluster at USSPEEDO.COM in Flint Mi. Still have the DTC & Display Message. Checked Grounds & Cleaned. Still Have problem. But after all this? The Service Brake soon come on after driving 100 feet. Stop Restart. All Lights go Off. 100 feet Back on again. My Problem is all First year was Over Heating. Changed Radiator Cooling Fan & Water Pump & Coolant Tank. Flushed system. $1000. Changed Alternator, Battery & Belts $500. Changed all Switches on Steering Wheel & Dimmer Switch $300 Heater Fan $250. Four Firestone Fire Hawks Tires $1250. 2 Attempted thefts $2500 Damage. Rear Ended $8500 Damage. When will it all end? New information is that the Motor the runs the ABS is Bad. I bought a recycled EBCM for $237 from Spalding Auto Parts in Washington State. I removed my malfunctioning unit. Placed the recycled EBCM in place. Bleed the system. It took 2 Large Bottles of Valvoline Synthetic Brake fluid. After I bleed to get a Firm Pedal with Engine off. I started engine & while on Jacks all wheels removed. I ran the Transmission in Drive applying Brakes & Traction control. Shut it off. Went back through all wheels Bleeding again. No trouble lights & good Brake Pedal feel. I went to O"Riley's auto Parts in Oregon Ohio & had Erica who has been a BIG Help, Check my ABS DTC. She cleared all DTC. With a BIG Thank You. I drove 100 miles today with No Trouble Lights. To all SSR owners with this Problem. Check Ground on Frame next to EBCM. Big Black Wire. Get Maintenance Manual to know what to Check with a Multi Meter for Ohms at Motor. If Infinite. Bad Motor. Check for Voltage at Plug. Should be 10 to 12 volts. Drain all Fluid & fill with Fresh Brake fluid. Bleed completely! Check Brake Pads & Calipers. I had a Bad Hub & Wheel Speed sensor. Have insturment Cluster checked. Mine was Shorted Worn out $1000 My SSR Is back on the Road. Contact me at [email protected] I have all the tests & trouble shooting. Ignition switch is not Bad or does it have anything to do with the EBCM. Check the Switch on Hand Brake. Mine was not always working & causing Headlights to Not come on when released. May need adjustment. Also Make a Heat Shield Guard for EBCM. Catalytic Converter is less than 1 inch from EBCM & is Boiling Fluid & Heating up EBCM causing Failure.
post #53 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 05:35 PM
Jim-n-Tanya

My SSR:
2003 Slingshot Yellow Vin#2062; Kenwood Stereo with JL Audio Components; ASC BodyKit; Katzkin Seats
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SSR03 Send a message via Skype™ to SSR03
Wow

So many things to go wrong and so little time to enjoy. WHY? I drive mine everyday to work but every time I get in I'm always noticing something else going wacko...

Jim K

post #54 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 06:29 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR03 View Post
So many things to go wrong and so little time to enjoy. WHY? I drive mine everyday to work but every time I get in I'm always noticing something else going wacko...
I drive mine everyday, yes, somethings go wrong on a car 12 YEARS OLD and 120,000 miles. That is what I have on mine. It's been to Canada twice.

I have tried to share repairs/upgrades with SSR Fanatics.

For me, part of the FUN of owning a ONE of KIND, Collector Car, is keeping it going or making upgrades that GM didn't.

That is why I created the SSR HOW TO LIBRARY, to help other owners. IT IS FREE!

Link:https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D...F39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4505.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	351106   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4516.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	351114   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4517.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	351122   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1051.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	351130   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4428.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	351138  

RedlineRyder likes this.

post #55 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 09:30 AM

Location: Roseville, CA well actually live in North Highlands and work in Roseville.

My SSR:
2006 6spd Ricochet Silver with Blue Flames. Yes, I bought WaySouth6speed's baby truck!
Garage
Character!

Quote:
If I worried about something big going wrong every time my R glitched or did something a little odd I would be chasing all sorts of ghosts in the machine. She keeps me on my toes and makes sure I pay attention to her but rarely is it a repeated problem or even one I can duplicate, let alone fix. Driver door window indexing may get weird and require me to open the outside door latch before closing the door to get it sealed right. Radio may stay on when I get out of the car and then turn off fine the next. Just little things to keep me guessing. I drive her, enjoy her, and just consider it part of her charm.
post #56 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 12:46 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
They be not glitches, they be features.
sillypuddy likes this.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #57 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 07:58 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Redline Red Six speed
Garage
Quote:
All vehicles have issues at some point in time. Even the most reliable brands. It's seems that ours is "reliable" in some areas and not so much in others. But... what's great, is that this group of Fanatics provides great support in preventing, repairing, and modifying our SSR's. Which makes them more reliable and enjoyable.
Hats off to all who contribute to the knowledge base!

Brian
roylee and sillypuddy like this.
post #58 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 03:16 AM

Service Brake System & stability control system disabled

I've replaced the brake fluid on my 2006 tahoe LT 5.3. later lights on dashboard appeared(brake light) and (TC /stability control system) a message also appears says check brake system and check stability system the car runs fine brake is ok no leaking i just did the brake fluid then these lights came out!!!
Any1 can point wer the brake module fuse is?
post #59 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 08:04 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCailin View Post
If I worried about something big going wrong every time my R glitched or did something a little odd I would be chasing all sorts of ghosts in the machine. She keeps me on my toes and makes sure I pay attention to her but rarely is it a repeated problem or even one I can duplicate, let alone fix. Driver door window indexing may get weird and require me to open the outside door latch before closing the door to get it sealed right. Radio may stay on when I get out of the car and then turn off fine the next. Just little things to keep me guessing. I drive her, enjoy her, and just consider it part of her charm.
Hi Cailin, Haven't seen you since we met in Florida right after you bought Annie's R.

Detent/Radio/Clock top connector on Door Latch/Lock Module. Gets all the weather, i.e. water, rain, car wash. May have to change connector, on Library.

Of course use Silicone Spray on Door Latch/Lock Module to lubricate and protect from water and wear.

Not sealed well, can replace whole Door Latch/Lock Module, if you can find one, or send me yours, I have rebuilt ones in stock. $50.00

On SSR How to Library, look up "DOOR LATCH/LOCK MODULE". It is all there.

Detent on widows is set by:

HOLD window switch in UP position, continue to HOLD button for 5 seconds AFTER window is UP.

Now, Press and HOLD window switch in DOWN position, continue to HOLD button for 5 seconds AFTER window is DOWN.

You have just calibrated your detent on window. Do both windows, this will happen when you change battery, lose power, change ignition switch, for example.

How to Library: https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D...F39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator

1. Door Latch/Lock Module. White top two pin is Detent/Radio/Clock
2. Upper connector for Detent/Clock/Radio
3. Replaced connector on Tony aka Golfer2, windows/radio/clock not working right.
4. I use this spray
5. Had to replace motor in this one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3154.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	430033   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1373.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	430041   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1374.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	430049   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6636.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	430057   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7228.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	430065  

post #60 of 66 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 06:11 PM

Location: Roseville, CA well actually live in North Highlands and work in Roseville.

My SSR:
2006 6spd Ricochet Silver with Blue Flames. Yes, I bought WaySouth6speed's baby truck!
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicktator View Post
Hi Cailin, Haven't seen you since we met in Florida right after you bought Annie's R.
Hey Dicktator! Glad to see you are doing well. I will have to reset my window indexing according to that procedure after I pull apart the door and fix the door latch again. I need to find a good way to get the rod to remain in that white bushing in the door handle. I clicks in and always feels solid and then a few weeks later I go to get in and the outside door handle wont work. Sometimes when that happens the inside door handle will not work unless the window is rolled up. While I am in there I will check the connector for corrosion.

I did a brake job a few weeks ago. While under there I decided that I need to look into having the shocks and all the suspension bushings done in the relatively near future. Things were okay but looking a little old and due.

I have to fix the Electronic Brake Control module and mount the heat shield I bought from Mike.

I am just loving the truck and it has become my daily driver. It definitely makes the drive to and from work much more enjoyable. Life is way to short to waste time in a boring car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in