Shift Console Light Repair - HOW TO - Chevy SSR Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stiles Sport Roadster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Super Road Rocket Pilot
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
Empty Garage - Previous 03 04 05 owner - on hunt for next one ;)
Shift Console Light Repair - HOW TO

There are 3 light bulbs that control the lighting on the shift base and are easily repaired by you at home or you can send me the parts and I will repair them for you for the cost of parts and shipping. I placed a discussion thread here about the items I am offering this repair service for:
https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/f...ter-etc-61360/

View the shifter with the lights on so you can get a feel for how many bulbs are out and which location it is, viewing the below will assist in determining which one or ones are faulty. Bulbs required are 4mm sized "wheat" style with an approximate output of 100Ma. The blue covering on the bulbs tend to melt to the original bulb so getting replacements of those might be a good idea too.

1. Remove the shifter handle, then simply pull up on the shifter base to loosen it from the retaining clips and remove the electrical connector. Here is a photo of the bottom of the shift base:

2. You can also see the 3 white colored 1/4 turn plastic fasteners that hold the lamps. Take a flat tip screwdriver, insert into the slot on the white plastic bulb holder and turn 1/4 to release, turn the shifter upside down and tap it a little to get the bulb out. Just so you can see how it works, I opened up the covers to show the plastic pathways that direct the light from one bulb to multiple areas but you DO NOT have to take this apart to get to the bulbs, shown for education only.

3. The bulbs in this area are "wheat" style 4.7 MM 100 Ma and have a blue color corrective cover to make the light more white. The blue cover can be removed and reused but some are burnt onto the bulb from the heat so you might want to get replacements beforehand. It gets very hot, even the white plastic shows brown heat wear. The legs of the new lights simply go through two small holes on the bottom of the white base and solder on. Just unsolder the old ones and resolder the new ones in and trim off the excess leads.

4. I bought my parts from EBay but you can buy these bulbs and covers from many other vendors that sell lighting products.

5. Install is reverse of removal. Only thing to watch out for is when you reinstall the shift place, make sure the black plastic slider for the shifter is positioned properly forward and aft so that it slides properly and does not get bound up or breaks.

6. Enjoy!!!

Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 09:54 AM
#1 SidePipe Club

My SSR:
UV SSR 141mph on the Dyno 262 RWHP My other SS is an HHR SS "The RED ROCKET" "Tuned by CJ"
LED Replacements?

Could LED's be used ? Less heat.

A mime that Laughs out Loud is just……..
a Bozo in Facepaint
JimBob
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBob View Post
Could LED's be used ? Less heat.
Yes, that should not be a big problem. The only issue would be to find one that has a decent output and side emitting light so that the lens would pick up the light properly and distribute it to the proper switches. LED technology has come a long way in the last 10 years since these were designed/built.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 09:10 PM

My SSR:
2005 6.0 ssr
Sweet

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 09:57 AM

What a fantastic source of information, can't figure how many hundreds of dollars I've saved. When I drive into the dealership the dollar signs start rotating like a slot machine. Happy Forth of July to EVERYONE and please remember, freedom is not free....... Jim
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 08:06 PM
RG

My SSR:
2005 SSR, Pearl White and Aqua Blur
The correct size for the LED Shift Console Bulb replacement is 5mm from superbrightleds
noted above. The link incorrectly checks off 4mm. I bought 4mm and 5mm just in case.
The 5mm are the ones that fit. My thanks to Dragon2U for such an excellent guide.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 08:58 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
What the hell, the link to SuperBrightLeds NEOx LED Bulb - Instrument Panel LED, shows 18 choices, 17 are discontinued?

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 09:31 AM
RG

My SSR:
2005 SSR, Pearl White and Aqua Blur
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...l-led/221/998/
Here are the bulbs that I had installed.
They work perfectly and look great.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
What the hell, the link to SuperBrightLeds NEOx LED Bulb - Instrument Panel LED, shows 18 choices, 17 are discontinued?
Bruce, if you were clicking my link it is over 4 years old, use RG's instead.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 12:49 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
BlueBelle
Thanks everyone. I got the 5 mm LEDs mentioned above and installed them. They look great and take just a few minutes to install. Just remember, when you put them in, if they don't light up, take them out and turn them around and reinstall and everything will work!
Auggie Doggie likes this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 09:23 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
"04 Redline. My other SSR is a 1934 Chevy
LED Brightness

I put in the new LED's in the shift counsel but I would prefer the rockers be lit up a little more. I was thinking of using aluminum foil taped over the plastic tracks that allow the light to travel from the LED to the switch. Of course I would have to insure there is no contact with the printed board. I'd appreciate any comment whether that would brighten the light or not. Or maybe there is a better way? The pic if from Dragon2U
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	465594  

Chevy for me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in