• 1 Post By abadssr
  • 2 Post By yellow bear
  • 1 Post By BlueStreak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
SE Rad support, Frame Plate, Main Fan. Otherwise stock.
Simple Engineering Heavt Duty GM Radiator

Wonder how may have done this with Simple Eng Main Fan upgrade. Can someone quantify the performance change?
Thanks in advance,
B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 09:04 PM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo57 View Post
Wonder how may have done this with Simple Eng Main Fan upgrade. Can someone quantify the performance change?
Thanks in advance,
B
The MFK-1 Main fan draws 2500 CFM through the OEM radiator. When I tested the OEM radiator and the thicker AC Delco "heavy duty" one in a "back to back" comparison, I did not find a measureable difference in airflow with my home made wind tunnel. The data showed me that the thicker radiator did not impact the flow through the system..... that was a result I was not expecting.... I'll take it, though.

If you are going to install the Heavy Duty radiator, you must account for the thicker core with either:
1) Trimming away half of the rubber seal that is on the MFK-1. This is because the thicker core and the rubber seal try to occupy the same space...... preventing you from actually mounting the fan on the radiator, unless you trim away some seal material.

or

2) Replace the MFK-1 with the MFK-2. The MFK-2 is a more powerful (2850 CFM) fan and actually stands off from the core at just the right distance. What is interesting is the fact that this combination is precisely what is on a particular model of the C6 Corvette.

Personally....... I favor option #2 when installing the heavy duty radiator.

Bottom line to your answer........ In order to provide a proper radiator performance comparison, you would have to be in a very controlled test laboratory setup. That would require about two dozen temperature sensors, a calibrated wind tunnel, calibrated fluid flow and a tightly controlled source of heat for the fluid. All this to measure BTU extraction of the radiators with a data acquisition system...... way more science than I need to dive into.

Although this would actually a lot of fun to do.... it would take way too many hours and way too much money.......

Regards,

Mike

One of the "Blues Brothers"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 10:20 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
Although this would actually a lot of fun to do....
You're incorrigible. Thank you.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Interesting answer but I still don't know if it's worth it to purchase.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 10:03 PM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
Quote:
Interesting answer but I still don't know if it's worth it to purchase.
I'm afraid that you will have to make that judgement for yourself. This radiator has about 40% more BTU dissipating capability an the OEM radiator. If you have the need for additional cooling capacity, this radiator is as good as any I've come across and at one third the cost.

On the other hand......of all the customers that have purchased this radiator, only a handful really needed the additional capacity.

regards,

Mike

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 05:24 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
05 6 speed black has a K&N cold air kit descreened and Diablo tuner & Eric's hood
I live here near San Antonio and it gets kind of warm I have both of mikes fans and it never gets hot. It stays just below the 210 all the time. Bonus is the a/c stays colder.

2008 FLHRSE4 Harley
2001 Harley Heritage
2001 WS6 Trans Am Sold
2008 CTS
2006 Silverado SS Intimidator #137 0f 933
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 06:31 AM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Savini View Post
I live here near San Antonio and it gets kind of warm I have both of mikes fans and it never gets hot. It stays just below the 210 all the time. Bonus is the a/c stays colder.
Hey, Tom......

You are exactly on target. SSR cooling issues can be divided into two simple categories.

1) Below 35-40 mph. This is where insufficient airflow will cause temperature issues. This is the weak spot in the system design for the SSR. Installing better fan(s) will fix this.

2) Above 35-40 mph. This is indicative of a system issue (or combination of issues) that are NOT solved with better cooling fans. This is where problems like thermostat, pressure cap, pressure tank, lack of air dam and radiator capacity will show up.

Most often, the additional capacity needs will show up when you install a big cam or a supercharger. I went through a lot to get a supercharged 6-speed cool in 115 degree heat........

Regards,

Mike

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 07:06 AM

My SSR:
2004 U/V "Bad Minon"- powered by Impulse Power and Warp Speed created by using Di-Lithium Crystals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
Hey, Tom......

You are exactly on target. SSR cooling issues can be divided into two simple categories.

1) Below 35-40 mph. This is where insufficient airflow will cause temperature issues. This is the weak spot in the system design for the SSR. Installing better fan(s) will fix this.

2) Above 35-40 mph. This is indicative of a system issue (or combination of issues) that are NOT solved with better cooling fans. This is where problems like thermostat, pressure cap, pressure tank, lack of air dam and radiator capacity will show up.

Most often, the additional capacity needs will show up when you install a big cam or a supercharger. I went through a lot to get a supercharged 6-speed cool in 115 degree heat........

Regards,

Mike
But it's a dry heat!!!!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 11:16 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 6 spd. BLACK
Bobo. IMO this would be one of the very first things to do. The are easy to install and fix a very real weakness in the stock SSR.

If you pay the postage, I will send you my OE fan.

Dave
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
I have a 2005 with an automatic, which is essentially stock. I have Mike's radiator fan already installed. Initially I did that just because of all the failures I read about with the OEM unit.

Works great, quicker cooling. However the system still worries me. In So Cal temps are not too bad but even on a 80-90 degree day when you stop at a light the temp creeps up pretty darn quick. The fan kicks on and brings the temp down but it continues to cycle up and down. As opposed to my GMC that holds rock steady at 195 no matter if it's 20 below or 120 in the desert with the AC on.

Guess I couldn't expect that kind of fix but I wanted to take the SSR to Havasu but was too worried about the temp so it sat in the garage.

Wonder how far the extra capacity radiator will get me to the GMC level of performance.

Guess if we don't have quantifiable test data we'll have to rely on empirical evidence.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 03:33 PM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
Quote:
I have a 2005 with an automatic, which is essentially stock. I have Mike's radiator fan already installed. Initially I did that just because of all the failures I read about with the OEM unit.

Works great, quicker cooling. However the system still worries me. In So Cal temps are not too bad but even on a 80-90 degree day when you stop at a light the temp creeps up pretty darn quick. The fan kicks on and brings the temp down but it continues to cycle up and down. As opposed to my GMC that holds rock steady at 195 no matter if it's 20 below or 120 in the desert with the AC on.

Guess I couldn't expect that kind of fix but I wanted to take the SSR to Havasu but was too worried about the temp so it sat in the garage.

Wonder how far the extra capacity radiator will get me to the GMC level of performance.

Guess if we don't have quantifiable test data we'll have to rely on empirical evidence.
You cannot compare the cooling system of a certified high-GVW truck with the SSR. Two completely different kinds of vehicles, certified to two completely different standards.

The SSR has a radiator similar to the low-level C6 with a smaller (360 watt) electric cooling fan. The SSR has about a 1/2 horsepower fan. The system will operate within "normal" parameters under all driving conditions. For the cooling system, this means that the temperature will range from 195 to 235. Operating the SSR on the road will eliminate the need to worry about cooling fan, since the fan is turned off at 35mph. On the road, you can expect to see a temperature rise on the cooling system when climbing a long uphill grade on a hot day. Something like the grade headed east on I-10 from Indio on a 100 degree day will result in a gauge temperature of 210-225, depending on your right foot.

I have come across the desert from California on a 110 degree day with my supercharged truck, the A/C on, 80-85 mph and witnessed the temp reach equilibrium on that hill from Indio at 225F. Never had a second thought.

Please don't let your SSR sit in the garage because you want it to have the cooling capacity of the GMC. It is definitely NOT in the same league. All of my Silverados and Tahoes never budged off the 200 degree mark either......

Drive the SSR and enjoy it.

Mike

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 05:53 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Lonnie lights #43,confidence by simple Engineering
Send a message via Yahoo to abadssr
I have both of mikes fans they work as designed and I am very happy with them. Mike hold on to your tool bench I drove mine today lol
yellow bear likes this.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
all due respect Mike I think you've missed my point.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 10:22 AM

My SSR:
2004 Ricochet Silver
Any tips for replacing the radiator without disconnecting the condenser lines from the compressor like it says to do in the GM service manual? I just want to put in a new radiator without having to purge and refill the AC.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 10:28 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Ricochet Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb52060 View Post
Any tips for replacing the radiator without disconnecting the condenser lines from the compressor like it says to do in the GM service manual? I just want to put in a new radiator without having to purge and refill the AC.
Done it without having to refill AC.

See post #3 from the thread below.

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/radiltor-247431/

If in doubt, call @Mike in AZ

- Robert
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 12:01 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Born on 12/23/04, adopted 07/06/16, From KY to CA. Once a farm truck, Now a SoCal cruiser.
Garage
Bobo

You might also consider a Tune to change the fan settings along with improved performance, someone like Joe D at LC32 in Escondido can handle that, you may also consider a Transmission cooler.

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 12:02 PM
Ex SoCal Nut

My SSR:
Striping by Fairfield, Confidence by Mike in AZ
Quote:
all due respect Mike I think you've missed my point.
You'll probably be better off with a Cooling System Tune Up kit, new anti-freeze and belts. (15 yrs old system). There is a Large contingency of SSR Fanatics in Havasu and they drive there without worry. I don't know what's making you "gun shy" about taking your truck out in the "heat". We've had No problem in San Diego and moved to Phoenix where I Never drove in 115+deg heat. Shut the engine off and come back to restart and it's sitting at 235.... Until you get moving. Came back down to 200-205, no prob.
You don't state what the temp swings are when it is cycling up and down, and if it's when you are in stop & go conditions. That info would help as, maybe, it's perfectly normal to the rest of us. Insane Diego stop&go, first thing Bear got was Mike's pusher fan, it kept low speed temps at 190.
There are a bunch of us with over 130+K mi on ours that have been thru the most extreme temp changes in the same trip with Stock Radiators and never panicked.
Keep AAA Card in your pocket, Drive it, and get to Know it. It Wants you to Grin !!!
BlueStreak and BROKER03 like this.

Red Cat's Fan Club

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 12:10 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
How many miles on it. I have 257K and changed the radiator at about 200K only to find that the space between the Rad and the condensor was PACKED solid with dirt and pollen. Cleaned it out and kept the old one in case I need it in the future.
yellow bear likes this.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in