Smartphone thru radio - Chevy SSR Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By carlbush

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
SE Rad support, Frame Plate, Main Fan. Otherwise stock.
Smartphone thru radio

Hi all,
Is there any way to hook up the smartphone to the stock radio on a 2005?
Thx
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 08:42 PM
Super Road Rocket Pilot
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
Empty Garage - Previous 03 04 05 owner - on hunt for next one ;)
There are some wired and wireless solutions. I took out a wired solution I initially had because I got tired of connecting and disconnecting the cable every time I entered and exited the truck. I should list it for sale..... Now I use the GoGrove Bluetooth X2 and very satisfied. Clarity and quality of music is the best I have seen in an FM transmitter and the phone call ability is a big bonus.

Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
I tried one of those once and the sound quality coming thru the radio was terrible. Can anybody suggest a better quality system?
Thx
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 03:54 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Ricochet Silver
Garage
Hi Bobo57, I guess it depends on what it is you want to do with your smartphone. I installed the ISimple ISGM535 bluetooth adapter to the stock radio in my 2005 SSR. It was a relatively easy install and provides 2x auxiliary inputs by either 3mm plug or RCA connectors. I then added the IAB13 bluetooth receiver to one of the 3mm plugs and powered through a USB plug from the power receptacle nearest the steering wheel. It is all hidden in the ashtray compartment. The radio now shows AUX1 and AUX2 when I scroll through the BAND button. This setup provides a bluetooth connection to my phone, but I only use it for music. I don't think it would work for telephone service since it doesn't have an external microphone. But there may be an adapter out there that will work (?).
Here are links to the products I purchased from Amazon.
~ Carl

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 05:25 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Pac Blue FPR #485 3SS VYJ BOD 3/13/06
Garage
I also have the GoGroove. It does lack some in clarity, BUT with the top down, I really can't tell. When I first put it in, I was disappointed until I got out on the road. It is a simple solution that does what it should quite well, while driving! We use it all the time for Sirius and Pandora. I have a sensitive ear, but for my driving it works excellent

One of the newest "Blues Brothers"!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 06:15 AM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo57 View Post
I tried one of those once and the sound quality coming thru the radio was terrible. Can anybody suggest a better quality system?
Thx
Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by farf02 View Post
I also have the GoGroove. It does lack some in clarity, BUT with the top down, I really can't tell. When I first put it in, I was disappointed until I got out on the road. It is a simple solution that does what it should quite well, while driving! We use it all the time for Sirius and Pandora. I have a sensitive ear, but for my driving it works excellent
I did not mean it to sound like it was perfect, nothing is as good as a direct connection, but I find the X2 is much better than any other wireless system I have tried for the OEM stereo. Might be the phone, the app, your location, or a ton other variances but for me it is a good solution. The OEM app on my phone was terrible, I changed to the Rocket Music Player by JRT and much happier.

If you had bad luck with the X2 and you are looking for a high quality solution it might be time to upgrade the head unit. If you do not need GPS there are quite a few nice Android and other OS units in the $120 to $200 category. Check out Crutchfield to compare what current models are out there then look there and elsewhere for the best price.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 12:19 PM

I use one of the gogroove products on my 2005 and like it a lot. The phone quality is as good as my 2014 Acura MDX. I recommend it and only cost about $40. Easy hook up just plug it into the power outlet. It hooks automatically to my phone.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 04:57 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Ricochet Silver
Garage
Bobo57, you may want to consider one of these ... bluetooth adapter for both music and phone calls! Will still need to add an Aux input to the stock radio to connect this device. Since I already have the ISimple ISGM535, I may need to try this for myself. Has excellent reviews on Amazon.

edit - just ordered one for myself from Amazon, should deliver on Thursday, 02 June. I'm happy to let you know how it works.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 05:35 PM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbush View Post
Bobo57, you may want to consider one of these ... bluetooth adapter for both music and phone calls! Will still need to add an Aux input to the stock radio to connect this device. Since I already have the ISimple ISGM535, I may need to try this for myself. Has excellent reviews on Amazon.

edit - just ordered one for myself from Amazon, should deliver on Thursday, 02 June. I'm happy to let you know how it works.
Hmmmm, a bluetooth receiver connected to a wired solution to the OEM radio. That might help reduce issues due to cracked/bad antennas, poor FM channel separation, etc..... Make sure you follow up with a review after a few days of use.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 07:29 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Ricochet Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon2U View Post
Hmmmm, a bluetooth receiver connected to a wired solution to the OEM radio. That might help reduce issues due to cracked/bad antennas, poor FM channel separation, etc..... Make sure you follow up with a review after a few days of use.
Wilco, I expect good results since I am currently using a similar setup with a Bluetooth receiver connected to a wired adapter providing 2x aux inputs. Have absolutely superb sound from this setup but is only for music playback from my phone (downloaded music or streaming from Pandora) ... the new Bluetooth adapter will add phone functionality. For $30 it's well worth giving it a shot. Keeping my fingers crossed.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 05:06 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Ricochet Silver
Garage
UPDATE - Bluetooth receiver received today (HIMBOX HB01) from Amazon ($31.00). Had it up and running in less than 5 minutes. Power to the HB01 from the power port just to the right of the steering wheel. Connected the HB01 output 3mm plug with a female-female connector to the input 3mm plug to the ISGM535 Dual Aux adapter connected to the stock radio. I have two Apple IPhone 4s, one that I use for music only and the other for phone service and apps, I was able to connect both IPhones to the HB01 at the same time. As I was playing music from one IPhone, I asked my wife to call the other IPhone. The HB01 turned off the music playback and the phone rang through the stereo system. I pressed the main button on the HB01 to answer the phone and spoke with my wife through the HB01 microphone with voice coming through the stereo (granted, I had to turn the volume up a bit on the stereo to match the volume at which the music had been playing). It all worked as advertised. When I hung up, the HB01 automatically resumed playing music ... Woo-Hoo! I then took my phone into the house and returned to the truck (I had left the SSR running), when I opened the door, the stereo said "phone connected" and, sure enough, the phone automatically reconnected to the HB01! Then powered OFF the HB01 and re-powered it ON, both IPhones automatically connected. The HB01 main button is used to PAUSE/PLAY music and there two additional buttons that select music BACK and FWD to skip or replay tracks. All working as advertised. After only 10 minutes of use, very happy. Paperwork says 12-month warranty from date of purchase. Now just have to find a place to semi-permanently mount it. I'll post pics if interested.
~ Carl
SWT RYD likes this.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 05:00 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Ricochet Silver
Garage
UPDATE #2 - sadly, the phones did not automatically reconnect the next day. Had to re-establish bluetooth connection manually. Minor inconvenience, just a few button clicks, but not an issue.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 05:57 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
blue 06 6 speed
Garage
We had the Isimple ISGM-655 connected to our 06 stock unit. It had bluetooth for phone and playing music plus the USB cable for charging or streaming. It worked great for 6 months then started messing up. It would stop playing from the USB and when we reset it the entire trucks electrical would die for a few seconds. VERY scary driving down the road. It did this 3 times then stopped working all together. Wasn't worth the price for 6 months.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Bought the Groove, will let you know how it tests out.
Thanks gang,
B
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 08:17 PM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo57 View Post
Bought the Groove, will let you know how it tests out.
Thanks gang,
B

I have found that I get a slightly better sound quality by setting the phone audio output to 80% or so. That and make sure you find a good quiet channel to tune to. When I max out the phone output it sounds a little off, probably just the phone. Honestly, most of the time I can hardly tell the difference between the Groove and the radio. Good luck!

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 09:21 AM

Crux bluetooth adapter for SSr works great, just connect radio with wiring harness supplied..
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 10:54 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
'06 Smokin' Asphalt / Ricochet Silver Metallic
Reading all with interest. I'd like a bluetooth device that would accept a USB flash drive.

I may not have ended up where I intended to go, but I know I've ended up where I'm intended to be...starting out with nothing and still having most of it left!
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 07:07 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Plain Purple 04
Don't remember the brand, just bought a $25-30 FM transmitter from Walmart that connects via Bluetooth to either my iPhone or my Garmin 665 GPS that has its own Sat Radio so thanks to the answers on this site, I am in hog heaven😃👍
Cappy
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 07:52 AM

My SSR:
2005 Smokin' Asphalt, 6 speed
Hi! I just installed the iSimple ISGM655 on Saturday in my '05 SSR with the 6 disk BOSE system. I tried a couple of FM modulators first but they both sounded terrible.

So far the ISGM655 works great! It gives me 3.5mm input, RCA input, USB input, blue tooth streaming from phone or iPod and hands free phone. I tried the blue tooth streaming with my S4, S6 and iPod touch. All work great. After testing it I will probably only use the blue tooth but it is nice to have the other options. I tried the hands free phone as a test and it seemed OK but I didn't try it while driving so not sure how good it is. I think the music sound quality is even better than playing CD's and definitely better than the radio.

Installation was not too bad. The hardest part is removing and installing the front dash to get the radio out. I did not remove the passenger airbag and used the method I read here in some of the other threads to work the dash off around the airbag (try a search here for the details and pictures). I also had to cut a small notch in the back plastic radio support to clear the extra connector that attached to the stock radio. Other than that totally plug and play! No cutting or splicing wires, the supplied harness plugs directly to the existing radio and harness. There were no instructions in the box to explain how to actually use it once installed but a USER MANUAL is available for download from the manufacturers website and it explains it well. Only had it a few days so I can't give a long term opinion but so far very pleased!

Just thought I would post an update in case anyone was thinking of doing the install.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 10:06 AM
#1 SidePipe Club

My SSR:
UV SSR 141mph on the Dyno 262 RWHP My other SS is an HHR SS "The RED ROCKET" "Tuned by CJ"
has some limitations

Itoo installed the I simple. adapter. Iphone works best, Android OK, I use the USB w/50cds copied on it, bluetooih is choppy. There is "a Learning curve" for control. A $100.00 well spent.

[QUOTE=outlaw502;3096186]Hi! I just installed the iSimple ISGM655 on Saturday in my '05 SSR with the 6 disk BOSE system. I tried a couple of FM modulators first but they both sounded terrible.

A mime that Laughs out Loud is just……..
a Bozo in Facepaint
JimBob
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 11:08 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
'06 Smokin' Asphalt / Ricochet Silver Metallic
$18.99 and free shipping with Prime from Amazon. I bought 2 (in case one goes south).
Keku Wireless Car Hands-Free Calling Kit for Smartphones with Bluetooth 3.0 FM Transmitter, Charger Adapter and Cigarette Lighter:
Everything I wanted in my previous post

I may not have ended up where I intended to go, but I know I've ended up where I'm intended to be...starting out with nothing and still having most of it left!
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 11:12 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Aqua
I bought a gogroove and it works great. 27.00!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in