• 1 Post By Dragon2U

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Redline Red
speed o meter

Ok here is the question what happens if you drive more than 140 mph does it do any damage to the stepper motors?
thanks
frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 06:52 PM

My SSR:
06 Pacific Blue #332 of 532
It shouldn't hurt it, as there are stops built into the stepper motor. I have had mine at a buck 40 + before with no problems afterwards.
06-SSR likes this.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 07:05 PM
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR

My SSR:
2005 Slingshot Yellow (O-YLR) 2005 Flame Pace Trk (CFO's)
However Frank, it may do significant damage to your wallet......

I used to be Retired, Nowadays I'm just Tired......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 07:17 PM

My SSR:
2003/red
We were out driving with the top down. Nice night to go topless. I stopped and put the top up when we reached our destination. I looked at the instruments before turning the motor off and the spedo hand was way past 140 and stayed there when I turned the key off. It took five starts and needle sweeps to get the hand to 0 out. Every thing worked as it should on the 30 mile trip back home...........Is this the dreaded stepper motors starting to go bad/ or / the iign switch starting to show it's problems? Almost 4 years of no problems since I got the R.

Birdmans
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 07:23 PM
Genuinely SSR Obsessed

My SSR:
2006 Black FPR #24031 BOD=3/14/2006 The Black Knight
Sounds like those dreaded 'cheap-azz' GM stepper motors () are about to step out on you. Do yourself a favor & do 'em all (5).

===============
David

CruDawg likes this.

=========================================

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Livin' the Dream; Thanks Chevrolet
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 07:23 PM
Resident Rocket Scientist

My SSR:
Is now a C7
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmans View Post
We were out driving with the top down. Nice night to go topless. I stopped and put the top up when we reached our destination. I looked at the instruments before turning the motor off and the spedo hand was way past 140 and stayed there when I turned the key off. It took five starts and needle sweeps to get the hand to 0 out. Every thing worked as it should on the 30 mile trip back home...........Is this the dreaded stepper motors starting to go bad/ or / the iign switch starting to show it's problems? Almost 4 years of no problems since I got the R.

Birdmans
Stepper motor.
DOOPHUS likes this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 07:25 PM
Slingshot Rules!

My SSR:
Slingshot Yellow VIN 20778 Born 05 May 2005 (05/05/05)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DOOPHUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by river_rat View Post
However Frank, it may do significant damage to your wallet......
AGREE, RiverRat . . .

The Stepper Motor would be "chump change" by comparison.
06-SSR likes this.

Just Say NO To BBQ
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Redline Red
Got to test Joe's tune right. I live in a place i have to drive 10 miles for the first traffic light.
DOOPHUS and CruDawg like this.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 05:40 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06 Pac Blue FPR auto #23823 build date 03/08/2006 ZR6 Zone Show Vehicle named BluByU
speed o meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 SSR View Post
Ok here is the question what happens if you drive more than 140 mph does it do any damage to the stepper motors?
thanks
frank
Only if you're in reverse. lol

Dave
DOOPHUS and 06-SSR like this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 08:02 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
OEM Stepper motors were "low bid", C5-168.

We are now installing X27-168, much better and more reliable.

More you press accelerator increasing electric signal which moves needle up.

They are only "Close". Not truly accurate! Key, if they always read the same, all is good.

Dicktator

1. Stepper Motors
2. OEM C5-168
3. NEW replacement X27-168
4. That is all there is!
5. Electric signal on coil moves needle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11-0601 46.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	451145   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4425.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	451153   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5483.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	451161   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5743.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	451169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5742.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	451177  

06-SSR likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 10:28 AM

My SSR:
2003/red
Your pictures seem to show they are gear drive? What stops them from working? I doubt the wire winding's are going bad?...........Would then be gears or lack of lubrication? Not worth talking about as the new ones are so inexpensive. They would be on there way to the fix guy if the whole dash didn't have to be removed? Above my age and pain threshold. Too many horror stories of shops working on our trucks.....Who is the nearest member who would do the whole job.......

Birdmans, Maryland Home of the murder capital of the U.S.A.......BALTIMORE
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 10:31 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Actually it is the windings, NOT the gears.

Dicktator

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 10:55 AM

My SSR:
2003/red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicktator View Post
Actually it is the windings, NOT the gears.

Dicktator
O.K. SO it's the clear thin coating on all wires on electric motors, generator's ETC that keep what appears to be bare wires from touching each other and making a bad contact??? It seems to work without failer as billions of things are made this way? Even Telsa drive motors are wired this way. through heat & cold. Watched them made on U-TUBE. I sure wouldn't want my house wired this way????? ..........as one electrical inventor said, Imagine what we could do if we ever found out what electricity really [IS].?

Birdmans
Hollister SSR likes this.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 11:42 AM

My SSR:
2003/red
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMo04 View Post
WHY would you want to? I'm sure something else will fail and be catastrophic WAY before the stepper motors act up. The casket will cost way more than the stepper motors.
Not clear on [want to---[what]? AND according to the reply's the stepper motor on the spedo [IS] acting up? Already said the instrument panel would be sent to be fixed if it wasn't so hard to get it out of the dash?

I have already told the wife a wood casket or rent a casket for the [family] only viewing. Do not drain my blood and put strange fluid in my body. I prefer to go into the ground before sundown only wrapped in linen cloth. I only agreed to [A] family viewing because I know she would do it anyway.

Bird
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 02:15 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 redline auto 23k
Garage
May be wrong, but stepper motor really don't have anything to do with speed. Speed is sent to head from ECM. Stepper motors just sweeps all needles to zero them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
SilverMo04 likes this.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 03:20 PM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
Empty Garage - Previous 03 04 05 owner - on hunt for next one ;)
No, the steppers have nothing to do with the speed of the vehicle other than display. They display (when working) the signal that is sent to them from the computer. They do more than sweep, the sweeping is something internal as a zeroing out procedure at start up, displays are active after the sweep.

I would have to disagree on the cause of the bad steppers. The issue is the gearing. I have 2 speedos sitting on the bench I am working on now, and I can rotate the needles and can tell you by feel which one is acting up. With power off, the bad ones drag or feel much tighter than the good ones. Windings would have nothing to do with that. I think either the plastic gears get worn and start locking up a little or the seating where they spin becomes worn or misaligned. Something is causing a mechanical resistance, not electrical.
Light Show likes this.

Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 04:07 PM

My SSR:
2003/red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon2U View Post
No, the steppers have nothing to do with the speed of the vehicle other than display. They display (when working) the signal that is sent to them from the computer. They do more than sweep, the sweeping is something internal as a zeroing out procedure at start up, displays are active after the sweep.

I would have to disagree on the cause of the bad steppers. The issue is the gearing. I have 2 speedos sitting on the bench I am working on now, and I can rotate the needles and can tell you by feel which one is acting up. With power off, the bad ones drag or feel much tighter than the good ones. Windings would have nothing to do with that. I think either the plastic gears get worn and start locking up a little or the seating where they spin becomes worn or misaligned. Something is causing a mechanical resistance, not electrical.
That is about what I said in post #11...gears locking up or binding in what one might call a plastic bearing? NOW I am thinking a bad signal from the computer? BECAUSE the cars & vans we built had the computer behind the glove box or right side kick panel. I HAVE A WATER LEAK that ends up on the passenger floor.........Where is the ssr computer located? I mean the spedo needle was straight down. WAY past 140. I did not see it when it happened. Just when I looked before turning off the motor. It took five [5] starts and sweeps to finally get the needle to zero......WITH EACH SWEEP IT CAME BACK A LITTLE MORE. The reason I kept starting the Truck. Each time a little further.

BIRD

Birdmans
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 04:41 PM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
Empty Garage - Previous 03 04 05 owner - on hunt for next one ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmans View Post
That is about what I said in post #11...gears locking up or binding in what one might call a plastic bearing? NOW I am thinking a bad signal from the computer? BECAUSE the cars & vans we built had the computer behind the glove box or right side kick panel. I HAVE A WATER LEAK that ends up on the passenger floor.........Where is the ssr computer located? I mean the spedo needle was straight down. WAY past 140. I did not see it when it happened. Just when I looked before turning off the motor. It took five [5] starts and sweeps to finally get the needle to zero......WITH EACH SWEEP IT CAME BACK A LITTLE MORE. The reason I kept starting the Truck. Each time a little further.

BIRD

Birdmans
The problem you state is very typical of a bad stepper motor, not the computer. I cannot think of any situation where the computer would send a bad signal and change the output at every key turn. On the other hand, I can see where there would be a change to the readout due to a mechanical issue, the stepper internal binding. Each sweep test brings it in a little closer and finally gets it back to where it should be .... for awhile. I have experienced exactly what you state in my own truck and it was definitely caused by the steppers.

Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Redline Red
So no problem drive ever how fast as wallet or courage lets me right lol
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 07:48 PM

My SSR:
2003/red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon2U View Post
The problem you state is very typical of a bad stepper motor, not the computer. I cannot think of any situation where the computer would send a bad signal and change the output at every key turn. On the other hand, I can see where there would be a change to the readout due to a mechanical issue, the stepper internal binding. Each sweep test brings it in a little closer and finally gets it back to where it should be .... for awhile. I have experienced exactly what you state in my own truck and it was definitely caused by the steppers.
I did notice on a test drive today that on start the swing of the spedo-hand only goes to 140 M.P.H. Not way past it as mine was when I saw the problem. Everything is as brand new right now??????? We do seem to think alike? I thought binding from the start hence a bad stepped motor? . I Just couldn't believe the needle went so far/ as / it only sweeps to 140???

Birdmans
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 07:46 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Thanks Guys!! Guess I need to look at the gears on the Stepper Motors, never really looked close to see what might be happening.

I just thought it was the windings.

Sweep?? I pulled fuse on my 04 for the sweep.

My Stepper motors do NOT sweep, by choice.

Dicktator

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 09:10 AM

My SSR:
2003/red
sweep

Quote:
Thanks Guys!! Guess I need to look at the gears on the Stepper Motors, never really looked close to see what might be happening.

Dicktator
A honest man with an honest reply. Dick, I like the sweep of the hands. It say [READY, SET, GO] to me.......But most likely the reason the original stepper motors go bad? The gear sets have to move fast to do the sweep. By pulling the fuse your needles never move more than the signals they receive? You might want to let us know what fuse you removed. Anyone using your idea probably would never have a steeper motor problem? BUT-----not for me. I like all of the bells & whistles I can have.

Birdmans..........
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 10:56 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06 Pac Blue FPR auto #23823 build date 03/08/2006 ZR6 Zone Show Vehicle named BluByU
I have to agree birdmans, seeing everything sweep on startup is kind of neat. My wife's Subaru speedo does the same thing. In the Lincoln commercial, the beam of light or needle illuminates slowly from the center of the speedo gauge outward. I like that too but not quite enough to want to purchase the car. lol

Dave
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 02:38 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Smokin' Asphalt (Z49 Canadian build)
Garage
Quote:

Dicktator
What fuse (and which panel) did you pull to eliminate the stepper motor sweep on startup? Mine is a 2004 model and I really find the sweep seems like nothing but a distraction.

Thanks.

Ken, Vancouver Island

Ken
Vancouver Island, Canada
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 10:29 PM

My SSR:
2003/red
slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzi Guy View Post
I have to agree birdmans, seeing everything sweep on startup is kind of neat. My wife's Subaru speedo does the same thing. In the Lincoln commercial, the beam of light or needle illuminates slowly from the center of the speedo gauge outward. I like that too but not quite enough to want to purchase the car. lol

Dave
I was going to mention--------In the Lincoln commercial, the beam of light or needle illuminates slowly from the center of the speedo gauge outward. But couldn't spell Lincoln? Would be great if our needles did both? Now to find the passenger water leak.......

Birdmans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in