• 1 Post By dave rasmussen
  • 3 Post By xoxoxoBruce
  • 1 Post By moscooter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

Speedo alterations on the 05/06 model SSRs

I know some of you have been following my gear swap saga and then onto problems trying to get my PCM re-programmed to reflect the new 456 ratio correctly.

Just spoke with Mark at PCM of NC in Morresville. Advised him that his changes to my PCM did not work. Readings versus my GPS remain 10-12 mph off more or less. He used the tire size info and new gear set info to input his values.

Told me he uses HP Tuner while on the other hand, he told me he thought Keith at PCMforless in Ohio used LS2 Edit.

Keith had been unable to get into my PCM with his program, so now I'm seeking info from others that have used Keith or other sources to get theirs accurately changed. Perhaps Keith has only had success doing an alteration on a 2003/4 model which I understand uses a different style of PCM???

Would like to hear back from anybody with an 05/06 model that has swapped out their rear gear set and had a successful and accurate alteration done to their speedo. Who did the alteration and what program did they use...........or did they just "play" with tire sizes and gear ratios to fake out the PCM and get the speedo close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 10:52 AM
Genuinely SSR Obsessed

My SSR:
2006 Black FPR #24031 BOD=3/14/2006 The Black Knight
Exclamation Whaaaaat??

Holy Moly, 'Scoot. It really seems this whole 'mucked up' adventure has been one big Train Wreck so far for you........

----||----Speedo alterations on the 05/06 model SSRs-images-23.jpeg----||----

●□● - And the worst part (I guess) is that it still hasn't been resolved yet! Hope you get some help//relief soon.

================
David
Speedo alterations on the 05/06 model SSRs-images-1.png

=========================================

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Livin' the Dream; Thanks Chevrolet
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 12:03 PM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 6 sp. with 4.56 gears, ZR1 clutch, Edelbrock intake, Lunati cam, Crane rockers, C6 modified pan
Quote:
Originally Posted by moscooter View Post

I know some of you have been following my gear swap saga and then onto problems trying to get my PCM re-programmed to reflect the new 456 ratio correctly.

Just spoke with Mark at PCM of NC in Morresville. Advised him that his changes to my PCM did not work. Readings versus my GPS remain 10-12 mph off more or less. He used the tire size info and new gear set info to input his values.

Told me he uses HP Tuner while on the other hand, he told me he thought Keith at PCMforless in Ohio used LS2 Edit.

Keith had been unable to get into my PCM with his program, so now I'm seeking info from others that have used Keith or other sources to get theirs accurately changed. Perhaps Keith has only had success doing an alteration on a 2003/4 model which I understand uses a different style of PCM???

Would like to hear back from anybody with an 05/06 model that has swapped out their rear gear set and had a successful and accurate alteration done to their speedo. Who did the alteration and what program did they use...........or did they just "play" with tire sizes and gear ratios to fake out the PCM and get the speedo close.
I just got off the phone with Keith. He had an unknown hardware problem when he tried to get into your ECM using LS2
Edit, hence he thought your ECM was locked. LS2 Edit is the one and only program that will do the correction and it was used successfully when mine was done back in 07. Mine is an 05 6 speed with 4.56s and is dead on, speedo wise! Keith assured me that he can do the correction for you once he gets his repaired cable/box back from LS2 Edit. Give him a call.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough."

Sir Henry Royce, of Rolls-Royce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 12:25 PM
Resident Rocket Scientist

My SSR:
Is now a C7
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
I just got off the phone with Keith. He had an unknown hardware problem when he tried to get into your ECM using LS2
Edit, hence he thought your ECM was locked. LS2 Edit is the one and only program that will do the correction and it was used successfully when mine was done back in 07. Mine is an 05 6 speed with 4.56s and is dead on, speedo wise! Keith assured me that he can do the correction for you once he gets his repaired cable/box back from LS2 Edit. Give him a call.
Yes, same for my 05 with 4.56 gears. Must use LS2 edit, as HP Tuners is missing something somewhere to get the 4.56 change in place.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:

Topspin, I appreciate the update. Last info that I had from Keith was of course regarding the "locked up" scenario. He was forwarding the PCM on to Mark at PCM of NC for unlocking, plus he was to be mailing me back my check...........which hopefully arrives here tomorrow. Mark did not find the PCM to be locked and so did his thing as earlier described........didn't work.

I really really do not look forward to jerking that PCM back out again. My SSR is lowered and the location of the PCM causes me to have to bend over at such an angle that it just "kills" my lower back. Gotta go at it just a little at a time.

Not sure why Keith didn't get back to me with the same info that you just provided to let me know that he had some kind of other "glitch" that didn't allow his program to access my unit.

I'll try to get in contact with him again later this week to see what he has to say.

Thanks again.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 01:35 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:

Topspin, I appreciate the update. Last info that I had from Keith was of course regarding the "locked up" scenario. He was forwarding the PCM on to Mark at PCM of NC for unlocking, plus he was to be mailing me back my check...........which hopefully arrives here tomorrow. Mark did not find the PCM to be locked and so did his thing as earlier described........didn't work.

I really really do not look forward to jerking that PCM back out again. My SSR is lowered and the location of the PCM causes me to have to bend over at such an angle that it just "kills" my lower back. Gotta go at it just a little at a time.

Not sure why Keith didn't get back to me with the same info that you just provided to let me know that he had some kind of other "glitch" that didn't allow his program to access my unit.

I'll try to get in contact with him again later this week to see what he has to say.

Thanks again.
Looking at this from the sidelines, with absolutely no background in your problem except what I read here, I would say If Kieth sent your check back and forwarded your ECM on to someone else for you he likely figured your were done with him and saw no need to discuss it further. Don't be to hard on him, and good luck with your speedo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 02:14 PM

Hope you can finally get your speedo fixed. I think I heard that 03-04 was much harder to program for 4.56 than 05/06 but if that were the case it seems like someone would have chimed in by now. if so I hope they do for your sake
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 02:46 PM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
Empty Garage - Previous 03 04 05 owner - on hunt for next one ;)
Yes, as Topspin mentioned, LS2 Edit is the ONLY program that can do the work on an 05-06. Not sure why Keith did not call you regarding his problem and correcting it but if I were you I would ping him again after you get the check and then work just a few minutes a day while the weather is crappy to get it out one last time and get it done right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa View Post
Hope you can finally get your speedo fixed. I think I heard that 03-04 was much harder to program for 4.56 than 05/06 but if that were the case it seems like someone would have chimed in by now. if so I hope they do for your sake
Actually, the programming problem is just opposite of what you describe. The 03-04 is easily done with many different handheld programmers available everywhere, the 05-06 has to be done by special software that you "break into" and change the computer programming by hand.
poppa and Garys03SSR like this.

Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:01 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 6 spd. BLACK
PCM for less did mine originally. It was spot on.

I have since had mine "retuned" at the last two Internationals as I have done some more things done to the R. If you get to the next International one in Bronson, maybe you can have it done there.

Will anyone be able to do that at Maggie Valley?

Dave
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 04:21 PM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 6 sp. with 4.56 gears, ZR1 clutch, Edelbrock intake, Lunati cam, Crane rockers, C6 modified pan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave rasmussen View Post
PCM for less did mine originally. It was spot on.

I have since had mine "retuned" at the last two Internationals as I have done some more things done to the R. If you get to the next International one in Bronson, maybe you can have it done there.

Will anyone be able to do that at Maggie Valley?

Dave
Dave, unfortunately most tuners are using HP Tuners as their tuning tool and it won't do the correction. For example, both popular tuners from this site, Joe Delano out west and Jeremy from the east coast, use HP Tuners and cannot do the deed. Many that use HP Tuners think that they have the ability to make the change as HP Tuners does have that function and it does work for other vehicles, but it doesn't work for our ECM!

Your best bet is to always ask the tuner what software he's using - if it's HP Tuners you're out of luck. Now if the tuner is using LS2 Edit and is a sharp guy that can figure the tire diameter change needed, you're in luck. So far, just the Brian Herter/Keith Wenzel duo @ PCM4less have been successful.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough."

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:12 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Redline #9973
Quote:
Now if the tuner is using LS2 Edit and is a sharp guy that can figure the tire diameter change needed, you're in luck. So far, just the Brian Herter/Keith Wenzel duo @ PCM4less have been successful.
Question -- So the speedo correction is done by entering in an incorrect tire size to make up for the difference in the rear gear ratio?

Also has anybody that has done the 05-06 correction is this done though the ECM or the TCM -- the wiring diagram shows that the vehicle speed sensor signal goes to the TCM on the 05-06 automatics. There is a single wire for VSS going from the TCM to the ECM (picture 1), so is the A/D (analog to digital ) converter located in the TCM and the speed information is then also used by the TCM to decide shift points? If this were true wouldn't you have to send the TCM for programming?

SO to try and figure this out, I looked up the trouble shooting for a faulty speed sensor it showed a wiring diagram that the VSS sent the signal to the ECM? Picture 2 - from DTC P0502 VSS signal low

So now I'm really confused on how this is wired or how the speedo correction is accomplished?

Has anybody with an 05-06 AUTOMATIC been able to send out their ECM only and get the correction done or was their correction done with on board programming (plugging into diagnostic link connector (DLC))

By the way the the manual transmission does not use a TCM and the VSS goes to the ECM, so I can see just sending out the ECM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06 VSS highlighted.gif
Views:	11
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	540461   Click image for larger version

Name:	06 VSS DTC 502 (002).gif
Views:	8
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	540463  
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 05:15 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 6 spd. BLACK
I can't say as mine is a 6 spd. I suppose there are autos with 4.56. It would a low end grinder for sure.

Dave
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 07:54 AM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoprof View Post
Question -- So the speedo correction is done by entering in an incorrect tire size to make up for the difference in the rear gear ratio?

Also has anybody that has done the 05-06 correction is this done though the ECM or the TCM -- the wiring diagram shows that the vehicle speed sensor signal goes to the TCM on the 05-06 automatics. There is a single wire for VSS going from the TCM to the ECM (picture 1), so is the A/D (analog to digital ) converter located in the TCM and the speed information is then also used by the TCM to decide shift points? If this were true wouldn't you have to send the TCM for programming?

SO to try and figure this out, I looked up the trouble shooting for a faulty speed sensor it showed a wiring diagram that the VSS sent the signal to the ECM? Picture 2 - from DTC P0502 VSS signal low

So now I'm really confused on how this is wired or how the speedo correction is accomplished?

Has anybody with an 05-06 AUTOMATIC been able to send out their PCM only and get the correction done or was their correction done with on board programming (plugging into diagnostic link connector (DLC))

By the way the the manual transmission does not use a TCM and the VSS goes to the ECM, so I can see just sending out the ECM.
Yes, I believe it's the tire diameter file that is altered to get the speedo corrected. I also believe that both the ECM and the TCM need to be sent for automatics.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Looking at this from the sidelines, with absolutely no background in your problem except what I read here, I would say If Kieth sent your check back and forwarded your ECM on to someone else for you he likely figured your were done with him and saw no need to discuss it further. Don't be to hard on him, and good luck with your speedo.

Well, here is my latest update as to this (saga). As I now understand his (Keiths) problem with equipment.....he has (as Topspin has mentioned)......some kind of hardware/software device that has malfunctioned and is off to be repaired.

He tells me that once he has that back, he should be able to make the alterations to my PCM,

(I note that Topspin calls it a ECM, but what ever the real name, PCM stands for Power train control module).

So, given that I should soon see a "credit" from Keith for my original check which he had cashed...........finally shows up.

He has told me that he will contact me when the repaired device comes back and he can then do the deal. At that point, I guess my relatively only option is to send it back to him again along with another check and hope for the best.
Auggie Doggie likes this.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 04:44 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 6 spd. BLACK
Gfi

He should be able to pull it off.

Dave
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 08:08 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
'03 & '04 = PCM

'05 & '06 = ECM & TCM

Mmmm = M&M

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
'03 & '04 = PCM

'05 & '06 = ECM & TCM

Mmmm = M&M

Bruce, that seems kinda strange as there were no six speeds in 03/04. So if I understand correctly, some with those models have indeed swapped out their rear gears. Thus they then had someone alter their PCM.......................Whereas recent chatter has suggested that in the 05/06 models, one with an automatic that did the same thing......swap out their rear gears, would NOT just send in their (ECM) but also their TCM.

Somehow, it seems strange to me that the two intial model years with an "auto" trans can maybe do an alter with just one control module whereas it seems the 05/06 model with an "auto" would have to have two different modules worked upon.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 08:28 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:

Bruce, that seems kinda strange as there were no six speeds in 03/04. So if I understand correctly, some with those models have indeed swapped out their rear gears. Thus they then had someone alter their PCM.......................Whereas recent chatter has suggested that in the 05/06 models, one with an automatic that did the same thing......swap out their rear gears, would NOT just send in their (ECM) but also their TCM.

Somehow, it seems strange to me that the two intial model years with an "auto" trans can maybe do an alter with just one control module whereas it seems the 05/06 model with an "auto" would have to have two different modules worked upon.
Part of the change made when going from 5.3l to 6.0l included a whole lot of new code being written for a much more powerful set of electronic in a different configuration of building blocks. This would make a considerable difference in making the changes necessary. Dicktator often begins his Tech Seminars with a quick run through of the numbers involved in this.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 11:08 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Right the '05 had a completely different electrical architecture than the '04, regardless of the transmission.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 06:02 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Black with 6.0 and six speed. Found it in PA with 10,377 miles. Going to use it as my summer ca
speedo

Keith did my 05, 6 speed, 4.56 speedo correction. I dropped the SSR off at his house since he is only 25 miles away. He had it done the next day. I did not ask about any particulars as to the process. I think it was done in July. He might still have my truck on file. Good luck.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medina SSR View Post
Keith did my 05, 6 speed, 4.56 speedo correction. I dropped the SSR off at his house since he is only 25 miles away. He had it done the next day. I did not ask about any particulars as to the process. I think it was done in July. He might still have my truck on file. Good luck.
You are one lucky guy to happen to live that close to him as the right source for a speedo alteration. He could easily access your SSR thru the OBDII diagnostic port under the dash.

For many of us spread around the country, ya gotta jerk around and remove the PCM and/or as some would call it the ECM and mail it off to him. Not a fun task.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 10:23 AM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Quote:
You are one lucky guy to happen to live that close to him as the right source for a speedo alteration. He could easily access your SSR thru the OBDII diagnostic port under the dash.

For many of us spread around the country, ya gotta jerk around and remove the PCM and/or as some would call it the ECM and mail it off to him. Not a fun task.
Just had a bright Idea. I ran Speedo Calibration in North Carolina on the internet. 13 shops appeared and maybe one of them could re-calibrate yours. Don't know how close any of them are to where you live but you could call them and run your dilemma by them and see what they say. That way you could drive you R to their shop and save the remove and install part. Maybe you already thought of this. Just trying to help.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cali...hrome&ie=UTF-8

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie Doggie View Post
Just had a bright Idea. I ran Speedo Calibration in North Carolina on the internet. 13 shops appeared and maybe one of them could re-calibrate yours. Don't know how close any of them are to where you live but you could call them and run your dilemma by them and see what they say. That way you could drive you R to their shop and save the remove and install part. Maybe you already thought of this. Just trying to help.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cali...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Thanks Auggie,

It's certainly worth a few phone calls to inquire as to if any of these sources happen to use LS2 Edit. Within some reasonable distance.....(round trip of 400 miles or less), and some pretty solid feedback that their process does work and HAS worked on a PCM like ours....I would do that.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Dave, unfortunately most tuners are using HP Tuners as their tuning tool and it won't do the correction. For example, both popular tuners from this site, Joe Delano out west and Jeremy from the east coast, use HP Tuners and cannot do the deed. Many that use HP Tuners think that they have the ability to make the change as HP Tuners does have that function and it does work for other vehicles, but it doesn't work for our ECM!

Your best bet is to always ask the tuner what software he's using - if it's HP Tuners you're out of luck. Now if the tuner is using LS2 Edit and is a sharp guy that can figure the tire diameter change needed, you're in luck. So far, just the Brian Herter/Keith Wenzel duo @ PCM4less have been successful.

It appears that this info is "spot on"........Those using HP Tuner cannot do a speedo correction on an SSR. Not only that, even if the (Tuner)has LS-1 and/or LS-2 related software, they likely (cannot do the speedo change either).

Yes, it can be done via LS-1 and/or 2 Edit, but it seems one has to understand the calculations and formula via tire size and gear ration to make it work.

Just spoke with Keith at (PCM FOR LESS) again yesterday, he still has not gotten back his update/modification from the LS-1/2 site to handle my SSR speedo update and any others too. He told me he would call me when he finally got it back. But he was reluctant to press them cause they might delay his "fix" even longer.

Thus, at this date, I'm still in a (wait mode) to hear back and then (re-mail) my PCM and/or ECM if you will...........to Keith to (hopefully) and finally get a speedo that is again accurate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in