Speedometer Correction /Wiring Help - Chevy SSR Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2006 Black 6spd
Speedometer Correction /Wiring Help

As most know, correction of the speedometer on a 6spd/4.56 is difficult. I am happy with the performance tune I have. My tuner suggeatd using a Dakota Digital SGI-5E to adjust the pulse going to the speedometer.

It sounds simple, but i am not sure which wires to tap into to accomplish this. Ideally I would create jumpwr harnesses to make this a removable solution. Does anyone have any experience or ideas where to look for information to accomplish this? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 04:31 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57vroom View Post
As most know, correction of the speedometer on a 6spd/4.56 is difficult. I am happy with the performance tune I have. My tuner suggeatd using a Dakota Digital SGI-5E to adjust the pulse going to the speedometer.

It sounds simple, but i am not sure which wires to tap into to accomplish this. Ideally I would create jumpwr harnesses to make this a removable solution. Does anyone have any experience or ideas where to look for information to accomplish this? Thanks.

Damn, if you can do this successfully, I would be interested. For months as many following the (gear swap) post know, I have yet to get my speedo to be accurate.

Still waiting on Keith at PCMfor Less to get back his needed software to enable the correction.

post #3 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 06:13 AM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
Empty Garage - Previous 03 04 05 owner - on hunt for next one ;)
As you can see by the attached file, the signal (VSS) looks to be derived from a 2 wire pickoff signal from a light green/black colored wire and a purple/white wire that feed pins 44 and 45 respectively at the Engine Control Module.

Also in included drawing for VSS sensor location on a manual transmission, although I would splice into wire closer to computer instead.

Looks like you need to use option 1 for the connections which means you would need to splice into the purple/white wire. The sensor side of the cut purple wire would go to "signal in" and the other end of the cut purple wire would go to the OUT1 terminal. Then connect the unit to 12V accessory powered input and a good ground and see what happens.

Warning - the Dakota Digital documentation warns about connecting this to an ABS system, after you connect things I would take it out on a wet or dirt road and do a few emergency stops to see how the system reacts. Since you are not connecting directly to the "system" but are interfacing with a sensor I would check things just in case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 manual trans.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	543043   Click image for larger version

Name:	VSS location.gif
Views:	30
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	543045  
Garys03SSR and SoCADesertRat like this.

Find Members and add your location on Forum Pinmap Located
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 07:31 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon2U View Post
As you can see by the attached file, the signal (VSS) looks to be derived from a 2 wire pickoff signal from a light green/black colored wire and a purple/white wire that feed pins 44 and 45 respectively at the Engine Control Module.

Also in included drawing for VSS sensor location on a manual transmission, although I would splice into wire closer to computer instead.

Looks like you need to use option 1 for the connections which means you would need to splice into the purple/white wire. The sensor side of the cut purple wire would go to "signal in" and the other end of the cut purple wire would go to the OUT1 terminal. Then connect the unit to 12V accessory powered input and a good ground and see what happens.

Warning - the Dakota Digital documentation warns about connecting this to an ABS system, after you connect things I would take it out on a wet or dirt road and do a few emergency stops to see how the system reacts. Since you are not connecting directly to the "system" but are interfacing with a sensor I would check things just in case.

Excellent information Mike!

Thankyou!

Dicktator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2006 Black 6spd
Wow Dragon!!! WOW!!!!

I would have never figured this out, thank you so very much!

Thoughts on how to best accomplish this splice that will not induce any corrosion into the electrical system? I am thinking weatherpack connectors and locating the module inside the vehicle, so I just need to find an open pass thru to the underbody.
post #6 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 12:11 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
Wow Dragon!!! WOW!!!!

Thoughts on how to best accomplish this splice that will not induce any corrosion into the electrical system? I am thinking weatherpack connectors and locating the module inside the vehicle, so I just need to find an open pass thru to the underbody.
There is a rubber plug under each seat that can be punctured and resealed with silicone after you pull the wire through.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #7 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 12:54 PM

My SSR:
2004 Silver, custom carbon fiber graphics, Superchips flashpaq, 4:10 gear, corvette servo.
This could be a game changer for 6-speed owners!!!
post #8 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 02:31 PM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicktator View Post
Excellent information Mike!

Quote:
Wow Dragon!!! WOW!!!!

I would not splice near the trans, I would splice within inches of the computer to reduce moisture somewhat. I personally would solder them, but the weatherpacks would be a good second choice. No matter which method of splice, I would cover the connection points with some RTV silicone to completely seal both ends and connector for each wire after you verify the ABS function and finalize the installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
There is a rubber plug under each seat that can be punctured and resealed with silicone after you pull the wire through.
Good place to route the cabling for the adapter and mount it under the dash after running it under the carpet and up the kick panel.

post #9 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 04:22 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzr View Post
This could be a game changer for 6-speed owners!!!

Over the weekend, I fired off an email directly to the Tech crew at Dakota Digital with questions about this whole deal.

Maybe they will respond sometime this coming week. I did advise them that several of us might benefit with this gadget if it would work for our application and oh by the way, we do indeed have ABS to deal with too.
post #10 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 06:03 PM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by moscooter View Post

Over the weekend, I fired off an email directly to the Tech crew at Dakota Digital with questions about this whole deal.

Maybe they will respond sometime this coming week. I did advise them that several of us might benefit with this gadget if it would work for our application and oh by the way, we do indeed have ABS to deal with too.
Curious as to what they say but the same question has been asked in a few other forums. The answer is is usually "it might work okay, might have some negative affect or not work at all". Really won't know until someone experiments with actual installation.

post #11 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 11:21 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon2U View Post
Curious as to what they say but the same question has been asked in a few other forums. The answer is is usually "it might work okay, might have some negative affect or not work at all". Really won't know until someone experiments with actual installation.

Well, Here is an answer that showed up in my email.

Do you know if the ABS system is tied to the VSS signal? If it is, then the SGI will be unable to alter the speed signal as the speed signals from your ABS sensors will override any changes made by the SGI-5E.

The only way the SGI-5E is going to work is if the ABS system is disabled, or if the vehicle’s computer isn’t comparing the ABS sensor signals with the VSS sensor signal.

Austin Holinka

Dakota Digital, Inc.
post #12 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:09 PM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
Quote:

Well, Here is an answer that showed up in my email.

Do you know if the ABS system is tied to the VSS signal? If it is, then the SGI will be unable to alter the speed signal as the speed signals from your ABS sensors will override any changes made by the SGI-5E.

The only way the SGI-5E is going to work is if the ABS system is disabled, or if the vehicle’s computer isn’t comparing the ABS sensor signals with the VSS sensor signal.

Austin Holinka

Dakota Digital, Inc.
Quick reply, good deal! So, is the ABS "tied" to the VSS? The ABS system reads the front wheel speed from the Wheel Speed Sensors at each front wheel. The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) at the transmission is the single sensor for the rear wheels. The VSS sends it's signal to the PCM and from there to the EBCM (brake system).

So the ABS system reads the signal, but how does it use it? When you change rear end gears you are in effect changing the tire size as read by the computer, does something happen internally to make things go bad? What if you use larger wheels on the back and smaller in the front than stock, does the ABS system light up like a Christmas tree? Will it just illuminate the Traction Control System light since it sees the rear wheels traveling slower than the fronts? At what speed differential between the front and rear wheels can you change before a problem? Will it do nothing?

Maybe someone else can chime in? The down and dirty of the operation of the ABS, computer interface and allowance to variables are not discussed in the manual. When you changed gears you changed what the computer sees at the VSS compared to stock. Changing the VSS signal slightly to offset the change in gears is only correcting the error you induced by doing the swap in the first place. Since front and rear wheels are different sizes from the factory and ran off 3 sensors, I do not think it is as critical as a 4 wheel ABS sensor system in another vehicle.

And another question, what are the computer people changing when they go in and hard code the ECM to correct the speedo? I would imagine it is the same signal in the data stream, the VSS, just coded to a different ratio to correct the induced error. This correction has no affect on the ABS.

I still think testing this installation on an SSR is a good idea unless someone can point out something I missed. I often do, so jump in if you know more.
BlueStreak likes this.

post #13 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 02:50 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Reading thru your commentary, it sounds to me like the ABS and/or braking system monitoring must not be relying on the VSS signal. Cause if it did, it would now be reading +22% over "stock" and the ABS would (it seem) to NOT like that.

I'm not nor is anyone else having made a gear swap run into an ABS problem as a result.

You understand all this much better than I do, but I'm thinkin' the original poster here has a fairly "green light" to go for it..............and let us know that it indeed worked OK.

I for one will be rooting for him.
BlueStreak likes this.
post #14 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2006 Black 6spd
Hey guys, i do plan to order and install the converter, but it honestly will not be for several months at best. I need it to get warm so i can unpack the garage as Spring looks to be a long time away in Michigan!

In the for what its worth, I ran two years with the 4.56 and no ABS indicator lights, so i am fairly confodent this will work. During thst time i did not have the need to engage the ABS, but would still think no lights mean no issue.
post #15 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 09:32 AM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 6 sp. with 4.56 gears, ZR1 clutch, Edelbrock intake, Lunati cam, Crane rockers, C6 modified pan
For what it's worth, here's my experience with the VSS/ABS interface. There is one. When I do some testing with my R up on jack stands, running the engine and driving the rear wheels, there is a point where I'll trip the ABS warning bongs and display. Can't tell you at what mph, as I never paid attention.

A buddy of mine was a brake engineer for KH/TRW and did development on our ABS system, so I'm going to give him a shout and get his input on this situation.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough."

Sir Henry Royce, of Rolls-Royce
post #16 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2006 Black 6spd
Hey Ken, Any word back from your buddy?
post #17 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 01:21 AM

My SSR:
Black and Silver
VSS Sensor Connector at Transmission

I had to research the speed sensor connections when I installed a Gear Vendors Overdrive.

If you are interested in installing an adapter between the Speed Sensor Cable, and the Speed Sensor on the Transmission tail adapter you can order the Ron Francis PG-094 Adapter. The PG-094 will mate to the transmission speed sensor.

Then if you need an adapter to mate to the cable plug that normally mates to the Speed Sensor I think you can use Delphi PN 12066016-B. I bought one from Mouser. I think there are also some headlight bulbs that have the same connector. I know I got one from the Auto parts store that I cannibalized as a test article as well.

Here are a list of the parts I ordered from Mouser when I was trying to figure this out:
Delphi (now Aptiv) Part Numbers:
12124075L,
12162194-B,
12066016-B

The ABS looks at the sensors in the front wheels and compares that speed to the sensor in the transmission tail shaft. If there is a big difference then the truck will go into a 'limp' mode with ABS lights and other errors. It is this comparison that it uses to help drive the ABS functions. I believe some of the 'Err' settings in HPT are what determine the sensitivity of the ABS w/respect to generating errors or not.

For my Gear Vendors installation I had to disconnect the sensor in the transmission and connect to the one in the Gear Vendors unit. I just have the one in the transmission capped off.

As to HP Tuners: After I installed the Gear Vendors Overdrive I had to make a slight adjustment to the speed settings. I have 4.56 gears and an automatic, and was able to make the changes using HP tuners. The change wasn't significant, but it dialed right on the money according to GPS.

In HP Tuners there are several settings and some of them don't really have an effect on things. I attached a photo of my current SSR Settings. The Value that I changed to dial in the Speedo after the Gear Vendor installation was the Pulses per Mile in the Upper right. I had to change the value by about -5600 pulses/mi.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPTunersSSRAutomaticSpeedW4.56Gears.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	544583  
post #18 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 04:50 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Redline #9973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
For what it's worth, here's my experience with the VSS/ABS interface. There is one. When I do some testing with my R up on jack stands, running the engine and driving the rear wheels, there is a point where I'll trip the ABS warning bongs and display. Can't tell you at what mph, as I never paid attention.
I missed this post previously.
Wouldn't the ABS light come on because the rear wheels were spinning and front wheels were not.
post #19 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:54 AM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 6 sp. with 4.56 gears, ZR1 clutch, Edelbrock intake, Lunati cam, Crane rockers, C6 modified pan
Quote:
Hey Ken, Any word back from your buddy?
Yes, he looked over all the data available on their website and felt it would work fine.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough."

post #20 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:56 AM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoprof View Post
I missed this post previously.
Wouldn't the ABS light come on because the rear wheels were spinning and front wheels were not.
Yes, that was the point of my comment, as some were questioning if the VSS had any input on the ABS system.

post #21 of 93 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 01:29 PM
SSR Pit Crew

LS2 Edit versus HP Tuner

ZsSSR............

Before I plunge into trying to correct my speedo (again) via the device discussed in this post, I'd like to clear up how you were able to make your speedo read accurately.

In related posts here over last few months, many of us have discussed that the ONLY Tuning program that could alter the speedo reading on a gear swapped SSR was LS2 Edit and about the only guy knowing how to use it correctly was Keith at PCMforLESS.

Others have tried to alter the speedo via usage of HP Tuner. Two different outfits using that method tried to alter mine to no success.

Now,
Per this comment from you..........."As to HP Tuners: After I installed the Gear Vendors Overdrive I had to make a slight adjustment to the speed settings. I have 4.56 gears and an automatic, and was able to make the changes using HP tuners. The change wasn't significant, but it dialed right on the money according to GPS.

In HP Tuners there are several settings and some of them don't really have an effect on things. I attached a photo of my current SSR Settings. The Value that I changed to dial in the Speedo after the Gear Vendor installation was the Pulses per Mile in the Upper right. I had to change the value by about -5600 pulses/mi."

You seem to indicate that you altered the (Pulses per Mile) via HP Tuner and got yours to read accurately.

If that is truly the case, can you expand on how the "pulse per mile" parameter change was calculated and was that the only change you needed to alter to get an accurate speedo going.
post #22 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 01:15 AM

My SSR:
Black and Silver
Smile

Quote:

ZsSSR............

Before I plunge into trying to correct my speedo (again) via the device discussed in this post, I'd like to clear up how you were able to make your speedo read accurately.

In related posts here over last few months, many of us have discussed that the ONLY Tuning program that could alter the speedo reading on a gear swapped SSR was LS2 Edit and about the only guy knowing how to use it correctly was Keith at PCMforLESS.

Others have tried to alter the speedo via usage of HP Tuner. Two different outfits using that method tried to alter mine to no success.

Now,
Per this comment from you..........."As to HP Tuners: After I installed the Gear Vendors Overdrive I had to make a slight adjustment to the speed settings. I have 4.56 gears and an automatic, and was able to make the changes using HP tuners. The change wasn't significant, but it dialed right on the money according to GPS.

In HP Tuners there are several settings and some of them don't really have an effect on things. I attached a photo of my current SSR Settings. The Value that I changed to dial in the Speedo after the Gear Vendor installation was the Pulses per Mile in the Upper right. I had to change the value by about -5600 pulses/mi."

You seem to indicate that you altered the (Pulses per Mile) via HP Tuner and got yours to read accurately.

If that is truly the case, can you expand on how the "pulse per mile" parameter change was calculated and was that the only change you needed to alter to get an accurate speedo going.
Before I made the change, the "Pulses Per Mile" was set at 129449 and the "Dist -T Err" value was 709.70.
709.70 is the Number of Rear Wheel revolutions per mile. I think this number is for stock size 295/40/20 tires.
The VSS Pulses per Revolution are 40.
The gears are 4.56.
So we now have 4.56 * 40 * 709.70 = 129449.28 which is the rounded number originally in the "Pulses Per Mile" box.

So now I see that my change was actually driven by my tire size increase.. probably not really due to the Gear Vendors over drive.
My rear tires at the time of this change were Yokohama Parada Spec X 295/45/20 with a data sheet specified value for Revs Per Mile of 679.
My settings now are 4.56 * 40 * 679 = 123849.60. If you look at the screen capture, the rounded up value for Pulses per Mile is 123850.

So there were two changes on the screen:
1. "Dist -T Err" changed from 709.70 to 678.99 (which really is 679 if you round up).
2. "Pulses per Mile" changed from 129449 to 123850.

This was in 2015 and the HP Tuners Version I was using then was 3.4.40.
I haven't updated since then because I hardly use it anymore. (but I see they now support Ford 7.3L Diesels so I might need to change for that! )
I see they are now up to version 4.2 or something like that and they now sell a different interface.
post #23 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:51 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Thanks for the detailed response. I have an in-state source that uses HP Tuner, I'm gonna send him your explanation and see if his "tuner" guy in his shop can review and think he can do the same for my situation.

However, if the device from Dakota Digital referred to in this post can indeed correct the speedo..........it's about $80 from Summit and installing that for the fix would be cheaper than the hassle to again remove the PCM and send it off and (hope) this time that their alterations would work for the correction to the speedo.

I'm thinking the DD option makes more sense, was hoping someone else was gonna go ahead and try it out and let us know how it worked out.
post #24 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:05 PM

My SSR:
Black and Silver
Quote:

Thanks for the detailed response. I have an in-state source that uses HP Tuner, I'm gonna send him your explanation and see if his "tuner" guy in his shop can review and think he can do the same for my situation.

However, if the device from Dakota Digital referred to in this post can indeed correct the speedo..........it's about $80 from Summit and installing that for the fix would be cheaper than the hassle to again remove the PCM and send it off and (hope) this time that their alterations would work for the correction to the speedo.

I'm thinking the DD option makes more sense, was hoping someone else was gonna go ahead and try it out and let us know how it worked out.
I see you are on the list for attending the Rally in Branson.. If you don't have it corrected by then, we could give it a try.. Joe Delano will also be there tuning and could make changes as well. (I know it is about 6 mos away)
post #25 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2006 Black 6spd
Quote:
[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_smile.png[/IMG]
Thanks for the detailed response. I have an in-state source that uses HP Tuner, I'm gonna send him your explanation and see if his "tuner" guy in his shop can review t.
Any luck with your shop using this info to correct in the software??
post #26 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:13 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:

No, I forwarded him an email with all that info included. Have not heard back and am kinda surprised as he (shop owner) was very responsive in working with me when he got my PCM from Keith in Ohio (who thought my PCM was "locked"......when in fact it was not).

This guy refunded the charges he made to me when I related his speedo correcton attempt did not work.

I will fire off another email to him and see if I can get an answer.

Meantime, weighing the idea of the hassle to again rip out my PCM and send it off and the fee for the alteration (versus) the cost of the device in this post.

The device and lower cost won out for me. I sure hope that it works successfully. My Dakkota Digital device should arrive here today. SSR is up on jack stands and I have isolated the VSS sensor wire that needs to be spliced. Hoping it shows up on schedule, I should know later in the week if all is well.
post #27 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 05:35 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:

OK, He did get back to me this time. As you can see, appears he is quit busy. Now the question he asks and I do not know.........What year SSR does ZzSSR have that he is talking about in the messages attached. My guy here thinks maybe it is not an 2005 model. If an 03/04 the operating system would be different

Also he mentions that Dist-T Error is missing...........that confuses me cause when I look back at the pictures from ZzSSR, there appears to be that file in the second column.

Here is my guys reply.........

Hi Ash, sorry for never replying to the first email. Honestly, I haven't had even 5 minutes to sit and think about this critically and absorb it. We are unbelievably busy right now and I have been running nonstop for what feels like the past month.

Right off the bat, a problem I see is your tune file is missing the cell for "Dist - T Error" It just does not exist. The cells around it for pulses per mile and VSS tire revolutions per mile are the very cells that we normally change when correcting for tire size and gear ratio, so the tuner is quite comfortable with editing these cells. The person that wrote out that explanation, are you sure his truck is a 2005? If it is any other year, it does us no good because the operating system is different. If his truck is in fact a 2005, the only explanation that I can think of for the additional cells is maybe it has a newer operating system from GM. Perhaps your truck is on an older operating system (just a wild guess).

For us to try and solve this, we would want to have the truck in person and be able to experiment with it as we go. As we discussed when we first tried to help, this specific vehicle/operating system seems buggy and doesn't tune out in the straightforward way we would expect it to. Maybe an operating system update from GM would help... maybe not. If it gets updated, it also gets flashed to stock and any tuning currently on the ECM is erased, just something worth noting.
post #28 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 03:53 PM

My SSR:
Black and Silver
Quote:

OK, He did get back to me this time. As you can see, appears he is quit busy. Now the question he asks and I do not know.........What year SSR does ZzSSR have that he is talking about in the messages attached. My guy here thinks maybe it is not an 2005 model. If an 03/04 the operating system would be different

Also he mentions that Dist-T Error is missing...........that confuses me cause when I look back at the pictures from ZzSSR, there appears to be that file in the second column.

Here is my guys reply.........

Hi Ash, sorry for never replying to the first email. Honestly, I haven't had even 5 minutes to sit and think about this critically and absorb it. We are unbelievably busy right now and I have been running nonstop for what feels like the past month.

Right off the bat, a problem I see is your tune file is missing the cell for "Dist - T Error" It just does not exist. The cells around it for pulses per mile and VSS tire revolutions per mile are the very cells that we normally change when correcting for tire size and gear ratio, so the tuner is quite comfortable with editing these cells. The person that wrote out that explanation, are you sure his truck is a 2005? If it is any other year, it does us no good because the operating system is different. If his truck is in fact a 2005, the only explanation that I can think of for the additional cells is maybe it has a newer operating system from GM. Perhaps your truck is on an older operating system (just a wild guess).

For us to try and solve this, we would want to have the truck in person and be able to experiment with it as we go. As we discussed when we first tried to help, this specific vehicle/operating system seems buggy and doesn't tune out in the straightforward way we would expect it to. Maybe an operating system update from GM would help... maybe not. If it gets updated, it also gets flashed to stock and any tuning currently on the ECM is erased, just something worth noting.
My truck is a Automatic 2006 SSR.

The difference in screen views with HP Tuners is usually due to different versions of HP Tuners or Auto Trans vs Manual Trans. They (HP Tuners) change it all the time and depending on when your tuner downloaded his version versus when I downloaded mine, can result in different settings being available. I posted what version of HP Tuners I used (Version 3.4.40) because I know that can make a difference.

Some background on my experiences with this:
When I initially had my 4.56 gears installed in 2007, I spent a lot of time going back and forth with HP Tuners (Bill was who I worked with) sending them test files to try to get their software fixed. I tried all kinds of settings and tested for almost a month trying to get it to work. I experienced everything from the truck going into limp mode to the speedometer not moving at all. They (HP tuners) soon gave up and I sent my ECM and TCM to PCM4Less to get them re-programmed. When I got the ECM and TCM back from PCM4Less, I sent the updates to HP Tuners so they could see what they were missing and get their software fixed.

Then I heard nothing until around 2013 and they sent me an email suggesting they had it fixed. I downloaded their 'update' and immediately it would not work.. in fact they had to do some behind the scenes magic to the file I downloaded from the truck initially, to re-load it with changes later. After a few iterations (HP Tuners updating their software) I was able to make changes like I described earlier. Their updates were supposedly going to be propagated into all releases from that point forward. Version 3.4.40 that I used for the screen captures was released after my 2013 experience, (2015 time frame) and I would expect anything later should work the same as that version... Unless they somehow reverted.
post #29 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:13 PM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
moscooter, I thought you had the truck up on jacks and ready for the Dakota Digital installation recently? Did it not deliver or you decide on a different path?

post #30 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:21 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:

No, I forwarded him an email with all that info included. Have not heard back and am kinda surprised as he (shop owner) was very responsive in working with me when he got my PCM from Keith in Ohio (who thought my PCM was "locked"......when in fact it was not).

This guy refunded the charges he made to me when I related his speedo correcton attempt did not work.

I will fire off another email to him and see if I can get an answer.

Meantime, weighing the idea of the hassle to again rip out my PCM and send it off and the fee for the alteration (versus) the cost of the device in this post.

The device and lower cost won out for me. I sure hope that it works successfully. My Dakkota Digital device should arrive here today. SSR is up on jack stands and I have isolated the VSS sensor wire that needs to be spliced. Hoping it shows up on schedule, I should know later in the week if all is well.

Well, the DD device showed up and I have now managed to get it installed. While there are multiple choices in which to hook it up, based upon the directions suggestions, I chose option 3.
While only needing to "pull" two wires thru the floor to the trans, I pulled three to give me another option (if need be). I used very small 18/20 gauge wire I had on hand that were paired together. Cutting the purple wire from the VSS sensor, I tied one wire to the input and the other to the output. I did not disturb the remaining other wire from the sensor (which I understand to be more/less the ground).
Hooked up power and ground for the device and set the thing for option 3 (H-L).

Didn't get out of my driveway before the dash lit up with the messages you can see here.

Took it for a few miles circuit and speedo was still off and my pressing of the proper buttons on the device had no effect.
As you can see by the dash display messages, it KNOWS that something is not right with the braking/ABS system.
So, indeed it may end up that the ABS system involved just works such that this device cannot make the alteration I wanted. I reviewed most all of the questions on their site as to what it would work on and the answer was (positive) on vehicles that I knew ALSO had to have ABS on them. So that convinced me to go ahead and try it.

I'll be on the phone tomorrow with Dakota Digital to see if there is any answers other than your application cannot work due to your ABS.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ssr speedo1 (Large).jpg
Views:	15
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	545395   Click image for larger version

Name:	ssrspeedo2 (Large).jpg
Views:	15
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	545397  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in