SSR stereo upgrade/nav - Chevy SSR Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

SSR stereo upgrade/nav

hi there
has anyone here put a touch screen nav/ music system in the double din space in the dash yet?
we have our eye on the pioneer system, not the flip out screen.
my installer said its a four hour dashboard out job to do this and wants to know if its at least feasible?
thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 08:20 PM

My SSR:
#6043 Adopted 4-4-2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVC SSR
hi there
has anyone here put a touch screen nav/ music system in the double din space in the dash yet?
we have our eye on the pioneer system, not the flip out screen.
my installer said its a four hour dashboard out job to do this and wants to know if its at least feasible?
thx
Yes. There are some old threads here by someone who has done this.
See here

Glenn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 08:29 PM

My SSR:
2005 Redline Red
Audio Upgrade

I did exactly that, with the Pioneer AVIC Z1, speakers, amps, subs, XM, IPOD, etc.

See this thread:

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/show...ighlight=ssrbh

SSRBH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 01:06 PM

My SSR:
Smokin Asphalt '06
Hey SSRBH,

I'm looking at installing the AVIC Z1; any issues that i need to know for the install? Where did you mount the antenna?

Thanks,
-Adam
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 09:23 PM

My SSR:
2005 Redline Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by adzuki3 View Post
Hey SSRBH,

I'm looking at installing the AVIC Z1; any issues that i need to know for the install? Where did you mount the antenna?

Thanks,
-Adam
I had the install done by an Al and Ed's in Costa Mesa, CA, so I can't pass on any first had experience (other than it was well worth it). The antenna's are mounted up behind the rear view mirror.....

Brian.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 11:10 PM

My SSR:
Black and Silver
stereo upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzuki3 View Post
Hey SSRBH,

Thanks,
-Adam
I had Alpine instead of Pioneer installed.. but it was a touch screen/DVD/CD system with Sirius (antenna is outside above the rear view Mirror).

Read about it here including some pictures:
https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14026
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 10:33 AM

My SSR:
Black, '03, 1sb, #1256 and '05
Custom Stereo upgrade

Found a Stereo shop's upgrade info for an SSR in this link:
http://custom.autos.yahoo.com/gallery/overview-car-9829
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 12:33 PM

My SSR:
2005 Redline Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOW_FCTR View Post
Found a Stereo shop's upgrade info for an SSR in this link:
http://custom.autos.yahoo.com/gallery/overview-car-9829
That's mine! I highly recommend Al and Ed's in Costa Mesa, they did an outstanding job and took great care of me.

Brian.
SSRBH
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 01:07 PM

My SSR:
'04 Smokin' Asphalt
Send a message via AIM to PhantomAudio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrbh View Post
I did exactly that, with the Pioneer AVIC Z1, speakers, amps, subs, XM, IPOD, etc.
SSRBH
What do you think of the Z1? I've been wanting an in-dash system for a long time, and had been looking at the Eclipse AVN5495, but was told that it can only load 1 DVD onto the HD at a time, and it's slow in transferring music from CD to HD.

So, aside from being about $700 less than the Eclipse, I've read the Pioneer comes fully loaded with N. America maps, POI, and other crap. It sounds pretty good, but I've never known anyone who uses it, so...if you don't mind, I'd like to ask a few questions.

- Did you opt to defeat the gyroscopic sensor that prevents you from altering route info or watching DVDs while the vehicle is in motion? (I know this is a bad idea, but I'm young and stupid)

- How do you like the iPod option, can you use the steering wheel controls, or is everything done with the touch screen? (I've heard that scrolling was really slow, making it hard to find a specific song/artist if your iPod is as full as mine)

- Did you grab any other options? i.e. the Backup Camera, or the BlueTooth add-on for cellphone info?

- Does the voice-recognition software work worth a crap when trying to find a route or phone #? (I've had bad experiences with voice recog)

- Do you use the 10gigs leftover on the HD for music, or just stick to your iPod? Hows the transfer rate, meaning is it in real-time (so you have to listen to every song before its completely transferred) or can you load a mp3-cd with 700 songs on it and just select all for transfer?

Thats all I can think of for now, sorry for the long post, but I'd appreciate any info you can give on your experience with it. Thanks again!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 02:55 PM

My SSR:
2005 Redline Red
Glad to help

Did you opt to defeat the gyroscopic sensor that prevents you from altering route info or watching DVDs while the vehicle is in motion? (I know this is a bad idea, but I'm young and stupid)

No I did not. I haven't watched many movies while in the SSR...too tempting to drop the top and cruise.

- How do you like the iPod option, can you use the steering wheel controls, or is everything done with the touch screen? (I've heard that scrolling was really slow, making it hard to find a specific song/artist if your iPod is as full as mine)

The IPOD option works well. The steering wheel volume control works in all cases, and to be honest, I don't know that I have tried the forward/back control with the IPOD, but I will try it tonight. Scrolling is hard as there isn't an option to search by alphabet (for instance). The solution is play lists. I particpated in a focus group with Pioneer and many people brought up this issue. I am hopeful that a software update comes someday to fix it. It is a limitation, but the interface still works very well.

- Did you grab any other options? i.e. the Backup Camera, or the BlueTooth add-on for cellphone info?

The only option I added was XM and the XM traffic feed. It puts real time traffic information on the maps and let's you know when slowing is ahead and offers to reroute you if possible. Cool.

- Does the voice-recognition software work worth a crap when trying to find a route or phone #? (I've had bad experiences with voice recog)

Haven't use it too much, but the little that I have it worked well.

- Do you use the 10gigs leftover on the HD for music, or just stick to your iPod? Hows the transfer rate, meaning is it in real-time (so you have to listen to every song before its completely transferred) or can you load a mp3-cd with 700 songs on it and just select all for transfer?

I pretty much stick to my IPOD. The transfer rate is something like 4X, and you can listen as it transfers (at real time while it transfers ahead in the background).

I am a music lover and did it up with new speakers, sub, amps, etc. The head unit works great, I love it, but the other adds complete the package. If my wife and kids can't hear me a few blocks away when I am nearing home it isn't loud enough....

Brian.
SSRBH
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 08:07 AM
OC

My SSR:
2005 REDLINE RED
$$$

Whom ever does the work had better be a small person. I can see why they charge what they do. Nothing on the inside of the SSR is easy to get to and work on for a long period of time, at least for even a mid size person. From my observation the SSR has limited avenues for changes but can be done and still sound good. How deep are your pockets.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 07:46 PM

Grapics AVIC Z1

Has anyone connected the system to monitor engine performance as will as speed and G-Force?
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 04:55 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2006 Black Auto #22925, Diablo Tune, Straight Pipes, K&N, Wing, Lingenfelter, Vette Servo
Send a message via AIM to vmax1244
Another Pioneer NAV installation. Don't Leave Home Without It!

Installed a Pioneer AVIC-D2 Friday and I must say this should have been standard with the SSR as it was on my old 1988 Buick Reatta that I still have with over 250,000 miles on it. Well maybe it didn't have navigation but it sure was ahead of it's time with the CRT touch screen. To bad GM cancelled the Reatta since just imagine what it would have looked like today if it were still in production.
Well anyway back to the Pioneer. This was a real bargain at $805.00 delivered from eBay "My favorite place to buy goodies" for my Yamaha Vmax and SSR. The install only took two hours and is not as difficult as some may think.
If you purchase one make sure you find the Data Bus Interface, GM wiring harness and AM/FM antenna plug adaptor. The Delphi uses a sub mini plug so you'll have to adapt it to the older type plug end that has been around for the last 40 years. This thing has more functions then a Swiss Army Knife and it will take you longer to read the manual then to install it to learn all of the ins and outs of what it's capable of doing. The only downfall I found is the radio's reception sensitivity with the stock antenna that is embedded in the front windscreen of the SSR. It really sucks! I'll be installing an aftermarket automatic antenna somewhere on the body for better reception, probably in the right-hand fender like cars of yesteryear had. I think it will look good in black too. The radio has a hot wire that will raise and lower the antenna when its powered on and off.

Also one more thing, the GPS antenna does not have to be mounted on the body since Microwaves will pass through the plastic dash cover. I mounted it using a small metal base with two sided tape above the radio which acts as a ground-plane for the dipole for better satellite reception. One more thing I forgot to mention is the system requires that you install a small momentary switch under the brake lever so you have to be at a standstill to use the address menu. I mounted an external micro switch inside the ashtray "It's the little blue lighted switch next to the cigarette lighter" with two sided tape so I can bypass the function. I just can't stand stopping on the side of the road to change addresses. I know... I know.... its not a good idea but I promise to keep my eyes on the road. Well at least one eye.

Well that's about it. If anyone has any questions please feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to help.
Glad to see there are so may Fanatics who had posted pictures of removing and installing the dash. This was a great help in my installation. Having an SSR means you will never run out of things to do when it comes to adding goodies.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Al - Vmax1244
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vmax1244_avicd2_01.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	21160   Click image for larger version

Name:	vmax1244_avicd2_03.jpg
Views:	984
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	21161   Click image for larger version

Name:	vmax1244_avicd2_04.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	21162   Click image for larger version

Name:	vmax1244_avicd2_05.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	21163   Click image for larger version

Name:	vmax1244_avicd2_06.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	21164  

Smokem likes this.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 07:37 PM
Clogger fan
Supporting Member

My SSR:
EX-X-SELER8...Currently living in Texas...owned by some really nice people
Vmax...Nice installation & write up. Look forward to seeing the set up & hearing the sound.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 07:16 PM

My SSR:
2006 Aquablur
Fast forward to 2019. The Pioneer upgrade from early 2000s is past its prime. Thinking about upgrading the whole system including amp and speakers. The new Pioneer has Apple Play. Anyone done a major upgrade?
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 08:52 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Ricochet Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by pockneck View Post
Fast forward to 2019. The Pioneer upgrade from early 2000s is past its prime. Thinking about upgrading the whole system including amp and speakers. The new Pioneer has Apple Play. Anyone done a major upgrade?
Yep, did the Pioneer 8100 a few years ago. Kept the Bose speakers and amplifier. Mounted the microphone in the A pillar by the visor, works far better than on the mirror. Installed a backup camera that is integrated into the license plate frame as well. Did it all myself. Love it.
- Robert
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 02:42 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Ricochet Silver
Garage
I also did the Pioneer switch of the head unit. Phone connects directly for Navigation (NAVMII), Ipod, and music services (SiriusXM, Pandora, Spotify). Added the backup camera and microphone for bluetooth telephone. Can make calls by asking Siri. Also has the DVD player. Installed everything myself ... Love it.
Smokem and soren703 like this.

Cheers, Carl

Atlantic Beach, FL

2005 Ricochet Silver
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 05:06 AM

Yes and i have a extra AVIC for sale, cheap. Just did a software upgrade this past week on the system installed in my 04. Like it a alot, did the amp upgrade too.
Smokem likes this.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 03:00 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Ricochet Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmax1244 View Post
One more thing I forgot to mention is the system requires that you install a small momentary switch under the brake lever so you have to be at a standstill to use the address menu. I mounted an external micro switch inside the ashtray "It's the little blue lighted switch next to the cigarette lighter" with two sided tape so I can bypass the function. I just can't stand stopping on the side of the road to change addresses. I know... I know.... its not a good idea but I promise to keep my eyes on the road. Well at least one eye.
My Pioneer system logic requires that the parking brake be activated TWICE (UP-DOWN-UP) in order to perform some functions (watch DVD's...). You can purchase a module that tricks the system into believing the parking brake is UP when the system is turned ON, so no issues with performing these additional functions with the vehicle in motion. The module wires directly into the harness and doesn't require an external switch. Cost is only $9 and is easy to install. I highly recommend it.

TXNSSR likes this.

Cheers, Carl

Atlantic Beach, FL

2005 Ricochet Silver
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 05:15 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Ricochet Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbush View Post
My Pioneer system logic requires that the parking brake be activated TWICE (UP-DOWN-UP) in order to perform some functions (watch DVD's...). You can purchase a module that tricks the system into believing the parking brake is UP when the system is turned ON, so no issues with performing these additional functions with the vehicle in motion. The module wires directly into the harness and doesn't require an external switch. Cost is only $9 and is easy to install. I highly recommend it.

Parking Brake Bypass for Pioneer
I found instructions similar to below worked on my 8100 and subsequently pulled the sporadic switch I had. I don’t know which switch I had, as I threw it away long ago. Perhaps other/newer ones are better than what I had. If I was installing one again, I’d get a switch too. Then I’d test everything before final assembly, either using the switch or the procedure below.

Edit: I’ve never watched a video, stopped or in motion, but found other functions being locked out annoying.

- Robert
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 06:05 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Ricochet Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNSSR View Post
I found instructions similar to below worked on my 8100 and subsequently pulled the sporadic switch I had. I donít know which switch I had, as I threw it away long ago. Perhaps other/newer ones are better than what I had. If I was installing one again, Iíd get a switch too. Then Iíd test everything before final assembly, either using the switch or the procedure below.

https://youtu.be/LxQDe0osxUA

Edit: Iíve never watched a video, stopped or in motion, but found other functions being locked out annoying.

- Robert
WOW, This is awesome ... learn something new every day!

Cheers, Carl

Atlantic Beach, FL

2005 Ricochet Silver
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 10:51 PM

My SSR:
'05 Asphalt Black
I appreciate all the useful info here. Thanks!
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 10:53 PM

My SSR:
'05 Asphalt Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilfour View Post
Yes and i have a extra AVIC for sale, cheap. Just did a software upgrade this past week on the system installed in my 04. Like it a alot, did the amp upgrade too.
If you could please message me the price of your extra unit, Iím very interested. Thanks!
Larry
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 07:07 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 PITCH BLACK, MUTH Mirrors, BGH Tips, Eibach's, Pioneer Navigation, Old school flames, air horns
Garage
Several ways to de-activate the parking brake input on the aftermarket units. The Pioneer 8100 NEX series is the easiest per above. script comes on. On other units it is simply a 12 VDC relay activated (by antenna power lead) to ground the parking brake wire. (Google will send you to a you tube video that makes this easy)

Dane
Garys03SSR likes this.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 12:11 PM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Looking to replace the radio head unit in my new (to me) Ď05 R. Researched here and elsewhere. Thereís some dated recommendations but I havenít found very much current info. So I wanted to get the expertís opinions. 😃

Current setup is stock Bose. Iíd like to replace it with a nice touchscreen ideally with Apple Car Play and navigation, an app for Pandora would be nice. Icing on the cake would be built-in capability for a back-up camera, but not a deal breaker.

I donít want to spend a fortune and Iím not looking to add nuclear-powered amps or monster subs or whatever, just something a bit more modern and as much ďplug and playĒ as possible... a good weekend project.

TIA!

Cheers,

Rich

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 12:36 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Ricochet Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Looking to replace the radio head unit in my new (to me) ‘05 R. Researched here and elsewhere. There’s some dated recommendations but I haven’t found very much current info. So I wanted to get the expert’s opinions. ��

Current setup is stock Bose. I’d like to replace it with a nice touchscreen ideally with Apple Car Play and navigation, an app for Pandora would be nice. Icing on the cake would be built-in capability for a back-up camera, but not a deal breaker.

I don’t want to spend a fortune and I’m not looking to add nuclear-powered amps or monster subs or whatever, just something a bit more modern and as much “plug and play” as possible... a good weekend project.

TIA!
Disclaimer: I’m no expert, but I did it all myself (repairing work done at prior shop). Mine can be put back to stock by unplugging the adapters and removing one splice, and then pulling the reverse camera and XM antenna. Ultimately, I only replaced the head unit. The prior shop replaced the amp, thankfully leaving the old one in place, but it wasn’t for me as it wasn’t as balanced as the Bose amp and speakers.

I still love my Pioneer and was reminded of a subtlety this past weekend.... You can drive off the end of the world using cell phone maps, but the built-in Nav knew where we were the whole time. I was also told streaming music stopped working too, but were jamming to XM.

Full disclosure: cell the maps knew where we were too, but Siri kept trying to get us to go back and the map was just a road and grid lines. Once we got back to cell service, Siri was much happier.

The built in NAV is surprisingly good and re-routes based on traffic reports, etc.

YMMV

- Robert
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 02:34 PM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Quote:
Disclaimer: Iím no expert, but I did it all myself (repairing work done at prior shop). Mine can be put back to stock by unplugging the adapters and removing one splice, and then pulling the reverse camera and XM antenna. Ultimately, I only replaced the head unit. The prior shop replaced the amp, thankfully leaving the old one in place, but it wasnít for me as it wasnít as balanced as the Bose amp and speakers.

I still love my Pioneer and was reminded of a subtlety this past weekend.... You can drive off the end of the world using cell phone maps, but the built-in Nav knew where we were the whole time. I was also told streaming music stopped working too, but were jamming to XM.

Full disclosure: cell the maps knew where we were too, but Siri kept trying to get us to go back and the map was just a road and grid lines. Once we got back to cell service, Siri was much happier.

The built in NAV is surprisingly good and re-routes based on traffic reports, etc.

YMMV

- Robert
Cool. So you have a Pioneer 8100? I searched and found listings for used ones. They seem pretty robust. Looks like the Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX is the most recent version. At around $750 it's a little more than I wanted to spend and I really don't need a DVD player. I was hoping to keep it <$500 or so, but maybe that's unrealistic based on the features I'd like.

So after some more due diligence it looks like I wouldn't need a built-in nav unit since it looks like one with Apple CarPlay will allow me to use Apple Maps (or Google Maps or Waze or whatever).

I will bookmark that one for sure though.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Rich

post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 04:17 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Ricochet Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Cool. So you have a Pioneer 8100? I searched and found listings for used ones. They seem pretty robust. Looks like the Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX is the most recent version. At around $750 it's a little more than I wanted to spend and I really don't need a DVD player. I was hoping to keep it <$500 or so, but maybe that's unrealistic based on the features I'd like.

So after some more due diligence it looks like I wouldn't need a built-in nav unit since it looks like one with Apple CarPlay will allow me to use Apple Maps (or Google Maps or Waze or whatever).

I will bookmark that one for sure though.

Thanks again!
Here are a few more items for thought...

This is my second aftermarket radio. The first one I had installed was a lesser model Pioneer that didn’t have the same feel touch screen as our phones. it was the kind you pressed into the plastic. I wanted the capacitive touch and then regretted it. That coupled with the lack of brightness on the display AND the overdriven booming bass “forced my hand”. The 8100 had a couple more features (of which I cannot recall), but basically it was a couple $$ more for the better screen. I’ve used the DVD, with a CD, once to prove it worked. After a discussion with another member about replacing his radio, and he is considering the 8400 vs. the model down, it still seems to be the same deal, you pay for the screen.

Using the NAV or streaming will chew up the battery on your phone, you’ll have to have it plugged in. I’ve run both USB ports out to the center console, one for me and one for my wife.

I’ve also mounted the mic once on the rear view mirror, which didn’t work so well for people on the other end of the call or me trying to talk with Siri. Subsequently I mounted it up in the driver visor mount, which works much better and is subtle.

I found the newer iPhones work better than the 5s or 6s models. Sometimes, it is just easier for me to leave my phone in my pocket and use the built in NAV or listen to XM.

Other manufacturers have nice head units that work well in Rs too, I’ve seen them. I’m not suggesting Pioneer is better, it is just “the manufacturer groove” I got in to.

If you want the better screen, pay for it “and be done”. I’ve paid for this radio twice, plus the install once. Don’t do what I did . Buy what you want and don’t be left thinking, “I wonder if I should I have ______”

-Robert

P.S. It looks like the Pioneer 8500 may be out too.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:51 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Redline Red
I just had one installed in my 06 pioneer 2500 it does both apple and android car play where I can plug my phone in for gps it and install was 600 great unit.
richsadams likes this.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:53 AM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Quote:
Here are a few more items for thought...

This is my second aftermarket radio. The first one I had installed was a lesser model Pioneer that didnít have the same feel touch screen as our phones. it was the kind you pressed into the plastic. I wanted the capacitive touch and then regretted it. That coupled with the lack of brightness on the display AND the overdriven booming bass ďforced my handĒ. The 8100 had a couple more features (of which I cannot recall), but basically it was a couple $$ more for the better screen. Iíve used the DVD, with a CD, once to prove it worked. After a discussion with another member about replacing his radio, and he is considering the 8400 vs. the model down, it still seems to be the same deal, you pay for the screen.

Using the NAV or streaming will chew up the battery on your phone, youíll have to have it plugged in. Iíve run both USB ports out to the center console, one for me and one for my wife.

Iíve also mounted the mic once on the rear view mirror, which didnít work so well for people on the other end of the call or me trying to talk with Siri. Subsequently I mounted it up in the driver visor mount, which works much better and is subtle.

I found the newer iPhones work better than the 5s or 6s models. Sometimes, it is just easier for me to leave my phone in my pocket and use the built in NAV or listen to XM.

Other manufacturers have nice head units that work well in Rs too, Iíve seen them. Iím not suggesting Pioneer is better, it is just ďthe manufacturer grooveĒ I got in to.

If you want the better screen, pay for it ďand be doneĒ. Iíve paid for this radio twice, plus the install once. Donít do what I did . Buy what you want and donít be left thinking, ďI wonder if I should I have ______Ē

-Robert

P.S. It looks like the Pioneer 8500 may be out too.
Wow... all excellent advice. A capacitive touch screen would certainly be preferable over stabbing the icon until it works type.

I really hate that "if I just spent a little more I'd have what I want" feeling too. Exactly why I dug a little deeper to buy the R that I did. I knew I'd eventually end up spending the $$ to do what the previous owner had already done. Worth it in the long run for sure.

I'm still on an iPhone 7s so it sounds like that will work well with the Pioneer units. I tend to keep my phone plugged in when I'm driving longer distances for the "just in case" factor so that doesn't bother me too much. I like that the R has two power supplies available... good that the wife can plug her phone in too if needed.

Pioneer's "flagship" 8500 looks killer, but $1200 is a little (lot?) too rich for me at the moment since I just spent a good chunk of my allowance on the R last month.

I've installed a bunch of car stereos over the years... going clear back to an 8 track that hung under the dash. But it's been a long time since I put the last one in. After watching
I think I can handle it, but I just need to find the one that fits... the R and my budget.

Thanks again for all of the pointers, much appreciated!
TXNSSR likes this.

Cheers,

Rich

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in