SSR stereo upgrade/nav - Page 3 - Chevy SSR Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:46 PM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Okay, now for some good news finally! After watching many more DIY videos I finally sorted out why my backup camera wasn't playing nice with our new Pioneer Stereo. Turns out there was a "missing link".

Earlier I mentioned that there's a pigtail lead coming out of the RCA connector on the video output wire of the Auto-Vox Cam 6 I installed. The instructions mentioned that "some units" may need it, but most don't, almost in passing. Well, this unit needs it. That red wire has to be connected to the Pioneer's reverse gear signal wire.

So I have the backup cam tied into the "hot" wire on the passenger side backup light with the ground wire connected directly to the R's frame. The video output wire from the backup cam is connected to the Pioneer's backup camera video input (brown RCA connector). The lead coming out of the backup cam's RCA video output connector (red) is connected to the Pioneer's Reverse Gear Signal Wire (purple/white).

Oddly when I first connected it and started the R up I got a rapid chime and a "Brake System Requires Maintenance" message in the scrolling info line. ??? Uh-oh. I shut it down and connected my OBDII reader. No error messages. ??? I started it back up again, and no warnings. Phew!

Now when I put it in reverse the backup cam is displayed on the Pioneer's screen as expected and when I put it in drive (or park) it goes right back to the normal music/video screen. FWIW the Auto-Vox backup cam's image is quite nice, clear and wide and captures everything I need - guides are spot on as well. Surprising especially for about $20! Glad others here recommended it.

Now everything is working including the steering controls and such using the Crux adapter I bought from RG. Woo hoo! I'll put together a little description and some photos later. I still need to mount the mic and get some other things done before I button it up.

Thanks to IFytFyrs, Dicktator and everyone else here for the support... couldn't have done it withoutcha!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Backup Cam 1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	550105   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8222.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	550109  

Cheers,

Rich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:18 PM
Daily Driver
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Thank you Sir, excellent write up of the adventures installing and trouble shooting, with the solutions, even if it was something dumb.
We all know the mistakes we make when tired, frustrated, or rushed.

Sure, this is just one combination of brand and sourced equipment, but the lessons are basic for all.
BlueStreak likes this.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #63 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:52 AM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Thank you Sir, excellent write up of the adventures installing and trouble shooting, with the solutions, even if it was something dumb.
We all know the mistakes we make when tired, frustrated, or rushed.

Sure, this is just one combination of brand and sourced equipment, but the lessons are basic for all.
It was a bit frustrating because the detail about connecting that last lead (and what wire to connect it to) isn't really documented anywhere in either the manufacturer's materials, online videos or elsewhere on the Interwebs. After a lot of searching I found a somewhat confusing DIY video posted by a car stereo installer business that made brief mention of something similar with other branded products, again, only in passing. I had to replay the five second segment a few times and watch what he was doing to sort it out.

There are WAY too many stereo/camera combinations so it's probably impossible to account for and catalog them all, but that's one that seems fairly basic.

I guess most folks fork out the cash to have someone else do it, so there's probably not a big demand for that kind of detail. Plus the pros do them so often it's second nature. That's one of my biggest complaints about DIY videos. The makers often take for granted some of what they're doing and breeze by some of the important details. Plus they often spend way too much time talking about things that have little or no bearing on the topic. But it is what it is so whataya gonna do?

Stopped by Home Depot to pick up some paint for our guest bath this morning... backed into a parking space (WAY far away from the store) and put the camera to the test. It was perfect. Slid right in like a pro!

In the end all's well that ends well!

Cheers,

Rich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:40 PM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
As mentioned earlier, completed the installation of a new Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX stereo yesterday. It was a drawn-out process mostly due to a bit of a learning curve and some stupid moves on my part… like doing all of the testing while the R wasn’t running and killing the battery. There was also an issue of the Auto-Vox Cam 6 backup camera not playing nice with the Pioneer unit. Once I got it all sorted out everything came together and is working great now.

When I first decided to swap out the OEM unit I did a bunch of research and landed on this particular Pioneer model based on it’s features and what I wanted matching up pretty closely. (Thanks to everyone that made their recommendations... they were all great and really helped!) It has Apple Car Play and Android Auto built in. It’s wireless, uses Bluetooth to connect to my iPhone and once it does it has all of the features on my phone that I want including Maps, Pandora, audio books, podcasts and so on. It can even mirror my phone’s screen so I could stream YouTube or other videos from my phone to the Pioneer’s screen. It does have (many) wired connections for anyone that wants to use them. I chose to put the USB, AUX and extra video input connectors in the glovebox.

Of course it’s also capable of, wait for it, being a radio - HD radio - playing CDs as well as DVDs. Might come in handy if I ever wanted to watch a movie on a 7-inch screen I guess.

The integrated backup camera works very well. It takes over the screen when I put it in reverse (plus I can bail out of the screen for 10 seconds if needed) and returns to whatever it was doing before putting it in reverse. Clear picture with pretty accurate backup parking guides.

After watching numerous videos on every aspect I could think of I was a bit intimidated. I installed my first car stereo about 45 years ago along with many more since. Back in the day it meant either pulling the radio and putting another one in or hanging an eight-track or cassette deck under the dash. The hardest part was running speaker wires into the doors, back deck and such. Today it’s a bit (LOT!) different and more challenging. Then there’s a 14 year old R that had a nice Bose 6CD system at the time but is reluctant to give it up and let you put today’s modern technology in its place.

So I felt that I had the cursory knowledge to tear into the project, literally in some instances.

I followed Dicktator’s and other’s tutorials to pull the dash. First I turned off the airbag switch (in the glovebox) with the key and for safety’s sake, pulled the airbag fuse out of the engine compartment fuse panel. The rest was pretty straight-forward, but a bit of a pain due to the passenger airbag being a total, um, nuisance. They clearly put it in while the dash was outside of the R and gave little thought to replacing it later. Once I pried the dash out and over the airbag (with the help of some Dawn dishwashing soap) I was off to the races. I was careful though and didn’t break any clips or other important bits. I decided to follow Dicktator’s instructions and remove the airbag to make it easier to put everything back together. I removed the glove box - the easiest part of the entire process - and rather than cutting up the areas around the airbags two top bolts I removed the bottom bolts that hold in the airbag first. Boy am I glad I did too. When I started removing the second bottom bolt the airbag began to move. I pulled the bolts out and it was completely loose. The two top bolts had no nuts on them. Per my earlier post the previous owner had the Chevy dealer replace his instrument cluster and they noted on the work order that they pulled the airbag at that time. I’m only guessing, but it looks like they did not replace those two nuts on the top bolts. Good for them, and me! I disconnected the wiring pulled it out easily and set it on my workbench.

Pulling the OEM stereo is only a matter of removing three little bolts. It slides right out and the harness is easy to disconnect. I “dry fit” the new unit and immediately realized that it wasn’t going to fit without some mods to the cavity it was going to live in. It hit the back lip and was going to stick out too far. The box the stereo sits in is made of hard plastic. There’s a small upturned “lip” at the back. That was going to have to go. There are also a couple of metal tabs. One in the middle supported the back of the OEM stereo. I don’t know exactly what the one on the right is for but it's recessed enough that it could be ignored. So after studying it a bit I ended up not using a Dremel as I had planned because of the tight space. Instead I simply grabbed on to the lip with a small pair of channel locks and snapped pieces of it off one-by-one. They broke clean right at the bend from the bottom of the box up. Nice. Afterward I took a file and smoothed out a couple of rough edges. The fit was much better but that metal tab in the center was still in the way. So I actually took a small hammer and whacked it a few times to bend it back as far as it would go. The next time I slid the new head unit in, it fit like a glove. Sweet.

I used a Metra Electronics 95-2001 Double DIN Installation Dash Kit to mount the head unit. It's one of those that has a zillion holes to try and fit all occasions and it worked okay but it took a few trial and errors to get it right including one where I reinstalled the dash and had to pull it back off because the head unit sat too low. The faceplate was never going to fit but it looks pretty good without it.

I documented installing my Auto-Vox Cam 6 backup camera here in case anyone’s interested. I’m glad others here recommended it, it works great.

So those are the only important bits I can relate to my personal experience with this swap. The rest is pretty typical I think.

I used a Crux adapter that I purchased from Fanatic RG (thanks Richard!) to keep the steering wheel controls and such. It works great. Some people swear by Crux, others PAC and others like, well others. I can confirm the Crux works. I think it’s a Crux SOOGM15, but I can’t be sure because the guy that custom built it (Dave Galloway in Tempe, AZ) took the labels off.

In case that adapter didn’t work I had a PAC RP5-GM11 that IFytFyrs used on his R as a backup. I didn’t want to tear everything down only to be left hanging and waiting for Amazon’s “two day” (sometimes four or five day) delivery to arrive.

The Pioneer unit I bought has an ungodly number of inputs and outputs. It connects directly to the R’s stereo wiring harness no problem. Beyond that it has a loom of RCA plugs and other wires for custom amp installations (I kept the original Bose amp, works great) as well as “hardwire” in/out for audio, another camera or video source, HDMI, USB for Apple and Android, AUX, GPS and more. The number of wires coming out of it and the ports going in are stunning. Due to the tight space behind the head unit where the Crux adapter was going to have to reside I ended up cutting and capping about a dozen wires and connectors that I didn’t need. I left enough wire for someone to add things back in if that day ever came. As you can see in the attached photos, the number of wires are still eye-popping for those of us that remember a positive, negative and two wires for each speaker in a fancy-dancy four speaker setup back in the day. It’s truly amazing it all fit inside.

So that’s my story. There were some rough patches along the way as noted in a few of my other posts, but in the end it all worked out fine and now we have a nice-sounding stereo that’ll do most everything except wash the wheels.

I’ll add a couple of posts with additional photos. If you’re like me you get more out of seeing than reading with stuff like this.

What I thought might be a four-hour or so job turned into about a day and a half. I see why car stereo shops charge upwards of $500 or more to do this. It’s a pain, but I leaned a lot and feel like this R is more “ours” now than it used to be.

Hope that helps those that follow and didn’t bore those that have already been down this path. Happy to answer any questions… just keep in mind you get what you pay for.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SSR Stereo Replacement 1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	550173   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSR Stereo Replacement 2.jpg
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	550175   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSR Stereo Replacement 3.jpg
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	550177   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSR Stereo Replacement 4.jpg
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	550179   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSR Stereo Replacement 5.jpeg
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	550181  

Cheers,

Rich

post #65 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:43 PM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Here are some of the modifications I needed to do in order for the new head unit to fit and the repeated "dry run" tests.

Also how I kept the R cool while running it to test everything - having learned that operating everything without the engine running for a few hours will kill the battery.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SSR Stereo Replacement 6.jpg
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	550183   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSR Stereo Replacement 7.jpg
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	550185   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSR Stereo Replacement 8.jpg
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	550187   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSR Stereo Replacement 9.jpg
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	550189   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSR Stereo Replacement 10.jpg
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	550191  

Cheers,

Rich

post #66 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:46 PM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
The Pioneer's wiring is just mind boggling! There's soooo many! I expect all new stereos are similar. But, wow!

I cannot stand "rattles" and other odd noises... love to hear either the engine purring or the stereo... and that's it! So I wrapped the Crux adapter and harness connector in foam before stuffing them into the back of the dash for a little peace of mind.

Forgot to mention that I used a MicroBypass ALL AVH-X Video In Motion Interface parking brake "bypass" to avoid the instance of not being able to use a menu item unless you're stopped with the parking brake on. I guess you can watch DVDs while driving or whatever too, but I don't plan on doing much DVD watching while even parked, soooo... That's why that long green wire is all bundled up. I could have cut it, but I didn't.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SSR Stereo Replacement 11.jpg
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	550193   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSR Stereo Replacement 12.jpg
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	550195   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSR Stereo Replacement 13.jpg
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	550197   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSR Stereo Replacement 14.jpg
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	550199   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSR Stereo Replacement 15.jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	550201  

Cheers,

Rich

post #67 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:49 PM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Auto-Vox Cam 6 backup camera works great with the Pioneer head unit.

Finally back together with a little screen customization inspired by IFytFyrs.

Kind of a long journey, but I'm a happy camper now. PLUS the wife thinks it "looks nice"... so what more's a guy to ask for?!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SSR Stereo Replacement 16.jpg
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	550207   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSR Stereo Replacement 18.jpg
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	550209   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSR Stereo Replacement 19.jpg
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	550211   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSR Stereo Replacement 20.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	550213  

Cheers,

Rich

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in