Tips & Tricks - Page 2 - Chevy SSR Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 06:50 PM

My SSR:
#6043 Adopted 4-4-2004
Unsticking the latch on the center console.

There have been a number of posts on problems opening the center console hatch.

I've found that a small amount of powdered graphite (lock lubricant) applied to the inside helps tremendously.

Gallery-photo1
Gallery-photo2

Glenn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 07:18 AM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2006 Racy Aqua Blur 6spd Chromed/SS front Tuned/ported by Jeremy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Prendergast
I ordered a set----absolute junk I would not put them on a Texas outhouse wall !!!!

I trashed them.
I cant use mine either - I wear glasses with bifocals and the lens is out of range of the bifocal and I bought the 57 chevy lens from Ecklers 57 chevy catalog and it works and looks great and is really cool looking on the dash.
post #33 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 06:37 AM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
Collapsing Radiator Hose

Your hose is not bad.......

The reason it is collapsing is that the radiator cap is plugged up. There are two functions in the cap... a 15psi regulator for pressurizing the system and a reverse flow "vacuum breaker" to let the air into the tank when the system cools. The vacuum breaker function can get clogged up with Dexcool residue and doesn't let the air back in. The big issue with this... is that your system will probably not pressurize fully when it gets hot next time and your coolant boiling temperature will be lowered.

Most of the time, you should be able to clean the cap with a brush under running water in the kitchen sink. Just don't get caught.

This is a maintenance item that is often overlooked.

Regards,

Mike

One of the "Blues Brothers"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
BUFFY = Big Ugly Fat Friendly Yankee - 2004 Vin# 8120
Send a message via AIM to Buffy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ
Your hose is not bad.......

The reason it is collapsing is that the radiator cap is plugged up. There are two functions in the cap... a 15psi regulator for pressurizing the system and a reverse flow "vacuum breaker" to let the air into the tank when the system cools. The vacuum breaker function can get clogged up with Dexcool residue and doesn't let the air back in. The big issue with this... is that your system will probably not pressurize fully when it gets hot next time and your coolant boiling temperature will be lowered.

Most of the time, you should be able to clean the cap with a brush under running water in the kitchen sink. Just don't get caught.

This is a maintenance item that is often overlooked.

Regards,

Mike
As always, another great tip from Mike!

Having fun, driving "Miss Daisy"

post #35 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 07:03 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Aqua Blur - SSRENITY #22578 Born 10/20/2005
Posting here for alex05ssr

Kiss Those Warped Saddle Bags Goodbye - Done Cheap!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone:

I'm so elated to post this information. My SSR soft side saddle bags were INCREDIBLY warped. My pal, "XSELER8" (Frank) and I have been kicking this issue and possible fixes around, and he mentioned the use of a rigid type channel that could slip over by force fit, and thereby stiffen/reinforce the free edge of the bag. Well, last weekend I turned the Home Depot and Lowe's stores upside down looking for a candidate. No luck, and very frustrating because I new what I was looking for, but just could't find the right item.

Well, late this week I was in my garage and looked up at my favorite 24"x36" poster called "Haulin' Ass". After finally drawing my attention away from the subject of the poster, my eyes were drawn to the 4 rigid plastic channel shaped trim pieces that are used to form the poster frame. I took off one of the 24" wide pieces and....and realized, oh my God, THIS IS IT! Not wanting to mess up my treasured poster, yesterday evening I went to Wal-Mart and bought a smaller, new 18"x24" poster frame, at a cost of $6.97, then set off to fix my softside saddle bags.

I slipped on as much of the 24" piece as I could as a trial run, then made a mark where I needed to cut off the excess. Actually, I first cut off the angle-cut end on one end to get a straight edge before I started. In the end, I needed to trim about 1" off of the 24" long pieces, for a length of 23".

Pretty amazing isn't it! You do not have to glue these pieces on, and the best scenario would be to reinforce the edges of your bags even before they become as warped as mine were. I've heard of other more elaborate ideas on how to correct this problem, but how can you beat the simplicity and cost of this fix, as well as the finished look....it looks stock and takes up no room in the bag.

So I must say, thanks SO MUCH Frank for starting the wheels turning in my head, to come up with a cure for the warped saddle bags.....couldn't have done it without you! This was a perfect end to a situation that was really bugging me, really bad.

Below are, from left to right, photos of the purchased poster frame with the trim pieces removed, the before right side bag, the after right side bag, the before left side bag, and the after left side bag.

Alex

post #36 of 99 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 08:37 AM
Machell
Supporting Member

My SSR:
"Sexy Susie" Slingshot Yellow 6457
Send a message via MSN to wildcat66 Send a message via Yahoo to wildcat66
Came across this tool in a magazine and thought we all could use this and I hadn't seen it mentioned before!
http://www.steckmfg.com/Newtools.htm

post #37 of 99 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 12:18 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
slingshot yellow 05' #16651 Born on10/15/04
Dash storage

I am going to replace my dash tray by the steering wheel with another in dash cup holder. Any tricks to removing the existing?

Bruce
tub
post #38 of 99 (permalink) Old 01-21-2007, 08:45 PM

My SSR:
2006 Pacific Blue
I am here to say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #39 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 08:50 AM

My SSR:
Black 2004
Cool Windscreen

Just installed my windscreen and found the bolt was not long enough if you remove the nut completely before putting the windscreen on.

I had to put the nut on a turn or two on the bolt and then pry the back piece out a little and then slip the windscreen in.

bronco
post #40 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 11:34 AM

My SSR:
Yellow 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to j.r.young
Removing sun visor stickers

It took about 10 minutes to pull each of the visors off. I then used "Crown Paint and Varnish Remover" from Lowe's or Home Depot. Use paper towels to soak the solvent onto the visors and then rub it off. Works great and doesn't hurt the visors in any way.
post #41 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 10:24 AM

My SSR:
Ultraviolet 2004 - "Flying Purple People Eater"
Send a message via Yahoo to harleyhutton
303 PROTECTANT - NEW ADVOCATE!!

I sent off my check for $5 and got the samples; just used it on my running boards and IT IS FANTASTIC STUFF!! (Got sample offer from 303 web site)

Also used it on my Harley on all plastic and rubber and it appears to be fully restored. UNBELIEVABLE!!

There's only one place in our area that sells it, but I'm driving over there next week to pick up a GALLON for sure!!
post #42 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-15-2007, 07:00 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
06 Pacific Blue, FPR, 6 speed, 3SS, Chrome Package #23714 BOD: 3/2/06
Garage
Thumbs up Dura-Gloss Products

I forgot how good of a prodcut Dura Gloss is. I used it all the time when we lived in NC. Could not get it in Vegas. Even though the Dura Gloss site said NAPA and Car Quest carry it. When I moved back east I stopped by a local parts store and there was two shelves of their products. I think their polish, window and leather cleaner along with the car wash soap is "sierra hotel"

One of the "Blues Brothers"

2006 Pac Blue, 3SS, 6 speed, #23714
2016 Indian Roadmaster
2016 Z71 Off Road Colorado
1985 5.7 "Z10" Blazer
post #43 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 09:09 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
WE have an Aqua Blur 05 and a Redline Red 05
Adhesive eraser

Here's a tip to remove the double back tape adhesive after removing emblems or wheel weights.

Go to your local auto paint supplier and get an adhesive eraser. It's a disc about 4 inch diameter and a half inch thick. It has a shaft attached to chuck it in a variable speed drill. This will take off all kinds of old adhesives without harming the paint. Just run it at low rpm and it will "erase" the glue easily. I use these all the time to get adhesive off motorcycle parts when I'm prepping them for paint. Just used one today to take the adhesive off my wheels where old wheel weights had been. If you don't have a local supplier you can find them at some auto parts stores or at www.eastwood.com
post #44 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 10:31 AM
Thank You To Our Troops

My SSR:
2006 Aqua Blur FPR Chrome Inside & Out , 2004 Redline Red,TAZMOBILE (deceased)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyhutton View Post

I sent off my check for $5 and got the samples; just used it on my running boards and IT IS FANTASTIC STUFF!! (Got sample offer from 303 web site)

Also used it on my Harley on all plastic and rubber and it appears to be fully restored. UNBELIEVABLE!!

There's only one place in our area that sells it, but I'm driving over there next week to pick up a GALLON for sure!!
I used some of this for the first time the other day and loved it to.

Here is how I found a retailer. Go to this website and punch in your zip. I found one about 2 miles down the road much to my surprise. Figured I would have to go to Asheville.

http://www.wheretobuy303.com/locator/us-index.php

post #45 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 08:46 AM

My SSR:
2006 Smokin Asphalt / Silver
Drying After Washing

Some of you may already do this for those of you that don't and want to try it be prepared to get strange looks from your neighbors.
When done washing any vehicle I own I use a leaf blower to remove that water. It gets all the water out of the nooks and crannies.
One important tip, it works better if your vehicle has a good coat of wax on it. I learned this trick when I had my Vette. I've been doing it this was ever since.
post #46 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 05:21 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
05 YELLOW-BORN 9-29-04 VIN 15829
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyhutton View Post

CURIOUS????? DOES IT MAKE THE RUNNING BOARD SLIPPERY????
post #47 of 99 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 07:46 AM

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow
Re: Forum Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhopper89 View Post
SSR Fanatic Usage Tip...

Some of the threads can get rather lengthly - with multiple posts and graphics and all. To read the threads more quickly, you can reverse the order of the thread - to show the newest posts first within a thread. (Rather than scroll down thru all the posts you have already read.)

To do this,

1) Go to User CP,
2) Click on "edit Options" in left column,
3) Scroll down to "Thread Display Options"
4) In the Thread Display Mode, make your change... set to: Linear - Newest First, to see the new posts at the top of the thread page.

ALSO - If you right click - oh say the User CP link in the orange line above - and select Open In New Window, you'll have this page still open to look at the instructions.

Hope this helps...
!

Thanks for the tips above....I learned something!
post #48 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 06:27 PM
SSR Pit Crew

ill swap my cup holder for your coin holder
post #49 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 06:57 PM

My SSR:
06 Slingshot 6 Speed #22762
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgssr View Post
TO remove this , I power washed at a carwash and let it dry.Next got some water repllent for shoes or fabric and sprayed it on.Make sure to not get any on the hood itself.I used a piece of carboard to put under the blanket and just moved it around or take it off.Use two (2) light coats.I,ve had this done for about 4 months know and it's not came back.
jgssr 04 Redine
What white stuff? Do you know what it was? Where it came from?
post #50 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 08:15 PM

My SSR:
"BETSY BLUE" (AQUA BLUR) 2005 VIN #16907
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMJOEVAL View Post
CURIOUS????? DOES IT MAKE THE RUNNING BOARD SLIPPERY????
Nope, I use it regularly and it does a great job. Not slippery at all.
post #51 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 10:59 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 aquabur 6 speed
Use Orange Plus from Walmart to get road grime and buggs off. Can be used any where on ext. let set for 5 to 10 min, then wash with car wash sprayer.No rubbing or scrubbing. Been using it on new 02 chevy with no harm and been using it on my 06 SSR sence new also.
post #52 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 11:30 PM
Great Canadian SSR Crew

My SSR:
2005 Aqua Blur 6 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRENITY View Post
Kiss Those Warped Saddle Bags Goodbye - Done Cheap!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone:

I'm so elated to post this information. My SSR soft side saddle bags were INCREDIBLY warped. My pal, "XSELER8" (Frank) and I have been kicking this issue and possible fixes around, and he mentioned the use of a rigid type channel that could slip over by force fit, and thereby stiffen/reinforce the free edge of the bag. Well, last weekend I turned the Home Depot and Lowe's stores upside down looking for a candidate. No luck, and very frustrating because I new what I was looking for, but just could't find the right item.

Well, late this week I was in my garage and looked up at my favorite 24"x36" poster called "Haulin' Ass". After finally drawing my attention away from the subject of the poster, my eyes were drawn to the 4 rigid plastic channel shaped trim pieces that are used to form the poster frame. I took off one of the 24" wide pieces and....and realized, oh my God, THIS IS IT! Not wanting to mess up my treasured poster, yesterday evening I went to Wal-Mart and bought a smaller, new 18"x24" poster frame, at a cost of $6.97, then set off to fix my softside saddle bags.

I slipped on as much of the 24" piece as I could as a trial run, then made a mark where I needed to cut off the excess. Actually, I first cut off the angle-cut end on one end to get a straight edge before I started. In the end, I needed to trim about 1" off of the 24" long pieces, for a length of 23".

Pretty amazing isn't it! You do not have to glue these pieces on, and the best scenario would be to reinforce the edges of your bags even before they become as warped as mine were. I've heard of other more elaborate ideas on how to correct this problem, but how can you beat the simplicity and cost of this fix, as well as the finished look....it looks stock and takes up no room in the bag.

So I must say, thanks SO MUCH Frank for starting the wheels turning in my head, to come up with a cure for the warped saddle bags.....couldn't have done it without you! This was a perfect end to a situation that was really bugging me, really bad.

Below are, from left to right, photos of the purchased poster frame with the trim pieces removed, the before right side bag, the after right side bag, the before left side bag, and the after left side bag.

Alex

Used this tip and it worked great. Thanks for the tip. But here is an idea to get more value from your $6.97.

Just got new personalized plates and wanted to protect them from bug splatters and rock chips. After market plate covers don't fit the stock front license holder, as it is designed to slip the plate under a narrow lip. Pondering what to do, I saw the plastic left over from the poster frame. Cut it to fit the plate, drilled some holes and voila, plate protection.

Don't know how long it will hold up, but I have enough plastic for many more. Should last until I find a better solution.

Penticton Beach Cruise 2010
post #53 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 01:49 AM

Fuel saving Tips

Turn off that A/C.
Despite what studies may have you believe, running the air-conditioner is not better for fuel economy versus opening a window or sunroof. While the latter two do disrupt airflow, the loss of mileage is minimal in comparison to the A/Cís drain on the engine while running. But if you absolutely insist on running the A/C, park your truck in the shade as much as possible so that your engine wonít have to work as hard to cool the cab as well as your temper.
------------------
Sarah
post #54 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 11:24 PM
Banned

good links here
post #55 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 03:10 AM
Banned

thanks! great information
post #56 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Banned

thanks for these information
post #57 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 03:03 PM
Clogger fan
Supporting Member

My SSR:
EX-X-SELER8...Currently living in Texas...owned by some really nice people
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymike68 View Post
good links here
Quote:
thanks! great information
Quote:
thanks for these information
Don't Spam it ...I mean don't mention it.

post #58 of 99 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 01:05 AM
Banned

Thank You!
post #59 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 08:22 AM

My SSR:
2005 red
Thumbs up fuse block under hood

I had problems with my under hood fuse block the dealer said none available.I could not use my Air Conditioner.I waited two weeks with no car.I spoke to a friend,he suggested to remove the fuse block and repair.I guess our mechanics today dont know how.I phoned the Chevy dealer and told him to do it and they had the car done in 3hours only because I told him to.Our mechanics of today cant think or repair anything.They are exchange professionals.Paul:
post #60 of 99 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 09:15 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
Remove Direction Module

This may help you SSR Fanatics who are upgrading their brake lights and others with LED.

This is how to remove the module.

1. Light/Mirror/small flat screw driver, push up on tab.
2. Module moves forward toward engine
3. Reach up and pull module down.
4. Black module is removed and replaced with LM487 for LED lights.

Reverse procedure. NOTE: Two tabs on case are off set, be patient it will go back.

Dicktaotor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09-1014 27.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	91632   Click image for larger version

Name:	09-1014 28.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	739.3 KB
ID:	91633   Click image for larger version

Name:	09-1014 29.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	399.5 KB
ID:	91634   Click image for larger version

Name:	09-1014 31.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	526.5 KB
ID:	91635  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in