Top and Pillars Weatherstripping Adhesive Failure...LEAKS!!!!!! - Chevy SSR Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ggoat!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2006 Blue over Primer'd Bondo FPR 6spd #23424 slapped together 2/22/06
Exclamation Top and Pillars Weatherstripping Adhesive Failure...LEAKS!!!!!!

Hi everyone...

I'm sure alot of people here know, but for those who don't, there is a common passenger side A-pillar leak in these trucks. Mostly difficult to find. I have this problem.

I did all the fixes on this site and still had the leak. I took off the cowl and cleaned the drains. I covered the air inlet by the blower. No change.

I then removed the passenger's exterior A-pillar trim and weatherstripping and found this:

Those pictures are from another thread but I had the same exact weatherstripping adhesive failure. I removed all of that old sticky goo from the A-pillar and from the weatherstripping itself and resealed with two full tubes of black Permatex RTV. I made sure to leave the two drains in the weatherstrip open.

I STILL HAD THE LEAK.

I then took Ripshift's advice and sealed here:

If you seal here, pay attention...the outer 1/4" of the weatherstrip is a drain and it is open on the top. You don't want to seal this.

It rained a couple days later. Passenger floor was soaked!

Perplexed, I noticed there was a small bead of water between the passenger's interior A-pillar cover and the body color dash molding. I removed that piece today and had my girlfriend soak the truck. For about an hour I saw no leaks anywhere. I soaked the cowl...absolutely nothing dripping anywhere.

Then, I saw it. It took quite a while to appear, and I only saw it when I was putting the interior A-pillar cover back on. In the top right corner of the passenger's A-pillar, right where I STOPPED sealing with RTV originally on the corner (by the torx bit)...little drips of water were coming in. Here is where it leaks:

I removed the weatherstripping across the top above the windshield. The entire adhesive along the weatherstripping has completely failed as in the pics above. it's just a clumpy gooey mess. Water leaks under the weatherstripping where the adhesive has failed and pools in low spots such as the A-pillar corners...and drips into the truck behind the kickpanel.

I'm in the process now of resealing the entire top weatherstripping. I've cleaned it with Goo-Gone and 91% alcohol. In a little while I will reseal it with the black Permatex RTV. I will put an extra amount toward the A-pillar corner by shoving the tip of the caulking gun deep under the weatherstripping.

If you have a persistent A-pillar leak, it just might not be leaking at the A-pillar itself or cowl. Check the top weatherstripping all the way across...over time water drips down past the failed adhesive, seeps to the corners, and leaks inside the A-pillar because the truck isn't flat on the top.

I will follow up on this thread if my leak is finally gone. Hell, I'll follow up if it's still there too.

Now...back to work with the caulking gun!!!!!!

BTW...whoever decided to use such a POS adhesive can suck a giant caulk-ing gun!!!!!!

Hope this helps!
Jeff

Top and Pillars Weatherstripping Adhesive Failure...LEAKS!!!!!!-20190413_230735-1.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:32 PM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
I will be following as I am still fighting leaks as well. This thread also made me realize I had to run out in the rain and turn my truck around. If it is parked front end up hill I get water in on the drivers side rear. If I park it front end going down hill little to no leak.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
I've got it all sealed with black Permatex RTV. Man is that difficult to do well...gets everywhere. The cleanup takes longer than the fix. We'll see how it works. If it still leaks I can push back the weatherstripping away from the windshield (it is anchored in the cab) and pump some in that channel. The channel there is surprisingly deep and wide, about an inch and a half wide, and there really isn't anything keeping water out...that weatherstrip doesn't fit very tight in the gap when the roof is up. But, hopefully the water will no longer drain inside the truck. Hopefully.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 01:36 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 1SB/6spd Redline Red
This just occurred to me. The windshield header weatherstripping was not "glued" in from the factory. It is adhered with 3M foam tape. So, if you're seeing adhesive in there, that means someone else pulled the weatherstrip out and glued it back in with the wrong product.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Nope...bought the truck new. It has never had any seals removed until now. It had the same yellow goo as the pics above of the A-pillar. Again, those yellow goo pics are not my truck...but I had the exact same goo failure. And, that same goo went all along the top weatherstrip to the driver's A-pillar. No 3M foam tape here.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
BTW...I'm not talking about the windshield weatherstripping itself. I'm talking about the seal for the top that runs between the two A-pillars.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:20 PM
Daily Driver
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Hmm, I wonder if the "yellow goo" is foam tape after 15 years?

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Nope, it would have to totally disintegrate into chunks.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Guess what!!!!!!

My top...

Top and Pillars Weatherstripping Adhesive Failure...LEAKS!!!!!!-hi-gear-hg2235s-leaks-oil-treatment-15-fl-ca11a8hprgqm3-600x600-1-1.jpg

WooHoo!!!!!!
hondaconvert likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in