LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
MY05SSR
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 6spd. Agua Blur and 2004 Slingshot
Garage
Question Top won't go down

I was going to clean inside top cargo area but something came up. I had just got the roof cover up when I had to stop and leave. I got back to it the following day and now I closed roof cover and then let top down. Now it goes to where I left it last night with roof cover up and it stops and the timer times out. any suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 02:26 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
I can only guess but need to raise bed cover and flipper, manually lower roof (two people) into compartment and try roof switch.

Rood Door Module has roof out of sequence.

If not working, do reverse raise roof manually and close roof cover.

It is just out of sequence. ALL oil drains to tank within 30 to 40 seconds AFTER stop roof operation.

See SSR How to Library: https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D...F39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator
12Pack likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
MY05SSR
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Garage
Won't I need Roof release tool? I just ordered one off you. Will definitely try it at later date (when tool arrives)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 09:47 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPierce View Post
Won't I need Roof release tool? I just ordered one off you. Will definitely try it at later date (when tool arrives)
You said you "got roof up" but did it latch?? Won't need tool if it "didn't" latch.

That said there are other ways to unlatch roof without tool, not as easy but doable.

Go to SSR HOW TO LIBRARY: https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D...F39D9F5ADCE5E5

Go to ROOF OUTER ACTUATOR. Show you how to "snap" rods off and you can unlatch roof.

Dicktator
12Pack likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
MY05SSR
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Garage
Top was up
I said roof cover which I thought was the piece right behind top(not to contradict you-you know what your doing). It was up with flipper, I stopped there and I didn't hear top unlatch but I had radio on so it could have. All said, I'll wait for tool to get here because I can drive it with top up and I really don't know what I'm doing but I do agree with you of it being out of sequence and I have no one to help me putting top down until next week (they went on vacation) I'm use to my vettes (you lift them up and down)
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 12:32 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow, "PowerGlide" Alloy Rims (yuk) Runnin' Boards, Gauge Package
Quote:
I was going to clean inside top cargo area but something came up. I had just got the roof cover up when I had to stop and leave. I got back to it the following day and now I closed roof cover and then let top down. Now it goes to where I left it last night with roof cover up and it stops and the timer times out. any suggestions
John Dicktator to the rescue !!!
12Pack likes this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
MY05SSR
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Garage
Dicktator
While I'm waiting for tool, I undid visor clips and snapped plastic cover off to see how hard it would be to snap rods off like you suggested but really got disappointed. Someone before me has got the wiring wrapped up in a black foam wrap with white, red, black and last PINK tape holding it together. So while the tool gets here, I'm going to take off foam wrap and check wires for breaks. Now I know why previous owner traded it in and not return car dealers calls (I had them trying to contact last owner over some engine modifications) and why the price was low. You get what you pay for. Whats bad is I never did get my cargo light working after I installed 2 amp fuse and LED bulb like you said in library, but I'll get to it eventually
Thanks for all your help and hopefully I can drive it to Warner Robins with top down
tinyssnowplows likes this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 03:03 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
Dicktator
While I'm waiting for tool, I undid visor clips and snapped plastic cover off to see how hard it would be to snap rods off like you suggested but really got disappointed. Someone before me has got the wiring wrapped up in a black foam wrap with white, red, black and last PINK tape holding it together. So while the tool gets here, I'm going to take off foam wrap and check wires for breaks. Now I know why previous owner traded it in and not return car dealers calls (I had them trying to contact last owner over some engine modifications) and why the price was low. You get what you pay for. Whats bad is I never did get my cargo light working after I installed 2 amp fuse and LED bulb like you said in library, but I'll get to it eventually
Thanks for all your help and hopefully I can drive it to Warner Robins with top down
Even if you can't get the top down I hope you are still coming to Warner Robins. At least then when you are describing the problems we will have a better image in our minds, If we do not get it fixed there, since we do have a very full schedule.
12Pack likes this.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
MY05SSR
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Garage
Warner Robins trip

BlueStreak
Oh yea, I'll bring it with top up
BlueStreak and CruDawg like this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 01:32 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
John, we will fix your top, or at least, tell you how to fix it in Warren Robbins.

See you there. Bring can of CHF 11S Hydraulic Oil for Roof, may need some.

Where? Advance, AutoZone, O'Riellys.

A "squeeze" bottle would be good also.

Dicktator
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	531483  
12Pack likes this.

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 09:09 AM

My SSR:
05, 6 speed. Yellow with the bottom half Black. Daily ride of 3yrs. Just now working on her.
How do you check for the oil for the roof ? Are there relays or fuses that could be burned out. my windows go down but the top does not. I did smell burning wire. Last owner had some lights added and the wire was just screwed to a power wire (literally) and taped Ugh Thanks for any help
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 09:57 AM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groceryman101 View Post
How do you check for the oil for the roof ? Are there relays or fuses that could be burned out. my windows go down but the top does not. I did smell burning wire. Last owner had some lights added and the wire was just screwed to a power wire (literally) and taped Ugh Thanks for any help
Check the oil? There is a dot on the driver's end of the reservoir that is near the middle vertically. Oil should be there.
The smell of burniing wire is never a good thing.

You need to go to User CP in upper Right corner of the page and edit Your Profile in the Left column so we know where you are located and can get someone nearby to help out.

Sounds like the previous owner did not do you any favors.
Groceryman101 likes this.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
MY05SSR
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Garage
Top won't go down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicktator View Post
John, we will fix your top, or at least, tell you how to fix it in Warren Robbins.

See you there. Bring can of CHF 11S Hydraulic Oil for Roof, may need some.

Where? Advance, AutoZone, O'Riellys.

A "squeeze" bottle would be good also.

Dicktator
Dicktator, I'll have oil and squeeze bottle in truck. Thanks and see you there
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 11:44 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groceryman101 View Post
Go to SSR How to Library:

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D...F39D9F5ADCE5E5

Read about Roof, I am real concerned about "burnt" wires.

I notice you only 5 Post in one year, if you had been more active, may have found wire problem Before it went bad.

Dicktator

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 03:00 PM

My SSR:
2004 Chevrolet SSR
Garage
Where is the hydraulic fluid add container? I have not seen one in my repairs to my 04 SSR. I have asked & got no real answers. Why does the Roof ajar message come on when I hit a rough road with top down? The switches around windshield have no affect with top down. Just asking nicely for a reply with out being bullied.
12Pack likes this.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
MY05SSR
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Garage
Roof Ajar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady in Red View Post
Where is the hydraulic fluid add container? I have not seen one in my repairs to my 04 SSR. I have asked & got no real answers. Why does the Roof ajar message come on when I hit a rough road with top down? The switches around windshield have no affect with top down. Just asking nicely for a reply with out being bullied.
Go to post 4 of this thread and oil pump and tank are in roof compartment in front center at bottom (I followed hydraulic hose to find) and I wouldn't bully another person from Ohio, I lived there 50years
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 05:11 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady in Red View Post
Quote:
Go to post 4 of this thread and oil pump and tank are in roof compartment in front center at bottom (I followed hydraulic hose to find) and I wouldn't bully another person from Ohio, I lived there 50years
Hydraulic Fluid - Look in to the top storage compartment from the driver side. look under the big black box.

Roof ajar - It sounds like the roof is not locking down in the compartment and it bounces so the sensor switches indicate it is moving.
12Pack likes this.

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 10:04 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Bullied? That shlt don't fly here.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 05:55 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
No SSR, looking for next one;-
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Bullied? That shlt don't fly here.
Read post #14, I'm guessing that is what she is referring to. Groceryman got yelled at for asking a question and not being more active, if you know Dick you wouldn't be offended by his comments, he would help anyone, but I can understand how it could be taken wrong by a casual reader that doesn't know him.
Guzzi Guy and SSReplay like this.

If you search the world for happiness, you may find it in the end, for the world is round and will lead you back to your door. ~Robert Brault
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 07:15 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
John, Confirmed Hands On Tech Day in Deltona, Fl. Saturday Oct. 20th.

Watch the site for more information, we will fix your roof.

We lived in Ohio for 15yrs. Cleveland/Columbus.

Dicktator

Can't see Reservoir, it has Factory Plastic "boot" around it with tie wrap , cut tie wrap and remove.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	16.40.03.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	531853   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171031_134958.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	531855   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171031_141315.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	531857   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171031_144741.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	531859   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pump Location.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	531861  

post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 10:40 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
Read post #14, I'm guessing that is what she is referring to. Groceryman got yelled at for asking a question and not being more active, if you know Dick you wouldn't be offended by his comments, he would help anyone, but I can understand how it could be taken wrong by a casual reader that doesn't know him.
Ah right, I heard that crusty old fart chases the whippersnappers off his lawn too.

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 12:45 PM

My SSR:
2004 Chevrolet SSR
Garage
Exactly correct. I have several Gremlins hiding in my SSR. I still can't see the fill for hydraulic fluid. Plus my top, like me, is getting slower getting up. Need life alert? LOL Still wondering why so many SSR owners have not had problems with Catalytic converters, ABS, Speedometer, Body shifting on frame etc. Yes I know I have 154,000 more miles than most SSR's. I have not abused my SSR. The only Gremlin I fixed & have no trouble with is Speedometer & over heating & cooling. Not to mention the Paint. The guy before me must have had several accidents not reported to show up on Auto Fax. How do I know this? I was under the rear of Kelly. I looked at build information on rear bumper. The date was 2006 build? I had a Lady tell me at Woodward Ave dream cruise. She was the rear bumper installer at Lansing plant. No way a 2006 bumper would end up on a 2004 from factory assembly line. Oh well. Be nice if I could find a Paint shop to repaint my SSR, Chrysler & Buick. All need repaint but no place close by will talk to me about a complete repaint.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 08:29 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
It's hard to believe there isn't some shop near you that wouldn't do a total repaint. Production paint shops like to get 'em in and out so a total repaint would not be in their business plan. Depending on what you want painted, if it's not a color change they don't have to dismantle the truck first. That would be mucho expensive.

The rear fascia is not hard to screw up, so having had one replaced is not necessarily indicative of a serious hit. It could be as simple as backing into something solid like a concrete base of a parking lot light pole. Never mind how I know... moving right along.

Likely your top going up slow because the pneumatic struts are pooped, they give the top a 260 lb push.

The hydraulic pump with it's plastic reservoir in under the box in the roof storage compartment.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	roof pump.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	531967  

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
MY05SSR
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Garage
Question Tech Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicktator View Post
John, Confirmed Hands On Tech Day in Deltona, Fl. Saturday Oct. 20th.

Watch the site for more information, we will fix your roof.

We lived in Ohio for 15yrs. Cleveland/Columbus.

Dicktator

Can't see Reservoir, it has Factory Plastic "boot" around it with tie wrap , cut tie wrap and remove.
Dicktator
What do you mean "Confirmed Hands On Tech Day in Deltona, Fl. Saturday Oct. 20" not that I wouldn't mind. (I 'm a stay at home fanatic)
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 05:10 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Dicktator
What do you mean "Confirmed Hands On Tech Day in Deltona, Fl. Saturday Oct. 20" not that I wouldn't mind. (I 'm a stay at home fanatic)
John,
Don't worry about Tech Day on Oct. 20th, we will see you in Warren Robbins and fix your roof.

Dicktator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in