• Passenger power window motor with position sensors​
• Driver and passenger door handle switches​
• Driver and passenger door jamb switches​
• Driver and passenger lock switches​
• ROOF - DOOR MOD 30-amp circuit breaker​
• RDM2 15-amp fuse​
• IGN 0 10-amp fuse​

Power Windows Controls

The vehicle is equipped with power windows controlled by the RDM. The driver and passenger power windows are controlled by either of the following:

• A power window switch activation which sends a switched ground signal to the RDM indicating an up or down request​
• A window indexing function which is enabled in the up direction by lifting the door handle and enabled in the down direction when the door is closed​
• A moveable roof open request in which both power windows perform an express down function​

Power Window Motor Operation

Each power window motor receives battery voltage and ground from the RDM through the window motor control circuits. The window motors are reversible. The direction the window moves depends on which motor control circuit the voltage is applied to, and which motor control circuit the ground is applied to. To move the window in the Up direction, the module applies voltage to the window motor Up control circuit, and ground to the window motor Down control circuit. When a window movement in the opposite direction is needed, the module reverses the polarity and applies voltage and ground to the opposite circuits to move the window in the reverse direction.

Both power window motors also have internal position sensors. These sensors signal the RDM with current window position data. They are supplied both battery voltage and a constant ground source and use two signal circuits to the RDM.

Power Window Express Down Operation

The express down feature is used to lower the driver and passenger power windows to the full down position when the either window switch is momentarily activated in the down direction or when a moveable roof open request is received.

Power Window Indexing Feature Operation

This feature is used to lower the driver and passenger power windows down approximately 9 mm when the door is opened . This is necessary to allow the top edge of the window to clear the window weather-strip. This feature will also raise the window to the fully seated position once the door is closed.

This feature is enabled in the down direction by a switched ground signal to the RDM from the door handle switch when it is lifted. The RDM will then supply power and ground to the appropriate window motor control circuits to lower the window.

This feature is enabled in the up direction by a switched ground signal to the RDM from the door jamb switch when the door is closed. The RDM will then supply power and ground to the appropriate window motor control circuits to raise the window.
____
Document ID# 1343992
Chevrolet SSR

See less See more
#2 ·
Window Tip-In Adjustment - Door

Adjustment Procedure

1. Position the window fully up.
2. Remove the door trim panel. Refer to Trim Panel Replacement - Door .

3. Remove the water deflector. Refer to Water Deflector Replacement - Front Door .

4. Loosen the jack screw jam nut (1).
5. Adjust tip in with the jack screw (2).
- Important: One turn of the screw equals approximately 1 mm (0.04 in) change at the top of the window.
Turn the jack screw clockwise to tip the window outward.
- Turn the jack screw counterclockwise to tip the window inward.
7. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.
8. Tighten the jack screw jam nut (1).
Tighten
Tighten the jack screw jam nut to 5 N•m (44 lb in).
9. Raise the window and inspect the alignment. Repeat the procedure as necessary.

10. Install the water deflector. Refer to Water Deflector Replacement - Front Door .
11. Install the door trim panel. Refer to Trim Panel Replacement - Door .
12. Close the door.
________________________________________​
Document ID# 1239715
Chevrolet SSR

#3 ·
Power Window Initialization:

Power Window Initialization

The window initialization procedure will need to be performed any time the battery is disconnected. the procedure allows the RDM to detect the top and bottom position of the window glass and to calculate actual window position in relation to the top and bottom. The RDM shall store these end positions once they have been detected when the window has reached the full up and full down positions. It is not possible to initialize the window if the door is open, because the window glass needs to seat in the weather-strip on the roof. If the door is open and the initialization is lost due to battery disconnect, the actual position of the glass after power is switched ON again will become the Zero-position, and if the RDM receives a door open status the glass shall index down.

To perform the window initialization procedure:

1. Close the vehicle doors.
2. Activate the window switch in the up position until the window has reached the full up position and stalls and hold the switch for an additional 0.5 seconds.
3. Activate the window switch in the down position until the window has reached the full down position and stalls and hold the switch for an additional 0.5 seconds.​

#56 ·
Window Indexing

Power Window Initialization

The window initialization procedure will need to be performed any time the battery is disconnected. the procedure allows the RDM to detect the top and bottom position of the window glass and to calculate actual window position in relation to the top and bottom. The RDM shall store these end positions once they have been detected when the window has reached the full up and full down positions. It is not possible to initialize the window if the door is open, because the window glass needs to seat in the weather-strip on the roof. If the door is open and the initialization is lost due to battery disconnect, the actual position of the glass after power is switched ON again will become the Zero-position, and if the RDM receives a door open status the glass shall index down.

To perform the window initialization procedure:

1. Close the vehicle doors.
2. Activate the window switch in the up position until the window has reached the full up position and stalls and hold the switch for an additional 0.5 seconds.
3. Activate the window switch in the down position until the window has reached the full down position and stalls and hold the switch for an additional 0.5 seconds.​
thanks, Mike

#4 ·
Tinting Windows!

Subject: Info - Aftermarket Window Tint May Have Vertical Scratches or Tear #06-08-64-038 - (12/14/2006)
Models: 2003-2006 Chevrolet SSR

____
Important: General Motors does not recommend or support the use of any aftermarket tint in any GM vehicle.

Aftermarket window tint scratches or tears may be noticed primarily when the window travels full up or down. Since the doors have no "A" frame or upper door channel like most vehicles, there are guide pads in the door to support the glass. These guide pads make direct contact with the glass during vertical movement and may damage aftermarket window tinting.

Any aftermarket tinting should be removed to correct this condition. DO NOT replace the door glass.

#41 ·
Subject: Info - Aftermarket Window Tint May Have Vertical Scratches or Tear #06-08-64-038 - (12/14/2006)
Models: 2003-2006 Chevrolet SSR

Aftermarket window tint scratches or tears may be noticed primarily when the window travels full up or down. Since the doors have no "A" frame or upper door channel like most vehicles, there are guide pads in the door to support the glass. These guide pads make direct contact with the glass during vertical movement and may damage aftermarket window tinting.

Any aftermarket tinting should be removed to correct this condition. DO NOT replace the door glass.

I have been a Auto window tinter for 25 years, and also being a SSR owner, I know that the scratched film is not caused by guides in the door, and also it being a frameless window has nothing to do with it either.

The issue with the scratched glass, just for reference, is a problem with the material that GM chose in the making of the interior window swipes. This is the little rubber flap that is snug up against the inside bottom of the window.
Most all GM cars and trucks (framed and frameless glass) have a rubber flap with felt on them as to not scratch. Back in 2000-02, manufacturers started testing other types of hard rubber or soft plastics to make these swipes out of but found that they scratched not only window tint film but also the glass itself without film installed. Some other vehicles with the same problem as the SSR are Acura TL, Chrysler Town & Country, Ford Mustang, BMW 3 series, Honda Accord, Mercedes C class, Nissan Titan and Toyota FJ.

A Moleskin material can be installed on the inside surface that mates up with the glass to stop the scratching and it will last a long time. It can be bought from venders here on the forum or other places.

Just some knowledge for those that like to learn :)

#5 ·
Marc, As a recent SSR owner 10/06 the Fanitic site has given me a wealth of information. As an 04 owner of a slingshot yellow SSR, I have had NO problems to date/ but plan to installan optima battery/ have installed K&N filter, and several add ons spoiler/ mats/ emblems/ custom license WFH-SSR / etc..... Thanks so much for supplying this info...... Tomahawke in NC

#6 ·
windows not operating in cold tempatures

recently have had issues with the windows not responding in tempatures below 32 degrees....was wondering if anyone else has had these types of problems. It's almost as if the RDM froze. I was able to get the door open and the truck started. once the heater warmed up everything worked as it should, but it was a bit scary opening the door with the window in the full up position.....

any comments would be appreciated....

btw....the odometer display intermittantly goes in the cold also and won't come back on till the truck is "re-booted"....

#11 ·
First time I've seen mentioned

recently have had issues with the windows not responding in tempatures below 32 degrees....was wondering if anyone else has had these types of problems. It's almost as if the RDM froze. I was able to get the door open and the truck started. once the heater warmed up everything worked as it should, but it was a bit scary opening the door with the window in the full up position.....

any comments would be appreciated....

btw....the odometer display intermittantly goes in the cold also and won't come back on till the truck is "re-booted"....
This is the first time I have found a reference to a particular problem I'm having... the very last line about display going dark. Anyone else trying to trouble shoot this one? BTW, the ignition has already been replaced once

#9 ·

:black: /:silver:
top down mode, windows go down same speed
top up mode, after top cycle windows go up ?????? is one window allways slower than the other .....allways lag behind. in this mode?
can this be corrected ?

#10 ·
:black: /:silver:
top down mode, windows go down same speed
top up mode, after top cycle windows go up ?????? is one window allways slower than the other .....allways lag behind. in this mode?
can this be corrected ?
My driver side window was going up slower than my passenger side. I had the driver side motor replaced and now it is faster than the passenger side.....:leaving

#16 ·
For the express window just tap the window button and let go.

When you put your top up, once the top locks in, hold the top up button for another 5 seconds...the windows should be heading up...

#23 ·
good morning , i see that you have a lot on window information my drivers window went down and will not go back up, replaced the motor no luck, the ignition switch has been replaced twice, the top works fine the passenger window go up in the roof mode , the drivers does not, the dealership thinks it is the curcuit board in the center console the drivers switch is bad, on back order for 3months , do you know of any test that i can perform on the board to make sure it is the switch, thanks bob

#24 ·
good morning , i see that you have a lot on window information my drivers window went down and will not go back up, replaced the motor no luck, the ignition switch has been replaced twice, the top works fine the passenger window go up in the roof mode , the drivers does not, the dealership thinks it is the curcuit board in the center console the drivers switch is bad, on back order for 3months , do you know of any test that i can perform on the board to make sure it is the switch, thanks bob
How long ago did this happen...days, months or.......I couldn't drive two days w/o the window being up. Is your dealer compatent in troubleshooting the problem? Sounds like you need to find a new dealer.

#31 ·
Window jerking up and down when door closed

When my door is closed the window will only move about 1 inch when I push the button. I have to keep pushing it to open or close it completely. With the door open it will open and close fine. The problem is sporadic but usually acts up. Dealer thought it might be a switch which doesn't make sense to me. Sounds like some type of short or relay. It seems like it has to be in the door somewhere.

If anyone has heard of this I could use some help.

Thanks,

Chris:black:

Document ID# 1343992
Chevrolet SSR

Power Windows System Components
The following components are used to control the power windows:

• Roof door module (RDM)
• Master power window switch
• LH front power window motor
• Driver power window motor with position sensors
• Passenger power window motor with position sensors
• Driver and passenger door handle switches
• Driver and passenger door jamb switches
• Driver and passenger lock switches
• ROOF - DOOR MOD 30-amp circuit breaker
• RDM2 15-amp fuse
• IGN 0 10-amp fuse​

Power Windows Controls

The vehicle is equipped with power windows controlled by the RDM. The driver and passenger power windows are controlled by either of the following:

• A power window switch activation which sends a switched ground signal to the RDM indicating an up or down request
• A window indexing function which is enabled in the up direction by lifting the door handle and enabled in the down direction when the door is closed
• A moveable roof open request in which both power windows perform an express down function​

Power Window Motor Operation

Each power window motor receives battery voltage and ground from the RDM through the window motor control circuits. The window motors are reversible. The direction the window moves depends on which motor control circuit the voltage is applied to, and which motor control circuit the ground is applied to. To move the window in the Up direction, the module applies voltage to the window motor Up control circuit, and ground to the window motor Down control circuit. When a window movement in the opposite direction is needed, the module reverses the polarity and applies voltage and ground to the opposite circuits to move the window in the reverse direction.

Both power window motors also have internal position sensors. These sensors signal the RDM with current window position data. They are supplied both battery voltage and a constant ground source and use two signal circuits to the RDM.

Power Window Express Down Operation

The express down feature is used to lower the driver and passenger power windows to the full down position when the either window switch is momentarily activated in the down direction or when a moveable roof open request is received.

Power Window Indexing Feature Operation

This feature is used to lower the driver and passenger power windows down approximately 9 mm when the door is opened . This is necessary to allow the top edge of the window to clear the window weather-strip. This feature will also raise the window to the fully seated position once the door is closed.

This feature is enabled in the down direction by a switched ground signal to the RDM from the door handle switch when it is lifted. The RDM will then supply power and ground to the appropriate window motor control circuits to lower the window.

This feature is enabled in the up direction by a switched ground signal to the RDM from the door jamb switch when the door is closed. The RDM will then supply power and ground to the appropriate window motor control circuits to raise the window.

#33 ·
Power window indexing question

Hi all,

Thanks for helpful info on windows. I have a question. Any help is greatly appreciated. This feature has stopped working - 2004 SSR - windows go down 9mm but do not return to up position. Vehicle has been in storage and battery was a bit low, so I charged it up. Drivers side window worked at first when I opened the door to start vehicle, then stopped - now both window indexing is not operating. Any suggestions?

Thanks again,

Patsy

#34 ·
Hi all,

Thanks for helpful info on windows. I have a question. Any help is greatly appreciated. This feature has stopped working - 2004 SSR - windows go down 9mm but do not return to up position. Vehicle has been in storage and battery was a bit low, so I charged it up. Drivers side window worked at first when I opened the door to start vehicle, then stopped - now both window indexing is not operating. Any suggestions?

Thanks again,

Patsy
reset it by following procedure...should be good to go.

#36 ·
Power window indexing question

Hi again all,

Thanks so much for the prompt reply! Will try the suggested procedure. I'm a new member hoping to go to the Peach City Beach Cruise in Penticton BC this year. Got the info from your forum today. Looking forward to it.

BTW, SSR is slingshot yellow.

Patsy

#39 ·
My R has been doing the exact same thing for the last 4 or 5 months. Last week I was cleaning the inside of the R so I had both doors open for about 30 minutes. While I was working I heard the window index down. When I finished cleaning and closed the door it indexed up properly. It has been working correctly since. You should give it a try just open the door that is not functioning properly and see if it will correct itself. It seemed that by leaving the door open for that long period the computer straightened itself out. It's worth a try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.