Windshield wipers - Chevy SSR Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Windshield wipers

I purchased a very low mileage 2003 and my wife want us to take it on a trip in the rain. Before leaving I decided that I should check the wipers given that they were probably 15 years old. Went to the GM dealer to find they no longer make the wipers. They did say that a dealer 20 miles to the east had the left and a different one to the south had the right one. They also told me that I could go to Walmart and get any wiper of the correct length but I would also have to change the wiper arms because of the washer set up. I work with another SSR owner that told me that was not so. I could just get wipers of the correct length no problem. Anyway who is correct? We never went on the trip in the rain.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 05:16 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

Until you manage to get the wipers/arms swapped out, here is a great method that will assist you when it rains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=D05vX-G9iV4

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 06:41 AM
Original SSR Centerfold

My SSR:
04 Redline red #11672 born on 6-22-04 adopted 10-14-04 Pinstriping handpainted by "Shakey"
I went to the local auto part store and bought a set of universal replacement blades. I cut them to length, slipped the old ones out, and slipped in the new ones. Work great and cost less than ten bucks. Did not have to change any wiper arms or touch the washer parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 06:51 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Pac Blue - Born date 12/12/2005
Garage
I replaced mine with Rain X wipers and love them about $20 each. They work much better than any wipers I have used. I like them so much that I replaced wipers on my other vehicles with them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 07:18 AM

My SSR:
06 silver
Ollie a trip in the rain !!! Ssr abuse

YOU CANNOT DO A KINDNESS TOO SOON,BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW HOW SOON IT WILL BE TOO LATE.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 11:41 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
03 Slingshot #2924
Per Mike in Az on 7/08/18:

Trico 46-200 = driver's side
Trico 46-190 = passenger side
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 12:50 AM

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
My issue is similar. My 2004 does not have the original wipers. The rubber wipers themselves are not removable, unless I bend out the retainer clip and crimp them back on the blade holders..The blade holders have some slots that the previous owner wove the washer tubing through and the cleaning fluid simply squirts out onto the windshield. I haven't seen what the originals looked like but am planning to get the Trico's that Mike recommends and if they fit I'll figure out how to get the washer fluid on the glass...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 05:54 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
No SSR, looking for next one;-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie03031 View Post
I purchased a very low mileage 2003 and my wife want us to take it on a trip in the rain. Before leaving I decided that I should check the wipers given that they were probably 15 years old. Went to the GM dealer to find they no longer make the wipers. They did say that a dealer 20 miles to the east had the left and a different one to the south had the right one. They also told me that I could go to Walmart and get any wiper of the correct length but I would also have to change the wiper arms because of the washer set up. I work with another SSR owner that told me that was not so. I could just get wipers of the correct length no problem. Anyway who is correct? We never went on the trip in the rain.
Thanks
Read here, this should help you.
https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/...refills-61738/

If you search the world for happiness, you may find it in the end, for the world is round and will lead you back to your door. ~Robert Brault
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Thanks everyone. A lot of good information in the posts above and in the thread pointed to above but some confusion seems to still be in the answers. From what I am able to determine the 2003/2004 and some 2005ís have a windshield wiper assembly thatís different from the latter 2005 and 2006ís. The 03 and 04 ones are out of stock and not easily replaced unless you update to the 06 arms or some other arms. Their seems to be some differing of opinion on the ability to easily replace the rubber and if the replacement rubber is even available. I guess my only solution is to visit some auto parts stores with the part numbers posted and try it.
Note to the person who accused me of SSR abuse - my wife made me do it.
Thanks
Ollie
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 05:22 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Don't listen to the cowards, SSRs love the rain.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 05:53 PM
Ex SoCal Nut

My SSR:
Striping by Fairfield, Confidence by Mike in AZ
Ollie, the '03-'04/early '05 have the squirter on the "Blade" while the "improved '05-'06 had the squirter on the Arm. For years, I have only bought the "inserts" for the wiper blade.... Just the rubber, Not the whole assembly like they have Now. It is doable if you buy and dis-assemble the "new blades" and take out the rubber. They are 19 and 20 inch and readily available. Just decide how able you are to take them apart. SPOILER *** Be Very Careful NOT to Break the squirter off the Blade Frame as they Cannot be bought, especially if they are Broken. If they come off and you can re attach with double sided tape, you're going to be OK. Done that on mine. The Mrs has the newer design on her '04. Do NOT Change Blades on your '03-04, just change the Rubber. The newer Blades do not have the mounting holes for the squirter, AND at this Age, the tabs on the squirter will most probably break off and you're back to square one... double sticky....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Red Cat's Fan Club

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 06:27 PM

My SSR:
2006 SSR 6 speed FPR Ricochet Silver over Smokin Asphalt 3SS Chrome pkg.
Garage
Here's something I do every couple of years to my vehicles and it works like a charm. I'm assuming here that the blades aren't visibly damaged. Make an aluminum foil tray large and deep enough to accommodate both blades, or perhaps a wall paper tray. Using almost any silicone based cleaner, ie. Armoral, silicon spray lube, I use a product that comes in a gallon jug called Protect All, ( White jug, Blue labeling ), soak the blades immersed in the tray overnight at 60-80 degrees. What you will notice the next day is the rubber will look all wrinkled, don't panic, carefully wipe them down with a shop towel or clean rag. Lay them flat on paper towel for another day and you will notice they have returned to normal looking. Wipe them down again and reinstall. You can also reuse the silicon protectant, just pour it back into it's original container. I started reconditioning my blades because the vehicle I had at the time used very special, very expensive blades, only available at dealerships.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
Bruce, I have taken the R out in the rain and it did not melt like some might think.
Yellow Bear, thanks for the info on the different wiper assemblies - I will be careful when I remove them.
Gr8XLr8r, I am going to try your solution to extend the life of my blades after carefully removing them.
Thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in