LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06 FPR #23615 ______ DOB 02.28.06
Garage
Windshields OEM vs FUYAO

I had the local Safelite bring in a FUYAO windshield so we could compare it to my OEM in the SSR. It appears that the FUYAO is as flat as the PILKINGTON is! This is holding the straight edge flat against the bottom of the windshields.

1) FUYAO

2) Straight edge on FUYAO

3) Straight edge on OEM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	812FABF2-3196-4B9A-8A13-87BCB4C023C5.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	548955   Click image for larger version

Name:	F539B309-0BC3-4A67-9690-E78AC1ABA6E6.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	548957   Click image for larger version

Name:	EDFF79EB-B72A-4B80-BFB1-77D8029AF245.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	548959  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:59 PM
SSR Fanatic

My SSR:
06' Pac Blue #123244 w/Chrome Pkg, Born on date of 12-21-2005... Sadly Sold Pac Blue #121631 in 09'
Garage
Exactly why I got an OEM! It's a shame GM didn't have more produced...:
frown2:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"HUAW" = "Hooah", Its an ARMY Thing! Which can mean nearly anything that is Awesome or Positive!!! Just like a CHEVY SSR!!!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:10 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Apparently members have been successful in altering the trim to work with the aftermarket windshield.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:21 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Chrome in and out, OH SO Orange stripes w/"warp speed" air brushed door accents.
Several years I had the windshield replaced in an '06 Pontiac Vibe after it had acquired 4 stone chips. (I was getting ready to sell the vehicle).

I hadn't noticed the shape of the windshield at first but what I did realize was that the vehicle had a wind noise at higher speeds that it had never had before the replacement.

I've had a tiny, barely noticable stone chip in my SSR windshield that I got when returning home from the TX rally in '09 and I'm going to leave "well-enough alone" unless it someday starts to crack.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 02:58 AM
Lost In The 50's

My SSR:
'03 SSR, '34 Ford 3 Window Coupe
Garage
Cool Fixable

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyGuy View Post
Several years I had the windshield replaced in an '06 Pontiac Vibe after it had acquired 4 stone chips. (I was getting ready to sell the vehicle).

I hadn't noticed the shape of the windshield at first but what I did realize was that the vehicle had a wind noise at higher speeds that it had never had before the replacement.

I've had a tiny, barely noticable stone chip in my SSR windshield that I got when returning home from the TX rally in '09 and I'm going to leave "well-enough alone" unless it someday starts to crack.
I had the same thing on my '03. I had a professional fix it for $40.00 before it cracked. If it starts to crack, it's to late to save. My O.E.M. is still looking good.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:44 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
Have it Fixed!! "Saflite Auto Glass" fixed a chip in my '06 Silverado and '03 SS Monte Carlo -----NO CHARGE !!! like the TV ad says. We couldn't even find the spot after they fixed it !!!

Nick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nick '06 Smokin Asphalt FPR & Kathy '04 Ultra Violet
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:52 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Redline Red Six speed
Garage
Bummer! Mine got a bad crack on the Ogden trip and I was looking forward to an easy install of an OEM copy.
It would be interesting to see the two aftermarket windshields compared to see if the Fuyao mates up better to the window frame.
FYI... While in Ogden, I did stop by Safelite and they gave me the product order info:
Fuyao (FYG) #DW01534 GBY

Brian
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:06 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
Wild Bill's (down in the vendors section) has NOS windshields but they are spendy.
RedlineRyder likes this.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:26 AM

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur, #19971
**** SOLD - 6/5/19 ****

I have a lightly scratched '05 OEM windshield for sale.

I haven't actually seen it as it goes with the '05 that I just bought and will pick up next week.

The downside is that's in Florida.

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f22...r-code-250725/

Let me know if you have any interest.

Kenn Garrison
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:41 AM

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur, 6 speed, 118667
Garage
Has anyone experience with the quality of a PPG windshield?
They usually produce a quality piece. I found troubles locating
one for a PRE 1985 Chevy Van G-20 glass that is rubber installed not urethane
(difference in size)
They were the only company that could come up with it. Price was
in line with Pilkington.
Our R came to us 6 months ago with a Pilkington glass in it. Fits well, looks fine to me. Just sayin.
Auggie Doggie likes this.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:28 PM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
Empty Garage - Previous 03 04 05 owner - on hunt for next one ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROPE View Post
I had the local Safelite bring in a FUYAO windshield so we could compare it to my OEM in the SSR. It appears that the FUYAO is as flat as the PILKINGTON is! This is holding the straight edge flat against the bottom of the windshields.

1) FUYAO

2) Straight edge on FUYAO

3) Straight edge on OEM
The curve is at least a little bit outward, same as the PPG version. Most of discussion of the window curve started with bdmridgeback in this thread https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/...parison-61177/ where he has a flat edge and the Pilkington windshield that was actually super flat or maybe a little inward!!! While I do agree it would be nice to have an OEM window, I think the smaller curvature would be "okay", but I would be concerned abut one that went inward! I wished I had saved his pictures, they were quite dramatic and showed just how poor the curvature was. The owner of the bad window had a bad one out of the batch as I know others have had Pilkington installed and they had the smaller outward curve and not inward. Bottom line is, always inspect the windshield you install on any car BEFORE installation.

On a side note, I called on a local company to fill a chip in the glass of the car I drove out to CA in a few days ago and they quoted $70. I had just replaced the OEM windshield with a new Pilkington for $270 just days prior on the way out to CA, yeah, not a good trip..... Anyway, I purchased a BlueStar do it yourself kit for $8. The kit worked flawlessly and is exactly the same, if not better, than my previous experience with windshield repair companies. Not that all dings are good candidates for a DIY, I just wanted to share that it might be a good alternative for some people. I do agree, have it repaired before it spreads and you are too late!!!!

Okay, after searching a little more I did end up finding those pictures of the OEM vs bad Pilkington
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ssr windshield OEM.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	549013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bad SSR Windshield.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	549015  
ROPE and richsadams like this.

Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 02:04 PM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur'd Vision View Post
Has anyone experience with the quality of a PPG windshield?
They usually produce a quality piece. I found troubles locating
one for a PRE 1985 Chevy Van G-20 glass that is rubber installed not urethane
(difference in size)
They were the only company that could come up with it. Price was
in line with Pilkington.
Our R came to us 6 months ago with a Pilkington glass in it. Fits well, looks fine to me. Just sayin.
on other vehicles with PPG windshields, I have had good luck with them and even have removed used ones and put them into another truck with no issues. The way GM did the old rubber seals was easy to remove and replace even if there was rust or a small gap in the window frame the rubber took care of the difference. I had a friend who was really good with them and he helped me on a several in Chevy trucks before. Never had any leaks with that style installation either.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 02:12 PM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
So dumb question... do the replacement windshields (Pilkington, FUYAO, etc.) fit anything else or did they all just get their molds wrong?

Seems like if they only fit SSRs it would be a no-brainer to make an exact replacement. Curious if anyone's had contact with either company asking about their less-than-perfect product.

In Garris1's thread I mentioned that ours has a small chip that's in the driver's line of sight. It's been professionally repaired, but it's still apparent and a bit annoying. Between that and a few other small chips and a bit of sand blasting I'd like to replace our 14 year old windshield, but I'm super hesitant based on these kinds of stories.

Cheers,

Rich

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 03:13 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
To add to our problem the insurance company is kind of in the drivers seat on this. They sometimes only pay so much and usually tell you where to take it. There was a big discussion about this about 6 months ago and I thought someone in or near Florida figured out which one to get with numbers etc. Might check with Dictator. Good luck.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
'06 FPR #23615 ______ DOB 02.28.06
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
So dumb question... do the replacement windshields (Pilkington, FUYAO, etc.) fit anything else or did they all just get their molds wrong?

Seems like if they only fit SSRs it would be a no-brainer to make an exact replacement. Curious if anyone's had contact with either company asking about their less-than-perfect product.

In Garris1's thread I mentioned that ours has a small chip that's in the driver's line of sight. It's been professionally repaired, but it's still apparent and a bit annoying. Between that and a few other small chips and a bit of sand blasting I'd like to replace our 14 year old windshield, but I'm super hesitant based on these kinds of stories.
I know that both Mike in AZ and I have had a discussion with Pilkington while at SEMA the last three years to no avail. They are located in the Phoenix area and Mike has been trying to work with them however they donít seem to want to communicate with him.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 03:32 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Used the search button on top of this page and found a lengthy discussion on different windshields and different companies dated June 2016. Folks involved were
Mike in AZ Arizona
Dicktator Florida
Shadowman Florida
S2NAZ Arizona

Might try to send them a Private Message and see how they finally resolved the issue. Happy hunting.
RedlineRyder and richsadams like this.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 03:47 PM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie Doggie View Post
To add to our problem the insurance company is kind of in the drivers seat on this. They sometimes only pay so much and usually tell you where to take it. There was a big discussion about this about 6 months ago and I thought someone in or near Florida figured out which one to get with numbers etc. Might check with Dictator. Good luck.
Well, that's aggravating. I don't know if it's a state-to-state thing, but here insurance companies are legally prohibited from telling people where to have their cars repaired.

We have full glass coverage so no deductible, but even with that I'm not ready to try replacing our windshield until I have to.

Quote:
I know that both Mike in AZ and I have had a discussion with Pilkington while at SEMA the last three years to no avail. They are located in the Phoenix area and Mike has been trying to work with them however they donít seem to want to communicate with him.
Good to know, although it's probably such a low volume, low priority part they have little incentive to go back to the drawing board.

Cheers,

Rich

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 05:03 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Silver on Black TVS2300 supercharged FPR 6 speed 4:10 #23387
Garage
We just replaced the windshield on or 2007 Caddy SRX. I had requested a GM windshield, but their parts manager said the only thing he could get was a Fuyao.

The Caddy has a fairly flat windshield, so it looks OK. After reading this, I think I'll get the car wet and see how well the wipers sweep across.

Sure am glad I bought an original with the SSR logo about 10 years ago. The current windshield has a few minor blemishes on it, but sure as heck, if I replace it, I'll break the new one within a week.

We've never resolved how the insurance company will deal with paying me for supplying my own replacement.

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

00567 Slingshot May 04 - March 06
Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09
24092 Pac Blue Nov 07 - Oct 08
Sig #12 Aug 2008 - Aug 2010

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 06:06 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
I know that both Mike in AZ and I have had a discussion with Pilkington while at SEMA the last three years to no avail. They are located in the Phoenix area and Mike has been trying to work with them however they don’t seem to want to communicate with him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Good to know, although it's probably such a low volume, low priority part they have little incentive to go back to the drawing board.
Obviously they were not listening when Mike tried, an assumption on my part, to tell them how many of us are sitting out here with chipped windshields, waiting for them to get it right so we can flood them with orders.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 07:05 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flassh View Post
Sure am glad I bought an original with the SSR logo about 10 years ago. The current windshield has a few minor blemishes on it, but sure as heck, if I replace it, I'll break the new one within a week.
Bingo, I'm in the same situation. I've had one chip repaired and quite a bit of high speed sandblasting, but I'm sure if I install(have installed) my NOS windshield it get broken in no time.

Then again, I read about a guy that paid tens of thousands of dollars for a NOS Ferrari windshield and no installer would touch it saying glass gets brittle over time.

post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:06 PM

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur, #19971
**** SOLD - 6/5/19 ****

Kenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garris1 View Post
I have a lightly scratched '05 OEM windshield for sale.

I haven't actually seen it as it goes with the '05 that I just bought and will pick up next week.

The downside is that's in Florida.

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f22...r-code-250725/

Let me know if you have any interest.

Kenn Garrison
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:47 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlhotrod View Post
on other vehicles with PPG windshields, I have had good luck with them and even have removed used ones and put them into another truck with no issues. The way GM did the old rubber seals was easy to remove and replace even if there was rust or a small gap in the window frame the rubber took care of the difference. I had a friend who was really good with them and he helped me on a several in Chevy trucks before. Never had any leaks with that style installation either.
PPG spun off the auto glass business and its now PWG.
PWG does not have SSR replacement glass.
Pilkington no longer makes SSR glass and FUYAO is now the only source and according to our local Safelight they have to search the US to find them they are scarce. I have an appointment for next Tues to get mine replaced, if they can find one. Pretty soon our only option will be used glass.
Greg
RedlineRyder likes this.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:36 AM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbaehr View Post
Pilkington no longer makes SSR glass and FUYAO is now the only source and according to our local Safelight they have to search the US to find them they are scarce. I have an appointment for next Tues to get mine replaced, if they can find one. Pretty soon our only option will be used glass.
Greg
I think I mentioned somewhere that our R has a chip just below the driver's viewpoint. It's been professionally repaired, but it still catches my eye and people have even commented on it, so it's pretty annoying. Makes me think I ought to go ahead and get ours replaced now since used ones are like hen's teeth.

After reading a few posts I didn't realize that the original windshields had "SSR" in or on them. If that's the case, our new-to-us R has already had its windshield replaced at least once. It has the "AS1" symbol on it, but that's it.

Our auto insurance includes full glass coverage so it wouldn't be too painful (as long as they don't drop us) but I didn't want to risk a bad windshield experience. May have to rethink that now.

Cheers,

Rich

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:44 AM
SSR Enthusiast
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'04 Ricochet Silver #10111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbaehr View Post
Greg
I can attest to the scarcity of SSR glass at Safelite. They had to search Florida for my replacement and luckily happened to locate one. Glass is flat as a board but there are no other options at this point.
richsadams likes this.

Brian

post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 11:16 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
Had Safelite replace mine today at the house.
OEM was not cracked but, A previous owner must have turned the wipers on dry with Sand on the glass.
I removed the pillar and cowl trim before the tech arrived. Took him less than an hour to replace and did a great job. The new glass came with the correct top rubber seal, antenna button and mirror mount installed.
Yes, the FUYAO glass is flatter in the center but not as bad as I expected. I laid my cowl cover upside down on the bench and heated it with a heat gun to flatten it. After a few fittings it fits and seals tight.
Sure is nice looking through clear glass again.
I saved the OEM windshield. I ordered some cerium oxide and will try to polish out the haze. I tried some retail glass polish before but did little to improve it. If I can salvage it I'll have a usable spare.
RedlineRyder, Bee75 and richsadams like this.

post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:38 AM
Lost In The 50's

My SSR:
'03 SSR, '34 Ford 3 Window Coupe
Garage
OEM can be fixed.

Have a mobile professional restoration glass shop come to the house and have the OEM restored back to like new with their process. I had my '06 Ford P/Up done and it looks just like new. Cost $125.00. While he was there he fixed a small rock chip on my '03 SSR.

I tried different kits available and home remedies to fix mine. They didn't work!!!!

Super Glass Windshield Repair is a franchise all over USA. Do a search and you will find one near to you.

Here's the link: https://superglass.com/

Enjoy your ride.....
RedlineRyder and richsadams like this.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:21 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet34 View Post
Have a mobile professional restoration glass shop come to the house and have the OEM restored back to like new with their process. I had my '06 Ford P/Up done and it looks just like new. Cost $125.00. While he was there he fixed a small rock chip on my '03 SSR.

I tried different kits available and home remedies to fix mine. They didn't work!!!!

Super Glass Windshield Repair is a franchise all over USA. Do a search and you will find one near to you.

Here's the link: https://superglass.com/

Enjoy your ride.....
Found a place in North Houston a few years ago after I go the SSR that wanted $225 and would not guarantee the results.
For another $100 I could have a new windshield so I put it off as long as I could. I'll take a crack at it myself now...nothing to lose at this point. If I get it reasonably restored then I have an Unobtainuim OEM spare Windshield.
Greg
RedlineRyder likes this.

post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:38 AM
Trygodfirst
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Let us know how the cerium oxide works for you
Thank u sir
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > SSR Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in