6 Speed PCM Removal - Chevy SSR Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

My SSR:
06 6spd Smokin' Asphalt
6 Speed PCM Removal

I took some pictures of my PCM removal experience and figured they'd make a decent "how to" for the library.

Note - Always disconnect the battery prior to removing the PCM.

Step 1 - Locate the PCM

The PCM is located beneath a black plastic cover directly behind the driver's side radiator hose connection.

Figure 1

The cover is held in place with two "thumb rivets" marked with green arrows. These are the two small plastic discs at the top and bottom of the cover and slightly diagonal of each other. To remove, pry the center disc up with a screwdriver (or your fingernails iffin' they're strong enough).

This is what they look like removed.

Figure 2

The PCM is now partially exposed. You can see the connecting cables (green arrows) coming in from the right (with the red zip-tie looking thingys). The unit is held firm via two bracket snaps. Only one is visible in this pic (within the yellow square). The other is obscured by the radiator hose.

Figure 3

Here is a close-up view:

Figure 4

Step 2 - Detach the unit

With one hand, lift one of the anchor brackets (boxed in yellow) while moving the unit itself toward the wheelwell. Once you've gotten the first one free, repeat with the second.

Figure 3 (re-shown from above)

Step 3 - Access the Cable Jacks

The unit is snug in its position and there is little play in the cables. I loosened the entire bracket assembly to get some extra wiggle room. The bolt securing the assembly is boxed in white (see Figure 3). I pulled the unit up out of the assembly so that the entire unit was above the radiator hose.

Figure 5

Step 4 - Disconnecting the Cables

Unfasten the red zip-ties by squeezing the sides of the attached end and pulling toward the unit. These ties keep the cables from becoming disconnected inadvertently.

Figure 6

Next, pull the gray plastic crossbar toward the unit. This will pull the tines out of their moorings and disconnect the cable. It requires a bit of effort and some wiggling of the jack to fully disconnect. Do this on all three jacks. They are colorcoded so you will have no trouble reconnecting them correctly.

Figure 7

Step 5 - Inspecting the PCM

Once you have disconnected your jacks you get to check out your PCM. I was quite struck by its resemblence to a computer hard drive.

Figure 8

To replace the unit, just reverse the steps.

Enjoy,

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Chevy SSR Forum > The Library > Articles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in