SSR Tires - Page 2 - Chevy SSR Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 115 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor Supporting Member

Thanks for your review and support Oldsailor, I am glad we were able to help you out.

Low Prices! More Choices! FREE Shipping!
At The Store:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To Your Door:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 12:20 AM

You would think that since there were close to five thousand SSR's manufactured and did not come with a spare tire, but does have an AIR PUMP you would be able to convince someone to make a 19" space saver spare just for this application.

Should be gobbled up.

Jumpout572
post #33 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 01:14 AM

I'm planning on driving from Wash, DC to San Diego and then north on the Pacific Coast highway, really want to take a spare, just in case.

Wheel Warehouse Inc has used SSR wheels in the 300-400 range,ph# 800-941-6400, can take the wheel to Discount Tire to wrap it up. GM Dealer tells me one wheel is $1K new. f y i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

If you have a store in your area, see if they can locate you one. I don't know if they can or not, sometimes they have local connections for things like that. Its worth a shot.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

post #35 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 09:29 PM

My SSR:
04Redline brn.5/11/04 adptd. 1/9/08 #109842 1sb cpt swhls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discount Tire View Post
If you have a store in your area, see if they can locate you one. I don't know if they can or not, sometimes they have local connections for things like that. Its worth a shot.
Can you tell me what is the "Projected" opening date for the new store in Warner Robins, Ga.? Might I say, that they have done a great job of transforming the old REX Electronic/Appliance bldg. EDIMGIAFAD
post #36 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

I spoke with the Georgia Regional office they project it to be open in the next two weeks. There will be an announcement printed in the AJC for their Grand Opening.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

post #37 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 03:27 PM

why would you state there were only 5000 SSR's manufactured? . . .the total production in North America (2003-2006) was 24,180.
post #38 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 07:15 AM

Bad information
post #39 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpout572 View Post
Bad information
I assume you are talking about the 5,000 number in your first post and not the tire information in this thread correct?

At The Store:

To Your Door:

post #40 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 09:08 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 4spd, #19282, Addco Sways, WindSuppressr, 4.56 club and more Mike parts than I can count
Question

Quote:
Our stores can order the Toyo brand for you. We don't mail order them so I don't have much information on them. What sizes and what tread are you running?
Looking for the Proxess S/T, which are about to be replaced. Local DT shop way overpricing because of "rarity" I suppose and won't price match. Looking for 275/45 R19. Any help?

Appreciate it and thx.

Doug

I'm not too quick......but my truck is
post #41 of 115 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerRed View Post
Looking for the Proxess S/T, which are about to be replaced. Local DT shop way overpricing because of "rarity" I suppose and won't price match. Looking for 275/45 R19. Any help?

Appreciate it and thx.
I wish I could, we don't mail order the Toyo brand. We would be happy to help you with an alternative if you are interested.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

post #42 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 09:44 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Smokin Asphalt S/N 06166
Send a message via AIM to popsssr
Do you have a place in Mufureesboro, TN?
I am in the market for a set of "run flats" for our 04 SSR.
We live in Manchester, TN...

Rear view mirror---a tool for looking at the past!
post #43 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsssr View Post
Do you have a place in Mufureesboro, TN?
I am in the market for a set of "run flats" for our 04 SSR.
We live in Manchester, TN...
Sure do. Here's a link to the stores in your area.

Discount Tire/America's Tire Stores Search Results

Thank you for your interest.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

post #44 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 08:48 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
'05 4spd, #19282, Addco Sways, WindSuppressr, 4.56 club and more Mike parts than I can count
Other sizes

Quote:
I wish I could, we don't mail order the Toyo brand. We would be happy to help you with an alternative if you are interested.
OK, can you get sizes not listed on the site for General UHP's?

Doug

post #45 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 08:09 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Aqua Blur #15813
SSR Tires

The 09 Corvette ZR1 is coming out with Michelin Run Flat Tires and I wonder if they will be making sizes that will work on the SSR's.
The tire sizes will be: front 285/30ZR19, rear 335/25ZR19.
I have sent Michelin an e-mail to see if they will be manufacturing any other sizes. Will post when I receive reply.
Bob
post #46 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
OK, can you get sizes not listed on the site for General UHP's?
As long as General has them in stock, we should be able to order them in for you. What are size are you looking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSTPAPA View Post
The 09 Corvette ZR1 is coming out with Michelin Run Flat Tires and I wonder if they will be making sizes that will work on the SSR's.
I have sent Michelin an e-mail to see if they will be manufacturing any other sizes. Will post when I receive reply.
Bob
Nice work, yes please post what you hear back.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

post #47 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Copacetic Kris

My SSR:
05 6/6 Aqua Blurr BOD 2/2/05 Eric's Hood scoop, CO6 clutch,dyno, Lonnie 59 taillamps, MikeAZ exhaust
Garage
SSR Tires

Do you carry the Toyo Proxy's anymore?

"Life is tough. Life is tougher when your stupid"
John Wayne
post #48 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacetic Kris View Post
Do you carry the Toyo Proxy's anymore?
Our stores can order them in for you. We do not mail order the Toyo Brand.
-Travis

At The Store:

To Your Door:

post #49 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
VIN No. 24061
Quote:
3800 miles and a blowout, bummer. I hate hearing about blowouts. I take it your ok and nothing major happend, thank goodness.

wow_fcrt is correct they will be hard to find in a size that will work for you. Run flats are great if you don't have a spare and you get a flat. You should be able to drive them on them a short distance to get you to a tire shop. There are a lot of misconceptions about them though. Yes you can drive on them when they are flat but not for very long and they are usually pretty pricey. They almost always still have to be replaced after they have been driven on flat. Run flats can however decrease chances and the severity of a blowout.

The fact is, a blowout can happen at any time for a number of reasons. The best thing to do it try to avoid them and follow your tire manufactures safety recommendations and warnings. Always maintain proper air pressure and have your car properly aligned. Make sure your tires are proper load rated for your vehicle and do not exceed the speed rated limit of your tires. See your tire manufactures web site for more specific safety details.

Another option for you, if you are unable to find a run flat that will work for you is to look at extra loaded tires. They have reinforced side walls and can also decrease your chance for a blowout.
I just wish I could find out what the correct tire pressure should be for my original OEM tires which now have about 6,050 miles. The door sticker recommended pressure is 30 PSI, however, I've seen numerous posts recommending higher pressures to improve tire life while also providing a side benefit of improving gas milege.
post #50 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC5 in CT View Post
I just wish I could find out what the correct tire pressure should be for my original OEM tires which now have about 6,050 miles. The door sticker recommended pressure is 30 PSI, however, I've seen numerous posts recommending higher pressures to improve tire life while also providing a side benefit of improving gas milege.
We always suggest sticking with your vehicle manufacture recommendations when running the original equipment. But ultimately the best pressure to maintain is a pressure that allows the tires tread to wear evenly. If you want to double check that the pressure stated in the door Jam is correct, give the tire manufacture a call they will tell you the pressures recommended. You can then adjust your pressure from there +/- lb to make sure tires are wearing evenly.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

post #51 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 07:55 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Location: About as far East as you can go before you hit salt water.

Send a message via AIM to CQQL_SSR
I purchase a set of 20" wheels from another Fanatic.
He was running the Toyo Proxies S/T which are not being made anymore.
He kept the tires for his new wheels.
He was running 255/40-20 on the front and 315/35-20 on the rear.
The front tire size is the same diameter as the stock tire.
The rear is 1/4" smaller diameter than the stock tire.
What tire would you recommend in these sizes?
post #52 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 10:04 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
As long as General has them in stock, we should be able to order them in for you. What are size are you looking for?

General Grabber UHP 275/45R19

Doug

post #53 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQQL_SSR View Post
I purchase a set of 20" wheels from another Fanatic.
He was running the Toyo Proxies S/T which are not being made anymore.
He kept the tires for his new wheels.
He was running 255/40-20 on the front and 315/35-20 on the rear.
The front tire size is the same diameter as the stock tire.
The rear is 1/4" smaller diameter than the stock tire.
What tire would you recommend in these sizes?
I don't show any brands making both sizes at this time.

Quote:
General Grabber UHP 275/45R19
I have put in a quote request for you. I will let you know what I hear back. Thank you for your patience. I will PM you when I hear back.

-Travis

At The Store:

To Your Door:

post #54 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 09:14 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2006 red FPR w/ chrome...Wildthing
Akron is home to Goodyear and a fairly large metro area. Why is there no Discount stores near here? One in Dayton and one in Columbus. Those stores are two hours away. Any reason for no stores here or in Cleveland? I am asking as I was looking online for a store here and nada. Thanks.
post #55 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 09:32 PM

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur #18114 born on 11/18/04
Sorry to be a downer, but here 'tis. I ruined a tire 10 days ago - went to my local Discount store, where I had purchased the Pirelli Scorpion NetZeros I was running. I had excellent service from this franchise location 2 years ago. The Pirellis were available, but had to be ordered and were nearly $200 more than I paid 2 years ago. Asked for Proxes ST. Only the rears were available. The ST2's might be available, but a call would have to be made on the following Monday (holiday) and I would be called back. Cost would be over $1300 if they could get them.

I even went so far as to ask what wheels they could get that would fit the SSR, thinking I would be willing to change wheels and tire sizes, just to get back on the road. Customer service "dude" found 2 wheel types he thought would fit, couldn't quote a price or delivery date.

Being somewhat frustrated, I went to the local Goodyear store, and asked for OEM's, expecting to hear they weren't available. The manager said, we can get them, but it's going to take an hour to get them delivered to the shop.... OEM's, mounted balanced, road hazard, and a front end alignment, out the door for $140+ less than quoted for Proxes, and my SSR hasn't been sitting undrivable for the last 10 days. Unfortunately, with the alignment it took nearly 2 hours.

Sorry, Discount, but you dropped the ball on this one. You'll have to work at it to get my business again.

I'm still waiting on the call back for the Toyos and/or wheels.

post #56 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecat View Post
Akron is home to Goodyear and a fairly large metro area. Why is there no Discount stores near here? One in Dayton and one in Columbus. Those stores are two hours away. Any reason for no stores here or in Cleveland? I am asking as I was looking online for a store here and nada. Thanks.
My guess is we probably just haven't made it there yet. This year we opened over 60 new stores. Next year we will probably won't open that many but I am sure we will still be expanding our store locations. Akron could be next for all I know. If I hear of any new stores going in there I will let you know. Thanks for the comments. In the mean time we can send you tires to your door and you can take them to your favorite installer. We can also recommend one if you would like. Our mail order website is Home - Discount Tire Direct. We guarantee the lowest price delivered on the web.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLBSSRD View Post
Sorry to be a downer, but here 'tis. I ruined a tire 10 days ago - went to my local Discount store, where I had purchased the Pirelli Scorpion NetZeros I was running. I had excellent service from this franchise location 2 years ago. The Pirellis were available, but had to be ordered and were nearly $200 more than I paid 2 years ago. Asked for Proxes ST. Only the rears were available. The ST2's might be available, but a call would have to be made on the following Monday (holiday) and I would be called back. Cost would be over $1300 if they could get them.

I even went so far as to ask what wheels they could get that would fit the SSR, thinking I would be willing to change wheels and tire sizes, just to get back on the road. Customer service "dude" found 2 wheel types he thought would fit, couldn't quote a price or delivery date.

Being somewhat frustrated, I went to the local Goodyear store, and asked for OEM's, expecting to hear they weren't available. The manager said, we can get them, but it's going to take an hour to get them delivered to the shop.... OEM's, mounted balanced, road hazard, and a front end alignment, out the door for $140+ less than quoted for Proxes, and my SSR hasn't been sitting undrivable for the last 10 days. Unfortunately, with the alignment it took nearly 2 hours.

Sorry, Discount, but you dropped the ball on this one. You'll have to work at it to get my business again.

I'm still waiting on the call back for the Toyos and/or wheels.

Sorry to hear that. We would love to earn your business again in the future. Did you get a quote from our store for the OEM's? We don't do alignments so I wouldn't be able to help you with that one but I know our goodyear prices are just as good and most of the time better than the prices you pay in the goodyear store. We hope to earn your business again in the future. I did a quick check on wheels built by the brands we carry and there isn't much out there. It would take some searching for sure depending on the style you were looking for. Let me know what you hear back from them and if you see something built by a brand that we don't carry let us know, we will do our best to get you the best delivered price.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

post #57 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 03:04 PM

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur #18114 born on 11/18/04
Quote:
Let me know what you hear back from them and if you see something built by a brand that we don't carry let us know, we will do our best to get you the best delivered price.
Thank you. In fairness, this is the first really negative experience I have had with Discount. We've bought multiple sets of tires for 2 SSRs, and 3 Vettes before the Rs. However, since it's now more than 10 days when they promised to let me know what tires were available, I doubt I'll hear anything back. Seems to me if the local franchise wanted my business, they would make the call and not leave me hanging. I won't eliminate Discount from future wheel and tire shopping, but I certainly won't beg this franchise to take my money.

post #58 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLBSSRD View Post
Thank you. In fairness, this is the first really negative experience I have had with Discount. We've bought multiple sets of tires for 2 SSRs, and 3 Vettes before the Rs. However, since it's now more than 10 days when they promised to let me know what tires were available, I doubt I'll hear anything back. Seems to me if the local franchise wanted my business, they would make the call and not leave me hanging. I won't eliminate Discount from future wheel and tire shopping, but I certainly won't beg this franchise to take my money.

PM me the location and if you remember who you spoke with please include that as well. I would like to pass your comments on to them so that we can better serve you and the next customer that walks through the door. I appologize for our lack of attention but I appreciate you sharing. We pride our selves in our customer service so it never goes over well when we fall short. Thank you in advance for the information.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

post #59 of 115 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 06:44 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2006 red FPR w/ chrome...Wildthing
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSTPAPA View Post
Bob

I was looking aound this morning on your site and found these Goodyear run-flats in the SSR size for the rears. Will these work or am I missing something?
Tire Details - Discount Tire Co.

The years teach much which the days never knew.
post #60 of 115 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecat View Post
I was looking aound this morning on your site and found these Goodyear run-flats in the SSR size for the rears. Will these work or am I missing something?
Tire Details - Discount Tire Co.

The issue with the Goodyear Eagle GS-D EMT is the load index. The SSR calls for a 106(2094pds) in the rear and the GS-D EMT is only a 101(1819pds).

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > Vendors > Discount Tire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in