39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 redline auto 23k
Garage
One my first road trip, heading to Cincinnati with these new rears. First thing I noticed when on the Interstate, it felt like a low tire or wind blowing sideways. Pressure was set at 35. Contacted my tech support in Springfield ( Oldfatguy). He suggested raising pressure. Up it to 40. Not much difference. Noticed ride a little harder which is understandable. Lower to 38. Ride is smooth but am feeling this little side sway. Any one have this experience when going to a wider lower profile tire. My tech support gave me all parameters for the Nitto Motivo. Thanks, Robert
Jersey red likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:32 PM
BAD BOW TIE
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Tires mix matched front and back some times do that. They have different sidewall squirm and flex. Had a Camaro many years ago and no money. Had nylon/ polyester tires on the front and got some used radials from a guy and put them on the back. Wow what a wild ride that was. All over the road until I got 2 more radials. Fixed the problem. Might be something similar you are experiencing. Good luck.
Jersey red likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 redline auto 23k
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie Doggie View Post
Tires mix matched front and back some times do that. They have different sidewall squirm and flex. Had a Camaro many years ago and no money. Had nylon/ polyester tires on the front and got some used radials from a guy and put them on the back. Wow what a wild ride that was. All over the road until I got 2 more radials. Fixed the problem. Might be something similar you are experiencing. Good luck.
Come on Auggie, polyester tires. You're showing your age. See you Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:21 PM
My First Permagrin !

My SSR:
05 #18193 chrome wheels ,carpet kit , boards , gauge pack , sc tuner and a ton of mikes stuff
Garage
Hi Robert I went with new continental DWS06 all around and didn’t have any problem like that .I did have to adjust the air pressure a few times on my trip started at 34 then raised it to 37 . I had a lot of weight in the bed . Maybe it’s the different tread / tire combo , like @Auggie Doggie said . Good luck , Dave
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:31 PM

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
I know you checked the lug nuts to be sure they are tight, 110 Ft. Lbs. I think.

Nick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nick '06 Smokin Asphalt FPR & Kathy '04 Ultra Violet
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:02 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Silver on Black TVS2300 supercharged FPR 6 speed 4:10 #23387
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj6969 View Post
I know you checked the lug nuts to be sure they are tight, 110 In. Lbs. I think.

Nick
Make that foot pounds. I'm putting my wheels back on this weekend. 110 ft lbs sounds right. I always have to check. Either the Caddy SRX or the SSR is at 100 ft lbs, but I can never remember which is which.

Mismatched tire sets with different sidewall flex will cause problems. The only other thing to check is to make sure your panhard bar is OK. It it's loose or broken, you will definitely have major swaying.

I have 315s on mine, and have never felt like it's loose on the highway.

I run mine at 30 lbs. front and rear.
nj6969 likes this.

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

00567 Slingshot May 04 - March 06
Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09
24092 Pac Blue Nov 07 - Oct 08
Sig #12 Aug 2008 - Aug 2010

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:28 PM
Perfectionist
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 REDLINE, lowered frnt an rear, tucked an lowered boards by me, chrome package, chrom wheels
Robert, I do believe if you raise the pressure to 40-42 psi and try to just focus on the wollowing, not the harsh ride, it will be somewhat better. At least until after your trip and you can sort things out. Max on that tire is 50psi.

You come in, in diapers. And you go out in diapers.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:18 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Wow, In two successive posts, I see one that suggests 30PSI and the other talking about maybe 38-40 PSI.

Come on............

I would suggest one of those is LOW and the other is too HIGH. While as I recall, the door decal calls for 30 PSI frt/rear......many have had better results and handling by bumping that up by 5-6 PSI. Right now, I'm trying out 35 PSI.

As to any "wandering", I'm thinking back to a bad handling Vette I owned with those lousy "run flats" on it. Those tires were indeed part of the problem, but it turned out that rear tie rod ends were shot and fixing those made a big difference.

If in fact you're running four tires that (match) in terms of type/tread, I would look to other factors. You were either in a severe (cross wind) scenario and did not realize it as a factor or you have (non-tire and/or pressure) related problems and should focus on suspension parts.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:30 PM
Ms Donna's Driver
Supporting Member

Location: beside the tracks of the "Wabash Cannonball" along the banks of the "Wabash River" Indiana

My SSR:
'04 Ricochet Silver and then along came. SINISTER
Will talk to you in a little while but my Colorado squirmed a little coming over here. I think it was the wind and spotty rain.

EVERY MILE IS MAGIC

I used to be indecisive
But now I'm just not sure
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 05:06 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by moscooter View Post

Wow, In two successive posts, I see one that suggests 30PSI and the other talking about maybe 38-40 PSI.

Come on............

I would suggest one of those is LOW and the other is too HIGH. While as I recall, the door decal calls for 30 PSI frt/rear......many have had better results and handling by bumping that up by 5-6 PSI. Right now, I'm trying out 35 PSI.

As to any "wandering", I'm thinking back to a bad handling Vette I owned with those lousy "run flats" on it. Those tires were indeed part of the problem, but it turned out that rear tie rod ends were shot and fixing those made a big difference.

If in fact you're running four tires that (match) in terms of type/tread, I would look to other factors. You were either in a severe (cross wind) scenario and did not realize it as a factor or you have (non-tire and/or pressure) related problems and should focus on suspension parts.
The problem with that line of thinking is it drove fine until the tire swap so I would start there.
SWT RYD and shakatak like this.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:01 PM
Perfectionist
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 REDLINE, lowered frnt an rear, tucked an lowered boards by me, chrome package, chrom wheels
Quote:

Come on............

Mo, His tires do not match. He just put these nittos on the rear, and still has goodyears on the front. This is probably where the whole problem stems from. Different carcass/sidewall construction. He says the rear end washes around now with this setup. More psi will stiffen the sidewalls and should help with the sway. But there is always a tradeoff. But hopefully this will feel more stable until he can get home and figure out his next move. Maybe get a matching set of front tires? As far as a bushing or suspension part, could be, but the truck drove fine with the matching goodyears on the back. I run my goodyears at 32psi all the way around. I am not sure flassh was suggesting he run his at 30psi just stating what he runs and works for him. D
TXNSSR likes this.

You come in, in diapers. And you go out in diapers.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:16 PM

My SSR:
2005 red six-speed
Put 315/35-20 Toyo Proxes 4Plus on the back with original Goodyears still on the front,
all at 32 psi. Straight as an arrow at 60-70mph, have not been on the Interstate yet and
nothing is in the bed???
tuckerred1948
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 redline auto 23k
Garage
Quote:
[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/images/smilies/banghead.gif[/IMG]

Come on............[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_plain.png[/IMG]

I KNOW my truck. I KNOW it drove perfect before I replaced the rear G/Y's because they were wore out. I KNOW the parts on rear are good and tight. I KNOW the lugs are torqued to 110. I KNOW as soon as I got on the Interstate there was a wondering feeling. I KNOW it's to da__ cold up here in Cincinnati to get in out testing air pressure, so it will wait till I get back TN. So MO is there anything else you want to KNOW. And having probably 3 million + miles under my butt I KNOW when the wind is blowing.
ggoat!!! likes this.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:50 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2006 Ricochet Silver
Fronts: 275/40ZR19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Rears: 315/35ZR20 Michelin Pilot Super Sport

The fronts are taller and 1” wider than stock. They fill the wheel wells and look better IMO. The rears are significantly wider, as you know.

I run 35-37 lbs. Other than occasional trough wander from wide tires on some older worn asphalt roads, no issue. Pretty high winds today, zero issues rolling down the beltway.

I agree with OFG, I’d bet difference in tire sidewall stiffness, and grip(?), not air pressure. Most of us, self included, don’t put enough miles on their trucks to worry about wearing out the middle of the tires quicker with a couple extra lbs.

FWIW: I drive in the wet in Houston. I’ve had 3 vehicles with RSAs, and not a fan of them in the wet. I changed them out when it made sense (i.e. tread wear or badly checked with age). I’ve got two vehicles on wider Michelins, one and one on Continentals. The Continentals, surprised me and I really like them. If RSAs work for you (whoever reads this), that is cool.

- Robert
Curbsssr, RedlineRyder and SWT RYD like this.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:31 PM
BLU SSR

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Hey Robert, Just sitting here thinking about your tire problem, don't have any quick cures, but a couple guesses. It's either the tires themselves-this would be my first guess-in which case I would take them back when you get home, or a tracking problem. Since these are wider than the tires they replaced, is it possible that they are constantly trying to "climb" the walls of the troughs on the road surface, first one side then the other. They would be sticking out just enough past the track of the front tires to cause a little wallow on a worn road surface(this would be more noticeable on a asphalt surface that concrete). Don't know if that's it - just a thought - no charge!
RedlineRyder and SWT RYD like this.
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 redline auto 23k
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSReplay View Post
Hey Robert, Just sitting here thinking about your tire problem, don't have any quick cures, but a couple guesses. It's either the tires themselves-this would be my first guess-in which case I would take them back when you get home, or a tracking problem. Since these are wider than the tires they replaced, is it possible that they are constantly trying to "climb" the walls of the troughs on the road surface, first one side then the other. They would be sticking out just enough past the track of the front tires to cause a little wallow on a worn road surface(this would be more noticeable on a asphalt surface that concrete). Don't know if that's it - just a thought - no charge![IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_glasses.png[/IMG]
Jim my same thoughts. I believe that the movement wasn't as noticable on concrete as blacktop. Will do some more research when I get back. Dam_ it's cold up here. @ Firetruck invites us up here than turns down the thermostat. Had a real good meal, Doris wasn't impressed with liquor selection. No BUSHWACKERS. See you in a couple.
Autoprof and SSReplay like this.
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:40 AM

My SSR:
2006 Blue over Primer'd Bondo FPR 6spd #23424 slapped together 2/22/06
I know what you are talking about. Years ago on my '99 30th Anniversary Trans Am it came with Good Year Eagle F1 GS tires, 275mm width all around. Those tires grabbed the pavement so hard you could let go of the wheel and it was as if a ghost was pulling the wheel left and right but staying in the lane. The tires would grab any lines in the pavement and just yank you around. It was the strangest feeling. The worst part was when you stopped hard...it felt like you would lose control. The grabbing intensified and nothing you could do would hold the wheel straight. Tire pressures didn't help it. I even took it back under warranty...it was normal behavior for that tire. When I changed to another tire the car never did it again.

BTW...I have Atturos on my truck, 275 in front and 315 in the rear. It has never exhibited anything like what is described above, even with those wide 275 front tires.
Flying Dog likes this.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:35 AM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 6 sp. with 4.56 gears, ZR1 clutch, Edelbrock intake, Lunati cam, Crane rockers, C6 modified pan
Quote:
I know you checked the lug nuts to be sure they are tight, 110 Ft. Lbs. I think.

Nick
Correct torque is 100 lb. ft.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough."

Sir Henry Royce, of Rolls-Royce
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:55 AM

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
Quote:

Nick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin View Post
Correct torque is 100 lb. ft.
I was going by Dicktator Alignment spec in Library: I realize it says "MAXIUM". I don't normally torque wheels but--SSR isn't exactly normal, so-- Alignment Specs.

(CHANGE TOE TO ZERO (0) Change Camber to 0 and change Toe to 0 to eliminate inner scuffing.

Wheel lug nut torque 110 lbs MAXIMUM.

Ha! I'm old enough it's still ft/in lbs instead of other way around. lb ft/in

Nick '06 Smokin Asphalt FPR & Kathy '04 Ultra Violet
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:05 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Redline #9973
Robert
Great to see you again.
I forgot to look at your tires while in the parking lot this afternoon. Looking a pictures on the web it appears that these tires are asymmetrical not directional. Although its not real noticable. Look carefully at how they are mounted. They may have one inside out.
Just something to check somewhat easily that nobody has mentioned. Even though it may not say this side out on sidewall, compare the two rears.

Hope you stayed realativly warmed and enjoyed your visit.
Curbsssr and SWT RYD like this.
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:01 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 Redline Red FPR
On my second set of 315s... Bridgestone Duelers and Michelin Pilot Super Sports

I have always ran 33 psi in them, never an issue.

Larry

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 redline auto 23k
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoprof View Post
Robert
Great to see you again.
I forgot to look at your tires while in the parking lot this afternoon. Looking a pictures on the web it appears that these tires are asymmetrical not directional. Although its not real noticable. Look carefully at how they are mounted. They may have one inside out.
Just something to check somewhat easily that nobody has mentioned. Even though it may not say this side out on sidewall, compare the two rears.

Hope you stayed realativly warmed and enjoyed your visit.
Tires mounted correctly. Driving home on dry roads, found this feeling is only on certain roads. Dropped pressure and rides smooth. I know people are going to say that never happened to me. Well so be it. It is happening to me. Subject closed. Thanks for all your input.
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:15 PM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
Swt Ryd I have had issues before on highways with other vehicles, it seemed to be more on concrete highways and also I found that switching from the right lane to the left lane made a difference when I had it happen.
SWT RYD likes this.
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:15 PM
Ms Donna's Driver
Supporting Member

Location: beside the tracks of the "Wabash Cannonball" along the banks of the "Wabash River" Indiana

My SSR:
'04 Ricochet Silver and then along came. SINISTER
Must be the wear tracks from the heavy semi trucks.
We will blame it on those Darn truck drivers.

Just one more thing ,,,, ‘Why Me’

Hope you know I’m just joking. I’ve had a hard weekend
CruDawg and SWT RYD like this.

EVERY MILE IS MAGIC

I used to be indecisive
But now I'm just not sure
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 redline auto 23k
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicDonna View Post
Must be the wear tracks from the heavy semi trucks.
We will blame it on those Darn truck drivers.

Just one more thing ,,,, Why Me

Hope you know Im just joking. Ive had a hard weekend
You need to rest up before your Phy therapy workout. Take it easy. See you in a few.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:40 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow, "PowerGlide" Alloy Rims (yuk) Runnin' Boards, Gauge Package
OK Robert, let's cut out all BS and get to the real problem ... it's a weight distribution problem !!! Now PLEASE don't take this personal, but here is my solution. Doris is in the passenger seat at 90 lbs and you're in the drivers seat at 290. Then when you packed the cargo area for your cruise, you accidently put the the heavy luggage on your side of the cargo area, which put more weight on your side. Hey "Bro" you're an 18 wheeler truck driver and you of all people know about weight distribution. Your side of the SSR was hunkered down while Doris' side was barely touching the pavement. Have a safe trip to Utah.
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:03 AM
Super Road Rocket Pilot

My SSR:
Empty Garage - Previous 03 04 05 owner - on hunt for next one ;)
There are a few reports of people having similar issues with sidewall flex with various models of Nittos. Plus, you lost just over 1/4 inch of sidewall compared to OEM, less structure to hold the road.

Probably just the nature of the beast that is amplified by having a mixed brand set of tires on since I would imagine that the Goodyears are pretty stiff up front.
Auggie Doggie and SWT RYD like this.

Add your location on Fanatic PINMAP and locate others

post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:49 AM

My SSR:
2006 Blue over Primer'd Bondo FPR 6spd #23424 slapped together 2/22/06
I appreciate this thread. I will avoid Nittos as I hate that "grab the lines in the road" feeling.
Auggie Doggie likes this.
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:40 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 6 spd. BLACK
Try a differnet set?

I have run two sets of Michelin Super Sports that are 315 35's. I run them about 2.2 which is 32 PSI. I get no wiggle out of either set.

I would check and see if the Nitto's sidewall stiffness is the problem. Running a different brand of tire on the front won change the stiffness. On brand may grip more etc.. If the rear tires are not mismatched then I don't think front to back would affect it except on an AWD.

Maybe someone in your area would let you try a different set of rears and see if you can tell the difference. I would ship you a set to try, but the freight is rather high.

Dave
SWT RYD likes this.
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:52 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow, "PowerGlide" Alloy Rims (yuk) Runnin' Boards, Gauge Package
Simple solution Robert ... you got a bad set of tires !!! Take 'em back and have them put you on another set of 315's. That's the easy solution. 10 a Z-co Z dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > Wheel and Tire Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in