Brake Caliper Guide pins - Chevy SSR Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Autoprof

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

Location: Roselle, Illinois This is located NW of Chicago about 25 miles.

My SSR:
2006 Black with running boards and chrome package. Have added items from Florida and Texas.
Brake Caliper Guide pins

While doing brakes on my 2006 (2005 when you buy parts it was noticed that on one side the part on the caliper mounting bracket turns and on the other side doesn't. I think these are called - not sure - ((Brake Caliper Guide Pins)). Can anyone tell me which is correct - Should these turn or not? LAZY ONE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:18 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZY ONE View Post
While doing brakes on my 2006 (2005 when you buy parts it was noticed that on one side the part on the caliper mounting bracket turns and on the other side doesn't. I think these are called - not sure - ((Brake Caliper Guide Pins)). Can anyone tell me which is correct - Should these turn or not? LAZY ONE
They way you have phrased your question is kinda confusing. If I understand it correctly, I believe there are two (guide pins) that locate the caliper in place. They have threads on them at the upper end and are screwed in place to hold the caliper and allow the pads, etc. to ride in/out on them. So my answer would be NO, the pins should bottom out per the threads and remain stationary and not be turning.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

Location: Roselle, Illinois This is located NW of Chicago about 25 miles.

My SSR:
2006 Black with running boards and chrome package. Have added items from Florida and Texas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moscooter View Post
They way you have phrased your question is kinda confusing. If I understand it correctly, I believe there are two (guide pins) that locate the caliper in place. They have threads on them at the upper end and are screwed in place to hold the caliper and allow the pads, etc. to ride in/out on them. So my answer would be NO, the pins should bottom out per the threads and remain stationary and not be turning.
Thank you moscooter for your reply. So, if I understand, should one side be turning, that side, with the loose pins, should be tightened. LAZY ONE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:43 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Redline #9973
It is kind of confusing -- so here goes

The guide pins should be capable of rotating AFTER the mounting bolt is loosened.
Sometimes when removing the mounting bolt, due to friction between the mounting bolt threads and the guide pin threads, the guide pin WILL rotate while trying to remove the caliper. The guide pin on all vehicles is designed with two or six flats so that it can be held with an open end wrench. (you tube shows one with two flats) - pictures illustrate that the SSR guide pins are hexagonal so you can use either an open end or box end wrench.

Pictures #1& #2 show the guide pin highlighted in green and the mounting bolt in red. Notice the guide pin is hexagonal (sorry, I don't recall the size)
A step normally forgotten by DIYers is to remove, clean and lubricate the guide pins. If these are seized the outboard brake pad will drag and wear prematurely. Normally I use caliper lube or even dielectric grease to lubricate these after cleaning with brake clean. The flats on the guide pins may also have to be held with a wrench to torque the mounting bolts down to the 31 lb. ft recommendation.

The following video shows removing the guide pins when replacing caliper - this style is is slightly different than the SSR because the flats are held by the caliper --- ours your need to use an additional wrench. Best video I could find in a short search time explaining the importance of lubricating the guide pins.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSR guide pins 2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	549885   Click image for larger version

Name:	brake pins 1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	549887  
yellow bear likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:02 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
BlueBelle
Try this one, it shows the process for the SSR https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/...lation-246513/

FROM THE HOME OF THE MERMAIDS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:26 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 Redline #9973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiles Sport Roadster View Post
Try this one, it shows the process for the SSR https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/...lation-246513/
Thank you DUH I should have searched with SSR _ I forgot he did one on brake pads.
His videos are great and this does show the use of the extra wrench!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > Wheel and Tire Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in