Chevy SSR Forum banner

Is everybody tired of tires?

3K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Scott 0168 
#1 ·
Since they are turning 6 years, I am probably going to buy new tires for my 2005 SSR. My truck has 45k miles on it. I live in Wyoming and have all sorts of roads to drive on but I try to stay on the interstates and minimize our gravel roads.

Based on the advice of many on this forum, I don't want to replace them with the OEM Goodyear's that are on it now.

Normally, I get tires at the local Big O tire store and they are pretty good there. I searched for the Continental DWS06 tires since quite a few here recommend them.

The Big O website doesn't show a lot of choices and it says that the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06's don't fit. That doesn't make a lot of sense since from what I read here, so many have them.

They do have Continental Cross Contact UHP tires they say fit. Speed rating front V (149); rear Y (186). The load rating is standard on both.

They also have a bunch of Pirelli Pzeros with different speed ratings (W and Y) and different load ratings some extra load rated. I imagine the faster/heavier ones will cost more.

I also looked at Discount Tire (they have shops here) and they have a zillion choices but nothing stands out.

As others have said, it is not a bad idea to get your tires from a national chain since you can get service when you are out of your local area.

What do you think is my next step?

See less See more
#2 ·
Continental Extreme contact dws06 Sportplus
255/ 45ZR19 104W front
295/40 ZR 20 rear 110W
Both of these sizes are available and the tread matches each

ExtremeContact™ DWS06.
With the wet traction grip, this all-season*performance tire rules the road all year long with leading*edge SportPlus*Technology. Dry,*wet, or snow

I purchased mine from a Goodyear dealer. Most tire dealers have access to other brands other than their main brand

#5 · (Edited)
I have the DWS06 in 255-40-19 and 315-35-20. It gives the SSR slightly more rake.

No problem with the ABS system.

That's the size combination the virtually everyone using the DWS06 is gone to. It's the same combination that is available in the Nitto Invo.

When you're comparing tires make sure you check the treadwear rating. A higher number represents longer tire life.

We never get tired if talking tires.

You're going to get a lot of opinions.

#7 ·
Trick is having our trucks not look like all-terrain vehicles, and some of the tires available to us are pretty clumsy looking.
The original Atturos (that I first saw) had a great tread pattern - not so sure now, but not saying they aren't okay.

We all agree the SSR is a truck, but it still is close to being a car - unfortunately, a lot of the stuff that fits our trucks looks like off-road tread

I really like the Nitto pattern, but school is out on tread wear.
Frankly, IMO, the best tread pattern that suited the SSR is the often be-rated OEM RSA's

If my Nitto's go to crap I think I would look at Continental's

TIRES & WHEELS

Ever since I was a kid I realized you can make or break a vehicle in these 2 categories

#12 ·
Tire and oil opinions are like... well, we all know the saying! :whistling:

Long ago, one of the mods (WOW FCTR) had put together a fairly comprehensive list of all tires that were available (most of them are long discontinued). He's been long gone though and that list would likely be far shorter today since there are fewer matching front/rear combinations.

#10 ·
I have the Cross Contact UHPs on mine since they had proper front and rear sizes. Been happy with them. Quiet, good performance. They are not an all season tire, but I do not need (or want) that as I don't drive the 'R in winter. (it's not just for "snow/ice" - all season tires maintain adequate traction and flexibility in cold temps that a summer only performance tire cannot.)

#13 ·
Tires are like sex... they're all good but some are just better than others.

Do you like the tread pattern?
Are they available in the size you want?
Are they round?
Do they hold air?
Do they balance well?

Buy them.

Me??? I've got Pirelli P-Zero. Very sexy. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

#15 ·
My $1,200's worth

I have a couple of sets of the Michelin SS's and it had a new set of RSA's when I purchased it.

I run the RSA's in cold weather (now) and the SS's in warm weather when I do the great majority of the driving. I would not purchase the RSA's. IMO they underperform especially in wet weather and are too high priced if you just want a tire where the tread looks nice.

I have heard the Continentals are excellent all weather tires if that is what you are looking for.

The SS's are by far superior to the RSA's in grip, not close. But, they are lonely warm weather tires.

I do not know anything about the "off brands". I have never been one to purchase the tires just because they are the least expensive since I ran recaps in college because that was all I could afford.

Just my opinion. Buy the best tires you can for the SSR. I would think the Continentals would be an excellent choice if you don't want to go with the highest performance, which you probably don't need.

IMO

Dave

#17 ·
I ran across these a while ago but thought I had lost my note.
They may already have been covered in previous threads, but I do not recall seeing them

I have absolutely no idea about these - just saw they were available in 19 & 20"
"Zenna Argus UHP" - pleasant tread design IMO I don't seem to be able to pull up a picture
They say they are good all-weather, but seem to be really inexpensive, so might be crap.
Then again, for those that drive 1000 leisurely miles per year, it beats spending a pile and throwing them away 6 years later w/6k on them
"Then, then" again, if you only drive 1k annually, you want them to be pleasant quiet miles!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.