New Tires! - Chevy SSR Forum
 49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

New Tires!

I'm thinking that, with Spring coming, it's about time my R gets a new set of tires.
I'm looking for any suggestions for daily tires,
Which ones to definitely avoid, etc.
I appreciate any input.
Jersey red likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 08:40 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 6 spd. BLACK
Different strokes for different folks

If you are looking for "daily" tires, I think you might want to look at the Continental line.

I run Michelin SS's and really like them. However in OH they would not be a "daily" tire but strictly a warm weather tire. Michelin offer all season tires in sizes to fit The R, but they are pricey unless you plan on putting a lot of miles on them which most SSR drivers don't.

You probably need an all season tire that you can run year around rather than a specialized performance tire and then a cold weather tire.

I also have Goodyear tires which were the tire that came on the SSR's all four years. IMO they do not go wide well and don't wear even on the back. They are rated all season and I run them in the winter, but I do not drive The R in snow or ice conditions. They are rather pricey for an OK tire IMO.

I know several people who like the Continentals. They seem reasonable priced and offer different models that go up the ladder for performance vs all season. I do not know if Cooper makes a tire in the size range. I have had great luck with Coopers on other vehicles.

You will find opinions all over the board.

Dave
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 09:53 AM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Here is my 2 cents or when done it will be at least 4 cents.
I don't use the internet to buy tires sight unseen period. I use my local go to tire shop and tell him what I want and he does the ordering and makes sure the dates are very current as he knows me and my specifications I want. He tries to get me tires that were made in the last month or so. When they come in in about a week he notifies me. I take off my hub caps as they advise they may break them. I ask for the rims cleaned on the sealing edge, new stems, touchless mounting machine so they don't scratch the wheels. Then road force balanced for life and mounted, and wheel nuts torqued. After a couple hundred miles I re-torque the wheel nuts and replace the center caps. Cost a little more then mail order but then I know what I have and I know who to contact if a problem arises. I do this on all my vehicles but especially on my SSR which has been known to go very fast at sometimes after all it is Slingshot Yellow. Fastest, sexiest and prettiest you know. My story and I am sticking to it.

My 2 cents. Said it before and will say it again.
Why re-invent the wheel so to speak. Buy the tires that it came with. Good year RSA"S. Good Year sponsors Nascar and they go over 200 miles per hour. They fit and Good year still makes them. The State Trooper cars come with them and I see them driving hard and fast. They don't mess up the speedometer reading and they don't rub. Look good and have a good stance. Did some research and Troopers and local tire shop recommends run 40 pounds of air. Operate flawlessly. Some important things to remember are the date codes. You don't want brand new tires that are old. Don't buy mail order tires. After you have them mounted it is a nightmare if one fails. Mail order place blames the mounting shop and mounting shop blames the mail order tire place. Mean while you don't get your new tire. Check with a high end tire shop that will work with you and order your tires with a current date on them. Then when they get them in take your center caps off yourself before you take it to the shop or they may brake them. Make sure they have a "Touchless" mounting machine so they don't scratch your chrome rims and have them road force balanced. Might be a good Idea to get a front end alignment and use the Dictators specs for setting the front end. Last but not least put 50 miles on them, set the air at 40 pounds, and re-torque the lug nuts and put on your caps yourself. You should be good for another 6 or 8 years or more. Works for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 10:33 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 redline auto 23k
Garage
Opinions opinions opinions. Tires probably have the most opinions of any subject on this site.. nobody to say this person is right that person's wrong. Here's my opinion, if you're going to use your truck as a garage queen or drive within a hundred miles from the house, I'd say go to bubba's tire shop and get your tires. If you're gone to travel a lot and you have a tire failure and your storage space is filled with luggage, you don't have any space to carry that tire that just went bad back to bubba's for any type of warranty. So I would go to a well-known tire shop, Firestone, Tire Kingdom, discount Tire or whatever somebody that's all over the United States. These shops usually have a wide selection of tires of your choice. But remember number one rule remove and replace your hubcaps yourself. Just my .03 cents.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 10:59 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow, "PowerGlide" Alloy Rims (yuk) Runnin' Boards, Gauge Package
ALWAYS use a National known tire store or in my case Bud's Tire here in Murfreesboro. Bud carries all nationally known tire brands that are replaceable at any nationally known store. Everybody today is on the computer so that makes it real easy to get any brand tire.

YOU ARE right Auggie Doggie and SWT RYD !!! and ... take notice of SWT RYD's Number 1 RULE !!!
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 11:26 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Silver on Black TVS2300 supercharged FPR 6 speed 4:10 #23387
Garage
In dry weather, almost any tire will perform reasonably well. Wet weather is where tire performance becomes important.

Several SSR crashes, including a fatal, have been attributed to poor performance by the OEM Goodyear RSAs. I had no interest in replacing mine with more RSAs after reading some of the reports. Primary concern was accelerating on a curved on ramp in wet weather. Slippery tires will let you swap ends in a hurry.

My first replacement set were Nitto Invos in 255/40/19 and 315/35/20. They were extremely sticky. Dry performance was a major improvement, but the performance accelerating from a light in wet weather was night and day better. I was't about to risk the truck testing the tires on wet curves, so the straight line difference had to be the measure of success. They were very quiet and had a really funky tread design. The achilles heel was the tread wear rating. You want really sticky, you settle for tires that wear out quickly.

The set I have on now is the Continental DWS06, in the same sizes. About triple the tread wear rating, excellent in wet weather, and still very sticky in dry.

No chance I would go back to the RSAs. I was unlucky enough to also have them on our Caddy SRX. All wheel drive makes tire problems less noticeable, but when they wore down, they were replaced with Nitto 420s. Also put Nitto 420s for summer use on my crew cab.

Keep in mind that tire brands is one of the most contentious topics on the forum - second only to which polish or wax you should buy.
REBEL and Jersey red like this.

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

00567 Slingshot May 04 - March 06
Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09
24092 Pac Blue Nov 07 - Oct 08
Sig #12 Aug 2008 - Aug 2010

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 11:28 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Shortly after I bought my truck I had a chance to buy a spare set of wheels with very low mileage RSAs on them. So I've gone through two sets of the factory RSAs. My truck is a daily driver, it lives outside, and makes numerous trips to New England every Winter. Neither sleet nor snow nor gloom of night and all that. On dry roads and even in snow the RSAs performed well. If the guy in front of me spit out his window I was in trouble because they were treacherous on a wet road, any road, any wet at all.

I chose the Continental Extreme Contact DWS because of feedback from other owners and the built in rim protector which is the tire is constructed so the rim sits in slightly. You can rub the curb with the tire and the rim will be unscathed. Within reason of course, I wouldn't go banging the curbs at speed.
But I have more trouble parallel parking this truck than anything I've ever driven. I'm very happy with the continentals in dry, wet, winter and summer.

I spent a couple evenings online searching for the best price. All the name chains and smaller places within a hundred miles. Then I thought the mechanic I use has first class alignment and road force balance equipment, I think I'll throw him a bone and just tell him what I want. Got exactly what I wanted for $200 less than the best price I found online. Now I didn't negotiate with them, and may have been able to get the same price, but I rather see my guy get the money. His wife does dog rescue and will certainly spend it for him.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 11:49 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 redline auto 23k
Garage
Don't know if you younguns know of this tool, but I have a tire regrooving tool and you can make your own tread pattern. Just saying. Racing slicks aren't street legal so we would get slicks and put a groove on each side of them maybe one in the middle and keep them on the car all the time in case just in case somebody wanted to challenge you after school. Sorry I got off topic just thinking about different tread patterns.
Auggie Doggie and Jersey red like this.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 01:33 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 6 spd. BLACK
Ditto

Ditto on the RSA in wet.

I purchased my truck near Boston and drove it home to York, NE. We hit a rain shower, not a downpour, on asphalt I will give you, BUT I really noticed that they wanted to hydroplane. The tires were brand spanking new.

One thing I love about the Michelin SS's is how they handle in wet. And also in dry. And also in heat on I 80 at triple digit speed. But never, never ever in cold.

IMO

Dave
Jersey red and SWT RYD like this.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 02:07 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 redline auto 23k
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave rasmussen View Post
Ditto on the RSA in wet.

I purchased my truck near Boston and drove it home to York, NE. We hit a rain shower, not a downpour, on asphalt I will give you, BUT I really noticed that they wanted to hydroplane. The tires were brand spanking new.

One thing I love about the Michelin SS's is how they handle in wet. And also in dry. And also in heat on I 80 at triple digit speed. But never, never ever in cold.

IMO

Dave
Dave. Was that a misprint TRIPLE DIGITI drove thru your lovely state a couple of times. But never that fast.
Auggie Doggie and Jersey red like this.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 05:24 PM
SSR Pit Crew

"Primary concern was accelerating on a curved on ramp in wet weather. Slippery tires will let you swap ends in a hurry. "

Yup, These things are indeed (pickup truck like).........A cab toward the front and a bed in the back. Guess which end is heavier and the 6 liter with a little kick of the gas in a curve that is maybe wet.......will cause ends to swap.

I recall a few R owners learning that at Daytona Speedway last Spring.
Jersey red likes this.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 05:29 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 Redline Red
I run toyo tires usually about 175 each out the door I buy from a shop I know and couple the are car guys I may not get milliage that some get but I like new tires so it works for me.
Jersey red likes this.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 07:28 PM
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
04 red, custom wheels, custom flame paint, flowmaster exhaust
Garage
I'm with the the others....the rsa's were very troubling in the wet. Switched to the continental extreme contacts....Man, what a difference. That's my opinion....

Jarod and Lori
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 08:39 PM
My First Permagrin !

My SSR:
05 #18193 chrome wheels ,carpet kit , boards , gauge pack , sc tuner and a ton of mikes stuff
Garage
I went with continental DWS for the road trip I'm currently still on .
I've driven through torrential Florida rains at over 80 mph and I'm very satisfied with the looks ,traction and handling so far . My local tire stores couldn't get a full set of goodyears and the continentals went on sale so I saved $150 .
The goodyear quote was 1500
I ended up paying 1050 out the door .
My original GSA's were old , hard and very sketchy in the rain . Dave
BSTPAPA likes this.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:11 AM

My SSR:
2004 Silver, custom carbon fiber graphics, Superchips flashpaq, 4:10 gear, corvette servo.
My truck came with a set of brand new Pirelli P zero tires. That was 2 years ago. They have served me well. ( I put about 5K to 6K miles a year on the truck) That said, we don't see much rain here in new mexico. However, when the time comes for fresh rubber, I will likely go with the Conti DWS. I have had conti's in the past and always been pleased with them.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:32 AM
Slingshot Rules!

My SSR:
Slingshot Yellow VIN 20778 Born 05 May 2005 (05/05/05)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DOOPHUS
The Doophus is now on his third set of tires primarily due to age (replace after six years), not mileage.

After the OEMs, I switched to General Grabber UHPs (Continental and General are made by the same company) and have never had any problems. Granted no Rain and/or Snow driving conditions.

When new tires are necessary . . . more General Grabbers.

! ! ! ! ! !
REBEL and sprooney like this.

Just Say NO To BBQ
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:11 AM
SSR Pit Crew

Location: Dothan, Alabama claims to be the Peanut Capital of the World

My SSR:
06 Pacific Blue 3SS, 122302, #239 of 532, Auto , purchased Dec 2018
I went with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS because of feedback from other owners who were happy with them. So far I am pleased. They are sticky. I can't compare to Goodyear OEM since mine were 14 years old and only 5000 miles so they rode like crap because of age and flat spots. Good Luck with your purchase.
tennesseecozydog likes this.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 09:18 AM
Ms Donna's Driver
Supporting Member

Location: beside the tracks of the "Wabash Cannonball" along the banks of the "Wabash River" Indiana

My SSR:
'04 Ricochet Silver and then along came. SINISTER
Sinister has Continentals for shoes. Did have the low profile Nitro tires that looked good but did not defend the rims from the potholes. If you drive the truck anymore than just to close by car shows, then get a tire with some sidewalls to them.
Donna's truck has the RSA Goodyears which are good for no more than it is driven. Also Goodyear will stand behind their tire. Our truck sat for almost 10 years and the front tires developed flat spots that did not work out of. Goodyear replaced them.
The Continentals on Sinister ride good and hold the road.

EVERY MILE IS MAGIC

I used to be indecisive
But now I'm just not sure
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:03 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow, "PowerGlide" Alloy Rims (yuk) Runnin' Boards, Gauge Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzr View Post
My truck came with a set of brand new Pirelli P zero tires. That was 2 years ago. They have served me well. ( I put about 5K to 6K miles a year on the truck) That said, we don't see much rain here in new mexico. However, when the time comes for fresh rubber, I will likely go with the Conti DWS. I have had conti's in the past and always been pleased with them.
Me too wizzr (I have had Continentals in the past and always been pleased with them) In my lifetime the only bad set of tires I've ever had was some Bridgestone Firestone's that came on a new 2016 Impala 2LT ... they were awful. Bud replaced them with Michelin's (for a fee of course). In my years working for Bud's Tire, I "sampled" several different brands just to try them out for him.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 12:27 AM
I

My SSR:
San Francisco Bay Area
Tripple Digits

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWT RYD View Post
Dave. Was that a misprint TRIPLE DIGITI drove thru your lovely state a couple of times. But never that fast.
I use both......Goodyear on the front and Continental's on the rear.

Oh...and I love the tripple digit club....

Frank......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeR-3.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	541239  

I Love Getting IN & Out of:
"TROUBLE"
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 12:33 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
100 mph is ok for relaxed cruising, over 125 mph I might put my seatbelt on though.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 06:28 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 6 spd. BLACK
West of Salt Lake City is a good place to go fast.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 08:58 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 yellow
Wizzer, I have the Pirelli p zero on mine. Let me tell you in a hard rain,it's like driving a surf board. Very good on dry roads.Continental next time for sure.ots cheaper too.

“Life is not about how fast you run or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.”
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:23 AM
BLU SSR

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studmuffin View Post
I'm thinking that, with Spring coming, it's about time my R gets a new set of tires.
I'm looking for any suggestions for daily tires,
Which ones to definitely avoid, etc.
I appreciate any input.
Tim,
Here's my $.02 - I have had the Original Goodyears (from 6000 miles) and new Nexen's and new Continental DWS's and unless you like your backend trying to trade places with your front , the Continentals are the only choice. they are a little pricey (1200+) for a set of four , but the safety factor is well worth it IMHO. The ride and noise are both as good or better than the other two also. When I replace the tires on Red it will be Cont. DWS's.
Just wanted to chime in because I know this is a big purchase and one you will live with for a long while. Hope this helps(probably just adds to the confusion) Good Luck and ENJOY your Baby!
Jim
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:49 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 PITCH BLACK, MUTH Mirrors, BGH Tips, Eibach's, Pioneer Navigation, Old school flames, air horns
Garage
NITTO’s on mine for the last 10 years. 2nd set on now.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 10:16 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2005 6 spd. BLACK
Sweet dreams

Bruce. I am safe. My Garmin said 123. My wife woke up.

Dave
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the input.
I now have a good idea of what I'm looking for and can understand why the suggested tires are suggested.

Currently I'm in a similar situation to Riley, my UV had the original 14 year old RSA's. I don't intend to drive in the snow, but in Ohio, the sky can decide to rain without any warning.
That happened once on the freeway when my top was down, oops!

I'm going to use these comments as a springboard for my research, and I will have new tires by Maggie Valley in May.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 07:44 PM

My SSR:
2005 Redline red
my SSR still on the original tires 22000 miles . I will be changing soon.
gaindian likes this.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 08:14 PM
BLU SSR

My SSR:
05 Aqua Blur and 05 Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studmuffin View Post
Thank you everyone for the input.
I now have a good idea of what I'm looking for and can understand why the suggested tires are suggested.

Currently I'm in a similar situation to Riley, my UV had the original 14 year old RSA's. I don't intend to drive in the snow, but in Ohio, the sky can decide to rain without any warning.
That happened once on the freeway when my top was down, oops!

I'm going to use these comments as a springboard for my research, and I will have new tires by Maggie Valley in May.

Good plan cause I can almost guarantee rain at Maggie!!
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 09:32 AM

My SSR:
2005 Smokin' Asphalt #14920
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSReplay View Post
Good plan cause I can almost guarantee rain at Maggie!!
Happens 100% of the time I go there. But I have been there only once.
SSReplay likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > Wheel and Tire Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in