30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
New tires can be 4 yrs old?!

Hello all.....I did do a search about this topic but not finding exact answer so am asking your opinions.

I'm getting ready to purchase Aturro tires for my 04 and was told by Simple Tire that their new tires can be up 4 years old and still fall into guidelines for new tires. They also stated that their warehouse is climate controlled so that helps the tires stay viable and therefore "new" agewise.

I don't post much and haven't in forever but always search thru these forums to check on anything about my SSR since you all are the experts. Ive read on here that age is a serious issue for tires. I also did a general Google search and am finding that lots of folks feel a new tire should only be a year or two old. I don't do a lot of driving so age of tire and what I can expect to get out of them time wise is a bit more important than if I drove a lot and was going to eat up the tread quickly.

So what do you think about a tire company selling 3/4 year olds as new tires?

Thanks,
Yvonne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 11:26 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow, "PowerGlide" Alloy Rims (yuk) Runnin' Boards, Gauge Package
Yvonne, excellent questions !!!

Worked at Bud's Tire for a number of years here in Murfreesboro. I would bet I never had 5 people ever question the age of the tires. Now keep in mind Bud's Tire is a Mom & Pop Tire and Car Repair store that moves a bunch of tires. Bud & Kay get 2 Box Truck loads of tires everyday (morning & afternoon), however, how long they have been in a warehouse in Nashville is another story and ... Bud has no control over that. Also keep in mind as I stated above, this is a Mom & Pop organization. Buy a set of tires, run 'em, don't like 'em bring 'em back, Bud will put you on another new set, no questions asked, no paper's to sign. Will sell the returned set as used tires at HIS cost. Hellavu deal !!! But please remember these corporate stores do not operate that way. You run their tires for a week or 10 days and take 'em back and see what they tell you.

I couldn't say whether all the warehouses in Nashville are climate controlled or not. Now I know this doesn't answer your questions, just some "food for thought" ... ask the salesperson "Show me the date made on each tire" if you're not happy, happy, happy bargain with them or try another store. Wishing you the very best and since you don't post very much to the SSR Family. Hope I have been of some help.

Bob Alexander - tennesseecozydog -
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 11:47 AM

My SSR:
'06 Slingshot Yellow #21829. Adopted 12/28/13.
Personally, I won't buy tires if they are more than a year old and probably would replace after 6-7 years of use depending on tread depth. In the case of a (new) 4-year old tire that would give me 2-3 years of use. Some Fanatics will wear them out by then.

This is a matter of safety for me. I have had tires dry-rot after 3-4 years of use. Yes, the rubber compounds have probably improved over the years but I would rather be safe than sorry.

You will probably receive many other opinions on this.

Greg
tennesseecozydog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 11:56 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Slingshot Yellow, "PowerGlide" Alloy Rims (yuk) Runnin' Boards, Gauge Package
"I have had tires dry-rot after 3-4 years of use" Very true, ML, when they are exposed to the weather elements (and pot holes). You know they may last forever in a warehouse especially with no air in them and no direct Sun or Winter conditions. t-dog
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 12:13 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Lonnie lights #43,confidence by simple Engineering
Send a message via Yahoo to abadssr
I just had a flat and went to my tire guy. He looked and he didnít have a tire so he called Los Angeles his companies California warehouse, they had 1 that would fit and match. It was a little over 1 year old . He instead got one from Texas that was newer. Telling me you want the newest you can get.
BlueStreak and Hollister SSR like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 12:21 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 Redline Red FPR
Just bought a new set of Michelin's at Discount. My first concern to them was age and that I didn't want old tires. The Bridgestone Dueler's I had on it still had tread on them but were 8 years old.

The tires had to be shipped in from different parts of the country and before they were installed I should have went out in the shop to check the dates but I trusted them. The fronts were fresh but the backs were 2 years old. I told them if it was a daily driver I wouldn't have a problem with them.

It took them 3 weeks but they found me some fresh back tires and made the change. They did come through with their promise.

Manager had told me before the purchase that my only concerns about age would be buying tires from a Mom & Pop outfit. He said I would probably have to wear a jacket to walk inside Michelin's warehouse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 12:47 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
I bought my Atturos from Simpletire, Rears and fronts at separate times and all had date codes less than a year from my purchase.
Last year I had to have a Mikey replaced on my Lexus by Discount tire store here. When I got home is was cleaning the tire and saw it was four years old. I went back and they replaced it right away with a current one and provided me with a free alignment certificate. I guess they don't even check the date codes when they install them. Now I am going to ask every time.
Greg

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 12:55 PM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
I worked in a tire store way back after I got out of high school and we never checked the dates on tires. The warehouse was an older brick building in down town St Louis so it was always hot in the summer and freezing cold in the winter time. But one thing was the windows were all covered with an off white sheeting over them. I am not sure if it was to keep the sun light off the tires or eyes from seeing what was inside although the bad guys new what was inside.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 01:01 PM
Slingshot Rules!

My SSR:
Slingshot Yellow VIN 20778 Born 05 May 2005 (05/05/05)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DOOPHUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne View Post
Hello all.....I did do a search about this topic but not finding exact answer so am asking your opinions.

Thanks,
Yvonne
Here ya go, Yvonne . . . a couple of "dated" videos that may help answer your question.

My research revealed . . . for the safety of all involved, replacement tires for any vehicle, especially a low use type, should be no more than one year old.

Good Luck.
MLCrisisSSR and wolfpacker like this.

Just Say NO To BBQ
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 01:02 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 Redline Red FPR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbaehr View Post
I bought my Atturos from Simpletire, Rears and fronts at separate times and all had date codes less than a year from my purchase.
Last year I had to have a Mikey replaced on my Lexus by Discount tire store here. When I got home is was cleaning the tire and saw it was four years old. I went back and they replaced it right away with a current one and provided me with a free alignment certificate. I guess they don't even check the date codes when they install them. Now I am going to ask every time.
Greg
Like Tennesseecozydog said about having very few people ever question the age of tires, most people probably don't even know there's a date on them. If they were bread or milk at the store it might be a different story.

post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
SIMPLETIRE.COM EMAIL: Unfortunately, due to the number of warehouse locations we have, we are unable to pull and check exact date of manufacturing on tires. We do however make sure all tires that are shipped are within the industry standard of 4 years or earlier. If for any reason we receive notification that the dates are other than that, we will reach out to you to confirm if you would like them or not.

The tires are stocked in temperature control warehouses and undergo zero degradation or aging. Furthermore, tires up to 4 years old are considered to be new and safe to be driven upon.

So they do state that warehouse setting allows for ZERO degradation of tires but I have to wonder why some of you have had your tire seller go to extra lengths to get you tires that are year old or less. Makes me lean towards a year old and under regardless. I'll be glad when I live back in real world and not in middle of nowhere. Guess I could see just what the two local garage here can get me.l

I'm glad that Simple Tire replaced the older ones for you Texasbaehr (sorry, I'm sure I got the spelling/user name wrong but I don't what to chance changing page to verify and lose what I've already typed)....but I don't want to take a chance that they won't if I run into that issue.

Heres one more question....I want to upgrade size, 315 in rear...if I don't go with Aturro which I already see the 315s in that brand will fit fine...do I need to be concerned that a 315 of another brand is slightly diff measurements and may rub?

Thanks much for your help and input on this Tire stuff, I appreciate it....I had a bit of a stroke few years back and I just don't trust my brain enough to solely rely on it with tire specs, esp for the SSR!
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
I have to admit, the only reason I know about date codes and old tire issues is this site! I have a new old Goodyear that came with the SSR so I was going to use it and put Goodyears on but I'm one of those people that researches everything and in searching on this site I discovered the tire codes and not to use a dated tire which that new but old Goodyear was. Plus I have no real desire to put the Goodyears back on as they seem too pricey for how long they last and some of you don't like their performance. I know some people on here think they are best because they came on the SSRs but could have been that Goodyear struck the best deal at the time for Chevy and the SSR team.

Owning an SSR would be a lot trickier if not for this site and all of you....
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 01:39 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 Redline Red FPR
Heres one more question....I want to upgrade size, 315 in rear...if I don't go with Aturro which I already see the 315s in that brand will fit fine...do I need to be concerned that a 315 of another brand is slightly diff measurements and may rub?

Last two sets have been 315's and it didn't seem to matter between the Bridgestone's or the Michelin's.

post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 01:53 PM
Private SSR Investigator

My SSR:
"Kate" a Haughty Redhead, '06 Redline FPR 6 spd. #23333 Build Date 2/16/06
Garage
Yeah, I am going to change my battery and tires every year, just like my shorts.
Throw in the ignition switch as well!
Christ on a crutch (here it goes again - HaHa!) how stoopid are we?
Do we just want to fill our landfills with batteries and tires on a lark?
And you don't believe in Global Warming I guess - good luck with that concept
Redracr and RedHotSSR like this.

"Such are the Vagaries of Life"
Ah, I'm Just Truckin' With Ya!
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 01:53 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Greg
They don't Greg (check the dates) t dog
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 02:29 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 redline auto 23k
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseecozydog View Post
Quote:
Greg
They don't Greg (check the dates) t dog
All serial #'s and date codes are checked and registered. Federal Law, in case of recall.
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 02:34 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Ricochet Silver
Garage
Bought my Atlas Force UHP tires from SimpleTire.com. Bought rears and fronts as separate orders a couple weeks apart. Bought the rears on 20 Sep and they are dated 4017 (first week of October 2017). The fronts I ordered on 01 October and they are dated 2218 (first week of June 2018). The fronts took a bit longer on delivery because they had to be shipped from the SimpleTire warehouse in Oregon. I am very happy with SimpleTire, they have great reviews, outstanding customer service, and FREE shipping on tires (even from Oregon to Florida). I will use them again.
Cheers, Carl

Cheers, Carl

Atlantic Beach, FL

2005 Ricochet Silver
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 04:20 PM
Slingshot Rules!

My SSR:
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash View Post
Yeah, I am going to change my battery and tires every year, just like my shorts.
Sorry, Dale . . . but the statistics speak volumes.

High speed single vehicle roll-overs are frequently the direct result of a blow-out involving old worn out tires. Just one blow-out related accident causing a roll into the ditch would likely be far more expensive than a set of new tires every six years. An accident involving another vehicle or six plus personal injury should be a no-brainer.

However, I have never heard or read anything about an old battery and/or ignition switch being responsible for a accident of any type.

! ! ! ! ! !
Curbsssr likes this.

Just Say NO To BBQ
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 04:46 PM
Private SSR Investigator

My SSR:
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOPHUS View Post
Sorry, Dale . . . but the statistics speak volumes.

High speed single vehicle roll-overs are frequently the direct result of a blow-out involving old worn out tires. Just one blow-out related accident causing a roll into the ditch would likely be far more expensive than a set of new tires every six years. An accident involving another vehicle or six plus personal injury should be a no-brainer.

However, I have never heard or read anything about an old battery and/or ignition switch being responsible for a accident of any type.

! ! ! ! ! !
Hey Curt
I think the difference is how we drive our vehicles
Our SSR's are pampered
How many times am I over 60 mph?
Not much, even with my 6sp
I am not about to swap my tires on a lark.
Kate is house bound - really well cared for - I won't swap tires for no reason about age.
Right now she has about 3k but 3 years - I am not about to consider ship them off
tennesseecozydog and gaindian like this.

post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 04:49 PM
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR

My SSR:
2005 Slingshot Yellow (O-YLR) 2005 Flame Pace Trk (CFO's)
I got a spare for the CFO's Pace trk. Found a 17" Goodyear RSA in the correct size thru Discount Tire. Thought, all right a matching tire to the OEM tires. Two days later when it came in, had them check the date code before mounting. 7 Years Old...... GY doesn't make that size anymore, so ended going with another weight rated/speed rated GY with a similar tread pattern. Glad I checked before mounting

I used to be Retired, Nowadays I'm just Tired......
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 05:05 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWT RYD View Post
All serial #'s and date codes are checked and registered. Federal Law, in case of recall.
He said when they're installed. They may be registered at the warehouse or warehouses in Nashville. Never saw one guy at Bud's Tire check the dates as he installed them. They just go upstairs and throw down 1,2 or 4. Lil Bud is the only one that would know where to look !!! You must be talkin' about truck tires Robert. Just an added note, when you price a tire or tires at Bud's, that is the out the door price ... no add on's. t-dog
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 05:42 PM

My SSR:
2006 SSR 6 speed FPR Ricochet Silver over Smokin Asphalt 3SS Chrome pkg.
Garage
I don't know about the US but here in British Columbia, Canada we have compulsory government run insurance. One of the first things investigators do in an accident assessment is record the expiry date on the tires. Why do you suppose they do that? I replaced my front Goodyear Eagles last year and I checked the expiry dates myself at the CalTire dealership before they were installed. Partly because I'm price conscious, the two tires installed came to $830.00 but also for the same reason I wouldn't buy a 4 year old new propane bottle. Obviously if a tire is worn out, or damaged it doesn't matter what the expiry date is. Just my 2cents worth.
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 06:17 PM
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 slingshot and a 2006 silver FPR with chrome
My own experience is this: I have purchased used Goodyear tires for over 15 years as long as there is absolutely no checking or age problems with tread at least 9/32 when stored correctly standing up. I currently have two sets of used Goodyear tires that were purchased a few years ago in my garage waiting to be installed when needed on my two SSR's because age of perfect tires means nothing to me. My 2006 has over 114,000 miles on right now and has had several used tires installed and they still look new and will stay on until the tread is down to about 1/8 inch. I keep them balanced and never have any tire vibration. It sure beats paying the high price of new when you can get like new for less then half on the internet. To me, it is nonsense to get rid of any tire just because of age. By the way, if you do not have Dictators front alignment specs, you should get them to keep the front tires from wearing out on the inside edges.

(727)-207-2575 or
.com

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 06:25 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Where do they find the expiry date? Is it provided by the manufacturer or the government?

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 06:58 PM
Slingshot Rules!

My SSR:
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash View Post
Hey Curt
I think the difference is how we drive our vehicles
Obviously, Dale . . . the difference is how we address the safety and security of our vehicles.

A new set of tires for 800 to 900 bucks every 6 to 7 years crunches down to about 10 bucks a month. A mere "drop in the bucket" compared to the most basic of basic accident caused by a blow-out from an aging tire.

Go ahead and enjoy a couple Starbucks each month and I will continue to do anything and everything possible to protect The Doophus.
BlueStreak likes this.

Just Say NO To BBQ
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 07:07 PM
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 slingshot and a 2006 silver FPR with chrome
I need tires before 6 or 7 years because I drive my SSR and not slowly either and anybody that thinks tires are no good after 6 or more years is wrong. I have seen tires that look new on older vehicles at car shows that are 20 years old because of how the vehicles are stored inside.

(727)-207-2575 or
.com

post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 07:21 PM

My SSR:
2006 SSR 6 speed FPR Ricochet Silver over Smokin Asphalt 3SS Chrome pkg.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Where do they find the expiry date? Is it provided by the manufacturer or the government?
It is stamped on the sidewall of the tire by the manufacturer, it's the number or series of numbers after the DOT. My front tires are actually stamped 2017. The Nitto 420's on the rear of my "R"use a series of numbers the last 2 digits being the manufacture year. in my case 10 or 2010.
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 07:43 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
"I'm glad that Simple Tire replaced the older ones for you Texasbaehr (sorry, I'm sure I got the spelling/user name wrong but I don't what to chance changing page to verify and lose what I've already typed)....but I don't want to take a chance that they won't if I run into that issue."

It was Discount tire that installed a 4 yr old replacement Michelin on my daily driver. They said technically it was within spec but since I bought the original tires there and have been a long time customer, they swapped it out.
I had no issues with the Atturo tires from SimpleTire and the same Discount Tire in Conroe, TX installed and balanced them for me.
Greg

post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 07:51 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
There is no set expiration date. Tires are stamped with a manufacture date. And, unfortunately there is no State (that I am aware of) or Federal mandated expiration period but, tire Safety experts say after 6 years tires are no longer safe for vehicle use. See the link I'm sure there is a lot of CYA and safety factor built into that recommendation so its left up to you and tire retailers to sort out.

Tires Expire in Six Years - Tire Safety Group

Greg
DOOPHUS likes this.

post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 08:25 PM
Private SSR Investigator

My SSR:
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOPHUS View Post
Obviously, Dale . . . the difference is how we address the safety and security of our vehicles.

A new set of tires for 800 to 900 bucks every 6 to 7 years crunches down to about 10 bucks a month. A mere "drop in the bucket" compared to the most basic of basic accident caused by a blow-out from an aging tire.

Go ahead and enjoy a couple Starbucks each month and I will continue to do anything and everything possible to protect The Doophus.
I can't afford Starbucks either
I had Kate out 4 times this year - basically $250 per trip regarding insurance
Do what you want, and I wish I had the money, but I am not about to be changing Kate's shoes anytime soon.

BTW, my last set of boots was $1600 and I don't have the luxury you obviously have protecting the wonderful Doophus

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > Wheel and Tire Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in