LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 11:13 PM
Daily Driver
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8XLr8r View Post
I don't know about the US but here in British Columbia, Canada we have compulsory government run insurance. One of the first things investigators do in an accident assessment is record the expiry date on the tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Where do they find the expiry date? Is it provided by the manufacturer or the government?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8XLr8r View Post
It is stamped on the sidewall of the tire by the manufacturer, it's the number or series of numbers after the DOT. My front tires are actually stamped 2017. The Nitto 420's on the rear of my "R"use a series of numbers the last 2 digits being the manufacture year. in my case 10 or 2010.
That's the date of manufacture, not an expiry date. That's why I asked where they get the expiry date.

Remember, an expert is just a drip under pressure.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 05:05 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Ricochet Silver
Garage
Quote:
Where do they find the expiry date? Is it provided by the manufacturer or the government?
The date of manufacture is a 4-digit number. The first 2 digits indicate the week of manufacture, the last 2 digits indicate the year. A date of manufacture code of 2017 indicates week 20 (3rd week of May) of 2017.

Cheers, Carl

Cheers, Carl

Atlantic Beach, FL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Ricochet Silver
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 07:24 AM
Just a Canadian Fanatic!!

My SSR:
2004 Ultra Violet ... Corvette servo, hood struts
Quote:
That's the date of manufacture, not an expiry date. That's why I asked where they get the expiry date.

Remember, an expert is just a drip under pressure.
I have talked to 3 different tire shop owners, yes granted they’re not “rubber manufacturering experts” but they know their tires, all 3 have been in the “business” for 20+ years, so I tend to believe them, anyway, all 3 said that tires no matter how old “blow” for a reason AKA damaged, I talked to them about the tires on my collector (fun) cars, they said to thoroughly inspect them, look for cracks, chunks, cuts anything like that, that’s what leads to blow outs. Now I have 3 vehicles that have 6+ year old tires on them, I inspect them every spring and there is no sign of ANYTHING wrong with them, plus when I do drive them, I get the tires nice and hot like they told me to, the tires here in Canada for the SSR will eat up the better part of 2k and the other two will be 12-1500 each. It really seems to be a waste to throw out tires that have a ton of tread left on them because they’re 6 years old. I too know a few people with 40+ old cars running around on the original tires, now granted they’re not driving them across the country !!
Just my $.02 worth!! What the hell do I know I’m just a man!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rob & Tracie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 07:51 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
'04 red
Garage
There are many types of R owners. Garage queens, weekend cruisers, daily drivers, cross country trippers. I would think each may have a different view of what they want out of a tire.

For me, we drive ours, sort of a mix. Very little in the winter. In the fall we make the 3 hour trip to football games and tailgate, sometimes getting back about 2am. We also go to SSR rallys and may drive over 1000 miles there and well over 60 mph.

If you do the SSR rallys and drive the track like the AMS last week, doing 90+mph what age tire would you want on the truck in front of you?
Curbsssr likes this.

Always check relays
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 07:55 AM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
I agree, I have a couple vehicles with tires that hold air and have tread. But I'd have to guess when they were made, at least what decade. However unlike the SSR, neither are driven fast or cornered quickly.

I just wanted to know how the B.C. insurance investigators come up with an expiry date?

post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 08:31 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
'04 red
Garage
Expiry date-good question.

Also, mine stay inside between 55 and 75 degrees, only get UV rays when in use. I would think that would add a fair amount of life to mine versus the ones on my horse trailer that stays parked in one direction with the right side catching full southern exposure year round.

Always check relays
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 10:39 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
06 Redline Red FPR
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpacker View Post
There are many types of R owners. Garage queens, weekend cruisers, daily drivers, cross country trippers. I would think each may have a different view of what they want out of a tire.

For me, we drive ours, sort of a mix. Very little in the winter. In the fall we make the 3 hour trip to football games and tailgate, sometimes getting back about 2am. We also go to SSR rallys and may drive over 1000 miles there and well over 60 mph.

If you do the SSR rallys and drive the track like the AMS last week, doing 90+mph what age tire would you want on the truck in front of you?
That first paragraph hits the nail on the head. I read some of these post and think these people need to change the water in the bong instead of changing tires.

Nobody ever agrees on these tire and battery threads anyway. Looks like driving habits and location are mostly the driving force behind peoples opinions.

But Yvonne who lives in the middle of nowhere in Utah ask would you buy a new tire that was 4 years old. My answer is no. But I live in the 4th largest city in the country. Drive on freeways at speeds of 70 or 80 and still get run over. Temperatures in the 90ís to 100ís three to five months of the year and most years weíre wearing shorts and flip flops on Christmas Day. So a tire here thatís 8 - 10 years old is definitely gonna show its age more so than a tire sitting in a garage in the cold for 9 months of the year.

So Yvonne I would factor in where you live and how much you drive before putting brand new 4 year old tires on your R.

Just my .02worth.
nj6969 likes this.

post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
For me, I'll pass on old tires even if never driven on based on the info like this below. For safety I'll defer to those guidelines set by Europe because Europe is often ahead of us in things I find important. Plus I like mashing the gas a bit when I out on a road in middle of nowhere....keeps the fuel injection system clean right?!😜 And lastly, I've actually had a tire blow at about 55...thankfully I was slowing down from about 65 as I was exiting the freeway...this was years ago and my reaction time and ability was no doubt sharper but lots of traffic so I was extremely fortunate that there wasn't a bad accident in which someone could have been badly injured or killed.

The other thing for folks driving on old tires and/or worn tires....I'd imagine if you have an accident and cause enough injury to someone, your vehicle will be looked at, including tires, to see if anything on your vehicle contributed to accident or prevented you from better avoiding accident. My business law class in college was long time ago so I may be wrong but there's something called Contributory Negligence in car accidents and such. I'm a safer than sorry kind of thinker myself.

Thanks again everyone for all your input. Here is a link about tire age and how Europe and Japan view tire age.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=138
DOOPHUS likes this.
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
" I read some of these post and think these people need to change the water in the bong instead of changing tires"

Funny....thanks for the chuckle!
nj6969 likes this.
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 11:45 AM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Here is my 2 cents or when done it will be at least 4 cents.
I don't use the internet to buy tires sight unseen period. I use my local go to tire shop and tell him what I want and he does the ordering and makes sure the dates are very current as he knows me and my specifications I want. He tries to get me tires that were made in the last month or so. When they come in in about a week he notifies me. I take off my hub caps as they advise they may break them. I ask for the rims cleaned on the sealing edge, new stems, touchless mounting machine so they don't scratch the wheels. Then road force balanced for life and mounted, and wheel nuts torqued. After a couple hundred miles I re-torque the wheel nuts and replace the center caps. Cost a little more then mail order but then I know what I have and I know who to contact if a problem arises. I do this on all my vehicles but especially on my SSR which has been known to go very fast at sometimes after all it is Slingshot Yellow. Fastest, sexiest and prettiest you know.
DOOPHUS likes this.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
That's exactly what I decided...no internet for tires. I'm in process of waiting to hear back from two tire shops in St George UT as to whether they can get the Aturro and in sizes I'd like. They told me the tires they get are within a year old...big diff from online telling me within 4yrs...wth?!

I'll make note of the things you mentioned too as well as Dictators specs for alignment...I know guy's love it when a chick walks into a male dominated business and with lists and/or printouts🤣...I'll warn them I'm a pain in arse when I make the appointment so they can be prepared!

Thanks
DOOPHUS and Auggie Doggie like this.
post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 01:03 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
From Yvonne's link...
Quote:
"Environmental conditions like exposure to sunlight and coastal climates, as well as poor storage and infrequent use, accelerate the aging process.

post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 02:53 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
Here is what I posted back on 3-4-18 on tires. My story and I am sticking to it.

My 2 cents. Said it before and will say it again.
Why re-invent the wheel so to speak. Buy the tires that it came with. Good year RSA"S. Good Year sponsors Nascar and they go over 200 miles per hour. They fit and Good year still makes them. The State Trooper cars come with them and I see them driving hard and fast. They don't mess up the speedometer reading and they don't rub. Look good and have a good stance. Did some reasearch and Troopers and local tire shop recommends run 40 pounds of air. Operate flawlessly. Some important things to remember are the date codes. You don't want brand new tires that are old. Don't buy mail order tires. After you have them mounted it is a nightmare if one fails. Mail order place blames the mounting shop and mounting shop blames the mail order tire place. Mean while you don't get your new tire. Check with a high end tire shop that will work with you and order your tires with a current date on them. Then when they get them in take your center caps off yourself before you take it to the shop or they may brake them. Make sure they have a "Touchless" mounting machine so they don't scratch your chrome rims and have them road force balanced. Might be a good Idea to get a front end alignment and use the Dictators specs for setting the front end. Last but not least put 50 miles on them, set the air at 40 pounds, and re-torque the lug nuts and put on your caps yourself. You should be good for another 6 or 8 years or more. Works for me.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 05:20 PM

I just picked up some wheels with original tires! DOT from 2005! If i'm buying new I wont accept any tires with a DOT# more than a year old.
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 05:51 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteman62 View Post
My own experience is this: I have purchased used Goodyear tires for over 15 years as long as there is absolutely no checking or age problems with tread at least 9/32 when stored correctly standing up. I currently have two sets of used Goodyear tires that were purchased a few years ago in my garage waiting to be installed when needed on my two SSR's because age of perfect tires means nothing to me. My 2006 has over 114,000 miles on right now and has had several used tires installed and they still look new and will stay on until the tread is down to about 1/8 inch. I keep them balanced and never have any tire vibration. It sure beats paying the high price of new when you can get like new for less then half on the internet. To me, it is nonsense to get rid of any tire just because of age. By the way, if you do not have Dictators front alignment specs, you should get them to keep the front tires from wearing out on the inside edges.

Well, everyone has their own opinion and experience with this issue. Now, as in the last several sets of tires I have purchased for my SSR and my Avalanche, I let the dealer know I want them to be less than one year old and/or less than 18 months tops. This I believe is reasonable and ensures you have a fairly "fresh" set.

On the other hand, I tend to believe the (drama) and concern with aged tires is a little over the top. If there is no checking or apparent deterioration and remaining ample tread, you should be good to go and not really be concerned. I came back across the country from Las Vegas to the coast of No. Carolina in late 2017 with our "new" SSR. Can't recall the (age) exactly, but the tires were the stock Good Years and likely were the ones that came on it as it only had 20,500 miles on it. We ran I-40 most of the way back at interstate speeds of 75 to 85.......sometimes more. That was a plus 2400 mile trip. No problems with tires and the SSR tracked like it was on rails.

Further more, I have a 2005 Bass Tracker boat and trailer. I only use it maybe two or three times per year. It's been to south Florida and the west end of No. Carolina many times. When not in use, it sits in a garage away from any sunlight............the tread is good, I have no intentions of putting new tires on it and no concerns of a problem with them regarding "age".
post #46 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 11:12 AM

Its what you can't see is what to worry about. Belt separation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > Wheel and Tire Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in