• 3 Post By CruDawg
  • 1 Post By Dicktator
  • 1 Post By Texasbaehr
  • 1 Post By Dicktator
  • 1 Post By CruDawg

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Removing Wheels

After getting the lug nuts off, I can't get the wheel off. I thought of using a gear puller, but I'm afraid I will bend those beautiful chrome wheels. I have sprayed PB blaster everywhere to no avail. Kicking, thumping, and cussing have not resolved my issue. Has anyone encountered this trouble?
edbudvig and Jersey red like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 04:47 PM

edbudvig

I'm having the same problem! Does anyone have an answer for seized front tire/rim?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 04:57 PM
ONE OWNER !!!!
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
Garage
Loosen the lug nuts but don't remove them then drive it forward then reverse a couple of times in your garage( one wheel at a time ) or try hitting the tire on the back side with board with the lug nuts loose. Once you get them loose put some never seize on the back of the wheel on the contact surface so it doesn't happen again !!!!!

Welcome From Western Pa !!!!!!!

Jim & Sherrie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
James Dean & Misstadoo
"Blessings can be big or small, but be sure to count them all”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 05:20 PM
SJA
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Silver with 126,000 mi. s#4B109910
When my R was in the shop the other day for front brake pad replacement, the mechanic had the same problem. After all the standard approaches failed, he took a small sledge hammer & made meaningful impact on the inside of the rim while the R was on a lift. Off it came & without any damage. Key point is to have tire off the ground.

Hope this helps,
"SJA"
Flying Dog likes this.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 05:21 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'06 Pac Blue FPR auto #23823 build date 03/08/2006 ZR6 Zone Show Vehicle named BluByU
The first time I tried to remove the front wheels I couldn't get them off. I ended up getting a 2x4 and a small sledgehammer and whaling on the back of the wheel until it finally broke loose. I then cleaned up the hub lip or flange until it was free of any rust and sprayed it with WD40. I have since taken the wheels off multiple times with no problem.

Dave
Flying Dog and SJA like this.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 05:46 PM
Proud Original Owner

My SSR:
'03 #01155 Painted stripes, Magnaflow, K&N air system, Ported Throttle Body, 4:30 Gears. Custom Tune
Garage
I put a 2x4 on the inside across the tire & rim and used a small sledge hammer to break it free.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RR--Ron & Frieda --- ------I'm on my second cup of coffee and still can't face the day - Gordon Lightfoot
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 05:59 PM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 6 sp. with 4.56 gears, ZR1 clutch, Edelbrock intake, Lunati cam, Crane rockers, C6 modified pan
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Dean View Post
Loosen the lug nuts but don't remove them then drive it forward then reverse a couple of times in your garage( one wheel at a time ) or try hitting the tire on the back side with board with the lug nuts loose. Once you get them loose put some never seize on the back of the wheel on the contact surface so it doesn't happen again !!!!!

Welcome From Western Pa !!!!!!!
You don't want any lube on the wheel/rotor flat surfaces, only a minor amount on the hub and wheel center. The strength of the interface is a combination of two clean/flat surfaces and the proper torque of the studs!
James Dean, TXNSSR and shakatak like this.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough."

Sir Henry Royce, of Rolls-Royce
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 06:12 PM

My SSR:
2006 SSR 6 speed FPR Ricochet Silver over Smokin Asphalt 3SS Chrome pkg.
Garage
The first time I encountered the wheel removal problem was when I took my "R" to Cal-Tire for new front tires. The manager removed the lug nuts and tried to pull the wheel off. Needless to say he didn't try for very long. He left momentarily and when he returned he had a piece of 2X4 about 4 feet long and an 8 pound sledge. I got a little excited and ask what he intended to do, he laughed and said don't worry, many vehicles use a hub flange to center the wheel, others use specific diameter lug nuts to center the wheel. He laid the 2X4 on edge on the ground against the tire with the tire just off the ground, and with one moderate smack the wheel came loose, the rim was never in jeopardy. That was most likely the first time the wheel had ever been off as the truck only had 25,000 miles and the inner block on both tires were showing excessive wear and some exposed cord. A wheel alignment check was performed and the alignment was only 3% off factory specks so I'll be getting a lower radiator mount from simple engineering and new alignment with the camber and toein settings posted on this site. Perhaps the reinforcing plate to replace the Xbrace after that.
James Dean has a good suggestion with the never seize, however more is not always better, a little goes a long way.
James Dean and BlueStreak like this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 06:30 PM
ONE OWNER !!!!

My SSR:
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8XLr8r View Post
The first time I encountered the wheel removal problem was when I took my "R" to Cal-Tire for new front tires. The manager removed the lug nuts and tried to pull the wheel off. Needless to say he di dn't try for very long. He left momentarily and when he returned he had a piece of 2X4 about 4 feet long and an 8 pound sledge. I got a little excited and ask what he intended to do, he laughed and said don't worry, many vehicles use a hub flange to center the wheel, others use specific diameter lug nuts to center the wheel. He laid the 2X4 on edge on the ground against the tire with the tire just off the ground, and with one moderate smack the wheel came loose, the rim was never in jeopardy. That was most likely the first time the wheel had ever been off as the truck only had 25,000 miles and the inner block on both tires were showing excessive wear and some exposed cord. A wheel alignment check was performed and the alignment was only 3% off factory specks so I'll be getting a lower radiator mount from simple engineering and new alignment with the camber and toein settings posted on this site. Perhaps the reinforcing plate to replace the Xbrace after that.
James Dean has a good suggestion with the never seize, however more is not always better, a little goes a long way.
I had trouble getting the wheels off my Traiblazer the first time 10 years ago and put never seize on the hub flange one time and have never had a problem with it since and have summer and winter wheels for it. That one time has keep it from corroding all these years !!!!

Jim & Sherrie

James Dean & Misstadoo
"Blessings can be big or small, but be sure to count them all”
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 06:36 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Silver on Black TVS2300 supercharged FPR 6 speed 4:10 #23387
Garage
Amazing how unlike metals attract. I have an aluminum hitch with a stainless steel locking pin, and forgot to lube the pin a few years ago. The hitch was subjected to the usual winter conditions including salt, and by spring the pin was impossible to get off. I beat it, oiled it, used CLR on it, beat it some more, but that pin is permanently welded to the aluminum hitch.

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

00567 Slingshot May 04 - March 06
Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09
24092 Pac Blue Nov 07 - Oct 08
Sig #12 Aug 2008 - Aug 2010

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 07:33 PM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 6 sp. with 4.56 gears, ZR1 clutch, Edelbrock intake, Lunati cam, Crane rockers, C6 modified pan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flassh View Post
Amazing how unlike metals attract. I have an aluminum hitch with a stainless steel locking pin, and forgot to lube the pin a few years ago. The hitch was subjected to the usual winter conditions including salt, and by spring the pin was impossible to get off. I beat it, oiled it, used CLR on it, beat it some more, but that pin is permanently welded to the aluminum hitch.
Try some heat on that aluminum hitch. Get it to the right temp and you should be able to drive the pin out.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough."

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 07:46 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Location: Roselle, Illinois This is located NW of Chicago about 25 miles.

My SSR:
2006 Black with running boards and chrome package. Have added items from Florida and Texas.
Having the same problem several years ago was solved by loosening the lug nuts by a couple of turns and took the vehicle out on the street
driving it about 10 mph and hit the brakes. Then took the SSR back in the garage to remove the wheel with no fuss. Needless to say anti-seize
was the order of the day around the hub that makes contact with the wheel. LAZY ONE
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 07:54 PM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZY ONE View Post
Having the same problem several years ago was solved by loosening the lug nuts by a couple of turns and took the vehicle out on the street
driving it about 10 mph and hit the brakes. Then took the SSR back in the garage to remove the wheel with no fuss. Needless to say anti-seize
was the order of the day around the hub that makes contact with the wheel. LAZY ONE
Personally, I'm not real comfortable with this method, as you're shocking the studs in a shear direction. Considering the weight of our rides this isn't the best approach.
BlueStreak and TXNSSR like this.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 07:30 AM
RedHotSSR
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Redline 2004 Purchased 2011 41,000 mi.
Exclamation Heads UP

OK Newbies/ and ALL owners Just another reason to read the Forum every day. The take away here is check this out BEFORE there is a need to remove the tire on the road or in a shop where the guy trying to take the tire off doesn't damage your rim.

Oh and I always apply a fresh coat of High Temp, grease to the wheel studs and the back side of the rim. Easy on and off after that for 7 years.
shakatak likes this.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 08:34 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
04 Silver/Race Stripes 4:10 gears tuned at 130mph lowered 2"
Side note! Don't put air impact on lug nut unless it has adjustable torque.

It is recommended that you or shop HAND torque lug nuts to 100lbs.

Rims are cast and will crack. Early SSR problems where "cracked" rims.

At that time there were plenty of rims around which is not the case anymore.

Alignment Specs.

Caster 4.25 +/- 0.5 Set to max and equal both sides

Cross Caster 0.0 +/- 0.3

Camber -0.5 +/- 0.5
(CHANGE CAMBER TO ZERO (0)

Toe +0.1 +/- 0.2
(CHANGE TOE TO ZERO (0)

Change Camber to 0 and change Toe to 0 to eliminate inner scuffing.

Wheel lug nut torque 110 lbs MAXIMUM.

Dicktator
James Dean and Gr8XLr8r like this.

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 08:43 AM
Ret. Air Force

My SSR:
Mazzy, 04 Silver, Custom Side Pipes, Flames on Doors, and One Sweet Looking @$$!!
Garage
I feel bad for Gooberdick (funny name to say out loud)...
...he asked ONE QUESTION...2 years and 8 months ago!!

I guess he can finally get that wheel off the R now (along with @edbudvig )!!

..."We live in fame or go down in flame."
(Hey! Nothing can stop the U.S. Air Force!!)

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 09:04 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Yes, I saw that Alex aka CruDawg but we were really answering "edbudvig" who revived the question.

We went by Warren Robins last week to spend Thanksgiving with my Daughter near Columbia, SC, sorry didn't have time to stop.

Maybe next time.

Dicktator
CruDawg likes this.

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 09:09 AM
Ret. Air Force

My SSR:
Mazzy, 04 Silver, Custom Side Pipes, Flames on Doors, and One Sweet Looking @$$!!
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicktator View Post
...We went by Warren Robins last week to spend Thanksgiving with my Daughter near Columbia, SC, sorry didn't have time to stop....
Totally understand you not wanting to stop...last time you did, it cost you a water pump!!!

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:03 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
Torque specs are based on dry threads. Lubricants on the threads can reduce torque readings up to 40%. I learned from a millwright to Never lubricate bolts or studs that require critical consistent torque specs. Can lead to bolt stretching, breaking or damage to the bolted parts. If you are concerned about corrosion apply a light coating of penetrant and wipe it dry. Penetrant has very little lubricity.
Clean the threads thoroughly. Ok to put some grease around the hub to prevent the wheel from sticking.
SSReplay likes this.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:23 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbaehr View Post
Torque specs are based on dry threads. Lubricants on the threads can reduce torque readings up to 40%. I learned from a millwright to Never lubricate bolts or studs that require critical consistent torque specs. Can lead to bolt stretching, breaking or damage to the bolted parts. If you are concerned about corrosion apply a light coating of penetrant and wipe it dry. Penetrant has very little lubricity.
Clean the threads thoroughly. Ok to put some grease around the hub to prevent the wheel from sticking.
Thanks! Good advice.

Dicktator
SJA likes this.

post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 03:29 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
'04 red
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruDawg View Post
I feel bad for Gooberdick (funny name to say out loud)...
...he asked ONE QUESTION...2 years and 8 months ago!!

I guess he can finally get that wheel off the R now (along with @edbudvig )!!
Especially if you were to use it in a sentence and have to pause to sneeze or something like.
CruDawg's Gooberdick-------achoo---and Wolfpackers friend.

Always check relays
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 05:25 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
This is another case of if you think you'll ever have to do it, the first time would best be in your driveway on a pleasant afternoon, rather than 3 AM, on the road, in a storm, when your passenger has to pee real bad.

From the net...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	torque1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	537707   Click image for larger version

Name:	torque2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	537709  

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 08:34 PM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotSSR View Post
OK Newbies/ and ALL owners Just another reason to read the Forum every day. The take away here is check this out BEFORE there is a need to remove the tire on the road or in a shop where the guy trying to take the tire off doesn't damage your rim.

Oh and I always apply a fresh coat of High Temp, grease to the wheel studs and the back side of the rim. Easy on and off after that for 7 years.
Once again, lube on the wheel center hole is good, but lube on the back side of the wheel is counter productive. You want a clean dry connection between the wheel and the rotor, for best rotational grip and least stress on the studs!

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 08:37 PM
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Quote:
On the money!

post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:07 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
This is another case of if you think you'll ever have to do it, the first time would best be in your driveway on a pleasant afternoon, rather than 3 AM, on the road, in a storm, when your passenger has to pee real bad.

From the net...
Bruce, Thanks for posting that. I use the rule of thumb of -30%, then retorque after a few heat cycles. If dry no retorque is needed.

I still don't recommend lube on wheel studs. The lube leads to inconsistent torque on each stud and torquing to lower levels will require re-torque after a few drive cycles which most people will forget to do. Best to torque dry. Since we can not rotate our tires, make it a habit to pull the wheels, clean them and lube the hub every oil change otherwise you may not get the wheel off when you really need to.
Greg

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 11:02 PM
Daily Driver

My SSR:
'06- Silver/Copper- 121421
I also read if you do lube threads 10W40 is the most consistent for progressive strain as you increase torque, whereas anti-seize is the worst causing disproportionate strain as the torque increases.

Often wrong...... but never in doubt.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 06:19 AM
Ret. Air Force

My SSR:
Garage
Quote:
... Penetrant has very little lubricity...
You gotta hand it to Greg; only people who are really up on their tribology should use the word "lubricity" in a sentence!!
Texasbaehr likes this.

post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 09:38 AM
RedHotSSR
Supporting Member

My SSR:
Redline 2004 Purchased 2011 41,000 mi.
Thumbs up Excellent Point.

Preventive maintenance, and replacement of known to be problem OEM parts e.g. "Shift Cable BUSHINGS" will save you a lot of GREEF, especially from the wife. Get to it NOW and keep that Permagrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post

From the net...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > Wheel and Tire Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in