31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 aqua blur
Wheel finish

One of my chrome wheels was damaged during tire replacement and alignment. The replacement wheel has s very nice chrome finish, but lacks the acid etching or powder coating accent inside the spokes. Does anyone know of a wheel repair company that might be able to duplicate the effect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 04:30 PM
Ex SoCal Nut
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
Striping by Fairfield, Confidence by Mike in AZ
you have the OEM chrome wheels. the ones with the chrome all the way thru the spokes are most likely aftermarket chrome. shop for only OEM chrome wheels to match what you have. (you Do have other options)..... Your choice as t which way to go....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Red Cat's Fan Club

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 04:58 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
One of my chrome wheels was damaged during tire replacement and alignment. The replacement wheel has s very nice chrome finish, but lacks the acid etching or powder coating accent inside the spokes. Does anyone know of a wheel repair company that might be able to duplicate the effect?
Is this a recent replacement? Have you accepted it as a replacement or just as temporary until an acceptable replacement can be found? There are OEM wheels available but you need to know where to go looking. I do not believe there is anyone making the chrome rims into OEM style. Is it a front or rear that you are looking for?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 aqua blur
I already have the wheel as a replacement. It was listed as OEM and the pictures looked OK, but could not see inside the spokes.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 07:55 PM
Ex SoCal Nut

My SSR:
Striping by Fairfield, Confidence by Mike in AZ
you have aftermarket chromed wheel

Red Cat's Fan Club

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 07:19 AM

My SSR:
2006 #107 of 199 Smokin Asphalt FPR's bought 6-18-2014; Kathy's '04 Ultra Violet Bought 2-1-'17
Garage
I noticed Kathy's '04 had one wheel that the inside of the spoke, at the far back, was shiny, not grey looking like the other 3. I figured maybe a re-chrome job in the past. Not noticeable unless you get on the ground and look.

Nick

Nick '06 Smokin Asphalt FPR & Kathy '04 Ultra Violet
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 05:34 PM
Ralph and Ruth

My SSR:
'04 Smokin' Asphalt, #13443, tuned by Joe Delano
Garage
Acetone

I was told by a fellow SSR Fanatic that if I took a rag saturated with acetone that the grey will wipe off of my chrome rims and I could have all chrome rims. I tried it on a small area, and he was correct. I thought that by the time that I got the grey off of all four rims I would be too old to drive.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest View Post
I was told by a fellow SSR Fanatic that if I took a rag saturated with acetone that the grey will wipe off of my chrome rims and I could have all chrome rims. I tried it on a small area, and he was correct. I thought that by the time that I got the grey off of all four rims I would be too old to drive.
Not to mention Ralph you would surely be impaired from inhaling all those acetone fumes.
Quest likes this.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 12:20 PM

My SSR:
2006 Blue over Primer'd Bondo FPR 6spd #23424 slapped together 2/22/06
C'mon guys this is simple.

I removed my wheels one at a time and sprayed the gray insides and spokes with a liberal amount of aerosol paint stripper.

I let them sit for about 20 minutes and rinsed them with a hose. No more ugly gray paint. It flaked right off. Easy peasy, no rubbing, no buffing.

I did wipe the insides with chrome polish just to finish the job, like you would cleaning any rim...but it wasn't even necessary.

The rims look a million times better with the insides chrome and are much easier to clean.

This is about as simple of a mod you can do to these trucks.
Jersey red likes this.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 12:29 PM

My SSR:
2006 Black 6spd
Before and after pics? 🙂
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 12:50 PM

My SSR:
Well, after I stripped mine to chrome a year or so later I had the chrome innards finished with transparent see-through sparkly blue powdercoat.

There are a few pics on this site though...just have to search. I always hated the flat gray insides that stained with dirt and crap. Especially hated the way the gray went halfway up the spokes then just stopped. It looked like they were trying to save chrome and being cheap. But, they are fully chromed under there and look great.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 01:11 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
BlueBelle
ggoat!!!, what spray on paint remover did you use?

Thanks

FROM THE HOME OF THE MERMAIDS

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 03:02 PM

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiles Sport Roadster View Post
ggoat!!!, what spray on paint remover did you use?

Thanks
This is the best paint remover I've used. It isn't environmentally friendly...which is why it works. I think it has methanol in it. It'll remove your skin if you let it.

I used to joke that it should be called "face remover" because if you sprayed an assailant in the face you'd stop them in their tracks and their face would melt off hahahaha. It's cheap and I got it at Wal-Mart. I've used it for decades. Not on people's faces, BTW.

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 03:32 PM

My SSR:
I found a picture of a stripped all-chrome wheel. It's not the best picture, but you can see how nice and shiny the spokes and innards are compared to the dirty flat primer gray of the factory wheel.

Wheel finish-sscn4064.jpg
mikebike, nj6969 and Jersey red like this.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 05:15 PM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
If you are going to use paint stripper then you better get it now. I saw on another forum that the EPA is banning use of Methylene Cloride.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
05 aqua blur
Found someone to paint the grey accents in the spokes of the new wheel. I like the accents. Interesting the person doing the work thought the accents might actually be overspray from an automated system used to paint the back of the factory wheel.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 03:26 PM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Wow! I learned something today. After polishing the chrome wheels on our new R I was wondering why the inner part of the spokes were painted. Thought it was a lousy chrome job or something.

So there's chrome under there?

The photo of the "full-chrome" wheel looks pretty nice. I may just have to invest in some toxic chemicals!

Thanks to all for the teaching moment.
ggoat!!! and Jersey red like this.

Cheers,

Rich

post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 06:57 PM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Wow! I learned something today. After polishing the chrome wheels on our new R I was wondering why the inner part of the spokes were painted. Thought it was a lousy chrome job or something.

The photo of the "full-chrome" wheel looks pretty nice. I may just have to invest in some toxic chemicals!

Beware of stripping the chrome off the barrels..... you will find that the original chrome at Speedline Wheels (OEM supplier) did not do a very complete job of chroming. When I stripped the paint off my OEM wheels, I found a couple places that only had copper plating on the barrel..... kinda behind one spoke on each wheel. Must have been their chroming process. I'm sure this is why GM painted them.

Mike
Jersey red likes this.

One of the "Blues Brothers"

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 07:27 PM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
Beware of stripping the chrome off the barrels..... you will find that the original chrome at Speedline Wheels (OEM supplier) did not do a very complete job of chroming. When I stripped the paint off my OEM wheels, I found a couple places that only had copper plating on the barrel..... kinda behind one spoke on each wheel. Must have been their chroming process. I'm sure this is why GM painted them.

Mike

Ah, good to know. Finding that out would be upsetting for sure.
Jersey red likes this.

Cheers,

Rich

post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 08:49 PM

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post

Mike
Wow! Never heard of that happening. Might have been a fluke. The chrome on mine on the innards was almost the same quality and definitely nearly as thick as on the face.

Anyhow, I still think it's worth it. I'd rather have ok quality chrome than that hideous gray primer type paint that gets stained...not to mention difficult to clean.

Watch out when the tire shops scratch the hell out of that gray paint when they pry off the old weights with a sharp screwdriver. Talk about ugly...
Jersey red likes this.
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:49 PM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoat!!! View Post
Wow! Never heard of that happening. Might have been a fluke. The chrome on mine on the innards was almost the same quality and definitely nearly as thick as on the face.

Anyhow, I still think it's worth it. I'd rather have ok quality chrome than that hideous gray primer type paint that gets stained...not to mention difficult to clean.

Watch out when the tire shops scratch the hell out of that gray paint when they pry off the old weights with a sharp screwdriver. Talk about ugly...

Hmmmm... might be worth trying in one or two spokes on a couple of wheels to start? Or, go big or go home?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jersey red likes this.

Cheers,

Rich

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 07:51 AM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
BlueBelle
ggoat!!!, Thanks for the stripper suggestion!

It works great!

Unfortunately, I found the crappy chroming job on both of my rear wheels!!!!!!
ggoat!!! and Jersey red like this.

FROM THE HOME OF THE MERMAIDS

post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:58 PM

My SSR:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiles Sport Roadster View Post
ggoat!!!, Thanks for the stripper suggestion!

It works great!

Unfortunately, I found the crappy chroming job on both of my rear wheels!!!!!!
It's Mike's fault! He jinxed you!!!!!!

Jersey red likes this.
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 02:04 PM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoat!!! View Post
It's Mike's fault! He jinxed you!!!!!!

Jersey red likes this.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 02:57 PM
SJA
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Silver with 126,000 mi. s#4B109910
Wink wheel finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post

Being intrigued on this post, I just finished my first wheel. I had both aircraft stripper & lacquer thinner in the garage, so I decided to try the lacquer thinner first. Apparently the dull gray paint referred to is a lacquer because it came off fairly easy with the lacquer thinner. I found that by using a non scuff green pad helped the process. One wheel done in 20 minutes & big improvement.

"SJA"
nj6969 and Jersey red like this.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 03:16 PM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJA View Post
Being intrigued on this post, I just finished my first wheel. I had both aircraft stripper & lacquer thinner in the garage, so I decided to try the lacquer thinner first. Apparently the dull gray paint referred to is a lacquer because it came off fairly easy with the lacquer thinner. I found that by using a non scuff green pad helped the process. One wheel done in 20 minutes & big improvement.

"SJA"

Sweet!

Think Iíll give it a try, but Iím still just a little hesitant. Why did GM do this? Itís not like the chrome wheel was some kind of new technology. Was there a specific purpose? Is there some kind of long-term protection? Just corner cutting?

Then Iíd hate to expose a less than quality chrome job.

Seems like a majority of folks here are quite happy with the results though.

So it sounds like lacquer thinner is the way to go. Less toxic thatís for sure.

Thanks SJA! Let us know how it goes with the other wheels and if youíre still happy with the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jersey red likes this.

Cheers,

Rich

post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:54 PM
My First Permagrin !

My SSR:
05 #18193 chrome wheels ,carpet kit , boards , gauge pack , sc tuner and a ton of mikes stuff
Garage
Hi Everyone .
This is what it looks like after stripping the paint off my wheels .
Just like @Mike in AZ found on his SSR .
I used lacquer thinner and 0000 steel wool , gloves and a well vented garage . Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9CD6CABE-6B56-4757-A47E-E31E594BCF1C_1557373788770.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	547235   Click image for larger version

Name:	6A8EF804-6457-48AB-91AC-86378A43E14E_1557373838318.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	547237  
richsadams likes this.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:01 PM
My First Permagrin !

My SSR:
05 #18193 chrome wheels ,carpet kit , boards , gauge pack , sc tuner and a ton of mikes stuff
Garage
Some more pics .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AF31F68D-658B-461D-B6E9-6580C47E73ED_1557374400876.jpg
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	547239   Click image for larger version

Name:	6A1520B2-6B6F-4535-89F5-94CC941F2070_1557374430470.jpg
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	547241   Click image for larger version

Name:	1641C850-121B-40C7-9E09-2464303F153D_1557374463076.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	547243   Click image for larger version

Name:	18E2DACA-F70B-41B6-B351-C05852B947F9_1557374490737.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	547245  
richsadams likes this.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 12:54 PM

My SSR:
Even with the blemish whoops I mean character mark it looks WAAAAAY better than that stock flat dirty gray primer.
Jersey red and richsadams like this.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 12:56 PM
SSR Believer
Supporting Member

My SSR:
'05 Aqua Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey red View Post
Some more pics .
Waaaayyy better!
Jersey red likes this.

Cheers,

Rich

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > Wheel and Tire Tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in