3Likes
  • 2 Post By BlueStreak
  • 1 Post By Texasbaehr

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

My SSR:
2003 Redline Red
Backup Camera installation

Hey Guys, I've decided to DIY a rear camera on my 03 SSR. However I'm having some difficulty... I can not seam to find a easy way to run the wire from the rearview mirror monitor to the backup camera. Can anyone out there help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 01:42 PM
Ret. Air Force
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
Mazzy, 04 Silver, Custom Side Pipes, Flames on Doors, and One Sweet Looking @$$!!
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmo1 View Post
Hey Guys, I've decided to DIY a rear camera on my 03 SSR. However I'm having some difficulty... I can not seam to find a easy way to run the wire from the rearview mirror monitor to the backup camera. Can anyone out there help?
No easy way that I know of. @Dragon2U and I had to get under the R and run wires (zip tying all the way) up into the cab to connect it to my monitor. Maybe he can help a little more if he can see that he has a mention (which he doesn't typically look for).

We also put in a separate On/Off switch, which is NOT tied to reversing the vehicle. I can turn it on and off whenever I want. My monitor is not tied into my radio, I have the stock radio and a separate back up monitor. You can email if you need more details [email protected]

..."We live in fame or go down in flame."
(Hey! Nothing can stop the U.S. Air Force!!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 01:57 PM
SoCal Nut/SuperModerator

My SSR:
#23198 06Blue 3SS #375/532-BOD 12/21/05, got it 9/5/06 & #21474 #29/532-BOD 8/24/05, got it 12/1/15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmo1 View Post
From the rear of the vehicle you can run up the frame on the passenger side to a drain plug under the passenger seat area. from there under the carpet and into the are behind the kick panel, up behind the dash and into the A pillar to get to the header above the windshield and over to the mirror. The path is there but it is not an easy one. Information for removing panels can be found in Dicktator's OneDrive DIY section. You just have to look for the items in the area you are trying to access.
Good luck.
mikebike and CruDawg like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Therapy is Expensive Wind is Cheap
One of the Blues Brothers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 02:06 PM
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
From the rear of the vehicle you can run up the frame on the passenger side to a drain plug under the passenger seat area. from there under the carpet and into the are behind the kick panel, up behind the dash and into the A pillar to get to the header above the windshield and over to the mirror. The path is there but it is not an easy one. Information for removing panels can be found in Dicktator's OneDrive DIY section. You just have to look for the items in the area you are trying to access.
Good luck.
I used the same plug. Run the pass seat all the way forward (after removing your cupholder) and pull up carpet to find the plug. I sliced an X in the plug with a utility knife, pulled the wire through then re-sealed with Silicone when I was done. I popped off the pass side inner sill cover and ran the wire under that with the other wire harness and behind the kick panel to the dash.
Greg
CruDawg likes this.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 02:25 PM
Ret. Air Force

My SSR:
Mazzy, 04 Silver, Custom Side Pipes, Flames on Doors, and One Sweet Looking @$$!!
Garage
I knew the smart guys would come along soon.
Way to go: @Texasbaehr and @BlueStreak

..."We live in fame or go down in flame."
(Hey! Nothing can stop the U.S. Air Force!!)

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 02:53 PM

My SSR:
2004 Redline Red
Are you replacing the rear view mirror? or using one of those clip over monitors? If so why not just replace the head unit instead? Pretty easy once you get the bolts out of the airbag (of which 2 you never put back in). You get a better monitor and all sorts of better goodies then the stock head unit offers.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 03:03 PM
SSR Pit Crew

Location: Trinity, Florida (Winter), Caledonia, Michigan (Summer)

My SSR:
06 Pacific Blue W/Chrome Package
I ran my wire from the camera, along the top of the drivers side frame, tie wrapped the wire to the factory wiring, made a small opening in the rubber seal by the power brake booster in the engine compartment and then on to the radio.
In your case run the wire up the drivers side inside windshield trim, then right to the mirror.

With all this help - you now need to choose what works for you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > Customization and Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in