post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
SSR Pit Crew
Supporting Member

My SSR:
2005 Ricochet Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firetruck View Post
I like it but how do you get back in to open the hood with the battery disconnected?
I keep the SSR in covered storage while on travel so I don't worry about rain. I open the door and let the windows index down, then secure the battery power so the windows don't index up when the door closes. The windows are down just enough to clear the rubber strip. Can't really tell when the door is closed. A bit of a risk that I'm willing to accept. The parking is gated and has on-site security.

Carl
Groceryman101 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:45 AM
SSR Pit Crew
Lifetime Supporting Member

Location: North Eastern Pennsylvania where it's seldom topless weather.

My SSR:
'05 Smokin Asphalt, 6 speed
Just used to illustrate the idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbush View Post
This looks like a great solution; however, this item has relatively poor reviews on Amazon, only about 50% positive. Most complaints are poor quality construction and high failure rate. When I checked the manufacturer's (WirthCo) website, it says that this is "discontinued" ... hmmm, but still available on Amazon and Autozone.
That is not the panel I have several of. It was just the first one I found in a search. There are seemingly limitless options, with some having much higher wattage ratings. A couple I have are several years old. John Deere starts immediately after sitting outside all winter! Still less invasive than a switch installation, with resultant memory loss......
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:22 AM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
One other thing about battery shut off switches. They are rated for the amperage draw on them. And they are like anything else they make good ones and they make cheap ones. We are required to have them on race cars and I have seen more than one person have them fail at the worse possible time. So if buying one spend the extra and get a good one. Two suppliers I have used and never a problem are Moroso and Flaming River.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:40 PM
SSR Overseas, Ireland,
Lifetime Supporting Member

My SSR:
One of orginal 69WD 1 pilots 2003 with custom paint job for SEMA 2004. red top, black lower
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoprof View Post
Maybe you should consider rewiring the power accessory outlets to a key power source
see how I did it here

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/...easily-249553/

You could still use the solar panel @Patton Road SSR suggested but you would have to connect it to the cigarette lighter in the ashtray.

On this suggestion of trickle charging I think it is better than isolation switches. In my opinion isolation switches are fine in older vehicles ( pre computer management chips and airbags ) but not on more recent vehicles. I have a 2007 Jaguar that I park up for the winter and and simply disconnected battery. I had huge issues with electrics when I went to reconnect power. Silly things like air bag light could not be reset, ended up have to buy new airbag module as there is a little battery in airbag that ran down and is not serviceable. So I now have trickle chargers on everything when parked in garage and not in use. I think the solar power panel is a suitable option for airport parking.

Going flat out !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > Customization and Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in