2Likes
  • 1 Post By Flassh
  • 1 Post By Mike in AZ

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Dafaddasssr
Lifetime Supporting Member

Supercharger or Turbo?

I have an LS 2 engine. Which would people recommend and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 05:38 PM

My SSR:
2004 in Black and now 2005 in Black, what a pair
Depends on what your end goal is. Just to add some more horsepower and enjoy the ride, then I would say Super charger because they are already built in kit form for the SSR. Out right horsepower nut or going to race it. Then turbo chargers. Turbos will take more work and the engine bay is already tight but it can be done.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:54 PM
BAD BOW TIE

My SSR:
05 Slingshot Yellow,Built 1-24-05,VIN120035,INDY500 Track/Festival/Parade Truck #32 of 74
If you only change one thing you get what you get. Need to change things as a package not just force more air into the engine. GM left about 50 horsepower on the shop room floor because the SSR had to pass smog in all 50 states. In addition to the supercharger or turbo you should address the fuel in and exhaust out along with a Super tune to adjust everything to work in unison. Change shift points etc. May even need to change cam. Some times if you only do one thing it actually runs worse and you tamper with reliability. Need to talk to a speed shop person or persons to get the most bang for your buck. Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

God Bless and Keep on Truckin,
Auggie Doggie <><
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 09:08 PM
SSR Pit Crew

My SSR:
Silver on Black TVS2300 supercharged FPR 6 speed 4:10 #23387
Garage
I put a Magnuson TVS 2300 supercharger on mine 3 years ago. Supercharger and tune were supplied by Joe Delano at Left Coast 32. I did all the installation myself, and only ran into a couple of challenging times. I upgraded the throttle body at the same time.

The difference in performance was substantial, considering no exhaust upgrades were done. I broke the motor last fall, nothing to do with the supercharger, so had the motor rebuilt this winter. Everything except the block and crank was upgraded, including an LS9 cam from a supercharged ZR1.

Reinstalling it now but still resisted the temptation to add headers. I've got a great exhaust system, and adding headers would have meant a lot of rebuilding, and tossing much of the exhaust system. Also have seen a lot of follow up issues with headers, including burning wiring and power steering hoses. I'll live with whatever performance is lost on the exhaust side.

Talk to Joe at LC32. He is now supplying supercharger packages with the TVS 1900. It is smaller than the 2300, eliminating the need to pound back the firewall to clear the rear pulleys. Joe is great to work with, and has steered me through any installation difficulties.

Because of distances, I purchased a HP Scanner software package so Joe could remote tune my truck with me supplying scans, and Joe returning tunes by email. If I can do it, it can be done. If you're not comfortable doing the installation and tuning, find a hot rod shop that will work with you. If you're within range of southern California, LC32 is the place to go to. In Arizona, Mike in AZ is the man to talk to regarding an installation.
Auggie Doggie likes this.

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

00567 Slingshot May 04 - March 06
Sig #23 May 07 - Sept 09
24092 Pac Blue Nov 07 - Oct 08
Sig #12 Aug 2008 - Aug 2010

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 10:41 PM
HobbyBob

My SSR:
2005 slingshot,pinstriped/flame detail,OBX Long Headers,Mike's front plate, core supp, fan BORN9/14
The supercharger is a much neater installation.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 06:39 AM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
The new Magnuson TVS-1900 kit is a complete package that is a bolt-on. It takes between 15 and 30 man hours to install, depending on how detailed (anal) you want to be on the wiring harness and other ancillary bits of the installation. The result is about a 30-35% increase in power out of the box. Joe Delano at Left Coast 32 is the focal point (per agreement with Magnuson) for all Magnuson SSR installations. Joe is also the guru of SSR tuning with Magnuson super chargers. Nobody in the country has tuned more Magnuson S/C SSRs than Joe..... period.

The TVS-2300 that Joe and I put on my SSR in 2011 yielded a solid 500 HP at the rear wheels. This is without any engine modification beyond the blower install and a free-flowing exhaust system downstream of the stock exhaust manifolds. The new TVS-1900 will yield similar results. Because it has such a great flow efficiency map, it is actually a better fit for the stock LS2. The 1900 is also a better fit for the 5.3 than the earlier Magnuson supercharger models (MP-112 and 122 are out of production).

In contrast....... Procharger and all turbocharger installation is up to the installer to create from scratch. There are no packaged “kits” available and all tuning is one-off custom by whatever shop does the install. Power output of the turbocharged installation is only limited by cash flow.

My two cents,

Mike
BSTPAPA likes this.

One of the "Blues Brothers"

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 06:11 PM

My SSR:
2004 Slingshot / Slightly modified
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
The new Magnuson TVS-1900 kit is a complete package that is a bolt-on. It takes between 15 and 30 man hours to install, depending on how detailed (anal) you want to be on the wiring harness and other ancillary bits of the installation. The result is about a 30-35% increase in power out of the box. Joe Delano at Left Coast 32 is the focal point (per agreement with Magnuson) for all Magnuson SSR installations. Joe is also the guru of SSR tuning with Magnuson super chargers. Nobody in the country has tuned more Magnuson S/C SSRs than Joe..... period.

The TVS-2300 that Joe and I put on my SSR in 2011 yielded a solid 500 HP at the rear wheels. This is without any engine modification beyond the blower install and a free-flowing exhaust system downstream of the stock exhaust manifolds. The new TVS-1900 will yield similar results. Because it has such a great flow efficiency map, it is actually a better fit for the stock LS2. The 1900 is also a better fit for the 5.3 than the earlier Magnuson supercharger models (MP-112 and 122 are out of production).

In contrast....... Procharger and all turbocharger installation is up to the installer to create from scratch. There are no packaged “kits” available and all tuning is one-off custom by whatever shop does the install. Power output of the turbocharged installation is only limited by cash flow.

My two cents,

Mike
Great info Mike,
Are you at liberty to disclose pricing on the 2 units?
Bg
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:14 PM
Supporting SSR Hobbyist

My SSR:
"BLOWN06" Pac Blue #21661 Born 8/29/05
Quote:
Originally Posted by butchgetz View Post
Great info Mike,
Are you at liberty to disclose pricing on the 2 units?
Bg
The TVS-1900 is priced at $7650. The TVS-2300 is about the same, but requires a lot more man-hours labor to install.

Joe and I are installing the 1900 for $750 labor. Joe at his shop in Vista, California.... Me at my garage.

Here's a link to the thread:
https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f35...ilable-249247/

Regards,

Mike

One of the "Blues Brothers"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chevy SSR Forum > SSR Discussion > Customization and Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy SSR Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in