Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read that the o6 is a 5.3 0-60..............what is the 04's 0-60? :cool
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,926 Posts
That does sound correct.

The 05-06 with 6 speed will do the 1/4 mile in 13.89 seconds, which are very respectable numbers for a stock car.

I am shooting for mid 12 second runs with mine in March. There will be a private track day in March so I need to have everything finished by then, I do believe I am pretty close to my goal now. The 05 with MagnaCharger is so freakin fast, it throws you into the seat all the way to redline at 6500 rpm's and rips (not just a chirp) the tires loose everytime you shift 1st to 2nd.
 

·
Enjoying life as it comes
Joined
·
5,203 Posts
not mine

Clocked two separate times, by different people and came at 5.7 and 5.8 sec. 0-60.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Fuzzy, Must be because your paint is so slick the amount of drag over the vehicle surface is greatly reduced :lol :lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,950 Posts
GUB said:
I just read that the o6 is a 5.3 0-60..............what is the 04's 0-60? :cool

The GM advertised 0-60 time for the 03-04's was 7.5, but mine did 6.5.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
904 Posts
2005SSR6Speed said:
That does sound correct.

The 05-06 with 6 speed will do the 1/4 mile in 13.89 seconds, which are very respectable numbers for a stock car.

I am shooting for mid 12 second runs with mine in March. There will be a private track day in March so I need to have everything finished by then, I do believe I am pretty close to my goal now. The 05 with MagnaCharger is so freakin fast, it throws you into the seat all the way to redline at 6500 rpm's and rips (not just a chirp) the tires loose everytime you shift 1st to 2nd.
Mid 12's are going to be hard, I have a 04 that runs 13.51 on pump gas, If I had the tires mabe 13.40, There is just nothing you can do about the weight
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
904 Posts
2005SSR6Speed said:
It wont be as hard as you think. Right now my SSR is as close to the stock straight line performance of my 2002 Z06 Vette. This LS2 revs so fast now with the supercharger.
Well good luck with it, Keep in mind, your trying to get over 4600 lbs down the 1/4 mile in less than 14 seconds. An automatic 3200 lb vette with 500 hp takes about 12.5 seconds, an automatic 3700 lb GTO with 500 HP takes about 12.7 seconds with 6.0 L engines! According to Lingenfelters,
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,926 Posts
Power to weight is what you need, (weight divided by crank HP) I am after a power to weight ratio of between 8-9 pounds per horsepower. With this I will easily get a mid 12 second pass. Right now the crank horsepower of my SSR is about 540 HP, assuming a 15% loss for powertrain. The SSR weights 4700 pounds so the power to weight ratio is 8.7 pounds per horsepower.

I dont understand why everyone is so down on the performance potential of the SSR. I assume it is due to the powerplant installed in the 03-04. The new LS2 engine is a great performer right off the showroom floor. I have only added the Supercharger and I am at 469.7 RWHP, I still need to do the Headers, Exhaust, Intake Mods, 4.11 Gears and the stickier tires.

I also have the 6 speed so drivtrain loss is a little less. I dont know where you are getting your times and horsepower figures from but they are off. Stock Z06 Vettes (405 HP) have run 11.99 here local at the drag strip before it closed, the factory even quoted 12.5. I would like to see the driving skills of someone that cannt break 11's in a 500 HP vette, they dont need to be at the track.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,926 Posts
The thing to consider is the power to weight ratios as listed below:

Stock 03-04 = 15.66 pounds per horsepower

Stock 05-06 = 12.05 pounds per horsepower

Supercharged (540 HP) 05-06 = 8.70 pounds per horsepower

2002 (405 HP) Z06 Vette = 8.14 pounds per horsepower

The way I figure it will only take between 30-40 HP or a slight reduction in weight to be at the power to weight ratio of the C5 Z06. I originally stated that I wanted the straight line performance I had with my Z06 combined with the good looks and trunk of the SSR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
904 Posts
2005SSR6Speed said:
Power to weight is what you need, (weight divided by crank HP) I am after a power to weight ratio of between 8-9 pounds per horsepower. With this I will easily get a mid 12 second pass. Right now the crank horsepower of my SSR is about 540 HP, assuming a 15% loss for powertrain. The SSR weights 4700 pounds so the power to weight ratio is 8.7 pounds per horsepower.

I dont understand why everyone is so down on the performance potential of the SSR. I assume it is due to the powerplant installed in the 03-04. The new LS2 engine is a great performer right off the showroom floor. I have only added the Supercharger and I am at 469.7 RWHP, I still need to do the Headers, Exhaust, Intake Mods, 4.11 Gears and the stickier tires.

I also have the 6 speed so drivtrain loss is a little less. I dont know where you are getting your times and horsepower figures from but they are off. Stock Z06 Vettes (405 HP) have run 11.99 here local at the drag strip before it closed, the factory even quoted 12.5. I would like to see the driving skills of someone that cannt break 11's in a 500 HP vette, they dont need to be at the track.
They are not my numbers they are Lingenfelters, They do a lot of engine changes, But take it for what it is worth, It is not mine, You are talking to the wrong person when you say you don't know why everyone is down on the performance of the SSR, What do you think I had to do to get my 04 to run 13.51, I have raced it most the summer and not much left to do to mine other than try and find some tires and good luck on finding 20 inch tires that bite, I mean it I hope you get your SSR in the mid 12's and wish you lived close so I could race you, It would look sweet to see two SSR on the line
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,926 Posts
Yes it would be great to see 2 SSR's lined up. You could always come out to California, we have a close 1/8 mile but the 1/4 miles strips are now about 60 miles away. The guys over on performance trucks dot net have another private track day in March. I want to get everything done to mine before then so I can use the track day to dial it all in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
904 Posts
2005SSR6Speed said:
Yes it would be great to see 2 SSR's lined up. You could always come out to California, we have a close 1/8 mile but the 1/4 miles strips are now about 60 miles away. The guys over on performance trucks dot net have another private track day in March. I want to get everything done to mine before then so I can use the track day to dial it all in.
Boy wish my health would let me I would do it, We have one more day of racing here before they close the track, I am going to put some racing fuel in mine for the last race, Last week I won the finals with a 13.51 on a 13.50 dial in, I just told my wife who ever wins tonight has done something, I had to run 8 rounds to win, I can't bring my boost up without going up in smoke, I have a 10 T/C 2800 rpm and that helped me a lot but man $2700 to build up the tranny
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,926 Posts
The automatics can get real expensive. I learned my lesson on my 1992 Typhoon and my 2004 Silverado SS, too bad it wasnt as cheap as doing an old Powerglide, TH350 or 400. I love to shift through the gears so the best bet for me was to wait until the release of the 6 Speed and the new LS2. I am very happy with my SSR especially since the install of the Magnacharger.

I have plans to install Long Tube Headers, 3" True Dual Exhaust, 4.11 Gears, Hal QA1 shocks front/rear, sway bar disconnects for the front and some different wheels and tires. I might end up makeing some adjustable lower control arms to help dial it in on the strip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
904 Posts
Now that would do it, A little shot of juice, The guy that put my super charger on wants to put a nozzle right in front of my air intake to cool the charger but still some things I want to try, I think my fuel pump is geting to hot, To close to the cross over pipe and I never seen the pipes get so hot after putting headers on, I am not running as good as I should in 3rd. and it drives me crazy as I can't break the 100mph, I run 13.50 at 100, I run 14 flat at 100, I have nothing left on in the computer
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top