Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:seeya

Hello everyone.

I'm still without an SSR, but I keep looking for an '04. It's just a matter of making the $$ commitment and final decision.

Just a question about the gasoline used for the 5.3 Liter.
Can you just use "regular" unleaded ?? Any problems or ping ??

I plan to use it as a daily driver until the fall.

Thanks in advance. I really enjoy the Forum. :thumbs

Jim

·
Jeff & Terri
1,120 Posts
The owners manual states to use 87 octane, That is all I have ever used with out a problem.

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,210 Posts
Runnin 87

Been using 87 since I picked mine up March 2004. Last road trip got between 19.8 and 21.8 highway.
With wife driving it in town it's 15.4
With me driving in town 17.2
GOTTA GET HER TO QUIT STOPPING THE PEDAL OFF THE START EVERY TIME. i THNK SHE'S DRAG RACING EVERYONE AT EVERY CORNER.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have an 04 purchased in March of 05, as of today I have 1,580 miles. Regular unleaded is fine unless you buy and use some type of programer like the Diablosport Predator I used. Then you have the choice of picking which octane you want your "tune" to use. It just changes the timing to make it more agressive and have more advance if you want to burn premium unleaded. That's how most of the programers get their added horsepower & torque - ignition timing changes. Never experienced any detonation (pinging or knocking).

·
Registered
371 Posts
I started out using 93 octane until everyone here advised me I was wasting my money, so I switched to 87 octane with no problems at all, and I'm saving $$.

·
Registered
137 Posts
32000 miles on 87 octane. No problems.

·
West Coast Pit Crew
10,185 Posts
Supper

Use 93 in "Red" she stay's warm in the garage for long periods of time, only have a little over 4,000 mis since Oct 04. Have always used high oct. in things that are'nt used much SSR,Boat, Harley. more additives less gum up. Just my 2 cents. :thumbs

G

·
92 and above

87-89 octanes aren't worth the risk, usually low grade fuels are oxygenated or have more water vapor, I would stick with 92 & above

ask yourself, $ 40,000.00 toy whats an extra $ 5.00 per fill up????

·
Registered
579 Posts
91 for Me But Tuned

hpdjv said:
I have an 04 purchased in March of 05, as of today I have 1,580 miles. Regular unleaded is fine unless you buy and use some type of programer like the Diablosport Predator I used. Then you have the choice of picking which octane you want your "tune" to use. It just changes the timing to make it more agressive and have more advance if you want to burn premium unleaded. That's how most of the programers get their added horsepower & torque - ignition timing changes. Never experienced any detonation (pinging or knocking).

91 Octane for me but I have it tuned with the Jet Chip

:seeya E :seeya

Orange SSR :ssr

1 - 19 of 19 Posts