Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Boop Op A Doop
Joined
·
30,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had posted this info before but it may have gotten lost under the LCC thread. So I am going to post it again....

The service managers were wonderful to us when we were out in Lansing and fixed any and all problems we had and some we didn't know we had right there on the spot.

I did not know this until they looked at my retractable top.

I was missing a black cone shape plastic piece where the top meets and locks in to the windshield. I was told that these fall off and are sometimes not put back on after service is done to the top.

Inside the compartment for the retractable top on both sides of the hinges. We have two white square plastic pieces that sit on the hinge area (one on each side). These have also been known to fall off and land in the compartment area. Thus giving us rattling noises when the top is lifted and placed down. You can glue these back in place.

Fixes for these items are done on the 05/06 models. I was told that both of these items play apart for the noise reduction in the retractable top.

So all 03/04 models you may want to check yours.
 

·
Machell
Joined
·
20,829 Posts
Crap does anyone have pictures with or without???

Thanks for sharing this info!

The whole U shaped molding was replaced around the roof when I first bought it. Need something to look at!
 

·
Boop Op A Doop
Joined
·
30,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Missing Pieces

wildcat66 said:
Crap does anyone have pictures with or without???

Thanks for sharing this info!

The whole U shaped molding was replaced around the roof when I first bought it. Need something to look at!

Wildcat66 I am going to visit my SSR tomorrow or Tuesday. I'll have the digital camera with me and I'll take pictures of the two areas I am talking about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,950 Posts
hotrodgirl said:
I had posted this info before but it may have gotten lost under the LCC thread. So I am going to post it again....

The service managers were wonderful to us when we were out in Lansing and fixed any and all problems we had and some we didn't know we had right there on the spot.

I did not know this until they looked at my retractable top.

I was missing a black cone shape plastic piece where the top meets and locks in to the windshield. I was told that these fall off and are sometimes not put back on after service is done to the top.

Inside the compartment for the retractable top on both sides of the hinges. We have two white square plastic pieces that sit on the hinge area (one on each side). These have also been known to fall off and land in the compartment area. Thus giving us rattling noises when the top is lifted and placed down. You can glue these back in place.

Fixes for these items are done on the 05/06 models. I was told that both of these items play apart for the noise reduction in the retractable top.

So all 03/04 models you may want to check yours.
While you are mentioning those....you should also mention that the padding where the top rests when down can tear and get worn enough that it can start to have metal on metal contact....I've have my padding replaced once.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,950 Posts
JimGnitecki said:
WowFctr: I assume you mean padding on the SSR . . .:)

Jim G
:rolleyes:
 

·
Boop Op A Doop
Joined
·
30,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pictures

OK

I just returned from seeing my SSR. I took four photo's of the two areas I was talking about. If you need the pics larger I will be happy to e-mail them. PM me with your e-mail address. I picked the best two to dislay here.
 

Attachments

·
Jim-n-Tanya
Joined
·
1,354 Posts
Padding

I spoke with my service dude yesterday about those pieces and he said they are shipping pieces and they don't need to be in place. I showed him where they are and what position they move to and we tried to confirm they really needed to be there. The hindge piece basically rests on a rubber bumper and the cone piece allows alignment.

Any thought on all that?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,317 Posts
Nice pics, but now I see you have your work cut out for you HotRodgirl. That area where all that takes place is filthy. Tomorrow when you go back out to check, please clean up that dust, and other asundry.:jester
 

·
Boop Op A Doop
Joined
·
30,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SSR03 said:
I spoke with my service dude yesterday about those pieces and he said they are shipping pieces and they don't need to be in place. I showed him where they are and what position they move to and we tried to confirm they really needed to be there. The hindge piece basically rests on a rubber bumper and the cone piece allows alignment.

Any thought on all that?

All I know is the Service Advisor out at LCC said these needed to be there with the reasons as stated below. I don't think he would have called for service right away if that wasn't the case.
 

·
Boop Op A Doop
Joined
·
30,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Focks said:
Nice pics, but now I see you have your work cut out for you HotRodgirl. That area where all that takes place is filthy. Tomorrow when you go back out to check, please clean up that dust, and other asundry.:jester


Thanks Focks for pointing that out. My SSR is sitting in a silghty dusty enviroment right now. I won't be able to clean it until April. It has a cover but it is not form fitting one. I do have my work cut out for me when it gets back.
 

·
Machell
Joined
·
20,829 Posts
Those are great pictures!! I have the cone shapes, but I will check for the white piece. Thanks! How big is this pieces incase I have to replace it? What is it made of?
 

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
Joined
·
549 Posts
Both of these parts prevent rattles. They are not shipping parts. The white plastic is approximately 1"X1" UHMW polypropolyene. The bumper shown above it comes to rest on the white part with pressure. This bumper can be adjusted tighter, but it makes rattles if the white square is not there. The white square was a final assembly part when we started production. The roof was adjusted in a fixture before it was put in the truck. The white square put a set amount of tension in the system to prevent rattles when the truck was built without the guess of trying to adjust the bumper.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,638 Posts
freezer said:
Both of these parts prevent rattles. They are not shipping parts. The white plastic is approximately 1"X1" UHMW polypropolyene. The bumper shown above it comes to rest on the white part with pressure. This bumper can be adjusted tighter, but it makes rattles if the white square is not there. The white square was a final assembly part when we started production. The roof was adjusted in a fixture before it was put in the truck. The white square put a set amount of tension in the system to prevent rattles when the truck was built without the guess of trying to adjust the bumper.
Thanks for the info freezer. By the way what do you mean my "not shipping parts?"
 

·
Boop Op A Doop
Joined
·
30,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Shipping Pieces

SS My R said:
Thanks for the info freezer. By the way what do you mean my "not shipping parts?"
Quoted by SSR03- I spoke with my service dude yesterday about those pieces and he said they are shipping pieces and they don't need to be in place. I showed him where they are and what position they move to and we tried to confirm they really needed to be there. The hindge piece basically rests on a rubber bumper and the cone piece allows alignment.

Any thought on all that?
This is what they meant.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top