Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recieved a copy of the hardcover SSR book documenting the design and development of the vehicle. One chapter discusses the production of 25, 2003 Signature Series vehicles in the colour Ultraviolet. Each car has specific badging inside with the signatures of the major players involved with the development of the trucks. Were these the only genuine Signature Series vehicles produced? The reason I am asking is because a dealer up here in Ontario claims to have the first Canadian '03 SSR for sale which also contains interior badging with the signatures of Bob Lutz and Wayne Cherry and accompaning certificate of authenticity. The truck is Redline Red however. Is this particular vehicle unique? If it is, what kind of price premium would it command?

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Mmb......

Ask them for the last four of the VIN#.

P/P

Peace :flag

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I find it very hard to believe that as many people that are on this site with the inside track to GM, that we have never heard of this. It might be the 1st 03 but I doubt is is one of the 25 and maybe it has something special being the 1st Canadian SSR! Wish we could see pictures of the badge! Do they have a website?

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
If I recall correctly - there was a big deal made of the first SSR in Canada - it too was sold at auction - I Think. I'll google it and report back...

I originally posted in Sept 2003: http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136&highlight=canada
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just found:
Chevy SSR Sold to the Highest Bidder for $93,100
Chevy SSR and eBay.ca Motors present auction proceeds to the Canadian Cancer Society

TORONTO, Ontario (Monday, September 22, 2003) - The first Chevy SSR available for sale in Canada sold for $93,100 on eBay.ca Motors as part of a charity auction. Lee Munro of Paris, Ontario placed the highest bid on the Chevy SSR - buying one of the most highly anticipated new vehicles in Canada.

"I am truly ecstatic to have been a part of this auction - not only have I purchased one of the most unique cars in Canada, but I have also been able to help an extremely important charity," said Lee Munro, owner of Lee Munro Chevy Oldsmobile Ltd. "General Motors of Canada, eBay.ca and the Canadian Cancer Society have created an opportunity that is almost impossible for any car-lover to pass up."

"The Chevy SSR auction was a huge success and we are thrilled with the overwhelming bidding response," said Jennifer Dawkins, director of advertising for GM of Canada. "We would like to thank all Canadians that took part in the auction and helped generate the funds that will go to the Canadian Cancer Society."

The Chevy SSR was auctioned on eBay.ca Motors from September 5-15, 2003, with one hundred per cent of the auction proceeds being donated to the Canadian Cancer Society. The new Chevy SSR combines the muscle and eye-gripping looks of a performance roadster with the durability and space of a pick-up.

General Motors has a long history of supporting cancer-related causes and the Canadian Cancer Society. GM has contributed $250,000 toward helping the Society achieve its mission, and both GM and its employees have contributed almost $8 million to cancer causes in Canada over recent years."The Canadian Cancer Society is extremely appreciative of the funds raised by the Chevy SSR Auction," said Lesley Ring, national manager, corporate development, Canadian Cancer Society. "The generous auction proceeds will continue to support our efforts to fight our cause and make cancer history."To facilitate the auction process, GM has partnered with eBay.ca Motors, the world's largest and most experienced online marketplace for the sale of vehicles. Every month, millions of car dealers and consumers turn to eBay.ca Motors to buy and sell used cars, parts and accessories as well as other vehicles, collectibles and related items in a secure and cost-effective environment.

"The eBay.ca Motors website received a tremendous amount of visitors to the Chevy SSR page over the eleven-day auction period. As the number one visited automotive online property in Canada, we are happy to know that we played an instrumental role in providing access to the SSR for people across the country," said Jordan Banks, head of business and strategic development, eBay Canada.
-----------------------------------
TORONTO, Ontario - (Thursday, September 4, 2003) - General Motors of Canada announced today that it will hold the first ever eBay.ca Motors auction for a first available for sale vehicle in Canada, with one hundred per cent of the proceeds being donated to charity. The auction for the new Chevy SSR will take place from September 5-15, 2003 and all proceeds from the sale will be donated to the Canadian Cancer Society.

Combining the muscle and eye-gripping looks of a performance roadster with the durability and space of a pick-up, the SSR is one of the most highly anticipated new vehicles in Canada. With a limited release in the first year and demand for the SSR high, the auction gives all Canadian drivers the opportunity to get behind the wheel of their very own dream machine.

"The Chevy SSR is a truly innovative vehicle and we wanted to bring it to the Canadian market in a unique way," said Jennifer Dawkins, director of advertising for GM of Canada. "As a bonus, the auction also gives one Canadian the chance to be a cancer-fighting hero by helping a great cause. The donation of the first SSR continues GM's longstanding relationship with cancer-related causes."

General Motors has a long history of supporting cancer-related causes and the Canadian Cancer Society. GM has contributed $250,000 toward helping the Society achieve its mission, and both GM and its employees have contributed almost $8 million to cancer causes in Canada over recent years.

"The Canadian Cancer Society is thrilled to be a part of this innovative initiative. The proceeds raised from the SSR auction will support our efforts to fight cancer, " said Lesley Ring, national manager, corporate development, Canadian Cancer Society. "The Canadian Cancer Society could not continue to operate as one of Canada's leading health charities without the support of companies like General Motors."

To facilitate the auction process, GM has partnered with eBay.ca Motors, the world's largest and most experienced online marketplace for the sale of vehicles. Every month, millions of car dealers and consumers turn to eBay.ca Motors to buy and sell used cars, parts and accessories as well as other vehicles, collectibles and related items in a secure and cost-effective environment.

"As the number one visited automotive online property in Canada, eBay.ca Motors is very happy to help create excitement about the arrival of the SSR while generating national awareness and funds for a great cause," said Jordan Banks, head of business and strategic development, eBay Canada.

To learn more about the auction or to make a bid for the SSR, Canadians can simply visit www.ebay.ca/ChevySSR. From September 8 - 11, the SSR will be on display in Toronto at the Lower Level of the Exchange Tower at 130 King Street West.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the info kwopper89, this is the truck and this is the dealer (Lee Munro)selling it! I guess he has been sitting on the vehicle since he purchased it. Was originally listed in the high 60's CDN in the early summer. Price reduced to 49k CDN this week. Has approx. 4500km. on it.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
For certain, this was not a Signature Series vehicle. It sounds like the badge was a version of or duplicate of the Signature Series badges. The VIN is needed to know when it was built.

·
Registered
442 Posts
expensive autographs!

So, for the price of what some '06's and '05's are selling for new and untitled (with some h.p. and 6 speeds available) you can have a dustgathering '03 that is slow and used but has some autographs. Why do you buy automobiles? I suggest you consider what you may want the SSR for. If you think you can make money from a used '03, you are wrong. Look at the one IslandDreams is currently offering......... A new '04 just sold for under $30K. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
make mine blue said:
Was originally listed in the high 60's CDN in the early summer. Price reduced to 49k CDN this week. Has approx. 4500km. on it.
60.......................49.....................and it'll keep going down. :lurk

Just like what's happening with this SSR top>>> :ssr

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,616 Posts
Some Inside Feed Back

I got a this response back earlier today:

My recollection is that GM of Canada created a unique badge with the said signatures for the first delivered SSR in Canada. I will ask my Canadian counterpart to elaborate further.

The 25 Ultra Violet Signature Series units were indeed the first 25 SSR's, and were all US specified vehicles (emissions, clusters, etc). They have a unique option coed (WB9) and the 12th digit of the VIN has a '0' in it, whereas all other SSR's have a '1'. The 6th digits also have a '6', which is directly tied to the WB9 code. The last eight digits of these 25 units falls in the VIN Range 3B000001 - 3B000025. The first retail production VIN after the Signature Series was 3B100001.

Hope this helps.

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,827 Posts
marC

PLEASE ask your Canadian "counterpart", about import # per year into Canada. PLEASE buddy o pal! :grouphug

S

·
0 Posts
:ssr
make mine blue said:
I just recieved a copy of the hardcover SSR book documenting the design and development of the vehicle. One chapter discusses the production of 25, 2003 Signature Series vehicles in the colour Ultraviolet. Each car has specific badging inside with the signatures of the major players involved with the development of the trucks. Were these the only genuine Signature Series vehicles produced? The reason I am asking is because a dealer up here in Ontario claims to have the first Canadian '03 SSR for sale which also contains interior badging with the signatures of Bob Lutz and Wayne Cherry and accompaning certificate of authenticity. The truck is Redline Red however. Is this particular vehicle unique? If it is, what kind of price premium would it command?

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,616 Posts
Next week

REBEL said:
PLEASE ask your Canadian "counterpart", about import # per year into Canada. PLEASE buddy o pal! :grouphug
As soon as I hear back from Bob W. I will then try to get that info for ya! :thumbs

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,616 Posts
Got some Feedback for our Canadian Friends

I got some feedback from Glen Durmisevich; Design Manager GM Accessory Studio today.

Attached is one version we proposed for the badge to go on the first Canadian SSR as I recall. The actual badge may have changed slightly.

Glen

I think that badge looks great!

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts