Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ready to finalize the deal for an 04 purple, fully loaded @ 12 below sticker...BUT am concerned about all the service bulletins listed for the '04 on the nhtsb web site...62 of them! plus, reading all the technical threads on this site gives me pause, don't want a new car that has to be in the shop all the time. has everyone had problems? have all the kinks been worked out with the '05?

haven't tried to talk a deal on the '05 sitting on the lot, but may just do that although I know I won't get a smokin' deal.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
artsmart: Mayeb I've just been lucky, but my 04 SSR has really only required 2 corrections at the dealer:

- Guage package was installed incorrectly by first dealer, shorted, and replaced under warranty by second dealer. No hassle and very quick.

- The driveshaft was replaced in a couple of hours after I objected to the "ting" sound. The new driveshaft does not ting.

That's about it really for "being in the shop".

I have about 7000 miles on it in 2 1/2 months.

The under $** purchase price was nice, and left me lots of money to do interesting mods (like the 4.56 axle!)

Jim G

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Very few probs

I've had mine for 15 months, it's an '03, and I've put 16000 miles on it with very few problems. Had the windshield replaced because of radio reception problems, had a sticking cup holder replaced and had the ABS light come on but the dealer was aware of the problem. It was a bad ground connection. I know other owners have had more problems, but I know people who have had problems with other makes and models also. Overall I am very satisfied with my SSR and would not trade it for any other vehicle I can think of. If you do decide to buy one I hope you don't have any more problems than I did then you will feel like I do about a Fantastic Ride with a Great Wow Factor.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's a nice change of pace to hear from members who have had none or little problems with thier SSR. I love this site and it's a hugh help in solving questions and other SSR issues, but I sometimes leave the site almost depressed thinking that my SSR is going to start acting up at any moment.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Purple Haze: Car manufacturers love/hate people like us. We are "car nuts". They love us because we are willing to spend more than the average buyer for a vehicle we want, but they hate us because we are overly possessive and detailed oriented about our vehicles!

By "us", I mean SSR, Corvette, Viper, and other highend sport vehicle buyers.

When reading the "problems", remember that the vast majority of car owners would not even NOTICE the things that are a "dire failure" to us.

I sort of straddle the fence in that I buy what I love, and pick it VERY carefully, but I then do NOT "put it up on a pedestal". I use commercial car washes, and my SSR is my daily driver! I do take care of it. For example, I get it washed frequently, synthetic oil change every 4500 miles, and I park in the far reaches of the parking lots so I don't acquire those unsightly and costly door dings.

So, in summary, I say "chill". ENJOY the vehicle.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
'04 or '05

My '05 has had a few very minor, but repairable, problems. The only nagging ongoing problem was the DIC (driver information center) display would go out for no reason, and not come back on through any amount of button pushing or restarting. Finally this week the dealer ran across a TSB adressing this very problem that came out March 7th, and he updated the software in the computer for the cure. We'll see if that did the trick. All in all, my SSR (also my daily driver) is more fun to drive than either of the vettes I've had.
Don

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
No Problems

I have owned my SSR since Sep 04. I use it on fair day weekends. I have pretty close to 6,000 miles on it. To this date I have had absolutely no problems. Everything works as it should. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Redrodder

B

·
0 Posts
Find a 2005

I think it would be a good idea to locate a 2005. I used this web site and I bet it took about 3 to 4 months of a daily search to find my deal. I found a used 2005
out of CA. for 38K, I thought this was a smokin price.$$$$$$$$
The web site is http://www.cars.com/go/index.jsp?aff=national

The only problem with my 2005 is I get whiplash from all the hole shots!!LOL
Happy Hunting...........BillyRay

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Purple Haze said:
It's a nice change of pace to hear from members who have had none or little problems with thier SSR. I love this site and it's a hugh help in solving questions and other SSR issues, but I sometimes leave the site almost depressed thinking that my SSR is going to start acting up at any moment.
It's human nature. Most of us make sure that we post the problems we may have had to help out our fellow Fanatics - so a lot of the posts make it look like this truck has more problems than a Ford Cruise Control. However, I flipped 20,000 miles on my '03 this morning on my way to hit the white ball and it reminded me that I haven't seen the service department for a really long time. Gotta get an oil change next week, though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts