Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
post yesterday for sale but today it ain't

Nope, nada, no way furgetaboutit.

Well the thoughts of selling the R have changed. With some back problems I was being uncomfortable with the lack of room in the R so thoughts were get something else. Also I started to worry about things going wrong and who will fix them, I am not that handy and reading on this form the past 2 years has left me less then confident in a local Chevy dealer doing work on it.

Also, as with car restorations in the past, once they are perfect there is something missing. So I thought, sell the R, get something at is easy to bring to a dealership and have work done and something I can play dress up Barbie with. My thoughts were first to a Mustang as I am a Ford person (I have 3 Fords, they look down on the poor, lonely SSR in the garage with them). Wife said "a dime a dozen mustang"? Anyway I went to the Ford dealer to test drive one with the 4 cyl (OMG, 4cyl!!) twin turbo. It would have been left in the dust if my R was next to it at a light. I also wanted to see how much room is inside compared to the R and how it felt. It was a tad bigger, had real cup holders (we all know that problem with the R) but other then that, meh. I have a 2017 Ford Edge and I am really surprised how quick that 2.0 twin turbo is for an SUV/Crossover that gets 26mpg. As I was leaving the manager comes out, of course and asks about my SSR, that they would love to see it, blah blah blah. I said there is no way a dealer would give me what I can get in the private sector. He said, of course, you never know, we would really like to see it blah blah blah. So being it is a nice sunny day I said I would come back later with the R.

I did so 2 hours later, their appraiser came out, looked it over. Did not want to drive it as he said it was perfect so he knows it drives perfect as well. Back inside he goes to crunch his numbers, all this time I am laughing as I know what is coming. A short time later the young salesmen comes out with his paper and asked me to sit down and talk numbers. I stood, reminding him I was just thinking about it and even so I do not like the color of the Blue mustang we test drove, it was a 2015 and their price was 20k. I looked at the sheet and saw my trade in value of 14k (did you know the Kelly BB shows my R, which I list as Excellent condition, a trade in value of $19,800-$22,170) and yes, I realize dealers need to make money but!! And then I saw the balance I would owe was $7,000 and change!!! I said thank you and turned "what can we do to get you into the Mustang" he heard me laughing as I exited the door.

While there waiting for the Ford people to do their thing I kept looking at my R and how unique it looked, especially compared to all the Fords in the lot behind it, nothing else stood out like it did.

I then stopped at the Chevy dealer cross the street to talk to a service guy. I asked him if they have worked on SSRs, they have. I asked him how they would handle a roof problem. He sort of looked funny and then said he would refer that problem to a specialty shop. He just had someone with a convertible camaro and they sent him to the shop down near Atlanta to address the problem. But I contated one shop and said take it to a dealer lol, guess I will "deal" with it when and if needed.

So I now think, keep the R, problems come up pay to have them fixed unless I get an offer I cannot refuse.

I did list it on fleabay which I have now deleted, I did list it on Autobroker so I paid for the 8 weeks let it run for laughs. I listed it on Craigslist just so I can get a chuckle out of the responses I will get (did get a 15K offer from a dealer, my reply was "The Stardome is hiring". That is a comedy club in the city that person lives.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,743 Posts
I hope your experience is better than mine with Craig's List. I had with my daughters wrecked car. She had a Toyota Tercel that she has wrecked like 6 times now. I listed it for $400 as a parts car. 10 Minutes after I listed it I get a message will you take $200 for it? Really I am all about haggling but who makes an offer with out even looking at the vehicle and offers half of the listing price.

Glad to hear you are keeping the SSR. I think you made the right decision. They are fun to own , and drive and always get attention. Enjoy the smiles.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
4,137 Posts
I'm sure your SSR is doing a "Happy Dance" for you deciding to keeping it! Drive and enjoy it!!!

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
cali210, BRAVO!!

Sure, SSR's can break. But so can any 14 year old car or truck. Heck, so can a new car for that matter.

As a whole, SSR's are a pretty robust vehicles. And yes, you see a number of issues on this site. But think about it. How many SSr's are out there vs the number of people on this forum vs the number of reported issues. The numbers get pretty small.

Bottom line, do your maintenance.

Change the ignition switch, change your battery and have someone check all your ground connections. That's 99% of electrical issues.

Do the cooling system upgrades talked about on this forum.

Very rarely do you ever hear of powertrain problems.

Yes, at some point roof hydraulics will need attention. But worst case scenario, drive with the top up until you find some help to fix it.

You've got one of the most unique vehicles on the road at a very reasonable cost. Keep it and pay the piper as necessary. Niggly things will happen. But you'll be better off and you'll get to keep your permagrin!!

Again, my hat's off to you for deciding to hang on to it.

Regards, Mark.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
CALL201 - - Just to reiterate what everyone else has said, you won't find a more UNIQUE vehicle. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't this the only truck
where the top goes down? You will get more smiles per miles out of that vehicle than ANY other!! Enjoy it, life is too short. And, there are people (great people)
who will work with you in sorting out the problems. So, take advantage of them, they won't take advantage of you. WSK

·
Premium Member
6,841 Posts
CALL201 - - Just to reiterate what everyone else has said, you won't find a more UNIQUE vehicle. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't this the only truck
where the top goes down? You will get more smiles per miles out of that vehicle than ANY other!! Enjoy it, life is too short. And, there are people (great people)
who will work with you in sorting out the problems. So, take advantage of them, they won't take advantage of you. WSK
the SSR is the only retractable hardtop. Jeep made a soft top truck, the Gladiator, Dodge made of soft top, the Dakota and Ford made one in 91 the Skyranger very rare.

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
North Freeway Hyundi

Sold my 04 for all the reasons you listed to N.F.H.:crying:

Give these guys a call, I drove my 04 over to them and they gave me a VERY fair $18,500 for mine. :grin2: I did purchase a 05 Buick Le Saber from them while there. VERY satisfied with the price and the way I was treated by N.F.H.:grin2: Mr. Todd 0:)with their internet sales dept.l can assist you.

Wishing you all the best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts