Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
04 sunvisor problem fix posted below

:thumbs Does anyone here have the same problem with sun visors in the side position drooping down to the point of being useless? I have an 04, bought used, with only 6K miles and think it is a neat machine. Still there are some areas that GM clearly could have done much better. For now all I get from GM & the local dealer, is "well we messed up there but nothing we can do for you, that is just the way they are"

No wonder GM is losing market share year after year.

Harlan

·
Registered
434 Posts
They make a plaster holder for flags on the 4th of July. Take the flag off and attach the holder to the top of the window. Put the upper end of holder under the visor. Now run the window up or down for desired sun block.

Life is short
Drive a Hot Rod :cool

Skip

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Better solution

Rather then use the flag holder, I guess I will just get sunglasses that block all light from the side. At least the Ford owners won't be laughing with glee at the flag holder, and I wouldn't blame them a bit.

Harlan

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Harlanj1,

You may have picked the wrong forum to bash the SSR. We love it here!

BUT, it sounds like you should be bashing the dealer that you went to. My dealer has fixed all problems (and there were very few of them) with no hassles.

Since you didn't put the city that you are in, we can't give you any hints as to what dealer to go to, but let us know and I'm sure one of our members will help you out.

PS, don't worry about the "Ford owners", when they see your top go down, no one will be looking at a sun visor!!!!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not bashing

I live in Titusville and had the vehicle looked at. The local dealer, Fischer, did all they could finding that the visor problem is a known defect and nothing could be done about it, at least in their words. (they checked another like vehicle and found the same result, that is the visor(s) refused to stay in position when moved to block the sun from the side position).

I then went to the Customer Satisfaction 800# and explained the problem to them. They too came up with "oops, guess what, we did a bad design but can do nothing about it.

My real question is to 04 owners, and I state it again, do other 04 SSR's have the same problem?

If so then I know GM will not fix it leaving me to try my luck at a fix it myself.

However I will say, if it is the case of a bad design, this experience, my first in 32 years with GM, after being a GM owner for the prior 19 years or so, is not a good omen. After all, even though I bought the SSR used, the sticker price was 47K and as such more is expected when one spends that kind of money.

Regards,

Harlan

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Dang Harlan!

Now I'm afraid to move my sunvisor to the side!!!! :lol

I have removed my visors to remove the "yellow stickers" and put them back on with no problems, but haven't moved it to the side yet.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Noel

Thanks for the answer. So I guess it is safe to assume, at this point, that all 04's have a case of the droops.

Which leaves me to wonder of the 05 or 06 models do the same. If not, perhaps GM would give all us 04 owners new visors to correct the problem! (assuming, again, that they would fit without major alterations)

Regards,

Harlan

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JohnC

John: Thanks for the knowledge that removing the visors and reinstall is no big problem. Guess I will just take the darn things off and see if I can tighten them up.

Will let you all know how it turns out.

Regards,

Harlan

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Mine also does this, not sure about the passenger side or not but the driver side does. Mentioned this in an much earlier post, too. I hardly ever use it took me about 6 months to even notice that it happened! Welcome to the SSR Family!

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Mine does the same, I'm going to try to take it apart at the pivot and see if i can put in some felt or some thing to increase the friction. I'll let you know if this works...

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Just went out and tried mine, no droop. I had never used them anyway, so I thought I would try them :seeya

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have an 05 with the same problem. After replacing the visor with no improvement the dealer gave up and said it is a poor design. I agree. The problem is not that the visor wont stay in place, the plastic part that pivots. The problem is the whole support arm that swivels dosen't have enough spring tension to stay in place a few inches from the glass. When it swings over to the glass it angles down, due to the angle of the mount to the roof. The effect is the sun shines over the gap at the top of the visor and renders it useless. One trick I have learned is to angle the visor out where it touches the glass. This prevents it from swinging to close to the glass and achieving the droop angle. In most cases it helps.

Good luck!

David

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Buffy

Buffy said:
Harlan,

READ THIS POST

Jim G did a GREAt job with the directions on removing the yellow sticker and they really work!
Thanks for the info, I missed your link earlier today, as it will help me get the labels off when I try to fix the droopy visor problem.

Regards,

Harlan

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to all!!

I think I have the answers I need to attempt a fix. And confirmation that later years also have the problem helps.

Again, thank you,

Harlan :ssr

·
Registered
153 Posts
Spot check

I just checked mine........The pivots in the windsheld header are in all the wrong spots. The visors are also so small they are almost worthless anyway. I also always wear wraparound sunglasses so I never noticed this before. And comparing them to the visors on my Sierra and my mom's Yukon is like "a nat's a** to an eliphant's butt" :glol :glol

PocoToro and my $0.02 :seeya

·
Registered
153 Posts
YellowThunder said:
I have an 05 with the same problem. After replacing the visor with no improvement the dealer gave up and said it is a poor design. I agree. The problem is not that the visor wont stay in place, the plastic part that pivots. The problem is the whole support arm that swivels dosen't have enough spring tension to stay in place a few inches from the glass. When it swings over to the glass it angles down, due to the angle of the mount to the roof. The effect is the sun shines over the gap at the top of the visor and renders it useless. One trick I have learned is to angle the visor out where it touches the glass. This prevents it from swinging to close to the glass and achieving the droop angle. In most cases it helps.

Good luck!

David
:agree :agree :agree

YES :thumbs , this is the way to use the visor. I found this position on my own and did not think any thing of it. I have always set all visors to this postion when on the side, to get them as far away as posable (I'm Claustrophobic)

Poco

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yellow Thunder (David)

My wife noticed the same thing you posted, that is if one carefully places the visor in a certain position it may stay put.

Still, this setup is a poor excuse for a sunvisor as it requires some effort for the driver, who may be busy doing other tasks, to place it in that certain position in the hope it will stay there.

I will attempt a fix myself. Failing that I plan on getting on GM's butt about this problem. As far as I am concerned, leaving it as is, evidently GM's position, is not acceptable.

Thanks for the input.

Regards,

Harlan :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Drooping Visor fix

:smash As promised, I am posting my fix of the drooping sun visor situation.

Here is the procedure.

1. Go to your local hardware store and purchase 2 hose clamps of the type that are worm drive, the size on the package should read 1/4" to 5/8" (the kind that has a band with groves cut for the worm screw to tighten) and purchase a stone grinder that comes to a point (about 3/4 inch at the butt and comes to a rounded point of about 1/8") which will fit into a drill & a 1/2" (with a tapered point) rasping file about 10 or 12" long (longer is ok, shorter is hard to deal with). (note you could use the stone grinder but I feel the file is safer to work with inside the SSR)

Also have on hand some super glue that will stick to the plastic barrel where you will place the hose clamp and the metal of the hose clamp. (test a small area with a drop on the outside of the barrel below where the hose clamp band will go, if you can't scratch it off when dry it is a go as long as it states it will adhere to metal also)

2. Remove the visor and note there are 3 slots cut in the upper part of the barrel where the visor shaft comes through. This is the area you will place the hose clamp. Slide the hose clamp over the barrel making sure, as you tighten it, that the end opposite the tightening bolt is barely over one of the three landings where the three attachment screws come through and the other end is about the same (split the difference) figuring you are going to grind off the tightening nut as much as possible (I got mine down to 1/8"). Also make sure the top of the band is completely on the barrel.

3. Tighten up the clamp quite tight and test the increased tension. When you think it is tight enough, give it a bit more. (note you muscle men might not take this additional step). It is helpful if you test the tension prior to making the repair so you have some reference as to the added tension.

3a. After making a final adjustment and before using the super glue or grinding off the tightening bolt, trim off the excess part of the belt. Mark the cut area to cut at by scoring a line with the edge of a file and use needle nosed pliers to bend it back and forth until it breaks at the line.

4. Grind off the tightening bolt as described above. When grinding off the tightening device, remember to not get too heavy handed as you may create enough heat to melt the plastic. (the new clamps you buy have a longer tightening device, and thus more grinding, then the two, lucky me, older clamps I had in my fastener bin).

5. put a small amount of super glue at the lower & upper part of the hose clamp belt to make sure it cannot slip up. (just a dot here and there as you may have to remove it in the future)

5. To install the modified visor you will need to file off both sides of one of the 3 possible areas the hose clamp tightening device will fit. This will become obvious when you attempt to insert it without doing the filing first. (DO NOT FILE THE AREA WHERE THE SCREWS GO THROUGH!!) NOTE: it does not matter which of the 3 areas you choose as any will do.

Once the area is widened enough, check by trial and error, attach the repaired visor and you are done. I would guess no more than 1 hour for the fix and about 7 bucks for the material.

I applied this fix to the passenger side and, while driving with the top down and on bumpy city roads, was able to move the visor to any position at the side and have it stay in place. Still, I feel I should have gave the clamp a bit more tension, time will tell.

Good luck,

Harlan

1 - 20 of 25 Posts