Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Wow. The exploded view diagram is a huge help. I had no idea what the spring looked like before. The next question is where the heck is it? And how do you get to it to replace it? I took a dozen pictures to find it and never did. It looks like one of those contortionists jobs. :rolleyes: o_O
[/
here’s a pic of it installed:

To install it, insert/install the two outer pins. Depress the clutch pedal and hook the center. It helps if you’re a skinny contortionist!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts

·
Registered
'05 Aqua Blur 6-spd
458 Posts
My spring used to squeak a bit. I now spray it with a bit of white lithium grease about once a year. No more squeak!
Mine is currently squeaking off and on, especially on cooler days. Now that I know what to look for, all I have to do is find it and give it a coupla shots. :cautious:

Thanks.

BTW, have you ever replaced the spring? :unsure:

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Mine is currently squeaking off and on, especially on cooler days. Now that I know what to look for, all I have to do is find it and give it a coupla shots. :cautious:

Thanks.

Yes, once...so far. Knock on wood!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts

Thanks.

I've got around 60,000 miles on my truck and I've never changed the spring. I just keep it lubed. Seems to work!

·
Registered
'05 Aqua Blur 6-spd
458 Posts
Thanks to @TruckNRod and @ggoat!!! for their referred-to web sites and counsel. I've managed to come up with some more questions? Like am I missing the clutch return spring altogether? If so, the clutch pedal returns normally. Why? So, do i need one?

The GM web site with the expanded view of the clutch assembly giving the part number, name, and description:

The clutch return spring installed (GM musta wisely decided to utilize SSR parts in its Corvettes. :giggle:):

I've attached some pictures that can "see" the parts better than I can. Whew, don't know how I'd put the spring in. I just can't see. I took the pictures as "selfies." The camera could go where I couldn't. Maybe I can just add it to the picture. o_O

The original picture of the annotated version to the right.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Thanks to @TruckNRod and @ggoat!!! for their referred-to web sites and counsel. I've managed to come up with some more questions? Like am I missing the clutch return spring altogether? If so, the clutch pedal returns normally. Why? So, do i need one?

The GM web site with the expanded view of the clutch assembly giving the part number, name, and description:

The clutch return spring installed (GM musta wisely decided to utilize SSR parts in its Corvettes. :giggle:):

I've attached some pictures that can "see" the parts better than I can. Whew, don't know how I'd put the spring in. I just can't see. I took the pictures as "selfies." The camera could go where I couldn't. Maybe I can just add it to the picture. o_O

View attachment 575464 View attachment 575465

View attachment 575466 View attachment 575467

Thanks again.
Your spring is gone...

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts

View attachment 575464 View attachment 575465

View attachment 575466 View attachment 575467

Thanks again.
Yes, the spring is missing. The outer arms of the spring would attach @ #21 and #30 with the center of the spring attached @ #27, the clutch pedal. I've tried with and without the spring and prefer the balanced pedal feel with the spring in place. With the spring removed you usually experience loss of your cruise control from pedal drop. You can adjust the switch to regain cruise.

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
:cry:
Geeez, I've had no squeaks and/or any other problems that I know of with my clutch spring and/or any need to "lube" it.

Guess at 77 yrs old, I gotta get upside down again and review the "parts" up under there so I have a clue if in the future something goes wrong.

There is something to be said for............."If it ain't broke, don't fix it":rolleyes:

·
Registered
'05 Aqua Blur 6-spd
458 Posts
...you usually experience loss of your cruise control from pedal drop. You can adjust the switch to regain cruise.
Yes, I had to replace the clutch pedal position switch when it failed to "know" when pedal was not pushed in. The cruise control wouldn't engage.

How do you adjust the switch so the cruise will re-engage when the pedal is let out? Right now I tap the clutch to disengage the cruise rather than tapping the brake pedal.

·
Registered
'05 Aqua Blur 6-spd
458 Posts
:cry:
Geeez, I've had no squeaks and/or any other problems that I know of with my clutch spring and/or any need to "lube" it.

Guess at 77 yrs old, I gotta get upside down again and review the "parts" up under there so I have a clue if in the future something goes wrong.

There is something to be said for............."If it ain't broke, don't fix it":rolleyes:
I've learned the squeak I experience on occasion is not coming from the spring since it isn't there. Do you know if you have a clutch spring. It ain't easy to see, I'll tell ya. I haven't actually seen the place for it yet, only the pictures I took. I have no idea how to install it if I had one.

The problems in getting upside down to see or install the part are the clutch and brake pedals which are where your head needs to go and the seat is where the rest of your upside down body would be. Other than that it should be easy to see and install the spring. Except for where your arms and hands go. :rolleyes:

I also don't know if it's "broken" without one. The clutch pedal seems to return properly. Therefore it's not broken? :unsure:

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
BoxerCup,
Rockauto doesn't carry the spring. GOt my spring at Chevrolet Part # 12555205 and it cost $15.96
Also IF you need the rubber seal on top of the clutch master cylinder Best one is a NAPA #675-1210
Fits better than original and its like $8.00. I replaced my leaking one a week before Branson with this one and has not leaked since.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I also don't know if it's "broken" without one. The clutch pedal seems to return properly. Therefore it's not broken? :unsure:
Your clutch is returning without the return spring due to the spring action of the fingers of your clutch pressure plate. There has been discussion regarding going without the return spring vs having one. I didn’t notice much difference in clutch feel when mine failed, so I went with Topspin’s council/reasons to leave the spring in place.
My 2 cents...order the spring, see how it’s made, show some skinny young guy/gal pictures of where and how it goes on, have them put it on.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,675 Posts
Your clutch is returning without the return spring due to the spring action of the fingers of your clutch pressure plate. There has been discussion regarding going without the return spring vs having one. I didn’t notice much difference in clutch feel when mine failed, so I went with Topspin’s council/reasons to leave the spring in place.
My 2 cents...order the spring, see how it’s made, show some skinny young guy/gal pictures of where and how it goes on, have them put it on.
Yep' then buy them a beer or soda depending on their age. They will be thrilled to tell their friends they got to work on an SSR! :)

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
:rolleyes:
BV.....Your NAPA purchase may work as well and might even be cheaper. But we've covered the "leaking" clutch cylinder (top) before. I think Mike carries the new/correct version that does not leak and I believe it may have come from a Cadillac clutch cylinder cover. (The vent hole is offset and avoids those damn leaks/oozes that the stock cap had.:(

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Moscooter,
I realize Mike carries the cap/seal. We spoke to him before Branson. But the NAPA one is for a GM master cylinder too, it doesn't leak, also works perfectly and was $8.00 with tax. Why would I spend $35.00 to accomplish the same end result. I have indeed purchased parts from Mike like cooling fans, heat shield for ABS module. He produces good stuff. But when I can end up with the same result by doing it myself I prefer that to opening my wallet. That's why I built my own lower radiator support out of stainless, I am building my own version of a frame stiffener too. I guess what a person spends is all based on their income level abilities and tools to "Get ER Done".

·
BLU SSR
2,489 Posts
Moscooter,
I realize Mike carries the cap/seal. We spoke to him before Branson. But the NAPA one is for a GM master cylinder too, it doesn't leak, also works perfectly and was $8.00 with tax. Why would I spend $35.00 to accomplish the same end result. I have indeed purchased parts from Mike like cooling fans, heat shield for ABS module. He produces good stuff. But when I can end up with the same result by doing it myself I prefer that to opening my wallet. That's why I built my own lower radiator support out of stainless, I am building my own version of a frame stiffener too. I guess what a person spends is all based on their income level.
My only addition to your last sentence would be to add "and skill level" Some of us don't have the equipment and abilities that you have!

·
Registered
42 Posts
More than likely, broken return spring. Lot of manual owners carry spare spring with them.

Have you changed clutch yet?? If not, you will.

Dicktator

GM used Camaro "Leisure" Clutch 300hp against SSR 400hp and 1200lbs heavier!

Replace with Corvette LS7, plug and play, rated at 600hp and you will be very happy.
\
I see lot's of posts, mostly very old on clutch replacement. What is the latest and greatest recommended clutch flywheel to buy for 05 replacement? I will be doing all the work myself, just need to know what parts to source.

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
Moscooter,
I realize Mike carries the cap/seal. We spoke to him before Branson. But the NAPA one is for a GM master cylinder too, it doesn't leak, also works perfectly and was $8.00 with tax. Why would I spend $35.00 to accomplish the same end result. I have indeed purchased parts from Mike like cooling fans, heat shield for ABS module. He produces good stuff. But when I can end up with the same result by doing it myself I prefer that to opening my wallet. That's why I built my own lower radiator support out of stainless, I am building my own version of a frame stiffener too. I guess what a person spends is all based on their income level.
:rolleyes:
I think we are on the same page. Mine leaked also and had I known NAPA had the solution at that price, I would have done the same thing. Percentage wise, I probably did over 80% of the build on my old '39 Chevy streetrod which indeed included some parts I built myself too.
Don't count me as one of those with the fat wallet cause sadly mine is only that way cause of several credit cards stuffed in it. However I do manage to handle the damn balances that seem to come due each and every month. ;)

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
\
I see lot's of posts, mostly very old on clutch replacement. What is the latest and greatest recommended clutch flywheel to buy for 05 replacement? I will be doing all the work myself, just need to know what parts to source.
This is what I recently replaced mine with. Happy so far:

21 - 40 of 41 Posts