Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the shifter in 1st, 3rd and 5th there is a lot of mechanical noise from the transmission. In 2nd, 4th and 6th there is virtually no noise. Any ideas? Any advice?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
SSRLRT said:
With the shifter in 1st, 3rd and 5th there is a lot of mechanical noise from the transmission. In 2nd, 4th and 6th there is virtually no noise. Any ideas? Any advice?

Thanks
its an AGGIE Growl after their last football game :boxing

·
Registered
192 Posts
Tranny noise from boot

SSRLRT-

Mine did that too. It seemed like the tranny noise was transmitted by the shifter shaft to the boot. 1st, 3rd and 5th are when the boot has more tension on the shaft. You can push the boot down off the shift knob to see if the boot is actually amplifiying the noise. If so-

Softening the boot with lots of leather conditioner solved my noise. The best way is to remove the knob, then take the boot off with the trim ring/switch asm. Soak the inside of the boot with conditioner. If it was dried out like mine, it will soak up 4-6 ozs with a couple of applications over a two or 3 hour period.

I also shortened the shifter shaft about 1 inch and am pleased with the results. Details are in a previous post.

Hope this helps.

Doug

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pushrods4ever

Quote: then take the boot off with the trim ring/switch asm.

Is the trim ring affixed with clips and can it be lifted up and removed? Is the noise you had a mechanical spinning sound? My noise reminds me of a worn syncronizer sound.

Thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
SSRLRT- Yes the ring just snaps onto the console. It takes a bit of upward pressure to remove it the first time but it will unsnap.

The noise sounded like rotational gear noise to me. Notice the boot is in a tighter bind against the shifter shaft in those 3 gears. Try removing the boot and driving it to confirm that is your problem.

Doug

·
Registered
189 Posts
Please Link Previous Post

Pushrods,

Can you please post a link to your procedure? I have the same issue on my 05 and would love to resolve it instead of taking it to the dealer so that a tech can drive the car to his girlfriends house for a couple of night and give it back to me filthy with a copy of the ticket that says "no trouble found"!

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Pushrods4ever said:
SSRLRT-

Mine did that too. It seemed like the tranny noise was transmitted by the shifter shaft to the boot. 1st, 3rd and 5th are when the boot has more tension on the shaft. You can push the boot down off the shift knob to see if the boot is actually amplifiying the noise. If so-

Softening the boot with lots of leather conditioner solved my noise. The best way is to remove the knob, then take the boot off with the trim ring/switch asm. Soak the inside of the boot with conditioner. If it was dried out like mine, it will soak up 4-6 ozs with a couple of applications over a two or 3 hour period.

I also shortened the shifter shaft about 1 inch and am pleased with the results. Details are in a previous post.

Hope this helps.

Doug

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
My 05 6 Speed on the other hand has an annoying squeak in the shifter boot when in any of the lower gears of the gate. I plan to remove my whole console and trim the carpet padding, condition the boot and shorten the shifter handle. I have been so busy with other projects that my SSR hasn't received any love in the last 2 weeks other then an occasional rub down.

·
Registered
192 Posts
raveschi-

Try this link to see how to shorten the shaft for a better shift "feeling".

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6322

If your shifter is noisy, try softening the boot with a leather conditioner, lots of it. The best way is to remove the boot and put it on the inside of the boot. You will need to take the shift knob off first then the console ring thats holds the boot.

Doug

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks

Doug,

Thanks for the tip! I will b making these modifications today :)

My Best,

Rob

·
Registered
192 Posts
Shifter Shaft Shortening

AS pointed out by Robmac, do not cut too much off the shaft. I cut 1" off mine and I would think that would be about the max. The knob comes pretty close to the console with any more than that taken off.

Doug

·
Registered
189 Posts
T-Handle

Anyone found a T-Handle that will fit this beast?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pushrods4ever

I am not having any success in removing the bezel. I have pulled up from the sides, back and front. It flexes some but the spring clips are not giving way. Is there any retaing screws? Is there a technique. It feels as if I continue to pull the bezel will start to bend and crack.

·
Registered
192 Posts
As I recall there are four clips holding the bezel. Two in front and two in rear. The first time you remove them it takes a LOT of pressure to unseat them. I pulled up on both sides at the same time but do it from either the front or the rear. When you have two clips removed the other two will come out a lot easier. I know it sort of feels kind of scary as something is going break but just keep pulling with more pressure and the clips should come loose.

Doug

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
I just got done doing the Short Shifter and Boot Conditioner.

This can be done easily as follows:

I removed the allen screw for the shifter handle
I removed the bezel from around the shifter w/shifter boot
Unplug Switch wiring
Conditioned shifter boot both inside and out with SEM Leather Conditioner
Removed two foam pads from the base of the shifter
Removed the (2) 13mm head bolts from the base of shifter handle
Removed shifter handle completely
(Notice I did not remove the console)
Used masking tape to mark 1" down from top of shaft
Marked the notch and flat groove on masking tape
Cut notch into shifter 1" down from original
Cut flat groove down 1" from marks
Cut shifter handle off by 1"
Touched up shifter with black rattle can paint.
Reinstalled shifter onto base with (2) 13mm bolts
Reinstalled (2) foam pads over base of shifter
Reinstalled shifter bezel and boot
Plugged in switch wiring
Snap bezel down on console
Slide shifter handle back onto shifter arm
Reinstall allen retaining screw for shifter handle

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ray_Ban said:
I have an '06 with the 6-spd. After I had 500 miles (when I finally put the top up and turned down the stereo) on it, I noticed a whiny "throwout bearing" type noise coming from the tranny hump. The noise is there when the car is stopped or in motion. It couldn't be the throwout bearing though because the sound goes away when the clutch is depressed. The service technician at the dealership said he didn't hear it and wrote it up that way. Anyone else notice this?
I wrote this before I found this thread. Is this noise really caused by the shifter boot?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ray Ban-

Try taking the boot off and see. Removing the boot only takes a couple of minutes. Just take the knob off and unsnap the boot bezel. My leather boot was very dry and transmitted vibrations from the tranny via the shift shaft. The boot on mine soaked up about half a bottle of leather conditioner. After softening the boot my noises went away, I still have a little gear noise, but I consider it normal now.

Doug

·
Registered
483 Posts
I noticed the same noisy shifter deal.I soaked my Boot with "LEXOL" from the OUTSIDE (don't wanna take my new truck apart) seems to be way better after 2 applications.. still a little noise,I'll do one more soak. We'll see..:ssr :seeya

·
Registered
483 Posts
Well 650 mi and I'm lovin' my new 6 speed..but that Boot deal makes it sound like an old truck that needs a tranny...Grrrrrr:banghead I want to figure out a way to quiet it without dis-mantling my console..I'm gonna stuff a sock in it today..:glol

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
I use the Leather Conditioner that is sold at the Chevrolet dealership. I have to condition it about every 3 or 4 months. Just spray alot of it on there, let it sit for a couple of hours and then just use a rag and wipe up any excess that didnt absorb in.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts