Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone else with a 2005 SSR is fed up with the part throttle lazy 1-2 shift, but here is what I did... After having the dealer check it out, we find that Chevrolet says this is normal and no warranty fix is available. I then took it a local transmission shop (this guy does all the dealer's trans work, since it's a small dealer and they have no full-time trans tech) and had Corvette servos installed. Unfortunately, I had to pay for this but it was only $200.00 parts and labor. WOW, what a difference! It is like an instant shift-kit! It may be a little too firm a shift for some, (especially the 1-2 shift) but I love it! BTW, all shifts are firmer.

Frank

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
The Corvette servo is a neat idea, but care must be taken in installation.

There is an excellent article in the current (January 2006) issue of GM Hi Tech Performance, page 76, which describes and shows via photos rather graphically what happens when it is NOT done just right. The transmission had to be replaced.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
1-2 shifts

My tranny is doing the same thing. I've had it in the shop for a week and they said there was nothing they could do. It slips between 1 and 2 on manual and automatic shifting at stronger throttle. Do you think this will fix my problem as well?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Guys, there IS an issue that needs to be addressed here. Saying that lag is normal is NOT ok. Yes, mine does it too. There is a tsb on this issue with the recommendation to replace the valve body.
GM simply saying that is normal is no longer ok, at least to me. If THAT'S normal, they will need to call me about my missing check to GMAC each month, I'll tell them that's normal and to be expected. :lol
Insist on your tranny shifting properly, we have already had a member grenade one.

BTW, when I took mine in for this issue, nothing was done except note it in the computer. I took it in a second time and they had it two days. They told me drive it like that until the tranny blows up then we can replace it...taking it back in for the third time on this same issue...it will be fixed or it won't. Either way is ok with me at this point. Is the 2wd Tahoe using the same tranny?

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
I have seen many owners of newer automatic vehicles cause premature wear do to manual shifting through the automatic gate. It was explained to me that the newer computer controlled transmissions need to have certain line pressures before shifting to ensure proper engagement. Manual shifting with the 4l60/65E is not recommended on a stock transmission. I have seen modified transmissions withstand the manual shifting, I provided a link below of a member on some other boards that puts a great transmission kit together.

http://zippyperformance.com.futuresite.register.com/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts