Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a set of strut brackets and my hood already had the balls on it. So when I put the brackets on they are not going tight to the inner fender brace on either side plus on the drivers side the hole in the fender is moved away enough that I can't get the bolt through the hole in the fender to line up with the bracket. Has anyone else had a problem doing the 05 brackets on an 04?

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,998 Posts
I got a set of strut brackets and my hood already had the balls on it. So when I put the brackets on they are not going tight to the inner fender brace on either side plus on the drivers side the hole in the fender is moved away enough that I can't get the bolt through the hole in the fender to line up with the bracket. Has anyone else had a problem doing the 05 brackets on an 04?
Where did you get the strut brackets?

Mike

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,998 Posts
Off an 05 SSR that is being parted out. My hood already has the ball mounts on it.
OK... the OEM hood mounts have an 8mm ball on them. The body of the struts should mate up to that without a problem.

I didn’t know the 05-06 brackets were removable..... The fender brackets should mount to the inner fender, not to the large diameter hole in the fender. Kinda hard to explain........ you need a driver’s side photo for clear understanding. This is the first time Ive heard of an issue trying to do this.

Mike

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the mounts on my hood already so I got the fender mounts and struts off an 05. The fender brackets came with the bolts and plastic push pin with them. The bracket bolts up to the large hole in the fender lip and inner structure correct? On the under side of the bracket it has a hole and that should have a plastic push pin going through that hole into the inner structure? My problem is the bracket is off the inner structure by about 1/4 inch so the plastic pin won't go in and grab the inner fender. Maybe I just don't have it all lined up correctly. It was cold out and I didn't have much time to work on it today. I will gout tomorrow and see if there is more adjustment or if I don't have something lined up right.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have solved the mystery tonight. The fender brackets are 2 pieces spot welded together on the part that is the upper portion that the ball socket mounts to. The upper part of this bracket has two tabs on it one is just bent upward and the other has a threaded nut in it. I don't know what that goes to because on my truck there is nothing around that would be close to mounting to that. Any way the lower portion of the bracket should be gapped slightly to slide over the inner structure and under the fender. The fender is cut back smaller than the inner structure. If you try to put the mount under the inner structure, the two taps mentioned before hold the bracket out to far from the inner structure. I had to loosen the two fender bolts one before and one after the hood bracket to slide the bracket between the fender and inner structure. So the way it fits from top down are fender, top section of the bracket, inner structure then the lower section of the bracket. The inner fender gets sandwiched between the two parts of the bracket. The passengers side is easier to get installed because tightening the bracket pulls the bracket into place. The drivers side tries to push the bracket out of place. Simple fix after I had more time and light to see what I was working with.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,998 Posts
..... The upper part of this bracket has two tabs on it one is just bent upward and the other has a threaded nut in it. I don't know what that goes to because on my truck there is nothing around that would be close to mounting to that. ....
The bracket with the nut is for mounting the clutch reservoir on the six speed trucks.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts