Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased a loaded 2005 for 1500 under sticker. I travel all over the country on business and have talked to about 20 different dealers in 7 states getting a feel for what they want to charge. Most of them was charging sticker and others about 1000 over. I did find one close that had a 05 in black for 1500 under and he has set a trend of ordering one in any color for -1500! I did not purchase from then but went to another and told them to match the price or I walk.

I have noticed that many dealers are having trouble selling there 04's. The dealership near me still has the same 4 for the last 4 months. They are not selling and I feel that the 05 will be the last.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Billy said:
I have purchased a loaded 2005 for 1500 under sticker. I travel all over the country on business and have talked to about 20 different dealers in 7 states getting a feel for what they want to charge. Most of them was charging sticker and others about 1000 over. I did find one close that had a 05 in black for 1500 under and he has set a trend of ordering one in any color for -1500! I did not purchase from then but went to another and told them to match the price or I walk.

I have noticed that many dealers are having trouble selling there 04's. The dealership near me still has the same 4 for the last 4 months. They are not selling and I feel that the 05 will be the last.
I agree with you! I just bought my '04 and one dealer I talked to wouldn't make much of a deal at all; I ended up purchasing from another dealer who was more in line with a trade-in value for my car. But, the first dealer still has the same '04 I was looking at in September and has had it for several months before that.
Problem is they are basically still trying to sell for sticker or about $800 less for the '04; and they have a new aqua '05 sitting right next to it! Go figure!! :lol

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
'05

Dealer that eased it into me when I bought my '03 has had the '05's sitting on the lot for a couple of months. When I picked mine up after the railroad tie repairs the other day, the same salesman tried to talk me into a trade - when I suggested a discount off MSRP - he wouldn't talk about it. Happy with mine, anyway.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
One dealer in Corona, CA .... $5,000 over sticker! No deals here..
keeping my 03 for a while..

6 spd manual just might change my mine though. will find out soon when they start appearing at the show room.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$1500 under sticker seems like a real good price on the '05 model. It's kind of funny that they can't seem to give away a '04 model and some dealers want over sticker for a '05. I will say though that now that I have my '05 I can see why the big difference in price. I have drivin a '04 and with the LS2 in the '05 it is not even close to the same vehicle. The LS2 runs like a scalded dog and sounds unbeliveable. And the new body colored package really makes things much cleaner looking in my opinion.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vettin Man said:
$1500 under sticker seems like a real good price on the '05 model. It's kind of funny that they can't seem to give away a '04 model and some dealers want over sticker for a '05. I will say though that now that I have my '05 I can see why the big difference in price. I have drivin a '04 and with the LS2 in the '05 it is not even close to the same vehicle. The LS2 runs like a scalded dog and sounds unbeliveable. And the new body colored package really makes things much cleaner looking in my opinion.

A scalded dog huh?!? Wow, it must really run a lot faster than the 5.3 then.....

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just wanted to give my 2 cents about this pricing issue. I am in the auto business and I am also looking for an SSR. I was going to pick up a used 04 at the auction (which there are alot of right now for cheap)but after I saw that the 05 was going to have the bigger motor I have decided to wait. At this point I wouldnt even pay invoice for a new one or even if a dealer offered it to me at invoice and he gave me his holdback, which would be an additional $1300 or so. I love the truck but the depreciation is going to be huge even on the 05's. The 04's are also only going to get worse in the next 6 months because of Chevy changing the motor and the fact they just cant move them, the 05's won't be any different. I would say that I'll see LOW mileage 04's going thru the auction for the low 20's by spring or summer and 05's in the high 20's to low 30's. Yea I know, you dont care about the money it is such a great vehicle and people stare at the truck and you feel like a movie star. All I'm sayin is put your checkbook back in your pocket for 6 months and pick up one with a thousand or so miles for 10, 12 or 15 thousand below sticker. Now you have your fun vehicle and a bunch of cash in your pocket for extra's.

I know I will probly get flamed for this thread but I'm just trying to give you guy's some insight.

·
Registered
111 Posts
No flaming!!!!!

There is just something about owing a vehicle from BRAND NEW! In addition you only loose money if you sell it (Sort of). In my case I don't sell my cars (when every I can get away with it!). My most recent example is I have a 1996 Chevy Tahoe (that I ordered in 1996) and paid $30,500. I currently have 147K miles on it and I not only enjoy it, I trust it. In 1996, I thought that was a ton of cash. Today, I can't say I didn't get my money's worth.

Your argument is sound, but I like brand new... and I like picking all my options... is that worth $10 - 15K? I think it is if you keep the vehicle long enough. (Previously purchased new: 1983 Chevy S10 Pickup - First year for extended Cab, 1987 Chevy Blazer 4X4 – an assume truck, 1993 Pontiac Bonneville, 1996 Chevy Tahoe, 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser (wife’s car), 2003 Chevy Corvette - 50th Anniversary Addition).

Again, your argument is sound from a financial perspective, but, for example I know that my Corvette has been mine from mile 14!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I agree with your reasoning Bill. If your going to run em till the tires fall of them your cost of ownership over that period of time is negligible. But if your really not sure and cant afford this truck as a second or third vehicle it's worth looking at one that has only a few thousand miles on it and saving a bundle. That way if you say it's not for me or it's just unpratical you dont take a huge bath. I like new cars too and have bought alot, but only cars that I knew what I was in for. Keeping a car 6 months or a year and loosing 3 or 4 thousand isnt bad and I consider that the price of having fun. But to buy a vehicle that is dropping in resale value faster than brick out of an airplane doesnt make sense. Even in your case, if your going to really put a gazillion miles on it OK, but if its going to end up as a garage queen, it will drop just as fast. I know your Corvette was yours since mile 14 but my 03 Z06 I bought 6 months ago had 2500 miles on it and I paid about $16000 behind original sticker for it. I mean the floor mats were still in the factory plastic, you cant get much newer than that. Now I would consider buying a new Corvette C-6 for maybe $1000 over invoice right now but i know the worst thing is I may take a 10% hit on it in six months with 10,000 miles on it. But some poor guy is going to take a 30 or 40% hit on an 05 SSR with only a couple of thousand miles and is showroom new, then I'll pick one up. I just checked the recent auction reports and 05's are already going through and about 6 04's just went through with less than 100 miles on them for around $32k-$33K, thats a $13000 loss and they were new. But hey, to each their own, thats why we call it America.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just checked the recent auction reports and 05's are already going through and about 6 04's just went through with less than 100 miles on them for around $32k-$33K, thats a $13000 loss and they were new. But hey, to each their own, thats why we call it America.[/QUOTE]

Well do you think the major loss on the '04's is because of the new engine in the 05's? What about the 05's, in 6 months, they won't be priced around $35,000 will they? I think it is just cause of the new enigne. :confused

·
Administrator
8,205 Posts
mathLSU said:
..... Well do you think the major loss on the '04's is because of the new engine in the 05's? What about the 05's, in 6 months, they won't be priced around $35,000 will they? I think it is just cause of the new enigne. :confused
I have been watching different auctions pricing and various threads on here about the fast sinking prices of the SSRs. Some people have their own theories on why the SSRs will continue to sink further. Let me say that the overall economy in the auto industry is mediocre at best. GM has many business teams on layoffs right now even as we speak. GM has laid-off number of production lines last month and they will announce more continuing layoffs perhaps later this year. Even now there are more hints of continued layoffs after the first of the year.

I believe this huge drop might be a short-term reaction due in part to the weaker markets. The demand for the SSRs is not limited to the 03-04s it is hitting the 05s already as stated in one of my earlier replies. I received an email from a friend within GM stating that the SSR’s quality was very high but the demand is now very low! So the new 6.0 L engine isn’t as huge of an encouragement for sales as some might have thought it would be.

Which brings me to another thought… SSRs that have gone through those auctions at such low prices are then purchased to be sold later on dealers lots for a much higher resale value. So if the average street buyer (not wholesalers) where to buy one of those SSRs they would have to unquestionably pay at good $2,000-$3,000 more for them!

Just my opinion here, but I do believe that the markets have been reflecting the uncertainty in today’s worried economic climate. Feds are looking to raise interest rates again to help stem off posibility of inflation, fuel costs continue to go up and down and now the escalating war have unquestionably caused the average consumer to be more apprehensive and to once again hold back on their major purchases until things stabilize.

I feel once that the buying public realizes that the 03 & 04s are now becoming a tremendous value perhaps they will buy them and hold onto them longer. Those that want to dump them will pay a high premium to do so. Maybe later next year things will be looking up a little more?

Ps I am sure more thoughts will be shared later...

·
Registered
111 Posts
B:

Your logic remains sound. I have always been conservative in my decisions and this one is a little on the radical side. Regardless, my plan is to drive this silver baby! If all goes as planned, I will run several sets of tires off of the rims. I'm also going to keep my Tahoe for bad weather and those frequent times when I have more than one driver and one passenger. I've been putting 5 - 7K miles a year on my 67 Pickup, traveling back and forth to work, that will now switch to the SSR. I am going to semi-retire the Pickup and use it on the weekends for my Home Depot, auto parts and salvage runs.

As for the Garage Queen.... I know exactly what you mean. My Corvette has clearly become a Garage Queen. It will be 2 years old in March 2005 and I don't have 7K miles on it..... But I think it is a beautiful car and I still enjoy it.... so, I know that I have lost money (while I have made money on some of my classics), but I love the car!

My biggest concern is the problems with the SSR that I read about on this site. I'm really not interested in traveling back and forth to the dealer. I'm used to Chevy's that just run and run and run!

·
Administrator
8,205 Posts
WNY area

Yes SPEDS is one of the few from our forum here that have taken advantage of the huge discounts that are being offered here in Western NY area. (again I think the best prices anywhere) There have been at least 4 out of state buyers that I am aware of that found the trip more than worth the time and effort to get here.

I am glad we have this forum for all of us to share information, ideas and yes even best prices so that we all can utilize to our advantage and be able to make more informed decisions! :thumbs

Ps. I am glad to have been able to help you locate your new Ultra-Violet SSR!!!! ENJOY ENJOY!
:flag

Bill Bogert said:
B: Your logic remains sound. I have always been conservative in my decisions and this one is a little on the radical side. Regardless, my plan is to drive this silver baby!...
.... My biggest concern is the problems with the SSR that I read about on this site. I'm really not interested in traveling back and forth to the dealer. I'm used to Chevy's that just run and run and run!
Hey Bill,

You will find that the 05 should be much much better since there has been a lot of great feedback to GM and they have addressed most if not nearly all of the issues of the 03s and early on 04s! I think you will have very few issues to deal with. Go 6-Speed... soon coming!
:thumbs

·
Registered
111 Posts
Marc:

Thanks very much for this feed back. you are not only a very active member of this site, but in some way connected... and therefore a trusted respondent. I'm looking forward to the 6-Speed!!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Marc:

What kind of deal can I make in WNY???

I'm in southern New Jersey outside of Philadelphia.

Money talks!

Any help that you can provide will be greatly appreciated……

·
Administrator
8,205 Posts
Moi?

Thanks Bill for the kind words which I don't really deserve... I just have a few friends here and there that I ask to help me out. (sometimes they are right on and then sometimes ... well... ) ;)
I am a firm believer in that the more information we all can share, the more we can learn from each other.
:flag

Ps, Bill if you like to ask more please PM me.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Is this a good deal on an 05?

Buying an 05 Aqua Blur #17082 with...

1SB package
Special Paint
Custom floor mats
Integrated saddle bags
Chrome wheels
Integrated running boards
Cargo netting package
License plate bracket

Sticker is $49,165
Paying $47,135.

Is this a good deal?
Truck is in transit to dealer

Dave

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
options

Dave,

If I were you, I'd pick either the side saddle or the cargo net. You really can't get both to work together. There are other threads on this topic.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
This is a preordered truck by the dealer for their inventory. I didn't order it. I don't plan on using the saddle bags.They seem kind of like cheap plastic.

Dave

1 - 20 of 21 Posts