Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just dropped my SSR at Diablo Sport for the 1st install of the '05 Predator. Will have results and dyno for ya'll in a few days when I p/u.

Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
I've been told that they are looking to release them next week. I hope that happens soon because our pre-order list is getting very long!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
tbyrne - When will you have a ship date for your orders?

Any ideal of what parameters you will be able to adjust? Please tell me you will be able to adjust the torque management...


2005 SSR Silver
2003 SSR Yellow (gone)
—————————————————————————————————
Our other cars: 2006 Z06 DSOM / 2006 CLS55 Silver / 2005 SL65 Pewter / 2005 G55 Graphite / 2005 Boxster S Seal Grey / 2005 MazdaSpeed Miata Red / 2004 Gallardo Yellow / 2004 NSX Black / 2002 Candy Red Prowler + 2001 Orange Prowler + 2001 Silver Prowler + 1999 Yellow Prowler / 2002 35th Anniversary Camaro SS Convertible / 1970 Black Chevy SWB Pick up / 1969 Garnet Red Camaro SS 350 / 1969 Chevelle SS 396 / 1969 Impala SS 427 / 1968 Chevy Step Side Truck L98/700r4 / 1967 Hugger Orange Camaro 400 / 1966 GTO / 1955 Yellow Chevrolet Truck / 1934 Ford Sedan / 1930 Ford Hiboy Coupe 302 5spd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
We've had a large order in with Diablo for awhile. That will be ending this way as soon as they release the units. This will cover all of our pre-orders plus we should still have more available for new orders.

Info that we have for this is -

The Predator is a state-of-the art high performance tuning flash programmer, which advances the timing, optimizes the air/fuel ratio and remaps the transmission shift points (in automatic transmissions). Unlike other 'tuners', DiabloSport’s programming is performed in very small increments throughout the entire RPM range, for a smoother, wider and a more predictable power delivery.


This unit has taken the hand-held programmer to a new level. You will notice quicker acceleration and better throttle response. If you have an automatic transmission, the Predator will also give you a firmer, more responsive shift pattern (gas vehicles only at this time). The Predator will raise your rev limiter as well as it allows you to raise your top end speed limiter if you have installed high speed rated tires.

A unique feature of the Predator is that is allows you, the user, to “fine tune” DiabloSports program. Since vehicles are located at different elevations or different weather climates, the way the vehicle responds to the DiabloSport program may vary (not all vehicles are exactly alike). Some vehicles will see better gains than others and some may see better (or worse) gains than advertised. This is due to the fact that not all vehicles respond exactly the same. Now, here’s the good news…If you're not totally satisfied with the way DiabloSport program performs, the Predator allows you to make your own adjustments to the program. For example: If you feel that the shift points are too firm, you can go into the program and lower the transmission line pressure (gas vehicles). If you feel that you can benefit from a higher shift point rpm, you can go into the program and raise shift points. If you feel that you will benefit from a few more degrees of ignition timing, you can go into the program and add some timing (gas vehicles). The Predator allows you to "fine tune" the DiabloSport program to meet your specific requirements.

The Predator has diagnostic abilities near identical to GM’s Tech2 software. The predator will allow you to read diagnostic trouble codes (DTC), erase DTC’s and perform live data monitoring. You can monitor your engine sensors while driving your vehicle and much more.

You will be able to take care of torque management! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Question,
I had heard that Diablosport has been known to be troublesom. I was told to go with Hypertech when it becomes available. I would like to know your thoughts.
Thanks
Bard
'05 :ssr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
We used to sell alot of the Hypertech programmers before the Predator came out. Now we're lucky to sell one of those for every 50 Predators. I think I've only heard of 1 or 2 Predators that had an issue over the last few years. I've programmed a number of vehicles with them. No problems at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got the results!

STORMCAT said:
We'll be waiting for the specs and results etc...

I p/u'd my SSR today and drove home 60 miles. Smoother shifting, more tourqe, and appears faster.

Here's a quote from Johan (in charge of R&D)"What i did in the tune was:
Add timing, not much.
Lean out air fuel ratio and allow it to go into PE mode at an earlier
%throttle position. PE mode is same as closed loop.
Remove torque management.
Remove speed limiter
Increase fan speeds and allow the fans to come on earlier."

l'll post dyno when I can.

Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JRSSR said:
I p/u'd my SSR today and drove home 60 miles. Smoother shifting, more tourqe, and appears faster.

Here's a quote from Johan (in charge of R&D)"What i did in the tune was:
Add timing, not much.
Lean out air fuel ratio and allow it to go into PE mode at an earlier
%throttle position. PE mode is same as closed loop.
Remove torque management.
Remove speed limiter
Increase fan speeds and allow the fans to come on earlier."

l'll post dyno when I can.

Jeff
PS; How do I post dyno results? I have them in adobe?
 

·
Senior Privileged Member
Joined
·
4,100 Posts
JRSSR said:
I p/u'd my SSR today and drove home 60 miles. Smoother shifting, more tourqe, and appears faster.

Here's a quote from Johan (in charge of R&D)"What i did in the tune was:
Add timing, not much.
Lean out air fuel ratio and allow it to go into PE mode at an earlier
%throttle position. PE mode is same as closed loop.
Remove torque management.
Remove speed limiter
Increase fan speeds and allow the fans to come on earlier."

l'll post dyno when I can.

Jeff

jrssr: Three things to be very careful of:

1. See my comments on torque management in the thread

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7044


2. Remember that removing the speed limiter does NOT upgrade the factory tires, which are only rated to something like 125 or 130 mph. The whole reason for the speed limiter WAS these tires.

3. I don't believe that the fan SPEED can be increased.

Jim G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
615 Posts
tbyrne said:
We've had a large order in with Diablo for awhile. That will be ending this way as soon as they release the units. This will cover all of our pre-orders plus we should still have more available for new orders.

Info that we have for this is -

The Predator is a state-of-the art high performance tuning flash programmer, which advances the timing, optimizes the air/fuel ratio and remaps the transmission shift points (in automatic transmissions). Unlike other 'tuners', DiabloSport’s programming is performed in very small increments throughout the entire RPM range, for a smoother, wider and a more predictable power delivery.


This unit has taken the hand-held programmer to a new level. You will notice quicker acceleration and better throttle response. If you have an automatic transmission, the Predator will also give you a firmer, more responsive shift pattern (gas vehicles only at this time). The Predator will raise your rev limiter as well as it allows you to raise your top end speed limiter if you have installed high speed rated tires.

A unique feature of the Predator is that is allows you, the user, to “fine tune” DiabloSports program. Since vehicles are located at different elevations or different weather climates, the way the vehicle responds to the DiabloSport program may vary (not all vehicles are exactly alike). Some vehicles will see better gains than others and some may see better (or worse) gains than advertised. This is due to the fact that not all vehicles respond exactly the same. Now, here’s the good news…If you're not totally satisfied with the way DiabloSport program performs, the Predator allows you to make your own adjustments to the program. For example: If you feel that the shift points are too firm, you can go into the program and lower the transmission line pressure (gas vehicles). If you feel that you can benefit from a higher shift point rpm, you can go into the program and raise shift points. If you feel that you will benefit from a few more degrees of ignition timing, you can go into the program and add some timing (gas vehicles). The Predator allows you to "fine tune" the DiabloSport program to meet your specific requirements.

The Predator has diagnostic abilities near identical to GM’s Tech2 software. The predator will allow you to read diagnostic trouble codes (DTC), erase DTC’s and perform live data monitoring. You can monitor your engine sensors while driving your vehicle and much more.

You will be able to take care of torque management! :)

My experience is only with SuperChips and Ford-i.e. Cobra Mustang. Point is this, as told to me by Superchip Tuner at Sanford, that in fact Ford (the Dealer) can detect multi-flashes of the PCM and as many users of DiabloSport and Superchips can attest to "Factory Warranties" have been VOIDED. The only way around this is having 2 PCM's, as I did for my Cobra Mustang. Stock PCM for warranty problems and High Performance PCM for having fun. Non believers can check the Cobra-Mustang Forums, as many users have had their Factory Warranties VOIDED.
 

·
Senior Privileged Member
Joined
·
4,100 Posts
Royalshowing: It depends on the circumstances.

The manufacturer cannot unilaterally void your warranty for the mere act of using an aftermarket tune or aftermarket product. He has to establish that it was the tune or product or mod that created the failure that you are trying to get warranty coverage on.

For example, a problem with the air conditioning, or warped brake discs, cannot be blamed on the use of a microtuner.

On the other hand, a custom tune COULD be a contributor to an automatic transmission failure, specially if "torque management" had been disabled by the tune.

And it would almost certainly be blamed for a holed piston caused by too much spark advance.

I would guess that it is the owners with recurring warranty claims that draw the attention of the zone rep or manufacturer, who become suspicious that the history on a particular car is highly unusual. While your swapping PCMs is creative, there are signs that a warranty rep or service manager are instructed to look for on a vehicle that they suspect has been "abused". A couple of those signs are rubber deposits in the rear inner wheel fenders, and of course the condition of the tires relative to the odometer mileage.

Jim G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
615 Posts
JimGnitecki said:
Royalshowing: It depends on the circumstances.

The manufacturer cannot unilaterally void your warranty for the mere act of using an aftermarket tune or aftermarket product. He has to establish that it was the tune or product or mod that created the failure that you are trying to get warranty coverage on.

For example, a problem with the air conditioning, or warped brake discs, cannot be blamed on the use of a microtuner.

On the other hand, a custom tune COULD be a contributor to an automatic transmission failure, specially if "torque management" had been disabled by the tune.

And it would almost certainly be blamed for a holed piston caused by too much spark advance.

I would guess that it is the owners with recurring warranty claims that draw the attention of the zone rep or manufacturer, who become suspicious that the history on a particular car is highly unusual. While your swapping PCMs is creative, there are signs that a warranty rep or service manager are instructed to look for on a vehicle that they suspect has been "abused". A couple of those signs are rubber deposits in the rear inner wheel fenders, and of course the condition of the tires relative to the odometer mileage.

Jim G

FYI, Supercharged Cobra SVT's are checked for any related "Drive Train" failure. The PCM for being flashed repeatedly and Pulley measurement/Pulley seal and the"Whole Warranty is VOIDED" (Of Course you could sue them, but to my knowledge, know one has yet). Being GM has the Famous "Black Crash Box", nothing would surprise me about hidden programing in the PCM. Also Zone SVT rep's have gone to Car Shows/Cruises/Drag Strips and wrote down VIN numbers of Modified SVT vehicles and upon next warranty visit, the they are informed that the "Whole Warranty is VOID". Manufacturers such as those of the Mitsubishi Lancer EVO and Subaru WRX, have used road racing data to VOID Warranties of those vehicles. Check around and learn some things.
 

·
Senior Privileged Member
Joined
·
4,100 Posts
Royalshowing: You have told me nothing new. Yes of course factory reps will want to exclude vehicles that have been involved in racing or have been visibly modified, from warranty coverage.

The problem wth participating in any "racing" or "competitive" event is that, per the warranty language, your warranty IS void.

What I am talking about though is NOT going racing, but rather some mods to a vehicle used on the street. That's different.

Regardless of the zone reps' wishes, if you go in with an electrical or paint problem, it's pretty tough for them to try to deny warranty based on a PCM mod. Your state attorney general's office would make that really clear to them.

Again, I'm talking moderate mods, not all-out street racers. You surely can't expect GM or Ford to finance your street racing.

Jim G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
615 Posts
JimGnitecki said:
Regardless of the zone reps' wishes, if you go in with an electrical or paint problem, it's pretty tough for them to try to deny warranty based on a PCM mod. Your state attorney general's office would make that really clear to them.


Jim G
You miss many points like "Also Zone SVT rep's have gone to Car Shows/Cruises", these are Not racing events, i think your experience on outer Internet Boards is short. As, said before "Total Warranty Voided" for C&L MAF on Cobras, found Multi Flashing of PCM. I.E. Service Department may have to go in to the PCM to correct a minor problem and by accident find that PCM has been flashed and parameters changed. If, true they will inform GM and your Whole Warranty will be voided. Having been on Corvette Forum, Z06vette.com, Viperalley.com, STLMustangs.com, Stangnet.com, etc. The State Attorney will Not fight with GM, Ford, or D.C. over your warranty. Read the other "Boards" and you will find that it has been done and not just rarely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Third Quarter 2005

So, does anyone have any recent info on a release date for the LS2 Predator? (You know, the one this thread is supposed to be about) Last I had heard they were shooting for Dec 1st. Guess they didn't make it. Tbyrne have you been given any info yet?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Waiting!

AusTexKid said:
So, does anyone have any recent info on a release date for the LS2 Predator? (You know, the one this thread is supposed to be about) Last I had heard they were shooting for Dec 1st. Guess they didn't make it. Tbyrne have you been given any info yet?
I'm waiting to hear from Johan at Diablo Sport to bring up my '05 for a final ck up. I'll say one thing, the tourque is up; easy to burn rubber in 1st and 2nd(auto). Gas mileage seems better, I'll know after a few tanks and it shifts better. Does anyone know how I can post my dyno results?

Jeff
 
1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Top