Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all :seeya

I've been lurking for a while picking up info (and waiting for the manual tranny to arrive). I've driven an '04 and am waiting to drive the manual before I completely make up my mind, but I've got a number of questions already...

1) when will manual's actually arrive in showrooms? i'm guessing January at the earliest?

2) how well does the windbreak work? the one on my '01 M3 vert was invaluable

3) $745 for the running boards, how much is dealer labor to install em?

4) anyone run with the tonneau cover off for extended periods of time? any wear concerns? what about wind drag? i'm guessing it's at least a 2 person job to remove?

5) i'm 6'3" - reactions from other tall owners? visibility and comfort seemed fine on the test drive.

6) is $500 over invoice on an 05 as good a price as I think it is?

7) why don't they offer a charcoal grey?!?!?!?! has anyone repainted their ssr? :D

8) why do the showroom salesmen know SO much less than me about the vehicle?

9) has anyone set up an aftermarket tow package and done any real towing? I'd love to be able to tow my 21' wakeboarding boat 45 miles for service 2-3 times a year (flat road)

10) did anyone consider getting a C6 instead? :angel

11) what's insurance like? i paid $1,800/year on my M3 and i pay $1,100 year currently on a Cooper S - can i expect something inbetween?

Thanks all and I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions before it's all over...
Wes

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am getting my '05 for $217 over factory invoice. This is for a Slingshot Yellow with 1SB, running boards, and factory accessory gauge package. This is from Aubrey Chevrolet in Lawton, Oklahoma. Dave Smith Motors in Kellogg, Idaho will give you the same deal. Cleavermodels.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Manual tranny will begin production this month. However, there have been some early problems with them. Expect them in December.

Windbreak makes a huge difference. No longer need a hat.

No extra charge for installation on dealer install items. If you want to save a few bucks, order without it then buy from GMPartsDirect.com and install them yourself.

I'm 6'2" and 210 lbs. Plenty of head room. A little tight in the hips, but no more than any other car with bucket seats.

$500 over invoice is a good deal. I got one for $250 over.

State Farm has the SSR in the same insurance category as a Chevy Colorado Pick-up truck - so - not too bad at all.

Hope it helps!

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
matjow said:
Manual tranny will begin production this month. However, there have been some early problems with them. Expect them in December.

Windbreak makes a huge difference. No longer need a hat.

No extra charge for installation on dealer install items. If you want to save a few bucks, order without it then buy from GMPartsDirect.com and install them yourself.

I'm 6'2" and 210 lbs. Plenty of head room. A little tight in the hips, but no more than any other car with bucket seats.

$500 over invoice is a good deal. I got one for $250 over.

State Farm has the SSR in the same insurance category as a Chevy Colorado Pick-up truck - so - not too bad at all.

Hope it helps!
Matjow - State Farm where?? I'm with State Farm and they have me in the same category as a 'vette.

S

·
0 Posts
pesos said:
Hi all :seeya

January is a good time for them to arrive if not December.

Wind break is excellent but difficult to see in the dark when backing up.

Don't take the bed cover off your just asking for trouble.

Have the dealer install the running boards and get the warranty.

I drove to florida from michigan in 19 hours I was stiff but it was very fun.

$500 is not bad over invoice.

Rick Wagoner is taller and heavier.

Cost money to have so much selection in colors.

Salesmen must know ALL GM products to some degree. Can you name them all? :)

DON't set up an after market tow package. Buy the SSR tow package this is a european style. I tow my deck boat no problem but watch out for boat ramps with lots of algae.

the manual is worth the wait IT SCREAMS :reddevil

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys --

the stock tow package is rated at only 2500 lbs which isn't even close to my boat/trailer...

i understand about the colors, just wishful thinking =)

what does the warranty run on the boards?

what are the issues with running without the cover on?

thanks again,
Wes

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
SSR GM CEN ENG said:
Don't take the bed cover off your just asking for trouble.
Ok, I'll bite. What kind of trouble. Damage? Problems getting it to reseal? Dosen't realign well? I gotta know!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Please tell me more about the manual... how do you know it screams?

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,541 Posts
6-Speed Awesome!

Hey Bill,

I posted this in another thread earlier today but thought you might like to see it here just in case you missed it. It is an email I got from a friend at GM who works at the SSR Plant she test drove a 6-Speed today.

Marc,
All is well here - I'm getting close to the season I love best - fall and winter - LET IT SNOW! I am sure you are wishing for less of this with having the SSR. .... Hey, I drove a 6 speed manual today - it was awesome. What a blast!!

SO BILL.... if a woman thinks a 6-speed is awesome to drive imagine what you might think of it .... :thumbs I can't wait to get a test drive in one someday soon!

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Any info on when the 6 speed will be on the show rooms?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts