Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the '05 with the 6 speed manual tranny can be towed on 4 wheels without a driveline disconnect? I plan to tow one behind my RV and I know the 4 speed automatic needs the disconnect but would like to know if the manual trans can be towed at freeway speeds, in neutral of course with the driveshaft turning.

Thanks

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Towing

Let me start with I don't know for sure but...
Flat towing a vehicle with a manual trans presents an issue inside the trans that is dependant on the construction of the trans. With the trans in neutral the input shaft which is connected to the engine via the clutch is not turning. The rear wheels are turning therefore the driveshaft and output shaft are turning. At some point in the transmission there is a bearing or a set of needle bearings there the input and output meet. These bearings are the ones getting a workout when towing. The question is then, for a given, transmission, are the bearings being actively lubricated in this configuration? I'm not yet familiar enough with the Tremec to know the answer. A way around this issue is to devise a way to depress the clutch so the input and output will turn as one unit. Another option would be to run the SSR in neutral for a minute or so every 200 to 400 miles of towing.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
tremec link

You might also want to try to contact the manufactures of the transmission. I towed a mustang with a 5spd tremec on a dolly (front wheels on dolly, rears on pavement) with no problems, but never diid it for an extended distance. Usually towed 100 to 150 miles. Also if you do tow, make sure you ise a synthetic lubricant in it. That might give better lubrication on the needle bearing while towing.

here is the link to Tremec.
http://www.tremec.com/English/home/home.asp

·
Registered
590 Posts
hdflstf said:
A way around this issue is to devise a way to depress the clutch so the input and output will turn as one unit.
That proceedure would have the input shaft turning in the pilot bearing(flywheel/crank shaft) and I know some owners have had warranty claims to change that bearing under normal driving conditions.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,194 Posts
Manual Transmission Lubrication

Pushrods4ever said:
Anyone know if the '05 with the 6 speed manual tranny can be towed on 4 wheels without a driveline disconnect? I plan to tow one behind my RV and I know the 4 speed automatic needs the disconnect but would like to know if the manual trans can be towed at freeway speeds, in neutral of course with the driveshaft turning.

Thanks
Please consider that the dispersion of oil in a typical manual transmission is accomplished by the cluster gear (physically below the input and output shafts and bathed in the oil) that is always turning any time the input shaft is rotating. Without a gear to pick up oil connected to the output shaft, you will not have lubrication to the set of output bearings on the transmission.

My view of the repair manual for the T-56 leads me to believe that the reverse idler gear is driven by the output shaft, thereby picking up the oil for lubricating the output bearing. If this is true, you will have lube to the rear bearing assembly and not need to disconnect the drive shaft.

Please contact Transmission Technologies (Tremec) on their customer support line @ (800) 401-9866. One of the key technical questions should concern the reverse idler gear running on the output shaft. If they confirm this, you are home free in my book.

Best Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses on my Tow question

Thank you for all the input on my towing question. It looks like the SSR with the manual transmisson can NOT be towed on all fours unless you use a driveline disconnect like the REMCO unit. A call to Tremec and Remco has confirmed this. So if you wish to tow one of these wonderful units behind your RV, you have the choice of using a trailer to put all fours on the trailer or a tow dolly with the rear wheels on the dolly and of course the drive line disconnect that prevents the drive shaft from turning while in motion. This of course is true for the automatic tranny also.

Thanks again for the prompt, quality responses.

Doug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts