Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my 05 Automatic Trans. Died .Was accellerating in Drive when it Quit Pulling ,still had good first and second ,slipped in third and nothing in drive .I think it must be spragg or a seal. IT is at a dealership here in Landcaster ,hope to have it out before Saturday. HAS ANY ONE HAD THIS PROBLEM ??:banghead :smash Kay
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2005SSR6Speed said:
It is very important to not shift the transmission manually as it will engage the next gear without the proper line preasure and allow the clutches to slip and burn out eventually
I was in drive not shifting manually
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,179 Posts
Here is my Feb. string on my '04 transmission - Transmission - 3rd gear non functional

I need help & guidance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The 3rd gear (auto) quit working while I was traveling home today. The engine would rev up to 5000 rpm but would not engage. I drop down to 50 mph and manually shifted into 2 and that gear would engage. I pulled into the nearest Chevy dealer and they hooked up the code unit but not error showed. We drove around the block and in D the transmission would shift from 1st to 2nd. The Dealer has it now. So let the guessing begin. I guess it is time to invest in GM extended warranty
I took it to Vandergriff in Arlington. I was just 2 miles away when the problem occurred. Checked the trans fluid and it was clean, un burnt, and no bubbles. Only third gear is out.

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got the SSR back this afternoon. Tranny is completed function. Service guy said they completed rebuilt the transmission, but could not pin point a root cause. 3rd gear went first, then 4 . Second & first were on their way south. Tech said it looked like third gear just failed all at once and then caused the rest of damage. They replaced fluid pump also.

Sound similar??????????????????
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ssr3 said:
Here is my Feb. string on my '04 transmission - Transmission - 3rd gear non functional

I need help & guidance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The 3rd gear (auto) quit working while I was traveling home today. The engine would rev up to 5000 rpm but would not engage. I drop down to 50 mph and manually shifted into 2 and that gear would engage. I pulled into the nearest Chevy dealer and they hooked up the code unit but not error showed. We drove around the block and in D the transmission would shift from 1st to 2nd. The Dealer has it now. So let the guessing begin. I guess it is time to invest in GM extended warranty
I took it to Vandergriff in Arlington. I was just 2 miles away when the problem occurred. Checked the trans fluid and it was clean, un burnt, and no bubbles. Only third gear is out.

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got the SSR back this afternoon. Tranny is completed function. Service guy said they completed rebuilt the transmission, but could not pin point a root cause. 3rd gear went first, then 4 . Second & first were on their way south. Tech said it looked like third gear just failed all at once and then caused the rest of damage. They replaced fluid pump also.

Sound similar??????????????????
How long did it take to repair ??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
I had an 02 GMC Sierra do that. I noticed it wasn't shifting right for about a month, monstly in extreme conditions, which is my normal. Then driving down the interstate it started slipping in 3rd and 4th. I pulled into the gas station checked my fluids and they were fine. Got about 3 miles down the road running about 75-80mph when 3rd and 4th dropped. Lets just say the engine was really winding in 2nd at those speeds. My extended warrenty covered it all but half the tow bill. It's a non GM extended warrenty. They said the clutches were burnt up and they rebuilt it.
 

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
Joined
·
1,436 Posts
Yikes!

2005SSR6Speed said:
It is very important to not shift the transmission manually as it will engage the next gear without the proper line preasure and allow the clutches to slip and burn out eventually
I need to understand this better. I live in a mountainous area and frequently downshift our 2003 Trailblazer. Usually from Drive to "3" and occasionally to "2" if the hill is exceptionally steep and winding. I was planning on doing the same with the SSR. Some of the winding downgrades would have me riding the brakes way to much if I didn't drop down a notch or two. So how much wear and tear am I placing on the stock tranny? When I drop down to a lower gear rpm's will generally be in the 3000 range. I had no idea I was potentially causing premature failure of the tranny.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,926 Posts
It is okay to down shift and upshift so long as it is not done while depressing the skinny pedal real hard. The line preasure will recover in a fraction of a second and then it is fine. What hurts it is when it is done like at the strip on while racing from a light and the transmission will slip until the line preasure can recover and apply the forces needed to hold the clutches from slipping.
 

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
Joined
·
1,436 Posts
Thanks!

2005SSR6Speed said:
It is okay to down shift and upshift so long as it is not done while depressing the skinny pedal real hard. The line preasure will recover in a fraction of a second and then it is fine. What hurts it is when it is done like at the strip on while racing from a light and the transmission will slip until the line preasure can recover and apply the forces needed to hold the clutches from slipping.
OK...Thanks! I'm almost always in a coasting situation when I down or upshift so it sounds like I'll be OK...had me real nervous there!:eek :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good News

Finally received word that the problem was the valve body . should be ready tomorrow .Hope everything is right:smash
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
904 Posts
2005SSR6Speed said:
I only know of one other and it was supercharged and at the drag strip when the same thing happened.
Was you talking about me, If not you can say I know 2 and it was supercharged and at the drag strip when the same thing happened. I really didn't care now I have a good tranny that I don't have to worry about any more, Cost was $2600, Sorry mine is a 04
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
2005SSR6Speed said:
It is very important to not shift the transmission manually as it will engage the next gear without the proper line preasure and allow the clutches to slip and burn out eventually
I thought that all modern automatic transmissions were "shift by wire" implementations, so that there's a "little brain" somewhere that overrides / prevents gear changes "requested" by the shifter, if making the gear change would cause problem or harm.

My 2000 Chrysler 300M had an "AutoStick," and there were specified speed/RPM ranges (documented in the owner's manual) at which certain up-/downshifts would be denied.

An automanual transmission is one of the few features the SSR lacks that I miss from the 300M it replaced. Fortunately, my wife's SLK320 has it (a 5-speed, at that), so I can get enjoy this fun activity in her wheels, instead. I still shift up/down through the SSR's gears occasionally, although I seldom if ever "punch" the throttle (shifting or not), and never "stand on it."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
904 Posts
Had RPM transmission bullet proof it and top it off with a Vigilante 9 inch 2800 t/c, Has a life time guarantee, Not bad with them knowing it is a drag racing street truck and if you change engines or go with nos doesn't matter, They are the only ones that offer that that I know of and talked to top drag racers and they said RPM was the best .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
All of this tranny talk brings up a question. My '05 has all of 1200 miles on it and I noticed that sometimes under normal accelleration it will shift into second and then about one or two seconds later I can feel a "bump" like it locks in. (hard to describe). 3rd and 4th seem to shift OK.
Anyone else have this phenomenon?
Ron
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top