Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short. On October 1st I drove 1800 miles round trip and trailerd home the #3 of 45 Brickyard SSR's. It has the window sticker signed by Jeff Burton and a plaque from Indy. WOW ! I almost cried when they took me into the owners collection room and there it sat. They could have asked 70,000 and I would have said yes.

This is the first new car purchase I have ever made @39 years old.

The problem is this: I didnt intend to "keep" the truck but just wanted it for investment purposes. Now I stare at it in my shop and have only put 110 miles on it. It's super hard not to drive it. In fact I think I am in lust with it at the moment.

I have read many posts here and I am wondering on your opinions of when and if to sell it.

I had a reservation set for the Barrett Jackson auction and backed out. Just couldnt do it. Maybe I should keep it a year and the value will go up?

Maybe I will wish I never let it go?

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,058 Posts
Be careful

Driving one of these is like taking drugs...... :ssr Once you start, you don't wanna stop.

Lust is a good description..... and it doesn't seem to go away. :reddevil

The passion is awesome...... :cool

oooooohhhhhhh nnnnnooooooooo :eek

I'm hooked! :willy:

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
#3 of 45

#3of45 I had a reservation set for the Barrett Jackson auction and backed out. Just couldnt do it. Maybe I should keep it a year and the value will go up?

My personal opinion is to keep it for a while. I do think the value will increase! Just keep the miles low for now. But defiantly drive it! The addiction is incredible! The desire is fanatical!!! That is one sweet ride :thumbs

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Brickyard

#3of45 said:
Long story short. On October 1st I drove 1800 miles round trip and trailerd home the #3 of 45 Brickyard SSR's. It has the window sticker signed by Jeff Burton and a plaque from Indy. WOW ! I almost cried when they took me into the owners collection room and there it sat. They could have asked 70,000 and I would have said yes.

The problem is this: I didnt intend to "keep" the truck but just wanted it for investment purposes. Now I stare at it in my shop and have only put 110 miles on it. It's super hard not to drive it. In fact I think I am in lust with it at the moment.

I have read many posts here and I am wondering on your opinions of when and if to sell it.

I had a reservation set for the Barrett Jackson auction and backed out. Just couldnt do it. Maybe I should keep it a year and the value will go up?

Hey #3of45,

I have #28of45. Tony Stewart. I would not part with it. If you only have the one SSR. Drive it. Have had mine 3 weeks 1900 miles. :thumbs

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mason57 said:
Hey #3of45,

I have #28of45. Tony Stewart. I would not part with it. If you only have the one SSR. Drive it. Have had mine 3 weeks 1900 miles.

If I had more than one, I think I would have to live in it. I have a very sweet 66 Chevelle that I get my agressions out of. So it's sorta like trying to keep two girls happy at once.

Nice to hear from you though #28

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi neighbor!

I bought my '05 without even a test drive. Your story sounds like you did too. Once I drove it, I knew I had made a wise decision and in my ecstasy I've never looked back. This is one sexy set of wheels! Drive it! :seeya

·
Banned
183 Posts
#3of45 said:

Here is what you should do. ENJOY IT at any price. The truck was made to be driven and enjoyed by its owner. DRIVE IT. Never look at a car of ANY type to be an investment. :lol . Instead look at it as "Entertainment" as you would going out for dinner or going to show. Now really read your words above and tell me that you want to sell her. My call is that "Your Truth" is really that you want to get into her and enjoy her. Follow your heart not your wallet, Life is simply to short to live it any other way.

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

As an investment .. you should only have to sit and look at it for about 20 years. If you have followed Barrett Jackson ... they tell you that celeberty stuff will not add much to the value. Drive it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
To hell with the investment. Drive it. It's a gas. It puts a spring in your step, color in your cheeks and a good looking thing in your passanger seat. What more do you need!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Drive it! As others have said, in the short term, it will depreciate significantly whether you drive it or not. These things are not going to hold their value, and the signature, etc. means very little toward adding $$$$$. You will have a lot more fun with it driving it than you will staring at it in the garage. :thumbs

DRIVE IT!

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,058 Posts
Caution

All of the responses to your initial question are from confirmed SSR junkies. Odd, I agree with all of them......... DRIVE IT.

Once you have, you'll never go back........................

Does this sound like a bunch of raving addicts?

I hope so!!!!

Mikey

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Keep it covered up and on blocks in storage for 20 years. Put boxes on it so that you won't be tempted to look under the cover at it. Never look at any pictures of an SSR again. You can probably sell it for twice what you paid, if you are still alive.

(Hmmmm, I like to be different :reddevil )

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK.... OK.... I hear you all loud and clear.

I drove it about 140 miles yesterday! I just sorta got lost on the back roads and didnt realize that I was late for work. (night shift)

Thanks for your support. I guess sometimes you just need a little re-assurance that being the owner of an SSR requires driving it and any cost. It's nice not to be alone. (although you're all SSR raving nutz)

·
Registered
110 Posts
The last ...

thing you want to be thinking about when you make that final trip outta here is "...I sure wish I hadda driven the SSR more..." It's made to drive and enjoy - what the heck, saving it for later you'll find later never gets here until it's TOO LATE! :cool

1 - 20 of 42 Posts