Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a screw-up by my dealer last week, the correct pedals arrived today. They really went out of their way to get the correct pedals for today.Total install time was about 35 minutes. Hardest part was the gas pedal.

A few tips if you are going to do this yourself. Gas pedal has three 10mm bolts on the outside of the plastic housing. There is also 1 electrical plug that should be removed first. Next remove the top bolt on the gas pedal. You will need a 1/4 drive ratchet with a SHORT socket or a wrench. Once the top bolt is removed, the bottom two can easily be removed and the pedal will come off. To reinstall, place a bolt thru the top hole and then put the pedal in place. It will be easier if you then start the lower 2 bolts prior to trying to get the top one started. Do not tighten till the top bolt is in. Very little room for your hands and it must be started by hand. Bolts are about 2 1/2" long. Tighten all 3 to 15 ftlbs., replace the electrical plug and the pedal is complete.

Remove the rubber brake pedal by lifting one side and giving a gentile pull. It comes right off. To install the new one, start on one side a gently pull the rubber over the pedal. In the corners I used a short flat screwdriver to assist.

To install the dead man pedal, clean off the exsisting area throughly. I used 91% alcohol. Line up the pedal, remove the paper covering the adhesive strips and push. I used a heat gun to warm it up so it would adhere better. A hair dryer would do the same.

As you can see, to end result looks great. Real nice addition to the interior!!

bcbear
:thumbs :thumbs :thumbs

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hello bcbear10,
Thank you for the pics.
I noticed one thing about your dead man pedal. My 03 has molded carpet there with a pad on top ?

Update:
I just read a new kick panel was made to make room for the clutch pedal. Guess I have to order a new lower side panel which I do not see in the parts manual ?

Thanks,
Pretzel~

Found a picture of Wildcats pedals, hope she dont mind me re-posting it. :) Deadman pedal has carpet.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
STORMCAT said:
How much was the kit? Can it be ordered from GM Direct?
I found the part # on GM parts direct. They had no price listed so I went to my dealer and he was able to order them for me. In the last 5 days I have had both the 6 speed kit and the aoutomatic kit here. Pics were posted on both. My dealer really gave me a good deal on each. $150.00 plus tax. I do alot of buisness and referals with him so he doesn't try to make it up on my parts.......

Love the way they look and feel.

bcbear (marc)

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pretzel said:
Hello bcbear10,
Thank you for the pics.
I noticed one thing about your dead man pedal. My 03 has molded carpet there with a pad on top ?

Update:
I just read a new kick panel was made to make room for the clutch pedal. Guess I have to order a new lower side panel which I do not see in the parts manual ?

Thanks,
Pretzel~

Found a picture of Wildcats pedals, hope she dont mind me re-posting it. :) Deadman pedal has carpet.

The instructions say this kit will fit from 03-06 so I would guess the dead man pedal would just go over your exsisting pedal.

bcbear

·
Registered
421 Posts
What's the part number

Could you please post the GM part number for the automatic? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
matjow said:
Could you please post the GM part number for the automatic? Thanks!
Part # is 17800256. List price from the dealer is #199.00. GM parts direct does not offer this product as of now. All they show is the part #.

Hope this helps.

bcbear

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Thanks for sharing the great post and info. Just so I'm clear the break pedal cover and the deadman rest are just covers. The gas pedal is a complete replacement arm? Or did you have to take the arm out to get the gas pedal cover secured?
Thanks again,...

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
When I replaced my pedal, it was just the foot part. But the dealer had to take the arm off, and the pin holding the pedal on is machined in so not so easy to get out.

But it sounds like bcbear10 is telling us it is the whole arm replacement.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wildcat66 said:
When I replaced my pedal, it was just the foot part. But the dealer had to take the arm off, and the pin holding the pedal on is machined in so not so easy to get out.

But it sounds like bcbear10 is telling us it is the whole arm replacement.
You are correct wildcat! The entire arm gets replaced. I would believe this kit was intended for the do it at home group instead of a dealer install. I also have to believe that is the reason the dealer price ($199.00) is so steep. Three or four pedal covers could never cost that much for a gm truck. As I stated above in my post, the install with proper tools should take about 1/2 hour. Hour tops.

Love the look and feel of the pedals. Glad they are in.

bcbear

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks

Got mine installed today and they are worth EVERY penny! THnaks for the GREAT procedural advice! Worked like a charm. Your commentary and pictures made the entire deal a piece of cake!! THANKS AGAIN!!

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is a great price. Go for it !!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will love them-

bcbear

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Ok just beware, two of the little buttons have worn off the brake, and my husband says I never use the brake enough!:lol:lol

·
Registered
213 Posts
My new pedals are on and the gas pedal is a task. I strongly suggest a flat rachet wrench at Sears for $5.99. It has two sizes in the one wrench, 9mm and 10mm. I was not able to get to the three 10 mm bolts very well with a socket and handle. A tip to install the brake pedal is to put soft soap all over the rear of it and it goes on more easily than when dry.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Installed new pedals

I followed bcbear10 instrustions and they helped out a lot. I also heated the brake pedal with a hair dryer and that help stretch it out. The only problem that I came across is I did not get a second pin for the gas pedal so I cut off the plastic around the pin and threw away the old gas pedal. I then worked the old pin in the new gas pedal. Works just fine. Love the new look.

1. The gas pedal
2. The gas pedal installed in the truck (you can see how compact the area is)
3. The final product

Attachments

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
I followed bcbear10 instrustions and they helped out a lot. I also heated the brake pedal with a hair dryer and that help stretch it out. The only problem that I came across is I did not get a second pin for the gas pedal so I cut off the plastic around the pin and threw away the old gas pedal. I then worked the old pin in the new gas pedal. Works just fine. Love the new look.

1. The gas pedal
2. The gas pedal installed in the truck (you can see how compact the area is)
3. The final product
Sure looks funny down there without the other pedal..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts