Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Chevrolet SSR
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys here’s the dilemma- replaces ignition switch and transmission control module due to other issues. Only thing that won’t work now is roof won’t go down, message reads reduce speed. Traction control light on but my tech 2 obd scanner reads no codes. I can graph all systems and while system is in park with brake pressed abs is still reading 0.5 miles per hours. Also the transmission shift indicator does not come out of 1 gear although it’s shift perfectly and drivers right. Also no codes please help. Grounds have all been taken apart and cleaned

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,400 Posts
This sounds like a data issue to me. Not sure where you are in relation to Houston but there is a tech session at Winnie soon. You might want to check the Texas Forum under America at the bottom of the home page.

Reactions: Dicktator

·
Registered
2006 Chevrolet SSR
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This sounds like a data issue to me. Not sure where you are in relation to Houston but there is a tech session at Winnie soon. You might want to check the Texas Forum under America at the bottom of the home page.
7 hours from Houston, do you think it could be a wheel sensor issue

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,400 Posts
That would be above my pay grade, sorry.

·
Registered
2006 Chevrolet SSR
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well hopefully someone here can send me down a path to check out. I’m guessing the gear selector indicator has something to do with it. All the bushings are on and I have the upgrade kit for the bottom. Also cleaned all connections to transmission and solenoid.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Welcome from central Ohio.

I can determine its an 05 or 06 because it has a transmission control module TCM. But there are a few more things i would want to know.

Does the dash indicate trans in 1 all the time or does scan tool show that or both?
I don't believe its a transmission position sensor. Becuse it wouldn't crank if the ECM saw transmission in gear.

Did you have these problems (traction light, top inop) BEFORE replacing the TCM?

Did you purchase a new TCM and have it programmed for your VIN or did you buy TCM used?

I need these answers to rule some things out before i spend anytime on suggesting other data or things to look for on scanner.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Welcome to the Texas R's. The forum is a great place to have the gurus chime in and help you with your problems.
Texas R's would love to help you ... but, you are out there, a problem of such a big state.
When you have time please email me and I will get you in the loop of Texas events. [email protected]
Good luck with fixing your SSR. You have some wide-open land to make her run, in part of Texas.

·
Registered
2006 Chevrolet SSR
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New transmission control module and It has been programmed via vin. Issue was there before changing tranny module. Only shows in 1st but transmission shifts and drives perfectly. No codes show up at all on tech 2 scanner.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,399 Posts
@billy_badass, another Welcome from Forney Texas. Since it drives perfectly----as mentioned above, try to make it to Winnie this weekend if for nothing else than meet some GREAT people and maybe get your SSR fixed.

Nick

·
Registered
2006 Chevrolet SSR
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will try that after the rains stops. I took off fuse #27 to see if that reset the ecm although I reset and cleared system and drove for a good 30 minutes and nothing else came on other than traction control not working, roof not going down in park, and shifting indicator staying in 1.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Damn - I had written a nice reply tried to submit it and it wouldn't allow me to. There was an error code because site was down for maintenance. Now i come back and the draft is gone!

OK so here it goes again.
I hate to ask so many questions but this seems a little confusing and you have more knowledge that I do regarding this vehicle. I am sorry if these question might seem elementary to you but I have no knowledge and need some to continue.

First off some history would be nice. Why were these components replaced in the first place. To fix this problem or something else? If something else what were they and did they fix those issues. Did all of these problems happen at once or separately?

Do the windows work, including indexing?

can you turn trac light off? I have mine programmed so that the default is traction control is off. Therefore every time I start it the light is on but i can control it with the switch on the console.

Did you check ALL modules for codes and the ability to communicate? Some codes may not be communicated to other modules and will only be found in the module that detected them.
Specifically look at the TCM, Traction control/ABS (may be same or separate) , RDM and IPC.

Does the TECH 2 data list show for TCM data regarding transmission position (look for TFP switch and or TR switch) and IPC data (PRNDL data) show 1 st gear? While in those screens see if the data changes properly with the shifter movement.
Also check what vehicle speed is shown in these modules.

I have also found that a "hard reboot" is sometimes required to erase any learned issues that may be stored in a nonvolatile RAM (random access memory) just removing fuse from ECM may not reset all modules. For example I just got my SSR out of storage where battery was disconnected for almost 5 months and clock did need rest however radio presets were stilled stored. You can do this by disconnecting both battery cables and then touching the 2 disconnected cables together for a minute or two. NOTE you will have to re-index windows after performing this before top will work.

·
Registered
2006 Chevrolet SSR
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is a copy to the data from my obd tech 2 scanner. It should be viewable to anyone. Items replaced where due to malfunctions in those systems. Windows never had to be reinforced. Took off battery cables for a hour to release memory and it’s still doing the same thing. Tc works off switch on console and switch does not allow me to turn on/off but I can do it with my scanner. Still showing in gear 1 but drives normally and top won’t go down. Link to data Diagnostic Report SSR View attachment 575044

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
@billy_badass the only one of the attachments you posted that worked was for trac control data
My SSR shows 3 mph in trac control data but 0 mph in IPC data

Again did these problems start all at once or separately?

This is not a rebuild or flood car is it?
Just wondering because it seems that there are/was a lot of electrical issues that we still don't know about.

·
Registered
2006 Chevrolet SSR
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Problems started all at once and car has been babied and rarely even driven in rain. Gauges started acting up and first with top not going down and then tc and shift indicator. Replacing the module and ignition switched fixed every other issue except these. And the speed it is showing is in ipc data that’s what has me confused. I’m going to take off the speed sensors when I get home and clean them and connections and see if that works

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
What is speed on ipc data, again i couldn't see that.
For sh#ts & grin maybe try removing IPC fuse from underhood fuse box. IPC might be corrupting data line
Still interested in TCM data for trans position and vehicle speed vs ipc data for the same.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,686 Posts
You note the following relative to operation of Traction Control:

"Tc works off switch on console and switch does not allow me to turn on/off but I can do it with my scanner."

This is a bit confusing unless you are describing both how the switch works and how yours does not, but are you actually able to turn the Traction Control on/off via your scanner or are you checking the operation of the Traction Control light as part of an instrument panel lamp cluster test with the scanner? The latter would not be a true indication of the status of Traction Control operation.

Also, if neither the roof nor traction control switches on the console appear to be working, it is worth checking the condition of the contacts of both these console switches, which have been known to work intermittently or not at all as a result of inadvertent liquid spillage (e.g., coffee, soft drinks) that has seeped down onto the circuit plate. Disassembly of the console switch plate to check and/or clean these contacts is relatively straightforward.

The resolution of your photo isn’t completely clear but does the IPC error message read “Reduce Speed” or “Reduced Speed,” the latter indicating the engine is in a reduced power “limp” mode? It is highly unusual for such a condition not to be accompanied by other Diagnostic Trouble Codes pointing to the cause(s). And given this error message, does the truck go into a reduced engine power mode when this error message appears?

As Autoprof has suggested, there might be an issue with your IPC but bad circuit signal data would typically originate from another source. I would recommend checking the tightness and integrity of connections that you have disturbed, e.g., at the ignition switch and transmission control module, in addition to checking the console switches.

Hope these suggestions are helpful as you pursue a solution…keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts