Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
M '05 SSR just clocked over 2,000 miles. Besides the "tink" from the ds, I noticed today that on a WOT acceleration, I get a brief, loud, squeel from the transmission during the 1-2 shift. No squeels on 2-3 or 3-4. This only happens on hard acceleration runs, WOT or close. Lesser runs, normal traffic type acceleration, no squeel.

Obviously is is not supposed to happen, and I'm going to take her in to the dealer. It's easily reproducable.

What I'm asking is any ideas what it is so I can talk intelligently with the tech, and please don't tell me this is normal. My Marauder had a PI Stallion TC, but even with the stock TC, it never squeeled under WOT.

Also, am I doing damage with the WOT runs?

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
I prefer the stick to the auto, that being said I assure you that it is just a crisp shift. Your SSR is producing enough HP at the upper rpm range to break the tires loose for a fraction of a second. My SSR with 6 speed has ripped the tires loose on a 1-2 shift since brand new. It would only do it before at a 5500 or higher rpm shift. After the supercharger install I intentionally try to not chirp during shift or on take off, it is too easy now. I did chirp the tires at 70 mph the other day when I downshifted to 3rd playing on the freeway and I was accelerating not lefting off it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2005SSR6Speed said:
I prefer the stick to the auto, that being said I assure you that it is just a crisp shift. Your SSR is producing enough HP at the upper rpm range to break the tires loose for a fraction of a second. My SSR with 6 speed has ripped the tires loose on a 1-2 shift since brand new. It would only do it before at a 5500 or higher rpm shift. After the supercharger install I intentionally try to not chirp during shift or on take off, it is too easy now. I did chirp the tires at 70 mph the other day when I downshifted to 3rd playing on the freeway and I was accelerating not lefting off it.

I'm familiar with what a tire squeel sounds like, and this isn't it. This is coming from the front, underneath, and you can feel a slight vibration when it happens.

This isn't a 1-2 shift tire chirp.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Me too!

Donnysan said:
M '05 SSR just clocked over 2,000 miles. Besides the "tink" from the ds, I noticed today that on a WOT acceleration, I get a brief, loud, squeel from the transmission during the 1-2 shift. No squeels on 2-3 or 3-4. This only happens on hard acceleration runs, WOT or close. Lesser runs, normal traffic type acceleration, no squeel.

Obviously is is not supposed to happen, and I'm going to take her in to the dealer. It's easily reproducable.

What I'm asking is any ideas what it is so I can talk intelligently with the tech, and please don't tell me this is normal. My Marauder had a PI Stallion TC, but even with the stock TC, it never squeeled under WOT.

Also, am I doing damage with the WOT runs?
Only not on my SSR as it is a 6speed, but my 04 GMC Envoy with the same tranny as you have does that very same thing and has done it for a long time. I keep saying I'm going to take it to have it checked out but haven't yet. Let us know what you find out.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
I was just handed a new bulletin for 05 SSR and only 05. It's for the chirp in the front end under hard acceleration or WOT while upshifting or downshifting. it is due to the inertia of other componets on the serpentine drive system,czosing the belt to chirp. the repair is to replace the generator with part # 15288861. the bulletin # is 04-06-01-031A. Hope this helps out. ok Wingrider posted this a while back, Took care of the chirp/squeel in mine.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have also heard there is a problem with the serpentine belt slipping under WOT on the '05's in a certain serial number range. And have also heard replacing the alternator was one of the fixes. I think you need to contact a GM dealer for a warranty fix and have them look into the TSB that applies.

Doug

·
OP
8,225 Posts
generator

It is NOT the tranny, but is the generator. There is a fix but not a TSB, so your dealer will have to contact the GM offices for the correct part number. Changing the belt only WILL NOT fix the problem.
Do a search on this site for generator and you will find the new part number.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
my 05 made same noise i thought it came from trans also dealer changed
altanater and noise is gone

·
Registered
96 Posts
I saw this and called my dealership and they scheduled the TSB...

"I was just handed a new bulletin for 05 SSR and only 05. It's for the chirp in the front end under hard acceleration or WOT while upshifting or downshifting. it is due to the inertia of other componets on the serpentine drive system,czosing the belt to chirp. the repair is to replace the generator with part # 15288861. the bulletin # is 04-06-01-031A. Hope this helps out. ok Wingrider posted this a while back, Took care of the chirp/squeel in mine."

Thanks Ross!!!!!!

I had the fix done and the sound is also gone. It took about a week to get the part in. It was on backorder.

·
OP
8,225 Posts
You are correct!

:agree So, they finally issued an official TSB, my dealer would have loved that, hell who knows, their call, and many others, may have pushed it along. :thumbs

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have also had the alternator replaced under warranty due to the TSB. We looked at the replacement alternator and it has a cover over the center hub. Under this is a sprag or one way clutch. It allows the belt to "freewheel" or overrun due to the inertia of the belt drive system during torque management controlled full throttle (or close to full throttle) upshifts. My guess is if you could delete (or reduce) torque management that would fix the belt squeel issue also.
Frank

·
Registered
123 Posts
still a problem.

What is sad is that I have a '06 built 2 months ago and it has the 1st to 2nd gear chirp under the hood also. You might think that they would have at least fixed this problem on the production line since they know it is a problem. :confused

·
Banned
183 Posts
Broomer said:
What is sad is that I have a '06 built 2 months ago and it has the 1st to 2nd gear chirp under the hood also. You might think that they would have at least fixed this problem on the production line since they know it is a problem. :confused

Well I read somewhere that GM had not decided on a fix for it. They knew it made the noise but were not sure that changing the Alt would truly fix the problem. Also on a low volume car like the SSr GM looks at a problem like this as a nuisance and not a drivability issue so stuff like belt squeels and driveline "tinks and pops" are a low priority as long as there isn't a drivability issue associated with the sound. If the SSr were a higher volume car it would be addressed quicker and looked at as being more important.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One of the few things I miss...

about my Marauder - it had a clutched alternator. Under WOT the PCM would command the alternator to shut off and freewheel. I had installed digital gauges including a voltmeter, and it always fun to point out to passengers the display on the voltmeter dropping to under 12 and truggering the out of range alarm under WOT, then let up and watch the alt kick back on and the volts rise back up to normal.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
IllinoisSSR

I understand what you are saying., and I couldn't personally care less about the 1st to 2nd gear chirp except for one thing. Will it cause premature wear on alternator or belt that I will have to deal with after warranty is gone? Same thing for my "pinging"drive shaft.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
Neither of the items Broomer notes should be a durability issue. These are pleasiblity customer satisfaction items. Is it really worth it to have a dealer touch your vehicle for these things?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I agree. My 05 auto does it also, however, I will live with it. It doesn't effect the driveability. Although the last few days it seems to have stopped? Maybe the cooler weather?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts