Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’m new on here and had a question I hope someone could help me with, I just purchased a 2006 ssr, has 155k on it. When the transmission is cold it shifts hard going into 2nd. I would for a chevy dealer and my trans guy had me replace the 1-2 accumulator, did that and still shifts hard. So he said let’s try the valve body, did that to and it still does it. I have $1000 bucks already tied into just the transmission alone and it’s not fixed. No shavings in the pan either.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
cfountain88 this is not good news this Monday morning. But let me take this opportunity to :00000732: you to the SSRfanatical world !!! Please hang in there ... HELP is on the way in the form of this web site. Somebody in our vast number of members will be on here shortly with some good advice.

Again :00000732: :00000732: :00000732: Oh, where's home, meaning where do you park your 006 SSR ??? Don't forget to let us know what color it is also.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,275 Posts
I don't know much about the trans, but since this is a relatively new purchase for you, did you have the computer program checked in the transmission shop where you work? Did they check to see if there is a Corvette servo in it? More than likely those were checked but just thought I would throw that out there.

Many SSR owners complain about soft 1-2 shift so they often either bump up the pressures with a programmer or install a Corvette servo. If you swapped out the accumulator, which is a common area for this problem, I would check the programmed pressures and also see if someone swapped out the servo.

Where are you located? There is a great SSR transmission guy in Texas. His name is Greg Ducato and owns Pheonix Transmissions. You can PM him after you get a few more posts under your belt or just look up the business on the web and contact him directly to see if he has any ideas.

Definitely a bummer you have tossed quite a bit of time and money and still no fix, hope a solution happens soon.

Welcome to the group.....

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,392 Posts
cfountain88, when @Greg Ducato the Trans. guy sees this he will help. Also like mentioned above, a previous owner may have installed the Corvette Servo. When you fill out your Profile someone close by can meet you and ride/drive to compare the shifts. Meantime---Welcome from Forney Texas!!! You will discover that you have found the BEST FORUM ever!---Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" something, it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

And, if you decide on a "Lifetime or Premium" Membership, you will get more benefits and no ads!? and show appreciation for tips and help. Click "Get Premium" under the Red Banner, read and compare the Advantages!!

Nick & Kathy

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,065 Posts
A big hearty welcome from Sunny Sturgis South Dakota!!!!

Reactions: tennesseecozydog

·
Premium Member
5,894 Posts
Is it possible wrong fluid. I have a 6 speed in my Dodge diesel and had a clutch put in and synchronizers and the guy put the wrong fluid in didn't shift right, Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Hey you Guys & Gals, don't forget to :00000732: cfountain88 to our SSRfanatic fraternity. Thank you Auggie Doggie. I know he's having Tranny problems and that is the number 1 concern, but hey it's good to have a new Fanatic Brother. :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

It looks like we're getting new members quite often these days which is especially good for the 2019 SSR International Rally next October.

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
44,544 Posts
Welcome From Western Pa !!!!!! :00000732: Sorry about your shifting problems get back to Greg Ducato ( post 6 ) he is the guy to go to with trany problems !!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,012 Posts
Hello, I’m new on here and had a question I hope someone could help me with, I just purchased a 2006 ssr, has 155k on it. When the transmission is cold it shifts hard going into 2nd. I would for a chevy dealer and my trans guy had me replace the 1-2 accumulator, did that and still shifts hard. So he said let’s try the valve body, did that to and it still does it. I have $1000 bucks already tied into just the transmission alone and it’s not fixed. No shavings in the pan either.
Welcome to the family.

Look up Phoenix Transmission and give @Greg Ducato a call. He’s great and knows his stuff. He even responded to this thread below (or above, depending on your sorting setting)...

I speak from experience, as he rebuilt my transmission about a month ago, it’s no longer lazy and my R really accelerates much better when you put the spurs to her and drives normally when you don’t.

Excerpt from a conversation as we were driving around last week:
Wife: I thought you fixed the rear end moving around with all the suspension work you did. What’s going on?
Me: Yep, but now she really accelerates much harder. See? (A quick demonstration follows)
Wife: Yeah....OK, I guess I’ll have to be more careful again.
Me: Yep :grin2:, and just wait until....
(True story)

- Robert
:silver:

·
Premium Member
5,894 Posts
Welcome to the family.

Look up Phoenix Transmission and give @Greg Ducato a call. He’s great and knows his stuff. He even responded to the thread below...

I speak from experience, as he rebuilt my transmission about a month ago, it’s no longer lazy and my R really accelerates much better when you put the spurs to her and drives normally when you don’t.

Excerpt from a conversation as we were driving around last week:
Wife: I thought you fixed the rear end moving around with all the suspension work you did. What’s going on?
Me: Yep, but now she really accelerates much harder. See? (A quick demonstration follows)
Wife: Yeah....OK, I guess I’ll have to be more careful again.
Me: Yep /forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_grin.png, and just wait until....
(True story)

- Robert
Post #6 Greg already responded.

·
MY05SSR
583 Posts
Welcome from Danielsville Georgia! Welcome to the family also! You will get a lot of feedback from this family that is very knowledgeable but I can't help, mine is a six speed. I've had somewhat issue's with other cars by swapping servo valves and pressure settings reprogrammed so these guys sound like they are on the right track
john

·
Premium Member
6,135 Posts
A shop would need to hook up a line pressure gauge to monitor pressure differences between cold and hot trans operation. If the line pressure is higher when cold, then the shop would need to find out why. This can be caused by issues outside of the trans like Mass Airflow Sensor, Throttle Position Sensor, etc causing the computer to command higher line pressure than would be normal. All these items can be tested and monitored with the right diagnostic tools. I wouldn't replace a single part till I spent some time doing proper diagnostics to determine the problem.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Reminds me of the guy who went to the doctor and said, "Hey Doc, it hurts when I do this". Doc said, "Then don't do it."

Maybe you could just warm up your truck before your drive it??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kinda hard to warm up a transmission when it’s just sitting.

Reminds me of the guy who went to the doctor and said, "Hey Doc, it hurts when I do this". Doc said, "Then don't do it."

Maybe you could just warm up your truck before your drive it??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wasn’t sure if I mentioned that it’s the transmission temperature that has to warm up before it shifts correctly.

A shop would need to hook up a line pressure gauge to monitor pressure differences between cold and hot trans operation. If the line pressure is higher when cold, then the shop would need to find out why. This can be caused by issues outside of the trans like Mass Airflow Sensor, Throttle Position Sensor, etc causing the computer to command higher line pressure than would be normal. All these items can be tested and monitored with the right diagnostic tools. I wouldn't replace a single part till I spent some time doing proper diagnostics to determine the problem.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts